Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Georgia Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Georgia prisons.

Old 05-02-2004, 02:15 PM

Arrow Burruss Inmate Boot Camp, Georgia

BURRUSS CORRECTIONAL TRAINING CENTER
BURRUSS INMATE BOOT CAMP

MONROE COUNTY, GA
ADDRESS:
POST OFFICE BOX 5849
FORSYTH, GA 31029

TEL.:
(478) 994-7511
FAX : (478) 994-7561

ADULT MALE FELONS
CAPACITY: 300 PRISON/148 BOOT CAMP
CONSTRUCTED: 1986
OPENED: 1986
SECURITY LEVEL: MEDIUM
RENOVATED: n/a

MISSION:
Provides work and rehabilitation programs for general population inmates and operates a 148-bed inmate boot camp program. Provides prisoner labor and support to the maintenance and operation of the Georgia Public Safety Training Center.

HOUSING:
Consists of four buildings which are subdivided into four housing units each. Each housing unit contains 25 single cells on two tiers. One building is double-bunked for inmates assigned in the boot camp program.

WORK DETAILS:
There are nineteen details which go to the Georgia Public Safety Training Center, then one each to the Georgia State Patrol, Forestry Commission, Department of Transportation, National Guard Armory, the Fire Station and two details to the City of Forsyth.

PROGRAMS:

Academic: GED, ABE, Literacy, Correspondence Courses

Substance Abuse: AA/NA, Substance Abuse 101, Substance Abuse and Family Violence

Counseling: Victim Impact, Family Violence, Vital Issues, Prerelease

Recreation: General Recreation, Wellness Walk, Vital Issues

Religious Activities: Various Worship Services, Bible Study, Confronting Self Concepts

Vocational/OJT: Auto Mechanics, Building Maintenance, Firefighter, Graphic Arts, Heat/Air, Warehousing, Custodial, Food Preparation, Teacher Aide, Laundry.

DIRECTIONS:
I-75 South for approximately 60 miles to Exit 188. Exit and turn right. Turn left into the entrance for the Georgia Public Safety Training Center. Turn right at the front gate, go one mile to the first four-way stop and turn left. Burruss CTC is on the right.
The Following User Says Thank You to strongernow For This Useful Post:
youngheart (07-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 AM

What are the phone and visit rules
Old 03-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Thanked 1,228 Times in 834 Posts

It depends if you're talking about the prison or the boot camp. The boot camp gets neither of these. They are not allowed to make phone calls and they are not allowed visitors. They can write though and they do get store.

If it's the prison, they have use of phones and they can place collect calls to anyone that's on their approved phone list. If you don't wanna do collect calls or if your phone provider doesn't bill collect calls, you have to set up an account with Global Tel*Link. It'll still come as a collect call, and you still have to "accept" charges, it just comes out of your account instead of showing up on your phone bill. That's a nightmare in itself.

Visitation at the prison is from 9-3 on Saturday for inmates with last names starting A-M and 9-3 on Sunday for inmates with last names starting N-Z and also for juveniles. You used to be able to go on both days, but they recently changed it. You can go and visit the entire time, but if it starts getting crowded, and it sometimes does, they start asking people to leave and they start with the ones who got there first. Once you come in, you can not leave and you will not be permitted to re-enter. You can only bring $20 worth of change (no paper money and no pennies) for the vending machines. You may go up to the vending machines, but the guys can't. You'll have to tell him what they have. It's usually a pretty good selection (ribs, wings, double cheeseburgers, etc...) You can not bring cell phones or anything else with you. You will need an ID and your car keys. Once you pull onto the campus, you will stop at a guard gate, they will take your ID, so have it ready, and they will ask who you are seeing. As you leave, they will take your tag number. They will then give you a pass to put in your car and tell you to proceed. You go past the gate and make a right. Continue driving until you come to the stop sign, you will make a left. There is a driveway and a sign saying "Al Burruss Correction Training Center" pointing to the right, take the right and park. Once you park, leave EVERYTHING in the car except your ID, your car keys and your clear plastic bag of change. There is a clipboard and a pen, it asks information like address and phone number for all visitors. When it's your turn, they will call you into the guard booth, you will give them your paper, your car keys and your ID. You will sign in with every visitors name (again), inmate info, employment info and your TAG NUMBER (so don't forget). You will place the change into a bucket and then walk through a metal detector. Sometimes they have you remove your shoes, but not always. They will hand you back the piece of paper you filled out and a small gold token. They keep your ID and your keys for security reasons. You will then go up a few flights of stairs and doors will be unlocked as you get to checkpoints. You go into the prison and there are two sets of locking doors that a guard will let you through. Once you're in the visitation room, take your paper up to the officer at the desk and then you'll be directed where to sit. You'll wait until your inmate comes down. You are allowed to hug and kiss at the beginning and end of visitation ONLY. They will come up to you and tell you to stop touching if they see you doing it! They really don't care how far you go at the beginning and end, but I have heard them tell guys, "Hey, man come on." You leave, go back the way you came, give them the gold token and they give you your car keys and ID. You sign out and you're free to go. You go out the same way you came and drop your inmate visitor card in the box at the guard gate.

