Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 04-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Donation Award 

Default Gov. Scott vetos early release for non-violent ...

Don't know what I was expecting, but figured someone out there might want to read about it.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...ott_signs_doze
Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,264 Times in 963 Posts

Are you freaking kidding me????? I cannot believe this idiot.

It was a lame bill that wouldn't even have benefited my husband and I'm still furious.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Donation Award 

Have to keep those prisons full, or it won't be as lucrative when everything is turned over to the private sector.
The Following User Says Thank You to positivet For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (05-24-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 AM

I hate thisguy! My fiance has learned his lesson by now!! 10 years was wayy too long!

The Following User Says Thank You to KaydensMommy756 For This Useful Post:
bostonlove (04-25-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 AM

It's too bad they don't introduce these bills when a Gov. is near the end of their term. Heck, even conservitive Charlie Crist pardoned Jim Morrison on his way out the door. Scott is clearly a 1-termer (some of the lowest approval ratings in FL's history). From what I've heard, from some on the inside is they're getting beans with bugs in them for all 3 meals already.

With 100,000 inmates in the system, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to write the sponsors of this bill and try and get it reintroduced. Make some noise. I believe the crux of the problem, is the general public doesn't realize that every minute their child sits in a crappy school, every minute they sit in overcongested traffic, their tax dollars are being spent to imprison thousands that are no more harmfull to society than they themselves are.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
It's too bad they don't introduce these bills when a Gov. is near the end of their term. Heck, even conservitive Charlie Crist pardoned Jim Morrison on his way out the door. Scott is clearly a 1-termer (some of the lowest approval ratings in FL's history). From what I've heard, from some on the inside is they're getting beans with bugs in them for all 3 meals already.

With 100,000 inmates in the system, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to write the sponsors of this bill and try and get it reintroduced. Make some noise. I believe the crux of the problem, is the general public doesn't realize that every minute their child sits in a crappy school, every minute they sit in overcongested traffic, their tax dollars are being spent to imprison thousands that are no more harmfull to society than they themselves are.
See, the problem is that the public in general is absolutely convinced that every single one of those 100,000 inmates is an ax murderer that they are saving lives by locking up. They have no real perspective on who exactly it is that the state is locking up. They don't view it as optional to lock these guys up and throw away the key...in fact, most of the state's voters want to lock them up for LONGER because they are so afraid of anyone who has committed any sort of crime.

And you hit it right on the head when you said this was about making money for private companies. I think Scott vetoed this because it didn't approve his pet project of a tether program for his buddies at Geo being forced on the guys who are early released.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
92lisamike (05-26-2012), Sheryl P. (05-03-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Waiting for Mike

Did you guys see that it was calculated that only 337 inmates currently in custody would even have been eligible for this program?? Seriously, Rick?

Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Donation Award 

Once again Fl. becomes more stupid based on it's Gov. Scott seems to only bend to public pressure. Why can no one seem to mobilize all of us that have loved ones in? I have tried and I stand alone. Guess I don't contribut enough to his or Pam's re-election to make me be heard.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Waiting for Mike

Inmate families tend to skew Democratic because of our demographics and situation, which is why they (the Republicans who run this state) don't care what we think. We don't for the most part vote for them anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (05-24-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 PM

I agree...sometimes I read the post following a news article (like the latest on the inmate who was beaten to death at Santa Rosa) and people have this notion that if you do ANYTHING that might land you on the other side of the fence then you are worthless and DESERVE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING you get. The self righteous, pompous attitudes of some very ignorant people make my blood boil! I bet you MANY of those same individuals at one time or another could have been caught up in the CJ system except by the GRACE OF GOD, they were not! Seriously, they act as if everyone in there is a freaking animal that if given a chance would kill everyone they come into contact with! There are people in prison that deserve to be there for the crimes that they committed against society, however, not every person in prison is a violent offender...but that is what the politicians want the public to believe! As someone said...they would rather throw the money into the back end of the system (DOC) then the front end (Education) and they wonder why people continue to get locked up! Really??? I have never seen a more repressive governmental entity then Florida..."The Sunshine State" They are blowing Sunshine up peoples a$$! I hope and pray voters are not naive enough to vote this jack wagon back into office! I am sorry for going on...this stuff just makes me sick! For the record this bill would not have helped my LO either because of the nonsense law he is locked up under! Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM

Default Gov. Scott vetoes early release for non-violent. . .

