Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 PM

Default What happens after Grand Jury indictments?

What happens after grand jury indictments come out? my loved one is in the county jail and a special grand jury session indicted him on charges other than what the criminal complaint stated and what he was actually charged on. what happens next? please, any advice would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 PM
TRUE 2 MY HUSBAND 4 LIFE

the indictment is a formal accusation initiating a criminal case, any charge, accusation, serious criticism, or cause for blame. now he will get a lawyer and go from there to prove his innocents or what not
The Following User Says Thank You to msp6747 For This Useful Post:
jadegrl46 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadegrl46 View Post
What happens after grand jury indictments come out? my loved one is in the county jail and a special grand jury session indicted him on charges other than what the criminal complaint stated and what he was actually charged on. what happens next? please, any advice would be helpful.
Yes that's the way it works sometimes. The grand jury can add new charges and up the original charges in degree. Next he'll have a prelim hearing where they will see about a lawyer, set another date and decide on bail. The wheels grind slowly.
The Following User Says Thank You to alwaysfree For This Useful Post:
jadegrl46 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 AM

Here's the procedure
1- arraignment where charges are filed
2- preliminary hearing wher they determine if there's enough evidence to go forward
3- grand jury - only prosecution shows evidence against you to see if you should be indicted and got to trial
4- trial
so for you grand jury over and they indicted you trial is nexst for you and from what i am reading from you your going to trial mean the court will set a date for trial to begin for your husband sorry to hear this good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to DRUID1208 For This Useful Post:
jadegrl46 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM

Be strong! Most of all be patient! It is a slow process and before I realized that, I was so stressed out! You just kinda have to buckle up and let the system go thru it's paces. Good luck.
jadegrl46 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUID1208 View Post
Here's the procedure
1- arraignment where charges are filed
2- preliminary hearing wher they determine if there's enough evidence to go forward
3- grand jury - only prosecution shows evidence against you to see if you should be indicted and got to trial
4- trial
so for you grand jury over and they indicted you trial is nexst for you and from what i am reading from you your going to trial mean the court will set a date for trial to begin for your husband sorry to hear this good luck
Thank you for your help. Does it always go to trial?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderthanmost View Post
Be strong! Most of all be patient! It is a slow process and before I realized that, I was so stressed out! You just kinda have to buckle up and let the system go thru it's paces. Good luck.
Thank You. I am stressed out and trying to stay calm and patient. I'm really afraid and the waiting game drives me crazy, but thank you for commenting.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfree View Post
Yes that's the way it works sometimes. The grand jury can add new charges and up the original charges in degree. Next he'll have a prelim hearing where they will see about a lawyer, set another date and decide on bail. The wheels grind slowly.
Can you tell me if they set a bond for each indictment? they have indicted him on 8. He already has a bond set for the charge that was in the criminal complaint and is in the county jail. The jury did add new charges but the one the police charged him with was not in the indictments. Thank you for replying..
Old 02-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Thank you for your help. Does it always go to trial?
It doesn't have to always. He can take a plea deal. Or, best case scenario (and unlikely) charges can be dropped.

Good luck. This sucks. Remember that the prosecution is the only one w/ the grand jury's ear. There's a saying that "they could indict a ham sandwich". They could probably convict one and send it to prison anymore these days too.

The bond is one $ number, not for each indictment so to speak, but the judge who determines bond will take that into consideration. You should hear bond shortly (within a day or two). Sometimes it's "set at 10%" meaning bail is only 10% of whatever the total bond is.
*I could be wrong, but this is how Ohio is as I understand it.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Can you tell me if they set a bond for each indictment? they have indicted him on 8. He already has a bond set for the charge that was in the criminal complaint and is in the county jail. The jury did add new charges but the one the police charged him with was not in the indictments. Thank you for replying..
I would think if he has bail set you should be able to bail him out right now. He may be rearrested on the other charges when he gets out though. If he waits till his first hearing the bail may go way up because of the 8 new charges. Sorry doesn't sound like a good situation.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfree View Post
I would think if he has bail set you should be able to bail him out right now. He may be rearrested on the other charges when he gets out though. If he waits till his first hearing the bail may go way up because of the 8 new charges. Sorry doesn't sound like a good situation.
His bond is set at ten thousand on transferring and receiving charge , but they have a detainer on him because he was on juvenile probation so if i bond him out, his po is revoking his probation and he will be sent to a maximum secure juvenile facility.....now he has adult charge of transferring and receiving stolen property, but was indicted on eight different felonies......i'm so confused as to what's going to happen.....he has an attorney and has an arraignment coming up in march.........
Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 10,525 Times in 6,369 Posts

You will find out more at the arraignment. His attorney will definitely argue for reasonable bail on the new charges, but the judge will decide.

Unless posting bail will result in him being completely released from all custody, including juvenile, save your money.
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
jadegrl46 (02-28-2012)