Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 PM

Default Are state jail prisons being shut down?

my husband wrote me from Bradshaw state jail, he said he was talking to another inmate whose mother wrote him telling him that state jails in Texas are being shut down & have to have all inmates doing state jail time out by April 29th of this year, & the units will only be housing tdc inmates, the inmates that have 6 months or more time left will go finish out their time in their county jail..I've tried researching but can't find much about it..does anybody else know anything about this? this would work in our favor if it is true, but i don't wanna get my hopes up
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 01:23 PM

I don't think they'd shut them all down, there are a lot of them. And there is a difference between a jail and a prison. I wish they'd shut down the prisons too.
The Following User Says Thank You to angrybird26 For This Useful Post:
msladyj75 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Super Mod

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,924 Times in 3,178 Posts

This sounds like one of the many rumors that get started out there. As far as I know, closing anything related to Texas Prisons or Jails would have to come from the Texas Legislature, and they're not even deciding anything yet. The last big change they did was to award diligent participation to State Jail offenders, but that's only if the offense was committed after Sept. 1, 2011. The Lege will meet again in 2013, but nothing has happened yet. Sorry!
The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:
Mike1963 (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 PM

I don't see how they could shut State jails and move anyone with more than 6 months to county! In Midland, we are so overcrowded in the county jail that they sometimes have to ship inmates to area county jails because there is absolutely NO ROOM! I can't see them bringing inmates from area prisons in!

Last edited by KiKi2three; 02-09-2013 at 07:05 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanked 3,973 Times in 2,369 Posts

In order to close State Jail facilities, it would take legislative intervention due to the entire schema being based upon legislative mandate. Rumors tend to fly this time of year because of different bills being introduced (even those that have no chance in hell of passing out of Committee much less ever seeing the governor's desk) but I expect the rumor mill to get even heavier because of Whitmire's comment the other day when he raked the agency over the coals about contracts when State-owned beds sat empty. That is something that would impact BOTH ID and SJD beds since Dawson houses both (and was one specifically named by John).

Given the number of facilities that HAVE State Jail beds, I could easily envision a scenario where beds were re-allocated and some that housed both were flipped to house just one or the other. But to say which ones...would simply be speculation. However, I can tell you it would not be something that happened by the end of April.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Mike1963 (02-10-2013), Onedaycloser13 (02-11-2013), Renee (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 PM

Whitmire has already proposed closing Dawson. It sits on prime commercial real estate. He's proposed closing the transfer unit in Mineral Wells.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 AM

Thanked 4,941 Times in 2,964 Posts

As CenTexLyn wrote, TDC might choose to close a particular facility for some reason but State Jails are going nowhere unless the legislature first does away with them in the statutes and my thought is that the thought of tackling something like that isn't on any state legislator's mind. When Robin went back in 2 1/2 years ago this same talk was rampant and there seemed to be TDC action to support the notion ... such as drastic reduction of the state jail population at some facilites, including removal of some confines back the jail of their county of conviction to complete their sentence. However, all the state jails are still up and running today.
Renee (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM

When I saw my LO on Sunday he said they are probably going to close the state jails in very rural areas and move people. How he knows this, being in prison, who knows. I'm sure it's speculation, but it's an idea. They'll crowd people anywhere knowing these people.