Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison Profiles > Georgia State Prisons > Coastal State Prison - Georgia
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Coastal State Prison - Georgia Topics and discussion specific to Coastal State Prison in Garden City, Georgia.

Old 05-02-2004, 09:34 AM

Arrow Coastal State Prison, Georgia

COASTAL STATE PRISON
CHATHAM COUNTY, GA

ADDRESS:

POST OFFICE BOX 7150
GARDEN CITY, GA 31418-7150

TEL.: (912) 965-6330
FAX : (912) 966-6799

ADULT MALE FELONS
CAPACITY: 1580
CONSTRUCTED: 1981
OPENED: 1981
SECURITY LEVEL: MAXIMUM
RENOVATED: 1999

MISSION:
Provides diagnostic and intake services. Maintains a Level III Mental Health Unit.

HOUSING:
Consists of seven housing units each containing 36 cells. These 36 cells are divided into 12 two-man cells and 24 four-man cells. There are 44 Administrative Segregation cells and 30 Disciplinary cells and 15 Protective Custody cells. The L Building housing unit contains four 54-bed dorms. The N Building contains a 184 bed unit with two-man rooms. Another 384 additional beds are located in O and Q buildings with eight dorms within the two buildings.

WORK DETAILS:

Coastal State Prison has no outside details.

PROGRAMS:

Academic: GED

Substance Abuse: Substance Abuse 101, AA

Counseling: Release Orientation, Victim Impact, Family Violence, Corrective Thinking, Depression Group, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Life Issues, Communication Skills, Anger Management, Focus Group and Worry Control

Recreation: General Recreation

Religious Activities: Various Worship Services, Bible Study

Vocational/OJT: Horticulture, Food Preparation, Barbering

DIRECTIONS:
From Atlanta: I-75 South to I-16 East to I-95 just outside Savannah, then go North on I-95. Exit right onto Highway 21. Turn right at the first traffic light on Grumman Road. Cross two sets of railroad tracks and turn left at the sign.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coastal_sp.jpg (7.1 KB, 854 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2004, 02:24 PM
DJ1

Default Coastal State Prison

Can anyone give me any info on Diagnostics at this Prison, my son was just transferred last week, I have his ID number and other information from the GDC site. Anything else that may help me will surely be appreciated, can he have visitors, etc. Thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 08:16 PM

As far as i know,all diagnostics are about the same with visiters. You can visit after 6 weeks,since you're his mom. I answered your post in the parents forum btw...is you didn't see it

Last edited by Jennifer_04; 05-20-2004 at 08:17 PM..
Old 03-26-2005, 06:30 PM

My friends fiance was just transferred to this facility (2/22/05) and she needs to know how she can find out the rules reference visitation and how soon she can visit him. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:25 PM

In order to visit she will have to recieve the papers from her boyfriend, send them back and be approved. I was able to visit within about 5 weeks. Mine was there underdiagnostics for 12 weeks, so don't hold your breath about the 6-week thing. You visit in the gym accross from a table. If ya need anymore info PM me I can tell ya all about it.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:08 PM

This is described as an intake facility... does this mean my brother will be moved somewhere else? If so, when? What happens while he's at Coastal? Thanks!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:33 PM

Hi - the same sort of situation has happened to me - my fiance was just transferred today . . . so i understand i can't see him for six weeks - will he be able to use the phone? And so it's not a contact visit? You can't sit beside or hug the inmate?
Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 PM

well my guy called me the day after he got there ..he was going to call when he got there but i was at work he says .. so you should get phone calls ...and i havent been to visit yet but i heard it was contact visit .. like you got to sit across from the table and you got a hug when you come and go ...keeping my fingers crossed that i will get to go for a visit in a week or two but i dont know ... he says hopefully he will be moved from there since hes done with his test and classes ..
Old 10-26-2005, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkaurora
This is described as an intake facility... does this mean my brother will be moved somewhere else? If so, when? What happens while he's at Coastal? Thanks!
I second this question, my lover/fiance just got sent over today. This is my first adventure in the prison system, and I"m not sure what to expect. My Jonboy is goung back in on a parole violation. All charges are misdemeanors, all 1st offenses of the type... and the original charge was burglary...
I have no idea what to expect. They review his case in Feb, and I just don't know what to expect. I"m scared they'll send him back in for the full 6 he has left.
If anybody here has been where I am, and made it through, I"d LOVE to talk to you! Only peeps I have to ask right now are well, former inmates with very bitter opinions.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:58 PM

My husband was shipped out from the county jail Wendsday night and was sent to Coastal diagnostics. I have not heard from him since Wendsday and I am in bad shape!!! Does anyone know when I should hear from him? Will I be able to go and visit soon?If any one knows please help me out!!!!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:53 PM

hey . . . I'm not sure exactly when they're able to call but it shouldn't bee too long after they get there - so sometime soon for you i hope! You can't go and visit until 6 weeks!!! But I know if you were like me - it is worth waiting . . . I visited my fiance for 9 months! behind a glass and have yet to be able to hug him! But in a couple of weeks - after Christmas I'll get to. So 6 weeks after he is transferred you will be able to visit. I think you will be able to hug when you get there and sit across a table. The visits are only on weekends and are like 6 hours long. You can bring money for vending machines. Also - if he sends it to you in the mail in time - you can send him a box for Christmas - but he has to send you a request form.

Last edited by bumble_beezer; 12-12-2005 at 08:54 PM..
Old 01-15-2006, 07:35 PM
i love fatman!

