Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prisons & Jails > Michigan Region III Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan Region III Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Cooper Street CF, G. Robert Cotton CF, Gus Harrison CF, Huron Valley Center, Huron Valley CF, Macomb CF, Mound CF, Parnall CF, Parr Highway CF, Robert Scott CF, Ryan CF, Southern Michigan CF, Thumb CF

Old 03-25-2012, 04:49 PM

Default Huron Valley entry

I have a loved one going into Huron Valley sometime within the next week or so. She is telling me that she is needing her dad, myself and a couple of others to give her about $500 in order to buy the things she needs when she gets there. She says she needs a foot locker, locks, shoes, tv and several other items. I am hoping someone in the know can tell me if this is so. And help me with the list of things she might need. This is all new to me. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2012, 05:09 PM

My wife is headed there at the end of the month is this true? I would greatly apprecieate any info.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo1265 View Post
I have a loved one going into Huron Valley sometime within the next week or so. She is telling me that she is needing her dad, myself and a couple of others to give her about $500 in order to buy the things she needs when she gets there. She says she needs a foot locker, locks, shoes, tv and several other items. I am hoping someone in the know can tell me if this is so. And help me with the list of things she might need. This is all new to me. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
my stepdaughter is there. but i dont know about the money situation. i know they give you the state issued shoes and there is a special book that you have to order clothes from. i believe you have to put money in their account for them to do it. i dont know about the tv. i do know that michigan has care packages every quarter. try mdoc website to get your answers or call the facility
scaredinmi (06-19-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 05:02 PM

Any body by chance have a a copy of the commissary list for Huron Valley?? We are trying to budget for things like paper and stamps, and calls. We already figure the goodie part is going to be scarce due to limited budget. But we want to be able to communicate as much as possible. It going to be a long time apart.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:26 PM

Thank you for the replies. Things are going as well as can be expected for my loved one. She has not said too much more about a foot locker. She was supposed to be heading out to boot camp but it looks like that may not be happening now. Since it appears that she may be staying there, we will be looking into a TV and MP3 player for her. I have sent her 2 care packages so far and some books from Amazon. The books arrived within a week even with using free shipping. I have sent her numerous cards and photos (including an 8X10) and ALL of that has gotten to her really quickly. I am actually impressed with how quick she gets stuff. Her latest request is for 100 photos. Hopefully that will not be an issue getting it through. The most I have sent at one time before is 12. Hang in there scaredinmi! Hopefully you will be able to get out to see your wife soon. I am not sure about the commisary list, but maybe she can mail you one? If you have any questions or anything, feel free to PM me.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:30 AM

I can use any information, we were hoping to get a list ahead of time so we can adjust some money and set some aside for the basics. She understands we arent going to be able to keep much money on her account, but have the basics and some stamps, envelopes, paper ect. I also have to set up the prepaid account so maybe once in a great while she can call home and I can hear her voice.

I am also trying to figure out how to get out there once in a while as I cant drive and we are getting tighter than we thought with the money situation alot earlier than planned. I am hoping maybe after a little while we can find somebody to share a ride. We are close to the prison but yet so far away.

Her sentencing coming soon and I wish there was away to put it off a little longer on one hand so she can work on the relationship with our daugther a little more. But I also realize the sooner she goes in the sooner she can get back to me even though our lives will be under a microscope for a couple of years after she gets out. I am planning to do everything I can to make sure she stays out when she gets out.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:26 AM

