Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > Other New York Prisons & Jails
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Other New York Prisons & Jails This forums is for conversations, discussions and information for all New York Prisons and Jails that do not have a dedicated forum.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Team Cell

Angry How to file a complaint against a deputy or a facility?

Hello everyone! I really need your help with this one as I'm am so mad right now that I have steam coming out of my ears. My husband is being held in Onondaga County Correctional Facility while awaiting trial. I went to see him this evening and one of the deps was a true asshole. They are always yelling @ people telling them to shut up or shut their kids up or they'll cancel everyones visits. Now after leaving the visiting room and on our way to collect our things out of the locker one of the young girls from the visit was extremely loud so the dep started screaming @ all of us and than he refused to give us back our IDs. He made us sit in the lobby for about 20 min to half an hour until we were called up to get our IDs. Now I understand that they mistreat people all the time but that just wasn't right,how can he refuse to give us our property back? If it was the one person that was being loud than ok but there was about 20 of us including babies and elderly,some people were even late for work due to that. How do I go about filing a complaint against him? Or is there anything I can even do? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a blessed day.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Survivor and Thriver!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,150 Times in 2,969 Posts

It is a county facility--so the sheriff is the likely place to start. I will say you should think about this---it could have an effect on your loved one (right or wrong--that is reality). I normally advise not to file complaints unless your loved one fully supports you doing it.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 02-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Does NOT Sugarcoat

Thanked 3,621 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedaBoo View Post
Hello everyone! I really need your help with this one as I'm am so mad right now that I have steam coming out of my ears. My husband is being held in Onondaga County Correctional Facility while awaiting trial. I went to see him this evening and one of the deps was a true asshole. They are always yelling @ people telling them to shut up or shut their kids up or they'll cancel everyones visits. Now after leaving the visiting room and on our way to collect our things out of the locker one of the young girls from the visit was extremely loud so the dep started screaming @ all of us and than he refused to give us back our IDs. He made us sit in the lobby for about 20 min to half an hour until we were called up to get our IDs. Now I understand that they mistreat people all the time but that just wasn't right,how can he refuse to give us our property back? If it was the one person that was being loud than ok but there was about 20 of us including babies and elderly,some people were even late for work due to that. How do I go about filing a complaint against him? Or is there anything I can even do? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a blessed day.
Sorry you were treated unfairly, but the prisons and people working in them can and will do whatever they want to do.

My first visit to my fiance, I had a CO working the check-in desk, she was a complete ass to me and even bodily pushed me through the gate, threw my ID at me across the counter, pressed the stamp so hard on my hand that she made it go off the visiting paper I was writing on.....so you are not alone in being treated poorly.

My advice would be to suck it up and kill them with kindness next time. I was NOT being a bitch and did not have an attitude, it was simply that CO's frame of mind that day. She has been cool with me ever since. Sometimes they will see how much power they really have at first, but once they realize you are not bringing in contraband or causing trouble, then they seem to lighten up.

Like I said, I would not make an issue out of it, because it could make things difficult for your man.

Be the more mature one and blow it off. I know it pisses you off, because I was livid and wanted to report her...but I kept my composure and let it go.

Peace~
Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Team Cell

Thank you ladies. I definitely don't want to do anything that's going to make things worse for my man. He's aware of what happened and supports whatever I decide to do. I'm just sick and tired of the deps treating people any type of way and being on their power trip like they are better than the rest of us. I've been going there for 4 month and not one time did I cause any problems,I stay to myself and read a book until its time to go in. They are always judging the visitors by the crime their loved one committed but God don't like ugly
Old 02-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Stand Tall Fade All

Im so sorry that happened to you.. I can not count the times I wanted to scream to the CO's i didnt do anything He did but I knew it would only make things worse. Sounds like you got someone with a serious superiority complex going on...Can you imagine having that come home to you every night...YIKES...hang in there and I do agree with the previous posters ...complaints fall on deaf ears most of the time and your loved one might pay the price.... Its really a no win situation.