The Florida prison system is a political monopoly for the state. The governor is no more concerned about "victims" than the man in the moon. His only concerns are his political future and his pocketbook.
The Florida taxpayers have paid for my husband to sit in prison for four years now and there was not even a "victim". He was charged with driving with a suspended license. Unfortunately, ignorant people believe the propaganda put forth by the arrogant few who make the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTornado View Post
I agree...sometimes I read the post following a news article (like the latest on the inmate who was beaten to death at Santa Rosa) and people have this notion that if you do ANYTHING that might land you on the other side of the fence then you are worthless and DESERVE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING you get. The self righteous, pompous attitudes of some very ignorant people make my blood boil! I bet you MANY of those same individuals at one time or another could have been caught up in the CJ system except by the GRACE OF GOD, they were not! Seriously, they act as if everyone in there is a freaking animal that if given a chance would kill everyone they come into contact with! There are people in prison that deserve to be there for the crimes that they committed against society, however, not every person in prison is a violent offender...but that is what the politicians want the public to believe! As someone said...they would rather throw the money into the back end of the system (DOC) then the front end (Education) and they wonder why people continue to get locked up! Really??? I have never seen a more repressive governmental entity then Florida..."The Sunshine State" They are blowing Sunshine up peoples a$$! I hope and pray voters are not naive enough to vote this jack wagon back into office! I am sorry for going on...this stuff just makes me sick! For the record this bill would not have helped my LO either because of the nonsense law he is locked up under! Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 PM

I was told that everyone in prison are gay. It was not said that nice. I have heard that until I want to scream

I have tried to reason with people that gay was gay before they went to prison. They did not kill people, even though their crime is considered violent. I would like to pass out letters that explain what life really is behind bars. Sure there is gay, sure there is rape, sure there is death, sure there are killers, but that doesnt mean all are, or that all would hurt someone if they got out. Even the terrible charge of rape can be wrong.

I read about the daughter who lied about her dad raping her, I beleive he did 8 yrs or maybe more before she told the truth.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 PM

I am not a fan of Scott by any means.. not at all. In fact, I really do not like the man at all, but in all fairness, it isn't just Scott that wouldn't allow the inmates out early There has been a rumor for years and years about having time going to 65% instead of 85% and that has not happened.. so in all fairness, I do not hold only Scott responsible.. ...don't forget where Crist got his nickname from.. Chain-Gang Charlie... he was against them getting out early too....

Now that is not saying Scott should have vetoed it.. he should have signed it not vetoed it....
Old 04-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by amickeyfan View Post
I am not a fan of Scott by any means.. not at all. In fact, I really do not like the man at all, but in all fairness, it isn't just Scott that wouldn't allow the inmates out early There has been a rumor for years and years about having time going to 65% instead of 85% and that has not happened.. so in all fairness, I do not hold only Scott responsible.. ...don't forget where Crist got his nickname from.. Chain-Gang Charlie... he was against them getting out early too....

Now that is not saying Scott should have vetoed it.. he should have signed it not vetoed it....
At least Crist wanted to give felons their civil rights back.

The reason the 85% rule is still in effect is because it would be political suicide in this stupid state to be seen as letting the criminals out early to roam the streets and cause mayhem. You want to get elected in this state? Enact the death penalty for littering. Sure to go over well.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
At least Crist wanted to give felons their civil rights back.

The reason the 85% rule is still in effect is because it would be political suicide in this stupid state to be seen as letting the criminals out early to roam the streets and cause mayhem. You want to get elected in this state? Enact the death penalty for littering. Sure to go over well.
Very true... Ms Bondi comes in and bam... all your voting rights that would be reinstated once you are released are no longer going to.. and that was months prior to my son being released.. It is the political party's loss. Those in prison, their votes could make a difference in someones election.. and I for one sure hope all that got voted in recently.. get voted out by the loved ones who cannot vote!
and yes, to run in FL you must feel anyone and everyone who is behind bars, must remain there.. why, they cannot be human, can they if they are behind bars????? Mistakes happen, and you pay for what you have done.. but to continue to pay even once you are out.. is asinine & that is the road FL has as well.. so if you get out.. your life is still with a shadow cast over you... which helps to explain our revolving door with the system.. once an inmate.. doomed to be one ... again because you are labeled
Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Donation Award 

amickeyfan...is it any different in other states in terms of living as a felon after release? Doesn't that stigma follow you, at the very least in employment, wherever you live? If not, I'd love to know 'cause that's where I'd suggest my son move to after release. i just don't think it's only the case in Florida; I think it's nationwide. And is there anyone we can vote for that would make a difference in the lives of prisoners or felons? They'd get my vote, if someone would just tell me who it is.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivet View Post
amickeyfan...is it any different in other states in terms of living as a felon after release? Doesn't that stigma follow you, at the very least in employment, wherever you live? If not, I'd love to know 'cause that's where I'd suggest my son move to after release. i just don't think it's only the case in Florida; I think it's nationwide. And is there anyone we can vote for that would make a difference in the lives of prisoners or felons? They'd get my vote, if someone would just tell me who it is.
The more conservative and Republican the community, the stronger the stigma against felons will tend to be in general. So you want to find liberal democratic places to live. Same goes for choosing candidates if you want to improve things like fairness in sentencing, rehabilitation programs, and restoration of civil rights.