Lockers and locks are provided by MDOC. Stamps and envelopes are relatively cheap. You can order paper and such on the quarterly or she can order it from store. I'd put a prepaid account on your phone instead of having her pay for a calling card, Scared. Too many people steal the calling card #s and call their people on your dime. A TV is about 200 bucks and she has to order it from her commisary, not sure about the MP3 player cost. The most your loved one can get is 50 a month if they owe court costs/fines. Anything above the 50 is paid toward the costs/fines. If they don't owe costs and fines, I think you can only put in 300 a month. There's a limit, but we never go that high. 50 a month is all my LO gets. They do NOT have to order clothing. It's provided and they are required to wear the state blues. The only time they can wear "street clothes" is during visits. To me, and my LO, it was a waste of money. We, on the outside, can not order clothes, tvs, Mp3 players or anything othe than books for them (and the quarterly packages). They are only allowed ONE quarterly package total. Doesn't matter who it comes from, they just get one. MDOC also provides the basics (shampoo, toothbrush, paste, etc). It's horrible stuff but you can order better stuff from the quarterly and she can order it in store. Prices are about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo1265 View Post
Thank you for the replies. Things are going as well as can be expected for my loved one. She has not said too much more about a foot locker. She was supposed to be heading out to boot camp but it looks like that may not be happening now. Since it appears that she may be staying there, we will be looking into a TV and MP3 player for her. I have sent her 2 care packages so far and some books from Amazon. The books arrived within a week even with using free shipping. I have sent her numerous cards and photos (including an 8X10) and ALL of that has gotten to her really quickly. I am actually impressed with how quick she gets stuff. Her latest request is for 100 photos. Hopefully that will not be an issue getting it through. The most I have sent at one time before is 12. Hang in there scaredinmi! Hopefully you will be able to get out to see your wife soon. I am not sure about the commisary list, but maybe she can mail you one? If you have any questions or anything, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by pookiedoo2; 06-17-2012 at 06:31 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to pookiedoo2 For This Useful Post:
scaredinmi (06-19-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 03:35 AM

About how long does it take to get a letter to your LO, and for her to send one back. About how long is someone in reception before they are moved to their regular quarters. I am doing the prepaid account for our home the card would be used for a couple of family and friends and it would be a once in a while thing so we will have to look into it more.

I WILL BE STRONG FOR HER SO WE WILL BE TOGETHER AGAIN SOON!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 01:08 PM

Not sure about women...they might go straight to HV. Usually, they are in reception for 30-45 days and can only call when they get recreation (about 45 minutes a day). I would keep checking OTIS to see where she's at. Letters are like regular mail...a few days, at the most for both sending and receiving (it's been my experience, anyway). Depends on the facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredinmi View Post
About how long does it take to get a letter to your LO, and for her to send one back. About how long is someone in reception before they are moved to their regular quarters. I am doing the prepaid account for our home the card would be used for a couple of family and friends and it would be a once in a while thing so we will have to look into it more.
scaredinmi (06-19-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 04:56 PM

That is a relief on the letters i was told or read some where that, they had to send the letter in the adressed envelope to get metered and wait for them to come back before they could mail them. Maybe the only way we get to keep in touch due to transportation and money issues. I live near the prison well about 20 minutes or so in Westland and am disabled so it going to be hard without my van and driver.

I am going to be lost without her. I know it only 4-15 years apart but it seems like it forever. All because of the screwed up laws, she ts going away for something she did not do. She know she made a mistake by talking to the cop and letting her self believe what he told her was true and coaching her statement and takes responsibility for that.

But from what I have read and been told it doesn't seem she had a chance of beating it even without her statement being made. Her life is now ruined and the supposed "victim" is living high on the hog. He gets caught stealing $400 worth of merchandise and gets of scott free. And she gets hasseled at her presentece interview that none of the rest of the family has gone to see him. I am scared to be around him for fear I am the next victim he going to say did something to him, he has done this in the past and gotten away with it.

The INJUSTICE system in this state realy sucks!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 PM

That is true about the metering but it's a relatively quick process, so says my son. I get his letters about 2 days after he mails them. I also saw your other question about living near the victim. If she's down for years, I'd wait until close to her parole hearing date to start looking for another residence (can I ask why you need to move from your current home because of her?). Keep in mind that if he is someplace and your wife comes in (or if she's there first), she needs to leave ASAP. Don't finish the meal, don't anything...leave. If there is a no contact order, they mean it. You may want to contact her attorney closer to her ERD and see if she can find out his locale. Short of that, I don't know of any way you can find out where he lives unless someone tells you.

