Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Georgia.

Old 05-01-2004, 07:53 PM

Arrow Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison

GEORGIA DIAGNOSTIC AND CLASSIFICATION PRISON
BUTTS COUNTY, GA

ADDRESS:
POST OFFICE BOX 3877
JACKSON, GA 30233

TEL.: (770) 504-2000
FAX : (770) 504-2006

ADULT MALE FELONS
CAPACITY: 1785
CONSTRUCTED: 1968
OPENED: 1968
SECURITY LEVEL: MAXIMUM/UNDER DEATH SENTENCE
RENOVATED: 1998

MISSION:
Provides primary diagnostic services for the Department of Corrections. Also houses inmates under death sentence (UDS inmates).

HOUSING:
Consists of eight cell blocks containing both double-bunked and single-bunked cells. There are also eight dormitories and a medical unit.

WORK DETAILS:
Department of Transportation, National Guard Armory, Butts County and Butts County Sheriff's Office receive work details.

PROGRAMS:
Academic: GED, Literacy, Remedial, Regional Test Site, Teacher Aide Training
Substance Abuse: Substance Abuse Education
Counseling: Prerelease, Family Violence, Victim Impact, Corrective Thinking
Recreation: General Recreation
Religious Activities: Various Worship Services, Study Groups and Pastoral Counseling

DIRECTIONS:
From Atlanta: Take I-75 South toward Macon to Exit 201 (Jackson/Barnesville). Exit and turn left, over the bridge and go approximately 1/4 mile. Turn left at the sign marking the entrance to GDCP and proceed down Prison Boulevard. Take a left at the fork and drive toward the tower ahead. Park to the left of the entrance.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to strongernow For This Useful Post:
*Chuck's Girl* (03-08-2011), Ashden113 (10-07-2010), atl3244 (11-16-2010), clingingtohope (12-07-2013), Daqueen52 (12-19-2013), GregH (09-16-2010), meggolynn (03-02-2009), mxdchik (04-01-2009), rosepetals (03-23-2015), shannonchappell (02-23-2013), youngheart (06-24-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2006, 09:58 PM

Could you please send me an email advising me what prisons would be in the Carrollton, Georgia area. My fiancee is now in Jackson Diagnostics and will be there a few more weeks before they transfer him. I wa told he could ask for this area but where are the prisons in this area.Thanking you in advance..
Email ---Rubyf777@wmconnect.com
Old 12-06-2008, 01:41 PM

Hi there,

If you go to http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/Faci...byFacility.jsp you can view the different facilities and you can view them by county. But remember that if you ask for a specific place you wont always get it. Its all up to the good ole GDC. Mine has requested a place up north over a year ago and he is still way down south GA. So good luck...

Hand in Hand Forever

The Following User Says Thank You to alone66 For This Useful Post:
*Chuck's Girl* (03-08-2011)
Old 12-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Forever Yours

I have a question..I am new to this so bear with me. Ok, I know my B/F is at the GDCP. First off what is this place and why was he sent here? Is this where he will be for the 2 years he has to serve? Can I send him money? Can I send him socks and undies and stuff like that? Any info is appreciated.

Sad witout him!! Lost and alone!
Old 12-14-2008, 05:29 AM

I sent you a private message so check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingyou05 View Post
I have a question..I am new to this so bear with me. Ok, I know my B/F is at the GDCP. First off what is this place and why was he sent here? Is this where he will be for the 2 years he has to serve? Can I send him money? Can I send him socks and undies and stuff like that? Any info is appreciated.

Sad witout him!! Lost and alone!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 AM

Default Sad

Yesterday, they moved my brother to the this prison. I pray he is Ok. He is a strong fellow. I miss him alot. I use to go visit him twice a wk at county level. I have heard that at this facility, he will not be allowed visits. Is this true. On Sunday before he was taken away, I left a money order for him will he have this when he get to that facility. Whoever, started this forum, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:14 AM

Default This too shall pass

This should be a temporary location for him. This is the processing center. He should be here at least 6-8 weeks. Of course that depends on how fast they move. Have faith and be strong. This too shall pass.

Amg!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:57 PM

Hi There!

I hope everyone is doing well and staying positive!

I am from Canada and my boyfriend is in Georgia USA! He was charged with theft by taking and violation of probation. He was sentenced to two years. He was at Gwinett County Detention Centre from July up until a few days ago. He has been transferred to Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison.
Being from Canada, I'm not entirely sure of how the prison system works in the USA. I'm basically learning as I go. I was told by someone at Gwinett County that if an inmate has a sentence of more then a year, they are eventually transferred to prison. Is this true?
Here's a list of my questions that I will hopefully be able to get answers to.