Whew, that was a mouthful!! I think I covered it...

And we're more in love and happier than ever!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mommy4Two For This Useful Post:
vtkaty13 (06-02-2011)
Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 AM

i just found out that my hubby was transferred to the prison at burress. we have been told he was a perm. at ga diag ( jackson ) . i hope burress is better that jackson. he said it is bad. i dont understand why they moved him
Old 05-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Burrus is good... My hubby was there for a little over 2 years and he liked it... He had a good detail and the food used to be good.... I guess they changed to state food like everyone else a while back and he said that sucks... My hubby calls Burruss Camp Cupcake... There were never fights or anything violent like you hear aobut at the other prisons... I'm sure there were a few, but not many... Your hubby should be fine there, especially with it being such a short time he has to do...

I'm not sure why they moved him either, but they are constantly moving people and he may even be moved again... More than likely not, but it's possible...

Hope this helps!

vtkaty13 (06-02-2011)
Old 09-14-2009, 08:01 PM

Thumbs up i need help!

i am just trying to figure out do u know how long it takes to get a tpm !any help is better than none
Old 09-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Generally you can expect them to serve 1/3 of their sentence and at that time the PB will review the file and possibly set a TPM... *exceptions are the non-parole eligible crimes which are not eligible for release on parole*

Last edited by Mommy4Two; 09-14-2009 at 08:20 PM..
good_woman6 (09-18-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Red face care packages

does anyone know the website to send packages?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

You can go to the GA Dept. of Corrections website (www.dcor.state.ga.us) and go down to the Holiday Package 2009 box and click in it... These are the rules for the packages and then you can click on the link to go to Access Securepak which is www.georgiapackages.com and there's a drop down menu with all the prisons that are participating....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mommy4Two For This Useful Post:
thubab2 (06-13-2011), vtkaty13 (06-02-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 09:30 AM

Default Just just transferred.

Hi My Son has just been moved to Burruss Correctional Facility... can anyone tell me anything on this Facilty, I haven't recieved anything yet.. and I really am just curious about the condition..sending monies and making arrangement for him to call me.
The Following User Says Thank You to SheiliaS For This Useful Post:
Missymama (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheiliaS View Post
Hi My Son has just been moved to Burruss Correctional Facility... can anyone tell me anything on this Facilty, I haven't recieved anything yet.. and I really am just curious about the condition..sending monies and making arrangement for him to call me.
Hi Shelia, Here is a site I used that rates jails & prisons. It is called jailexchange (jailex ) . here is the link for your sons facility
jailexchange.com/StatePrisons/Georgia/Burruss

the web site allows anyone to look up any facility and tells what they are rated on. Here is the beginning link if anyone else wants to use it.:
jailexchange.com

Take care. carole

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a worried mom For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (02-10-2011), Missymama (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Donation Award 

Hey SheilaS,

I'm glad you located your son. There's a thread on Burruss in the GA forum. I'm sure members there can give you current info.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...hlight=Burruss
The Following User Says Thank You to kae For This Useful Post:
Missymama (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Believer

Thanked 1,193 Times in 280 Posts

my son has been at burress for 3 weeks now - i have visited him 3 times - he seems to be doing well - visitation is on sat. for first half of the alphabet and sun. for second half 9 - 3 - i hope it goes well for your son
Old 03-17-2011, 06:19 PM

My boyfriend was transferred to Burrus just a couple of days ago..from a halfway house... I would like to ask, if anyone know how long does it take for them to start getting visits .. i was on his visitation approved list before... i am wondering if it will transfer and how long it will take... if anyone knows please tell me...
Old 03-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Donation Award 

welcome back mexiprincess,

since every camp is different, call burruss directly. his counselor should be able to let you know if you are on his approved visitation list and the day/time your boyfriend is allowed visitation. let us know how you make out since i'm sure there may be others in this forum who would like to know how this camp handles transfers as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to kae For This Useful Post:
vtkaty13 (06-02-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy4Two View Post
You can go to the GA Dept. of Corrections website (dcor.state.ga.us) and go down to the Holiday Package 2009 box and click in it... These are the rules for the packages and then you can click on the link to go to Access Securepak which is georgiapackages.com and there's a drop down menu with all the prisons that are participating....
oh thanks, i thing i'll enjoy if it happen in 2011!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:16 PM

Default question

Can anyone answer questions I have about Burruss Inmate Bootcamp? My son is there, he was taken with only the clothes on his back, how does he get additional clothing? I know he can't get visits but can money be sent to him? I'm worried about him, this is first time in here.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:18 PM

Default question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheiliaS View Post
@Sheila, my son is at this facility too, I think, is your son at Burruss Bootcamp? I don't know anything about it either.