Quote:
That is a relief on the letters i was told or read some where that, they had to send the letter in the adressed envelope to get metered and wait for them to come back before they could mail them. Maybe the only way we get to keep in touch due to transportation and money issues. I live near the prison well about 20 minutes or so in Westland and am disabled so it going to be hard without my van and driver.

I am going to be lost without her. I know it only 4-15 years apart but it seems like it forever. All because of the screwed up laws, she ts going away for something she did not do. She know she made a mistake by talking to the cop and letting her self believe what he told her was true and coaching her statement and takes responsibility for that.

But from what I have read and been told it doesn't seem she had a chance of beating it even without her statement being made. Her life is now ruined and the supposed "victim" is living high on the hog. He gets caught stealing $400 worth of merchandise and gets of scott free. And she gets hasseled at her presentece interview that none of the rest of the family has gone to see him. I am scared to be around him for fear I am the next victim he going to say did something to him, he has done this in the past and gotten away with it.

The INJUSTICE system in this state realy sucks!
scaredinmi (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 12:23 AM

Contact with her attorney after this case will probably not be happening, he is a public defender, and we have a hard time contacting him now. She it going for a csc offense so that limits my options to begin with.

I have to start looking for a new place now, due to money issues. We were going to be downsizing next year as our youngest would have turned 18 & has plans to go on to college. Since this happened our daughter now hates me so she won't come home if I am here and she says since mom won't be here so neither will she. I get disability and without her my money is taking a drastic hit.

Our landlord is pretty cool and is working with us and has no problems with her staying here but it to close to a school. He has me on a waiting list for a different place but not sure when one will open.

It mostly the money issues I have my kids coming back to help take care of me. As for her having an issue with leaving somewhere if she sees him that not an issue, she wants absolutely nothing to do with him or even see him. I am afraid to be around him also due to our past history. Plus we don't go out much to begin with so it shouldn't be an issue at all. I just want to do all I can to prevent the chance for a slip. I figure it going to take time to find a place that will accept her living there, and get things moved. So figure safe than sorry and getting started now, plus trying to possibly buy some where and that takes time plus getting any repairs done. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Most letters and cards I send her, she will get in 2 days. The last thing I sent her was an 8X10 photo. I mailed it on a Wednesday evening around 7pm and she got it Friday. I was even surprised that she got it so quick. The last letter she mailed me took two days also. Hopefully the letters will always be this quick. Not too sure on the amount of time they spend in reception. It SEEMS to be about 4 to 6 weeks. I could be wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camo1265 For This Useful Post:
scaredinmi (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 PM

Ah, close to a school. Got it. That will cause a problem. Just put your name out there and be up front with landlords...explain the issue. I wouldn't worry about moving near your son. He may move around a bit prior to her release so figuring out where he lives might be a futile effort if you are looking for something now. I wouldn't worry about it, to tell you the truth. 4 years is a bit aways. Your son could be anywhere in 4 years, ya know?

Quote:
Contact with her attorney after this case will probably not be happening, he is a public defender, and we have a hard time contacting him now. She it going for a csc offense so that limits my options to begin with.

I have to start looking for a new place now, due to money issues. We were going to be downsizing next year as our youngest would have turned 18 & has plans to go on to college. Since this happened our daughter now hates me so she won't come home if I am here and she says since mom won't be here so neither will she. I get disability and without her my money is taking a drastic hit.

Our landlord is pretty cool and is working with us and has no problems with her staying here but it to close to a school. He has me on a waiting list for a different place but not sure when one will open.