1) Why was my boyfriend transferred to Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison? And why was he transferred to a maximum security, when his only crime was theft by taking?

2) What does Diagnostic and Classification mean exactly? What is this place and what do they do?

3) His sister told me that he was in processing. What does this mean?

4) I understand that an individual can be granted parole 1/3 of their sentence. And my boyfriend has two years, making 1/3 of his sentence eight months. So his parole month should be March. But he told me that the parole board is four months behind, so March could turn into July. And I understand this. But my question is that, does his transfer effect him getting parole? Or can he still be granted parole?

5) At the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison, are the inmates divided according to type of crime? I guess I just want to know that he is safe and he wont be put into any situations that can jeopardize his chances of being granted parole.

The last time I heard from him was the middle of February when he was still at Gwinnett, so now I write him back. I've also asked him the same questions about his case.

I am hoping that someone can answer my questions and help me to understand what is going on.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:49 PM

Does anyone here have a permanent at GDCP?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Donation Award 

hello JLynnM83.

welcome to pto and the ga forum family. i sent you a private message.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:36 PM

Thanks for your message.
I appreciate it. I cannot stand not having all the answers, because it just makes everything more difficult.
Can my boyfriend receive mail? And what do I have to include on the front of the envelope?
Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:49 PM

Hi!
My husband was transferred to GDCP today, and I was wanting to get more information about the facility from those who have any! Please private message me with anything that might help me out, and know what I need to do to get him letters, money, etc!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:42 AM

I was just wondering if anyone knew the visitor's or phone policies for this GDCP?
Thank-you so much.
-Jennifer
Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 PM

my husband is in GDCP and got there 02/24/09. he has a 10 mnth sentence. it is just now showing where he is at on the website, but not a tenative parole date. it does show the longest they can keep him. how long before he gets a tenative parole date, and also how long before he cans have visits, or make phone calls
Old 03-10-2009, 01:09 PM
upnorthchik

hi i have a question my sons father has a max release date of 7/11/2010 i know he can possibly get out sooner due to parole(doesnt have a tpm yet) or whatever but he was just transferred last night to gdcp and i was wondering if i could send him letters during the 6-8 weeks he is there, because he know he cant have visits or calls and if i can send him letters do i have to include the gdc# on the envelope? and after he is done with the diagnostic process will he be automatically moved to wherever or will he stay there a while? Thanks!!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Donation Award 

hello dingy2366 and upnorthchik. welcome to the ga forum! there are quite a few of us here that have been where you are. feel free to ask questions.

dingy2366- unfortunately, inmates with sentences under 3 years max out and serve the ENTIRE bid. they are not paroled. he will be able to get visits and calls once he is transferred to a permanent camp. (10 months will go by quicker than you think. just keep your head up and stay positive.)

upnorthchik - you can write while he is in d&c. you also send pictures and cards. you can send him money through the new consolidated system. you should including his gdc # in all correspondence. check the ga doc website for more info.

the guys stay at jackson until a bed is available at a camp. so the time spent there is different for everybody. its been averaging 4 to 6 weeks. my husband was there for a little over a month, but he finished his testing after a week or so of being there.

my advice to you both is to be patient. georgia doc moves at its on pace and nothing is consistent.

do a search in this forum. your questions were probably asked and answered in the past.

Last edited by kae; 03-11-2009 at 09:30 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kae For This Useful Post:
upnorthchik (03-12-2009)
Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM
"strawberry"

Cool

you can send him letters it would be best to go head & write since u have his GDC #. dont wait on a letter from him. Put as much info as u can on the front of envelpoe. yea he will get his permanent assignment after hes @ diagnostics bout 6 weeks...hope this helped............................................ .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthchik View Post
hi i have a question my sons father has a max release date of 7/11/2010 i know he can possibly get out sooner due to parole(doesnt have a tpm yet) or whatever but he was just transferred last night to gdcp and i was wondering if i could send him letters during the 6-8 weeks he is there, because he know he cant have visits or calls and if i can send him letters do i have to include the gdc# on the envelope? and after he is done with the diagnostic process will he be automatically moved to wherever or will he stay there a while? Thanks!!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 PM

