Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM

Default Where are inmates getting all this contraband from?

My brother is in Chino CDC facility in Norco, CA. There are cell phones, tobbaco, heroin, and other items that should not be in the inmate cells being used! He is being coerced into buying some of these items in an exorbitant amount. If visitors are searched before they are to visit the inmates, how are these items being accessed by the inmates incarcerated? My only guess is that they are being brought in by the Officers and Staff that work at this prison. There sould be an investigation into these practices done by Officers and Staff members. If it doesn't get resoved soon, it may be necessary to start some kind of campaign with government/federal authorities to investigate these occurances.
The Following User Says Thank You to Talker2013 For This Useful Post:
ap&sd4ever (02-05-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Chocolate Drop

Yes the outside staff along with the C/O's are bring the stuff in that you can believe. The C/O's get $1,500 per cell phone they take in. My friend is a C/O and she tells me all the stories.
The Following User Says Thank You to holliberry For This Useful Post:
schatzie73 (02-06-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
I Embrace the Void

Exactly! The Co's bring it in. My boyfriend told me about the cell phones and their prices too. He just died of an overdose in USP Terre Haute., last week... Looks like the prison is trying to keep it hush hush....Also, the warden there sent my X husband copies of my and J's personal letters back and forth,..just becaues he found out about us and asked for them... which got me an ass beating and a weekend in jail back in Nov.....I think it's awful that there aren't more investigations into these facilities...They're behaving worse than the inmates. Something definitely needs to be done. and it's little ol us VS. them....makes me SICK!!!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:26 PM

Thanked 1,069 Times in 354 Posts

Let’s not just blame staff. Yes, there are crooked staff who bring in contraband but a lot does come from visitors/mail/things tossed over the fence/etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveYourself1st For This Useful Post:
Love.D (02-09-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 04:27 PM
DiscoFever

This is a huge issue in Georgia also. It really makes me mad. That inmates (including my boyfriend) have access to these things because it only causes more conflict within the prison. They sentence them to all these hard years to "keep them off the streets" and yet they bring the drama of the streets into the prisons.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Donation Award 

It is a combination. Sure some staff bring it in just like some visitors. It comes through the mail. It gets thrown over fences. You can't just blame the staff or the visitors......fact is if you want it you can get it and if you don't want it you look the other way and keep on going......

My therapist set half a glass of water in front of me. He asked me if I was an optimist or a pessimist. So I drank the water and told him I was a problem solver.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LadyBlaise For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-05-2013), nakeisha99 (02-12-2013), Renee (02-04-2013), schatzie73 (02-06-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM

I'm confused. How can he be coerced into buying contraband? I thought contraband is only purchased by those who want it and can afford it. Someone explain that part to me???
Mt. 25:34-36... "...'Come, you who are blessed by my Father...For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in...I was in prison and you came to visit me.'"
The Following User Says Thank You to LBee For This Useful Post:
S.o.A.Fan (02-07-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Thanked 1,069 Times in 354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBee View Post
I'm confused. How can he be coerced into buying contraband? I thought contraband is only purchased by those who want it and can afford it. Someone explain that part to me???
The reason contraband makes it way into prison is because there is a high demand for it. I highly doubt anyone is being pressured to buy contraband. The is way more demand than contraband. If you loved one really wasn’t interested, they would just move on to the next inmate.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveYourself1st For This Useful Post:
LBee (02-05-2013), s&talways (02-06-2013), S.o.A.Fan (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBee View Post
Thank you lbee. I was thinking the same thing. How is he being coerced into buying things. I think he's telling u a white lie there. U either want it or u don't. And by the sound of it he wants it'd it. Soo when he uses the word coerced I think that's a way for. Or a word he uses for u guys to pay for it vs saying I want it so you need to pay. It sounds like he is lyibg to u. By the way chino isn't in norco they night be in riverside but 2 different cities.

Instgead of blaming this or that just th ink of it as if u want it that bad they will fibd a way to get it. U make ur brother out to be a saint n a prison as a resort. Reality check its prison

Masive typos but I'm using this keypadon my phone and took off correct spell chexck

Last edited by S.o.A.Fan; 02-07-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 03:56 PM

Where there is a demand, there will always be those who find a way to supply the demand. There are plenty of people who went to prison for bad choices and have no interest/desire to change their behavior, and those are the people who are resourceful enough to get contraband into the prisons.

There is no one single reason or method either. As others have said, it's a combination of COs who break rules, visitors who manage to smuggle things in, letters and packages in the mail that slip by the monitors, throwing things over fences, etc. But at the end of the day, anyone who is caught buying or selling contraband is as culpable as the source that initially got the contraband into the prison. So to simply say "Blame those dirty COs!" is a completely inaccurate, narrow way of looking at the situation.

Even if a CO does break the law and come in and sell contraband (whatever that might be) to inmates...there are still inmates who buy it in the first place. A CO wouldn't do it if there wasn't a demand/market for it. Everyone's culpable. Trust me, if there wasn't a single CO in the world who brought in contraband the inmates who wanted to break the rules would still find other ways to get it. That's just the way it works. Supply and demand. So long as there's a profit to be made, there will be those willing to take the risk.

And, as others have said, those who want to keep their noses clean...keep their noses clean. End of story. No one can be forced to break the rules. Peer pressure is something we learn about in elementary school; you either learn to say 'no' to it, or you don't. That's true whether in prison or not.
I am the captain of my soul."

The Following User Says Thank You to Atomic Songbird For This Useful Post:
PrettyEnPointe (02-10-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 04:47 PM

Default about inmates getting contraband

it not hard to get stuff in or out.. it all depends on the cos working on shift that day or night. cellphones are most common easy way to make alot of money with inmates using it to call thier family.. make a good profit.. as for drugs anything that can make money somebody always find a way..
Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,752 Times in 5,286 Posts

This thread has gotten seriously off topic. The posters original question was:

If visitors are searched before they are to visit the inmates, how are these items being accessed by the inmates incarcerated?

Now, with that being said, as other posters have stated, there are numerous ways to get contraband into prisons. It's been going on for years before now, and in spite of nnumerous investigations, it will likely continue.

As for the other speculations of coercion, that is another ball altogether. Other posters have stated things you may not wish to hear. The truth can hurt. That is not a reason to take jabs at other posters.

Introducing PTO Quarterly -Fall 2014 Issue Read All About it Right Here!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
Atomic Songbird (02-08-2013), Patty (02-08-2013), Renee (02-08-2013), S.o.A.Fan (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Donation Award 

Someone could be coerced into buying something for someone else......People threaten others in there all the time for money and power. I can see them threatening someone if they wanted something illegal and didn't have the money to get it.

My therapist set half a glass of water in front of me. He asked me if I was an optimist or a pessimist. So I drank the water and told him I was a problem solver.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 PM

CO'S and staff a lot of the time. My uncle was somewhere in South Jersey and told me all kinds of stories.

Marissa & Brian Burkhardt
VXIIIXII
XIIXXXIXIII
Always

Last edited by MizFormaldehyde; 02-09-2013 at 08:49 PM..