It mostly the money issues I have my kids coming back to help take care of me. As for her having an issue with leaving somewhere if she sees him that not an issue, she wants absolutely nothing to do with him or even see him. I am afraid to be around him also due to our past history. Plus we don't go out much to begin with so it shouldn't be an issue at all. I just want to do all I can to prevent the chance for a slip. I figure it going to take time to find a place that will accept her living there, and get things moved. So figure safe than sorry and getting started now, plus trying to possibly buy some where and that takes time plus getting any repairs done. Thanks for the info.
scaredinmi (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 PM

I understand he could move before then, the staying away from him is not jsut for her benifit, I am trying to protect myself as well. He has made threats against me before and they were proved false. This is a new height of lying for him, I dont want to be involved if that is the way it going, I do not want to take a chance of being next, or the fact I might do or say something wrong. I am truly scared to be around him. He is a very smart and manipulative person and it not in either of our best interest for us to be around the other. It may sound cold but trying to do the best for all involved. I have our oldest 2 kids moving back in to try and help take care of me and they are both mad at him, and they are over 18 so my ability to change their opinion is limited, and I cant and will not force them to have contact with him or not , it up to them but I pretty much know their feelings on the matter.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiedoo2 View Post
Not sure about women...they might go straight to HV. Usually, they are in reception for 30-45 days and can only call when they get recreation (about 45 minutes a day). I would keep checking OTIS to see where she's at. Letters are like regular mail...a few days, at the most for both sending and receiving (it's been my experience, anyway). Depends on the facility.
As far as I can tell from the DOC website the only womens facility is Huron Valley and they do it all there.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:08 PM

Yes, HV is the only women's facility. I just wasn't sure if they went to RGC. I am sure their quarantine is much like the men's. No visits and limited calls for the 30-45 days they are there. They really need to concentrate on learning the rules and what's expected. My son said that is KEY. Learn the rules and the ins and outs of the facility. Also, tell her to get to know at least one Corrections Officer on each shift, if she can. Be sure to gain their respect. She'll need them if anything happens...and they'll be a great source of assistance to her. Don't tell ANYONE what you're in for...just say you'd rather not say...or make something up. CSC in women's prison can be brutal, I think more so than in men's. She should also stay away from any drama...stick to her room and read if she can. Maybe a magazine subscription would be a great b-day or Christmas gift along with some books and a Secure Pak. I know money is tight, but try to make it as normal for her as possible.

I hear you on wanting to stay away from the victim. I would want to do that too...

Quote:
As far as I can tell from the DOC website the only womens facility is Huron Valley and they do it all there.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 PM

Thats what she plans to do, keep to herself stay out of drama, and trouble. Thats how she did the short time she spent in county, and she doesnty want issues get in and get her time over do what she has to and get out as soon as possible. She does read and has already made us a book list and, we are hoping they may have a library as well. She not a young girl anymore so hopefully that will help her steer clear of some of the drama.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM

This such a helpful site, and this thread on Huron Valley especially appreciated! Thank you all in advance for answering a few of my (numerous!) questions already.

I am a "newbie" here....24-yr. old daughter was sentenced 15 months to 20 years, and all I know is that she is at Huron Valley. Admitted Sept. 12th, 2013. I have a zillion questions about what she is now going through, what she is experiencing, and most of all--what would be the area code if she happened to have a chance to call me? I have had some weird area code calls show up on my caller ID (none with any caller names) but I didn't answer those, as I figured they were telemarketers again.

Unfortunately, due to reasons beyond my imagination, she and I have been estranged ever since her Dad (my husband of 30 yrs-her bio. real Dad) died in 2009. She blamed me for his death, and these last years have been nothing but heartbreak and tears, as she completely cut off all ties with me. I found out about her being arrested on the evening news on TV!

Regardless, I went to all her hearings, status conferences, etc., right up to her sentencing. When the judge declared her sentence to prison, my heart broke in two. As they were leading her away then in handcuffs, I called out to her...just so I could see her face, her eyes, anything--but she completely ignored me.

I have realized that I will love her no matter what she does...have always loved here and always will---but that does not mean I condone her crime. No way. She needs to make restitution to many--and she needs to "hit rock bottom" before she will ever turn her life around.

Would anyone know if she is still "quarantined"? What would the area code be if she (miraculously) called me? What address do I use if I can send her a short note?

