Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Correctional Training Facility, Soledad (CTF) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Correctional Training Facility, Soledad (CTF) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to the Correctional Training Facility located in Soledad, California.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:10 PM

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,055 Posts
Default 2013/14 CTF Visitation & Dress Code Thread

If it’s about visiting, dress code or visiting approval it goes here.
This thread is for INFO, Q&A ONLY.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM

I have appointments to visit my man for the first time 2/2 & 2/3. I have never dealt with the CDC visiting process so I am a little unsure of what to expect. I have heard that I have to take a bus for North visits but that's about all I know. My appointments are at 8am, what time should I get to the facility? ANY info from you ladies that know the drill would be helpful and very much appreciated. L
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 AM
New love, new life
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno42 View Post
I have appointments to visit my man for the first time 2/2 & 2/3. I have never dealt with the CDC visiting process so I am a little unsure of what to expect. I have heard that I have to take a bus for North visits but that's about all I know. My appointments are at 8am, what time should I get to the facility? ANY info from you ladies that know the drill would be helpful and very much appreciated. L
I try to arrive about 20 minutes before my appointment time. Bring extra clothes with you in case they make you change. You can use the Friends Outside trailer across from the parking lot for that. (Dress code is a whole other topic). But the easy rule is, black and loose are safest, and no underwire bra.

You park in visitor parking and walk to the flagpole, where the bus is usually late LOL. If you need to get change for the vending machines, there is a machine in front of the building where you wait. It changes bills into dollar coins. (If you want to buy photos, though, bring a few dollar bills with you because the photo ducat machine doesn't take coins.)

DO take a printout of your appointment with you if you have one! The driver will call names from a list and will take the printouts from any who are not on the list.

Then they drive you to North visiting, where you WAIT some more until your name is called. They check you on the computer and you walk through the metal detector. They stamp your wrist and give you a piece of paper. Sometimes they ask you to sign it and sometimes they don't. Once through the metal detector, you can buy tickets from the photo machine. Each photo is $2.

You walk through two iron gates to visiting and go up to the podium, hand the guy or gal your paper and they will give you a food ticket and assign you a table. Be prepared to share!! CTF is the only prison I've been to where you have to share tables with other visitors and inmates. Due to crowding, they also terminate visits a lot starting around 1 pm, but since this is your first time, they shouldn't do that.

You can buy food from the vending machines while you wait for your inmate.

Then your inmate comes out and you enjoy your five second hug and kiss and the rest of your visit. By the way, don't be surprised if it's more than an hour after your appointment time before you finally see your man — CTF is sloowwww!

But that said, if you've been waiting more than 20 minutes once inside the visiting room, it doesn't hurt to politely ask the person at the podium to check on whether they've called up your guy. My man's building is notorious for forgetting to call them

The guards are pretty laid back and friendly there but they do sometimes trip about the rules, so remember the only touching you're allowed until the end of visit is to hold hands. During photos he can usually have an arm around you, although officially, "hugging" is not allowed.

The food ticket is to line up for a vendor who comes in and has pretty decent, overpriced cafe-style food . They'll call numbers when it's time to line up (if you don't get a number you just line up after everyone else.)

If you need to use the restroom during the visit, you have to take your ID with you and a guard will let you back through the visitor processing office.

At the end of visit, you get another five second hug/kiss and then line up to get your piece of paper from the podium. Then they process you out and you take the bus back to parking.

Both the guards and fellow visitors are generally very friendly when you are polite, so don't be afraid to ask if you don't know what to do next!

Wow, I didn't realize I was going to write a NOVEL!

CTF visiting is unlike any other prison I've been to, so I figure the more you know the better. Except for the overcrowding and terminations, I actually like it there better than most LOL. If that makes sense.

Let's give 'em something to talk about!

Last edited by qwerty; 01-19-2013 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: typos
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qwerty For This Useful Post:
ap&sd4ever (08-06-2013), Edie T (01-22-2013), escrappy818 (03-01-2013), hisrock55 (02-27-2014), Mrsjc (03-14-2014), psalm3418 (08-23-2013), Reno42 (01-20-2013), SonsMother (06-01-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 PM

Thank you so much qwerty!! I greatly appreciate all of your details and the time it took you to respond. I hope that, with all your info, I will be able to enjoy a relatively easy first visit. Again, thank you!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Reno42 For This Useful Post:
qwerty (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
I try to arrive about 20 minutes before my appointment time. Bring extra clothes with you in case they make you change. You can use the Friends Outside trailer across from the parking lot for that. (Dress code is a whole other topic). But the easy rule is, black and loose are safest, and no underwire bra.

