Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 PM

Default What is life in prison in Texas like?

My fiancee is serving 3 years, and is at the Holliday Unit, about to be transferred to the Daniel Unit sometime next month. What is life like in the daniel unit? Is it relaxed, or a lot of fights? Do they have bars or the steel doors? My fiancee says he feels a lot more comfortable with steel door cells instead of bars
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 06:15 AM

Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,967 Posts

It might take a complete book to attempt to describe what life is like in TDC. Since it really isn't possible to know without having been there and done that I'll leave any attempt at it to those that have. I think I can add that most units have both cell block and dorm housing arrangements and where one is housed depends upon them and their circumstance. My wife lives on cell block which suits her just fine because it gives her the chance to be away from all the bull daggin' and other drama that happens in the day room. She comes out of her hidey hole long enough to pass through the day room on the way elsewhere or to make a phone call but she otherwise stays put in her cell. She is on cell block because of a particular misdemeanor conviction she has. Otherwise, she would probably be in a dorm. Your husband will also be, first, housed according to his classification but also perhaps where there happens to be room. I'm certain that others will be along shortly to do a better job than I have in my reply.
Renee (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:33 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,927 Times in 3,178 Posts

I don't have personal experience, but you can always check out what members have to say in the Daniel Prison Unit - Texas Forum. I wish you the best of luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

Thanked 4,108 Times in 971 Posts

It’s a medium security type unit as opposed to a maximum security unit and it’s probably a good fit for your loved one being that he has a 3 year sentence. Price Daniel was the 1st first prison built when TDCJ began spreading west in the latter 1980s. I’ve never been there, but I’ve done time in the past with men who have and from what I understand, it’s not a bad place to do time.

I doubt that there are bars to be seen in terms of the housing arrangement. He’ll probably start out in a 2 man cell that has a steel door. On medium security units they generally only have one dorm situated with cubicles and most often there is a waiting list of guys who want to go there so, he may do the bulk of his time in a 2 man cell. May be not, but I preferred doing my time in a 2 man cell. Dorms can get pretty noisy. Still, everyone has their preference as to how they like to do their time.

Where the fighting and all that bit is concerned, he may get into a squabble and then again he may not ever get into one. On units where you tend to find a lot of youngsters, there is more fighting to be found. On units where the age group is older there is less. He’ll be home one day in the not so distant future so, know that there is light at the end of tunnel. Don’t stress, he’ll be alright.

Sometimes we worry too much about the negatives and the unknown, but one thing is for sure, they can’t put barbeque sauce on him and eat him for supper.
OffenderNoMore (04-18-2012), RobinsMan (04-18-2012), Tabi42 (04-18-2012)