Again, thank you all. I can so relate to many of you out there with your son or daughter being in prison....even though she doesn't even acknowledge me as her own mother, I don't want her to needlessly suffer if I can be of any help by sending money (or is it just money orders?) to her account, books, toiletries, whatever.....so sorry for such a long posting.....thank you all!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cdogger76 For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (11-15-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 06:32 AM

My wife is there now I will do my best to answer what I can. She tells me a lot, and somethings they are not allowed to. I also sent you a private message

The Following User Says Thank You to scaredinmi For This Useful Post:
Cdogger76 (10-13-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 05:05 PM

Hi my girlfriend ,mother of our two kids just started her 3 years stay yesterday she used to come on this site and read the post before she went in She told me if it would help maybe contact someone for any questions I may have thanks I haven't been able to talk to her since she been at the huron valley women prison

Last edited by Nikkerz; 11-26-2013 at 05:33 PM..
Old 11-28-2013, 07:10 PM

My wife has been there almost a year and a half. I can answer questions from what I have seen and what she has told me.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 AM

Default Sentencing day is looming

My sentencing is about two weeks away and I'm getting anxious. Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the insight and those who have PM'd me!

I'm really concerned about having money to make phone calls as soon as they let me. Should I bring money with me on sentencing day? I'm assuming they will hold me at Oakland County jail until I am transferred to Huron Valley. Will the money get transferred with me in a timely manner? Should I just have my loved ones wait until they see on OTIS that I am at HV, and then have them put money in my account then?

I do realize that I may not be able to call right away, but when they give me the OK, I'd like to have the money to call. Is there anything else I should bring or not bring? Will I need my ID? Can I bring a contact list of phones/addresses?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:59 PM

I am not sure that any money will transfer with you, my wife didn't have any, I also held her id before court and she didn't need it. As for the contact list I mailed my wife one as soon as I had her MDOC number. The best I can say is when you go in have your loved ones set up an account with offender connect, that way they can accept your calls prepaid. It runs $3.20 for a 15 minute call. My wife couldn't make calls for like 2 weeks and even then she only had like 10 minutes till she got moved out of reception.

The county will probably take everything, here in Wayne county nothing transferred, she lost her cross necklace and her clothes. Huron Valley even had her send home the undergarments that the county let her keep wearing. I hope that helps some, any questions just ask my wife has been there almost 2 years now so I know some from what I have experienced, and what she has told me.

The Following User Says Thank You to scaredinmi For This Useful Post:
Pecan Pie (04-17-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 10:54 AM

Don't take any money, you won't be able to use it anywhere...it will be put in with your property and probably "lost". Don't take ANYTHING with you...no license, no paperwork, no nothing. Have your LOs check OTIS and once you hit HV, then have them set up a phone account at offenderconnect.com. Anything you walk in there with will be put in your property. Have someone send you a contact list once you hit HV. Sign a release for your clothing (don't take or wear ANY jewelry). The person you designate to pick up your clothing can do so at OCJ. Have that person call and find out how to go about doing that. They can't do it until you are transferred to HV and then they only have so long to go get it. IF no one will do that, wear clothing that you don't care about...it will be thrown away or donated once you leave OCJ. Unless you were born with it on, they won't let you have it and it will get tossed (this includes shoes and undergarments).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecan Pie View Post
My sentencing is about two weeks away and I'm getting anxious. Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the insight and those who have PM'd me!

I'm really concerned about having money to make phone calls as soon as they let me. Should I bring money with me on sentencing day? I'm assuming they will hold me at Oakland County jail until I am transferred to Huron Valley. Will the money get transferred with me in a timely manner? Should I just have my loved ones wait until they see on OTIS that I am at HV, and then have them put money in my account then?

I do realize that I may not be able to call right away, but when they give me the OK, I'd like to have the money to call. Is there anything else I should bring or not bring? Will I need my ID? Can I bring a contact list of phones/addresses?

Last edited by pookiedoo2; 04-19-2014 at 11:00 AM..
Pecan Pie (04-19-2014)