Unhappy ?????

my boyfriend is about to be shiped to coastal....
i have done seen that i cant see him for 6 weeks
and maybe more. But can i write him and send money
or what can i send, (if i can write)? does anyone know?
if you do please let me know!!!! thank you so much!
Old 01-27-2006, 12:00 PM

My boyfriend was shipped there about 2 weks ago and i have heard nothing from him. are they allowed to write letters or use the phone???please let me know asap!!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:36 PM
aka klyn and I hate Ga

when my friend was sent to coastal he called me the same day...so i know they can call and write
Old 02-15-2006, 02:12 PM

My son was transferred there monday night. Luckily, I only live about 15 minutes from there, so its a short trip. I cant wait to see him again. I am used to seeing him twice a week, so now its a wait and see situation. I also have not heard from him since he got there. I am hopeful he will call soon. He is still awaiting court, but was sent ahead to coastal since he violated his parole. I just continue to pray and send good thoughts towards my son.

My son is Roy Bailey and he's 21 years old if you want your loved ones to say hello. Lord knows, I wish he could make a good friend in that place.
God bless all our locked away loved ones. God give us the strength to hold on while they are there.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:19 AM

my son's father was sent to coastal 1-31-06, its hard!!!! i know he'll be there a while, want buddies for support, please email me !!!
Old 02-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Lost_in_Ga

It's been a long time since my husband was there . I would imagine it's still the same . It takes about 6 weeks before you'll get visits . They're contact . A hug coming and going . You'll sit at a small table . We were able to hold hands sometimes . They have a lot of vending machines . Hot food too . Husband says he hated it there . Diagnostics .... ewww ! He said if you're going to be staying there the whole time , it's ok . Just diagnostics is hard . You're pretty much on lock down . They can write and get letters . They can use the phones too . Kinda hard to get to them tho . You're loved ones will be a lot happier when they get to where they'll be staying i'm sure but I wouldn't worry about em too much .I know that's easier to say than do . Good luck to yall
Old 02-27-2006, 12:35 PM

I used to be in Coastal about a year ago. If anyone has any questions or concerns, I am more than happy to answer them. As far as visitiation goes tara has pretty much got it right. When you first get to coastal you have to fill out a phone list & visitation list. The phone list has to be approved and put in the phone system to call that number. THe visitation list takes a while to get approved. As far as people worried about loved ones being shipped off to another prison, There is no set time that you get shipped. The guards come in twice a week at night & tell the inmates who needs to pack up. You won't know until they get to where they are going because they don't tell the inmates until after the phones are cut off. Some inmates get shipped off quickly(four or five weeks). Some stay a long time(8 months to a year). You should hope that your loved one gets shipped quickly. Nobody likes to stay at a diagnostic camp. Besides that Coastal is a mental health camp.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwj8741 For This Useful Post:
RosemaryGail (03-22-2009)
Old 02-28-2006, 05:14 PM

Hey K9lass!! My thoughts and prayers are with you also, my son's father is in coastal, he's been there a couple weeks, he'll be locked up for some time. I'm in Ohio so its very hard. I'm trying to adjust, its not easy, I just ask the Lord to hold my hand through all this. you are very lucky you live close. Whenever you need a buddy, send a message. God Bless!
Old 03-08-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Questions

My husband has just left the county jail yesterday. He was sent to Jackson but I received a letter from him saying he was on his way to Coastal. Will he stay there or is he just there for diagnostics? Is it a hard prison. What should he expect? Will he be able to go outside and get some fresh air? I see from other posts that I probably won't hear from him for a bout 6 weeks. Is that right? Thanks for all the information I can get.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:35 AM

Your husband will probably only be at Coastal for diagnostics. It's not a very hard prison, he just won't be able to do much. It's almost like your on lockdown all the time. He will get to go outside a little bit. Just not for to long. Believe me when I say that he will be ready to go to a permanent prison after six weeks. He could be there longer though. It took me over four months to get a spot at a permanent.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:37 PM
I love Dustin Ray 4-Ever

My fiance got shipped to Costal last week. So far he's gotten into 3 fights, and seen 2 stabbings. Should I be worried?

~*LaAmy'a Reece*~:love:
Old 03-09-2006, 02:56 PM

It is prison. He's going to see some crazy stuff. If he's been in 3 fights in a week then he needs to change some stuff or he's going to have a hard road. He can't go into prison thinking he's the top dog or having a chip on his shoulder because someone is going to want to show him up. Being in prison he's going to get in some fights. He shouldn't be fighting that much though. Does he have a bad attitude about being locked up? How much time does he have to do? There is a few tricks about staying clear of trouble. Tell him to stay out of the drug game & try not to gamble to much. I saw more people get hurt over those two things than anything else. Biggest thing is to not try and act bad. That puts a bullseye on your chest in prison. I find it kind of hard to believe that he has been in that many fights. Being at Coastal is almost like being locked down all the time. It's not that easy to fight in the diagnostic building and not get caught. I doubt that much has changed in less than a year. Just tell your fiance to cool it. that's my advice.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:32 PM

Default brotherly love

hello, I'm knew to this: I'm here searching for my baby brother. He was shipped out from Thomasville on Monday night. please let him know that his family got the phone call late Wednesday. Tell him to keep his head up and keep praying. We miss and love him dearly. Oh yeah his baby boy will be here real soon

Love always,
Phatface

keep smiling and praying!!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:10 PM
waiting for him

Phatface, Welcome to PTO and the Georgia Forums! I am sorry to say that inmates do not have access to the internet, so we cannot relay any information to him for you. You should be able to write him or receive letters in a few weeks. Good luck to the family and once again, welcome!