Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Loving my King
Donation Award 

Default Companies That Hire ex Felons

Here is a list of companies that Hire Ex-felons

AAMCO Transmissions
Abbott Laboratories
Ace Hardware
Alamo Rent a Car
Alaska Airlines
Alberto-Culver
Allied Van Lines
Allstate Insurance
America West Air
American Airlines
American Express
American Greetings
Anderson Windows
AON Computer
Archer Daniel's Midland
ARCO
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co
AT&T
Atlas Van Lines
Avis Rent-A-Car
Avon Products
Bally’s
Baskin-Robbins
Baxter International
Best Foods
Best Western
BF Goodrich
Black and Decker
Blue Cross/Blue Shield
Boeing
Bridgestone/Firestone
British Airways
Brunswick Corp
Budget Rent-A-Car
Calvin Klein
Campbell Soups
Canon USA
Career Education Group
Carrier A/C
Casio, Inc.
Caterpillar
CDW Computers
Chase Bank
Chicago Mercantile Exchange
Cintas
Circuit City
Coes-Coin
Coldwell Banker
Compaq Computer
ConAgra Foods
Dairy Queen
DAP Products
Deer & Co
Del Monte Foods
Dell Corporation
Delta Air Lines
Delta Faucets
Denny’s Inc.
Dole Foods
Dollar Rent A Car
Domino’s Pizza
Dow Brands
Dunkin Donuts
Dunlop Tires
DuPont Co.
Duracell
Eddie Bauer
Epson
Equity Office Property
Exelon
Exxon
Federal Express
First Health Group
Fortune Brands
Frito-Lay
Fruit of the Loom
Fuji Foto
Galuoub Toys
General Electric
General Growth Properties
General Mills
Georgia-Pacific
GMAC
Hanes Hosiery
Hewitt associates
Hilton Hotels
IBM
Illinois Tool Works
K-Mart
Kraft Foods
L.A. Times
McDonalds
Mobil Oil
Molex
Motorola
Navistar International
New York Times
Newsweek
Niki
Nisource
Northern Trust
Old Republic
Packaging Corp of America
PACTIV
Pepsi-Co
Phillip Morris
R.R Donnelley
Rubbermaid Inc.
Sara-Lee
Sears & Roebuck
ServiceMaster
Seven Up, Inc.
Shell Oil
Showtime Networks
Smurfit-Stone Container Corp.
Sony
Southwest Air
Sprint
Target Stores
Telephone & Data Systems
Tellabs
Toys*R*Us
Tribune Co
U.S Cellular
Uneven Investments
United Airlines
Verizon
W.W Grainger
Walgreens
Wal-Mart
Wrigley Co
Yumahn
Zebra Technologies Group
Zenith Electronics
Zerox

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miss Cornbread For This Useful Post:
4miBuddy (10-10-2012), Doll Eyes (09-05-2012), Donna May (01-23-2014), PrincessSinohui (09-06-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2012, 06:33 PM

I see Walmart is on your list. Walmart does not hire ex-cons. I know of a few guys who have applied at Walmart, was told they were hired but had to first pass a drug and background check. They all passed the drug test, but after a week or so of waiting and calling Walmart they finally get a letter in the mail stating that they are not being offered the job cause they could not pass the background check.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,203 Posts

Also, Target doesn't hire felons... They won't hire folks with certain misdomenors either.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 AM

Domino's doesn't hire felons.

Sent from my LG-C800 using PrisonTalk
Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 AM

Most McDonald's won't hire felons either. Hubby got denied a job in Florida and Cincinnati at McDonald's. However, he did get a job at a McDonald's in Northern Kentucky but that's only because the owner is too cheap to run background checks now and trust me, these stores are very poorly run!

Old 09-12-2012, 02:10 PM
taking a break

Some McDonalds are Franchise and other are Corporate. Corporate always does a background check but Franchisees can decide if they want to do a background check at their cost
Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 AM

Almost all the places that are listed don't hire anyone with a felony
Old 09-25-2012, 01:01 PM

Companies will say that they hire ex-felons To say we won't hire ex felons out right is a form of discrimination. Now saying and doing is a whole different thing.
If a person is total truthful on their application The background check is not the only reason they use. Simple and short " we have choose someone else to fill the position." Being a ex-offender and finding employment is a real challenge A lot depends on the person doing teh interview if you are getting hired or not
Further review of the above list I can pick out over half of these companies that will not hire ex felons

Last edited by Patrickj; 09-25-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 PM

I thought I'd throw this out there. My fiance works from home for a legitimate company. If anyone here is having a problem with obtaining employment we can help. We know how hard it is to find a job with a felony conviction. Just PM me if interested and I'll help if I can.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pengowin For This Useful Post:
layladies (03-13-2013), light at end (09-25-2012), Miss Cornbread (10-09-2012), rhydinthesky (12-25-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj
Companies will say that they hire ex-felons To say we won't hire ex felons out right is a form of discrimination. Now saying and doing is a whole different thing.
If a person is total truthful on their application The background check is not the only reason they use. Simple and short " we have choose someone else to fill the position." Being a ex-offender and finding employment is a real challenge A lot depends on the person doing teh interview if you are getting hired or not
Further review of the above list I can pick out over half of these companies that will not hire ex felons
Employers do say outright in some cases that they will not hire ex-offenders, and to my knowledge, it is perfectly legal. I asked the EEOC about this once, and their answer confused me more than helped me. I know someone else on PTO posted about Seattle I think trying to pass a law to make it illegal to discriminate against ex-offenders unless their crime directly pertains to the job to which they are applying.