You park in visitor parking and walk to the flagpole, where the bus is usually late LOL. If you need to get change for the vending machines, there is a machine in front of the building where you wait. It changes bills into dollar coins. (If you want to buy photos, though, bring a few dollar bills with you because the photo ducat machine doesn't take coins.)

DO take a printout of your appointment with you if you have one! The driver will call names from a list and will take the printouts from any who are not on the list.

Then they drive you to North visiting, where you WAIT some more until your name is called. They check you on the computer and you walk through the metal detector. They stamp your wrist and give you a piece of paper. Sometimes they ask you to sign it and sometimes they don't. Once through the metal detector, you can buy tickets from the photo machine. Each photo is $2.

You walk through two iron gates to visiting and go up to the podium, hand the guy or gal your paper and they will give you a food ticket and assign you a table. Be prepared to share!! CTF is the only prison I've been to where you have to share tables with other visitors and inmates. Due to crowding, they also terminate visits a lot starting around 1 pm, but since this is your first time, they shouldn't do that.

You can buy food from the vending machines while you wait for your inmate.

Then your inmate comes out and you enjoy your five second hug and kiss and the rest of your visit. By the way, don't be surprised if it's more than an hour after your appointment time before you finally see your man — CTF is sloowwww!

But that said, if you've been waiting more than 20 minutes once inside the visiting room, it doesn't hurt to politely ask the person at the podium to check on whether they've called up your guy. My man's building is notorious for forgetting to call them

The guards are pretty laid back and friendly there but they do sometimes trip about the rules, so remember the only touching you're allowed until the end of visit is to hold hands. During photos he can usually have an arm around you, although officially, "hugging" is not allowed.

The food ticket is to line up for a vendor who comes in and has pretty decent, overpriced cafe-style food . They'll call numbers when it's time to line up (if you don't get a number you just line up after everyone else.)

If you need to use the restroom during the visit, you have to take your ID with you and a guard will let you back through the visitor processing office.

At the end of visit, you get another five second hug/kiss and then line up to get your piece of paper from the podium. Then they process you out and you take the bus back to parking.

Both the guards and fellow visitors are generally very friendly when you are polite, so don't be afraid to ask if you don't know what to do next!

Wow, I didn't realize I was going to write a NOVEL!

CTF visiting is unlike any other prison I've been to, so I figure the more you know the better. Except for the overcrowding and terminations, I actually like it there better than most LOL. If that makes sense.

Qwerty, I read all you wrote and was it helpful!!!! I was really starting to get nervous about my visits coming up this weekend. My man told me about the extra clothes, etc. All the other details he didn't mention because, he has never gotten visit @ CTF before. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR DETAILS!!! I'm now just nervous about the clothes.
The Following User Says Thank You to shrte78 For This Useful Post:
qwerty (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM
New love, new life
Donation Award 

You're welcome, glad it helped, I've been there.

Actually CTF is not as uptight about clothes as other places I've been, but you never know. From what I've seen, the number one problem is too-tight pants, like leggings, and low-cut tops.

Also be careful about jeans that look more like blue than black. They don't like blue, grey, khaki and dark green because those are colors that inmates and staff wear.

But really, don't stress. Worst case, they send you back to change and they'll pick you up on the next bus. I've seen people go back to change and they still started visiting only a few minutes after me when all the processing was over.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 PM
New love, new life
Donation Award 

Quote:
Thank you so much qwerty!! I greatly appreciate all of your details and the time it took you to respond. I hope that, with all your info, I will be able to enjoy a relatively easy first visit. Again, thank you!!
You're welcome! You can't believe how many people at PTO have helped me, too.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions of an inexpensive but decent place to stay somewhat close to the prison? I am finding a few places but would like to get real input from those of you who have been there recently. As always, thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions of an inexpensive but decent place to stay somewhat close to the prison? I am finding a few places but would like to get real input from those of you who have been there recently. As always, thanks in advance for any ideas.

This is my first time going, but found a place in King City for $69 a night. The motel is called Courtesy Inn. I found a Motel 6 near by for $70+ a night. I wish I knew of more places. I'm just hoping for the best right now. I guess once I get the hang of it, the area will be more familiar. I think this is the most nerve wrecking for me. Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
New love, new life
Donation Award 

Also, Salinas is only 15-20 minutes away and it has a bunch of motels at Airport Blvd. exit and Market/Kern St. exit (by the In N Out Burger).

Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Also, Salinas is only 15-20 minutes away and it has a bunch of motels at Airport Blvd. exit and Market/Kern St. exit (by the In N Out Burger).

