Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona DOC - What You Need to Know > Arizona Prison Phones & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Arizona Prison Phones & Mail Use this forum to discuss Arizona prison Phones & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the Arizona forum.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:38 PM

Default Cheaper calls using google voice?

Does anyone know anything about using google voice to obtain a local number to receive cheaper calls from an inmate? Or does anyone recommend a site or company to use to do this?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2012, 04:39 AM

Depends what state he's in. Jas is in az so google voice doesn't work there but I have heard it does for other states. You could try skype if thats allowed where he is.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM

He is in AZ as well...why doesn't it work there?

<3 Tj
Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 PM

My MWIs calls are $9.20 per call...he calls me at least once a day which is great don't get me wrong but my goodness its taking a toll on my bank account! So I heard someone used google voice which does the same thing all the other paid places do -coldcribs, cheapcallshome and so on-only the google voice # is free. I have the number set up with Securus now im just waiting on the call from visitation to see if its approved...anyone know anything about google voice, if it works or doesn't...anything!

<3 Tj
Old 03-13-2012, 12:20 AM
I miss him and I love him

Unfortunately, google voice will not work in AZ because it is considered 'call forwarding'. The best thing to do is to buy one of those pay as you go/pre-paid phones such as Virgin or AT&T's Go Phone or whatever is cheapest. When you set up the phone, enter the zip code of the state prison he is in, and your phone will assign you a local number for that area. Use that phone number to register with his visitation and with Securus, and your calls will be much more affordable!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
one day at a time

I'm in sc and my guy is in Iowa and when we first started TALKIng it was 9 dollars a call also. I was using for awhile a site through google called prison2prison and it lowered it to 5 dollars a call and than I got a trac phone with a local number where he is located and it's down to 2 dollars a call. Best thing I've done!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 AM

I use CBS or securus as its called now, and my calls are pre-paid and only cost $1.84. I usually put a $100.00 at a time in the account. I have a 480 number and my brother calls from Buckeye. As the other member stated, the best was is to always use a local number.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel C View Post
I'm in sc and my guy is in Iowa and when we first started TALKIng it was 9 dollars a call also. I was using for awhile a site through google called prison2prison and it lowered it to 5 dollars a call and than I got a trac phone with a local number where he is located and it's down to 2 dollars a call. Best thing I've done!
The only system that works in AZ (DOC) is Securus. All the others...are call forwarding and they will be blocked in AZ (DOC).

Old 03-26-2012, 12:55 PM

SHould you use the area code of the city he's in or the area code of the number that comes up when he calls, because he's in Graterford which is a 610 area code but when he calls its a texas area code. Which do I use?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 PM

It's not always about just the area code. You need the number to have the same area code and prefix as the number he calls from but sometimes the number they call from is an 800 number so you need it to be the same as the prisons area code and prefix.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana1975 View Post
It's not always about just the area code. You need the number to have the same area code and prefix as the number he calls from but sometimes the number they call from is an 800 number so you need it to be the same as the prisons area code and prefix.
I am in Phx. and LO in Yuma. Do you know what brand prepaid will let me choose area code and prefix? Then he gets phone card and is charged local call, right? Thank you so much! I have out of state cellphone and securus is TOO high!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiclet View Post
I am in Phx. and LO in Yuma. Do you know what brand prepaid will let me choose area code and prefix? Then he gets phone card and is charged local call, right? Thank you so much! I have out of state cellphone and securus is TOO high!
u should get tmobile. im using dat, i only pay 1.60 per call n my man is in yuma too. ask for 928 area code wid prefix of somerton
Old 05-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Anything Is Possible &lt;3

So if u have the google voice we add money to our accounts ??
Old 10-09-2012, 02:42 AM

Does anyone know anything about using google voice to obtain a local number to receive cheaper calls from an inmate? Or does anyone recommend a site or company to use to do this?

Yes, you can get a free phone number thru google voice and transfer any calls to any phone (mobile or land line). Don't know if it will work.

You can also get a virtual phone number from any city (around the world) that you choose thru "Vonage" (1-866-243-4357) for only $4.99 a month (plus the $9.99 for the phone service).

They also have other features like transfering calls from your landline directly to your cell phone, or exension numbers (to your land line) that go directly to you, or whatever number you choose.

Hope that helps....
Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Super Mod

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,810 Times in 3,096 Posts

Any time I see something like this, I always try to add this warning just in the hopes that I'm erring on the side of caution. Please be aware that it is against Federal BOP and all state DOC rules for an inmate to use “third party” services that try to reduce prison call costs. Some services like GoogleVoice (and maybe PCS) forward calls to another line, and call forwarding is not allowed. If you have one of these other services that forwards calls and your loved one is calling you, you are breaking those BOP or DOC rules. When the BOP or DOC finds out (and they will eventually), you will lose visitation and phone privileges. Google Voice definitely forwards calls to a different line; GV even talks about it on their own help desk site. Facilities have the technology to detect forwarded calls. When the facility detects a forwarded call (and it could be tomorrow or years from now), there are consequences. One of those consequences is disallowing the inmate to call the number that was forwarded and the person who owns the forwrded and/or forwarded-to phone could be taken off the inmate’s visitors list. I know the calls are expensive, but we have to follow their rules. I'm sorry.

Please be sure to check with the facility first! It's better to be safe than sorry! Good luck to everyone!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I miss him and I love him

Google Voice or any call forwarding service is NEVER allowed for calls in the AZ DOC. The best way to get a local number is to buy a pre-paid phone (ATT Go Phone, Virgin, etc.) and set up an account that way. Use the zip code for the physical location of the facility when you set up your account.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:18 PM

is it only considered call forwarding if you forward the calls to your cell phone?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:34 AM

This was a ig questiong for me a few months back. I chose to avoid any of the call forwarding. Some ppl say they use them with AZ DOC and have no problems, but I'd rather not try bc it is against their policy. I would hate to lose privedges after getting them. I am in PA and my Love in is AZ. I tried VIrgin Mobile but it wasn't working well for me. Bad reception in my apartment. But the phone was cheap and it would have been nice. I ordered a phone online and then called to get a local number. Ironically, using the prison zip code gave me a number that wasn't very local. I tried again and got a better one. I later switched that number from Virgin Mobile to T-Mobile who I have my main cell with. I was able to add it on as a family line and keep the AZ number with no problem. Plus, the price is reasonable. The calls cost $1.60 which works well for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJzGirl For This Useful Post:
creepycat (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Super Mod

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,810 Times in 3,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepycat View Post
is it only considered call forwarding if you forward the calls to your cell phone?
My answer is no. The technology that GV uses is call forwarding. The call forwarding starts from the company even if you're not physically telling your phone to forward the calls, the company is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:
creepycat (10-22-2012)
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Default cheaper calls

my son is in chillicothe prison in ohio we live in wv,i usually pay for his calls thru offerderconnect but are very expensive,if i would get a pay as you go phone with a 740 area code will it be cheaper.right now hes calling from a 740 to a 304 area code,and its costing a fortune any way i can get it cheaper would be great,thanks