My husband recently applied at SMX to work for Amazon. He played phone tag with them for over two Weeks regarding his background check but finally got a hold of them yesterday, and they told him to call back Monday, they'd have shifts available then. Hopefully come Monday he'll get to actually start working and he has four felonies, one of which he is currently on probation for. SMX is in Hebron, KY for anyone interested in applying. BTW, they also do hiring for Ryder at SMX and as soon as my hubby answered yes to felonies, they told him flat out no.

The Following User Says Thank You to Leowoman For This Useful Post:
Miss Cornbread (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Loving my King
Donation Award 

People in San jose get hired, I recommended a few and thy got jobs. The only ones that dont is lead and management type positions but if thye start from the bottom and make their way to the top they can earn the position

Quote:
Originally Posted by choco2nesquick View Post
I see Walmart is on your list. Walmart does not hire ex-cons. I know of a few guys who have applied at Walmart, was told they were hired but had to first pass a drug and background check. They all passed the drug test, but after a week or so of waiting and calling Walmart they finally get a letter in the mail stating that they are not being offered the job cause they could not pass the background check.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Loving my King
Donation Award 

We have to remember at the end of the day it is always up to the person in charge at the time. I am a hiring manager and believe to hear someone out before I deny them. Just because one door is closed always go to the next one and apply, be honest on the application and explain when necessary. Of course if you just call a company and ask them if they fire felons the answer will be no. You have to apply write down the situation and be open and honest. With corporations it works the same way. The company may allow felons however the hirin manager may just be against it and they have the final say. I hope this helps and NEVER let one company discourage you.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM
He's Home!

Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,405 Posts

Something my love learned while job hunting is that some companies may be eligible for a WOTC (Work Opportunity Tax Credit) for hiring a felon (sort of like an incentive for employers to hire & retain ex-felons).

He applied to so many companies & went on a few interviews which only helped him improve his interview skills as he went along until he landed the job he had been waiting for. It took about 2 months of active job hunting & persistance.

Key is to NOT be discouraged when one door is shut; there are companies out there that will give you the opportunity you are looking for.

"We are the perfect couple, we're just not in the perfect situation." ~ Unknown

Last edited by HisSunshine0071; 10-10-2012 at 04:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to HisSunshine0071 For This Useful Post:
Miss Cornbread (10-11-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 PM

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,122 Posts

costco will hire felons, I know a few who have been hired. The oil refineries will hire felons, and so do the sub-contractors that do work for the refineries. I'm not sure why, but in some counties even labor ready is doing background checks and turning down felons.

One thing to try is write something up and post it on Craigslist, sort of a mini-resume and admit to being an ex-felon and that you will do any honest work. A friend of my son's did that and got several jobs helping people move and fixing up houses, it held him over until he found a regular job.

If you go to church, let the priest or pastor know, sometimes they will talk to a parishioner who owns a business and help you get a job that way.

Main thing, be persistent and be creative =)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2sleepy For This Useful Post:
GsMom (12-25-2012), HisSunshine0071 (10-11-2012), layladies (03-13-2013), Miss Cornbread (10-11-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 07:59 AM

Thumbs up Information needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengowin View Post
I thought I'd throw this out there. My fiance works from home for a legitimate company. If anyone here is having a problem with obtaining employment we can help. We know how hard it is to find a job with a felony conviction. Just PM me if interested and I'll help if I can.
Can you please send this information to me, I am in need of this type of employment due to I am in school M-F from 8-4...this would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Rhydinthesky
The Following User Says Thank You to rhydinthesky For This Useful Post:
Miss Cornbread (12-26-2012)
Old 07-29-2013, 12:07 PM

Default Reply to your post

Quote:
Hello, my name is Brian and I recently graduated from business school at the University of Washington. I am now 26, and back in 2005 at the ripe age of 18, I allowed myself to briefly slip up and I committed burglary. I have been struggling to find a job for the last several months upon graduation, and I saw your post and felt the need to reply to see what it was that your husband was able to do to overcome such an enormous obstacle in his job search. Whether or not you can help is kind of irrelevant; words of encouragement are equally important considering you can empathize with the degree of difficulty involved in one's life. I have no idea whether or not you will receive this, but if you do, I appreciate anything you have to offer! Thank you!

~Brian
Old 07-29-2013, 12:43 PM

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foleyb View Post
Hello, my name is Brian and I recently graduated from business school at the University of Washington. I am now 26, and back in 2005 at the ripe age of 18, I allowed myself to briefly slip up and I committed burglary. I have been struggling to find a job for the last several months upon graduation, and I saw your post and felt the need to reply to see what it was that your husband was able to do to overcome such an enormous obstacle in his job search. Whether or not you can help is kind of irrelevant; words of encouragement are equally important considering you can empathize with the degree of difficulty involved in one's life. I have no idea whether or not you will receive this, but if you do, I appreciate anything you have to offer! Thank you!

~Brian
Brian, there are several states that prohibit the reporting of a criminal record after 7 years, Washington state has that law but unfortunately it only refers to jobs with an annual salary of under $20,000 which seems kind of silly. California & Nevada do not allow reporting of any conviction more than 7 years old unless you are applying for a job such as a police officer or school teacher. here is a list of states that limit or do not allow reporting of criminal offenses after 7 years: http://www.krollbackgroundscreening....lReporting.pdf
Old 07-29-2013, 12:43 PM

Default Job for ex felons

Quote:
I would love to hear from you regarding this work from home opportunity.
Thank you in advance.