The Federal government just expanded the protection for felons under the EEOC employment hiring rules but unfortunately it's one of those protections that it is virtually impossible to put into use because the discrimination is rarely overt - it's usually hidden and subtle, like many forms of discrimination.

The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
djxkhan (11-20-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 AM

Looks like the only hope will be veto over ride, but that can not occur until the next session. Ridiculous that the bill ovewhelmingly passed the FL House and Senate, Repubs and Dems alike and yet got struck down by the stroke of Scott's pen.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Looks like the only hope will be veto over ride, but that can not occur until the next session. Ridiculous that the bill ovewhelmingly passed the FL House and Senate, Repubs and Dems alike and yet got struck down by the stroke of Scott's pen.
Just another symptom of the fact that Scott is confused and thinks we elected him "God" and not "Gov".

Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,912 Posts

I think it is time for the loved ones of inmates to start making noise.
With so many people now incarcerated,that is a lot of people who just sit back and take it.
Make calls,send faxes,sound off loud an clear.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl P. View Post
I think it is time for the loved ones of inmates to start making noise.
With so many people now incarcerated,that is a lot of people who just sit back and take it.
Make calls,send faxes,sound off loud an clear.
See the thing is...the people in power in this state don't care what the families of prison inmates think, even if we can vote. Because this state is run by Republicans who are elected by the state's overwhelming Republican majority, and inmate families tend to largely be Democratic due to our demographics and experience with the justice system.

We're a minority and we aren't the voters that elect them...so they don't have to give a crap what we think.

What we have to do is convince the voting Republican majority that it's in their best interest to agree with us...that is the only thing that gets the attention of the people in power in this state.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
See the thing is...the people in power in this state don't care what the families of prison inmates think, even if we can vote. Because this state is run by Republicans who are elected by the state's overwhelming Republican majority, and inmate families tend to largely be Democratic due to our demographics and experience with the justice system.

We're a minority and we aren't the voters that elect them...so they don't have to give a crap what we think.

What we have to do is convince the voting Republican majority that it's in their best interest to agree with us...that is the only thing that gets the attention of the people in power in this state.
I so agree with you and Sheryl P. It is obscene ridiculous what so many of the inmates are in for and the excessive time they are are sentenced to. One of the most disturbing things to me is that what might get someone probation or a couple yeas in a larger FL metro can turn into decades or life in some of the "good ole boy" smaller, rural FL counties.

I have 2 kids in FL public schools and every day they come home and hit the refrigerator the second they walk in the door. I've asked them one day "Don't they feed you at school?"...they reply, yeah but I'm hungry. I went to my Kindergartener's school and had lunch with him one day and no wonder.... you could have finished it off in 2 or 3 bites. As I've said before, I don't think people realize that for every minute our children sit in a crappy school and every minute we sit in overcongested traffic...there are humans that the State is spending (used to be $38,000) to keep locked up when they really shouldn't be there.

I think it would take something more than just phone calls and faxes....more organization is required, maybe an acronym and a catchy logo, and alter-ACLU if you will.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

And you expect what else from Republicans? Especially Teapublicans? What we have got to focus on is preventing the state from allowing our prisons to become the property of corporations. Incarceration should never be a profitable venture. But it's been moving that way for years. Look at the insane laws.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 PM
missin my babe so much

Default Early re-entry for NON-VIOLENT inmates

Thought some if not many of u may want to follow this.

This bill creates a new section of the Florida Statutes that requires the Department of Corrections (department) to develop and administer a nonviolent offender reentry program. The program is limited to inmates who are imprisoned for committing a nonviolent third degree felony and who have not previously been convicted of certain serious offenses. With approval of the sentencing court, nonviolent offenders with substance abuse issues who have served at least one-half of their sentence and who are selected by the department may participate in the program. If the offender successfully completes the program, the court must modify the offender’s sentence and place him or her on drug offender probation. The modified sentence must be for a period at least as long as the remainder of the prison sentence if the sentence has not been modified.
Among the conditions of drug offender probation that can be ordered by the court is placement of the offender in a community residential or non-residential substance abuse treatment facility. If available in the county where the offender will live upon release from incarceration, the court can order participation in a postadjudicatory drug court program as a condition of probation.
The nonviolent offender reentry program is intended to divert nonviolent offenders from long periods of incarceration when a reduced period followed by intensive substance abuse treatment may have the same deterrent effect, protect the public, rehabilitate the offender, and reduce recidivism. The department is required to submit an annual report that includes details regarding the operation of the program as well as its goals and recommended legislative action. In addition, it must develop a method for tracking recidivism of program participants and report the recidivism rate in the annual report.
If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect October 1, 2012.
Vote: Senate 40-0; House 112-4

http://www.flsenate.gov/Committees/b...s/2012/html/93

Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 PM

I think that's awesome! I hope it passes!!