I have a few questions about the money. You stated they have machines outside where one can get change. Can I take quarters? Also what is the exact limit of how much money I can have one me? I keep reading $30, but then saw somewhere that it can be $50....really confused!!! Please help!!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM
New love, new life
Donation Award 

$50 per adult... and I think $30 per kid in your group.

You can take quarters, dollar coins, and / or one dollar bills. I saw them send someone back who had dimes and nickels, though even tho I've seen those coins allowed at other prisons. Go figure.

And trust me, when you see the food vendor's prices, you'll realize why you need the whole $50!

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 PM

Smile

Quote:
$50 per adult... and I think $30 per kid in your group.

You can take quarters, dollar coins, and / or one dollar bills. I saw them send someone back who had dimes and nickels, though even tho I've seen those coins allowed at other prisons. Go figure.

And trust me, when you see the food vendor's prices, you'll realize why you need the whole $50!
Thank you for your reply! I'm taking quarters and bills. You've been very helpful!!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Well, it is 9:42am and I am still sitting in the parking lot for my 8am appt! Apparently the fog creates a problem because the guards can't see if the inmates were to escape!?!?! If its that easy to get past them, there are some BIG problems here!!! Hopefully I will get to see my husband today, it's been nearly 7 months and I really miss him!! This is so frustrating!!!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 PM

Thanked 1,718 Times in 644 Posts

Quote:
Well, it is 9:42am and I am still sitting in the parking lot for my 8am appt! Apparently the fog creates a problem because the guards can't see if the inmates were to escape!?!?! If its that easy to get past them, there are some BIG problems here!!! Hopefully I will get to see my husband today, it's been nearly 7 months and I really miss him!! This is so frustrating!!!!!
Whenever it is foggy at CTF they have to do an additional count. They call it fog count. It happens frequently this time of year
Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 PM

Default CTF Visiting Day

Are there visits at CTF on Saturday and Sunday? My husband just transfered and I have never been there before. Also can I drive there straight on the 101 North? Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 PM

Depends wut yard hes on n yes its off the 101 freeway
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDIDZYFY View Post
Depends wut yard hes on n yes its off the 101 freeway
Thanks! Right now he is on X yard fish row. I guess I should wait until he has his regular housing! Dam I haven't seen or talk to him since Jan 1st going a little insane. The good part is I have lost about 25 pounds since he has been gone. Some from stress but the rest from dieting and exercise. I can't wait for him to see me!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 AM

If u visit while on X it will be non contact
Old 03-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Thanks! You have been alot of help. I will wait until I can touch 4 hours is a long way to drive and not be able to touch! Dam this is feeling like feeling like forever I so ready to touch and see him.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy's View Post
Thanks! You have been alot of help. I will wait until I can touch 4 hours is a long way to drive and not be able to touch! Dam this is feeling like feeling like forever I so ready to touch and see him.
Good luck with finding out soon. I felt that way when I was thinking of driving up without an appointment. NOT worth driving 4 hours and only spending 2 hours or so....
Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 PM

Going for my first visit this weekend!!! Hoping that it'll go smoothly. And that there is no lockdowns before I make my trip. 4 hours is a long drive! Any advice/tips? I think my wardrobe is going to clear, just nervous about procedures and stuff. And I was confused when I called to see if it was his yard's weekend...they didn't specify which yards turn it was. In his last letter he said he wasn't sure if his North yard had visitation this weekend because he was getting different answers from everyone. I set up an appt through VPASS so wouldn't it have not allowed an appointment if it wasn't his yard's turn?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escrappy818 View Post
Going for my first visit this weekend!!! Hoping that it'll go smoothly. And that there is no lockdowns before I make my trip. 4 hours is a long drive! Any advice/tips? I think my wardrobe is going to clear, just nervous about procedures and stuff. And I was confused when I called to see if it was his yard's weekend...they didn't specify which yards turn it was. In his last letter he said he wasn't sure if his North yard had visitation this weekend because he was getting different answers from everyone. I set up an appt through VPASS so wouldn't it have not allowed an appointment if it wasn't his yard's turn?
How exciting...I had my first visits back in late Jan. This weekendhad if I'm correct North B yard. I had visits last week for yard a which I had to cancel...so it's b's turn. Even if they are on lockdown they can get visits. Where are you driving from? The reason I ask is because I had quite an interesting 4 hr drive my first time because of the rain. The grapevine is crazy!! Check the weather before you leave and sigalerts.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 PM

crap I think he said he's on A yard...how do I find out which one for sure? I'm going to have to call...
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM

and I'm driving from the high desert on the 101N
The Following User Says Thank You to escrappy818 For This Useful Post:
C Grams (01-27-2014)