Question thank you

he just sent a letter, actually his second on march 17. said he had just come from parole hearing, and said that they were going to recommend he get parole. so he is thinking he could be out in the next few weeks. but he did say that he would be transferred in the next few weeks. so i dont know if he will get out after diagnostics, or have to go somewhere else for a couple of weeks. i know his boss is calling me every week trying to find out when hes gonna get out. said he would even go and get him when he gets released. he only had 2 employees, and now its only 1. small company. so he is even looking on the website now to see if hes got a TPM/
Quote:
Originally Posted by kae View Post
hello dingy2366 and upnorthchik. welcome to the ga forum! there are quite a few of us here that have been where you are. feel free to ask questions.

dingy2366- unfortunately, inmates with sentences under 3 years max out and serve the ENTIRE bid. they are not paroled. he will be able to get visits and calls once he is transferred to a permanent camp. (10 months will go by quicker than you think. just keep your head up and stay positive.)

upnorthchik - you can write while he is in d&c. you also send pictures and cards. you can send him money through the new consolidated system. you should including his gdc # in all correspondence. check the ga doc website for more info.

the guys stay at jackson until a bed is available at a camp. so the time spent there is different for everybody. its been averaging 4 to 6 weeks. my husband was there for a little over a month, but he finished his testing after a week or so of being there.

my advice to you both is to be patient. georgia doc moves at its on pace and nothing is consistent.

do a search in this forum. your questions were probably asked and answered in the past.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Jeremy's Soon-to-Be Wifey

Angry Help!!!

Ok I know the basic's, and probably a little more, but my fiancee has been in Jackson for 14 WEEKS!!! WHY he is done with processing, he says he thinks they've lost his paperwork! I have called Atlanta and they just keep on forwarding me to the voicemails of the trashcan I guess I havent received a call back and I have been calling for a month! He hasn't got his TPM yet he hasn't heard anything, I talked to someone in Atlanta in January and they told me his felony was a scheduled 1 and he only got 5 years and on the grid sheet it says that he will only have to do 6 months, he's going on his 8th month, I need help! Does anyone know who I should call or what we need to do??!!

PLEASE help, ANY info will be greatly appreciated!
Kimberly Ball

"Feed your faith & your doubts will starve to death!"
~Annonymous
The Following User Says Thank You to KimberlyBall For This Useful Post:
youngheart (06-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 AM

Lightbulb

I got to visit my son for the first time yesterday!

Here is the info. I have on "Jackson Diagnostics" the visiting is mon, tues, wen, and thurs. 9-11 and 2-4 and on fri. 9-11.

Call and make sure you and whomever else is on the visit list. My son filled his out the first day and was so (in shock) that he forgot to add his grandparents.

I was told Mornings are better because the afternoon visit can not start until the count is complete and that has run as late as 3:30. Visits end on time no matter what time they start. (We finally went in around 3:10)

Take only your i.d., keys and tag # (I wrote my tag # and things I wanted to remember to talk about on my hand) they will take your keys/id and give you a claim disk. You have to turn your pockets inside out so be aware )

The visit area has a large waiting room with vending machines (not sure what that area is for ) But the actual place we did the visit is like two long halls with a steel screen seperating our loved ones from us. There were only 5 people there yesterday afternoon but I would imagine if it were full that it would be very hard to hear.

Also... when I first heard he had shipped out I filled up 4 large 10x13 manilla clasp envelopes with print outs, photos(print them on regular paper and they can get all you send), and just anything I could think of to print out.

And I put some more money on his account. Php said that some people wait for weeks for their J-pay to transfer and that it really helped to have something to keep him busy until he got his bearings. He is blessed because he has a deep sense of the peace of God and is fully trusting in God to keep him through it all.

He said that he doesn't buy much at a time because there was a lot of stealing going on and people are always trying to borrow stuff. He has inrolled in all the bible correspondence courses he has found out about and said he mainly stays busy reading the material I send. He has finished everything and is just waiting to leave....

I am trying to list everything I know... all the officers whom I have spoken with have been really nice and helpful.

Oh... coming from Atlanta there are three Jackson exits ... its the third one and there are a few big truck stops (flying J, T/a, and others) I believe it is exit 201.... there are signs pointing the way on the exit ramp. And the prison is not even a 1/2 mile from the exit.

I think that is about all

Trust in the Lord thy God and lean not unto your own understanding.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to missingphp For This Useful Post:
Ashden113 (10-07-2010), Banksgirl (04-13-2012), Jacobo'sWife (01-28-2016), MARTHE (04-23-2009), Stacey77 (12-31-2012), vtkaty13 (05-10-2011)
Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you very much for this useful info. l just asked someone in a post about visit days there before l found yours!
My boyfriend Ken has been there for 9 months now and helps the chaplain. l am sure your son meets him every day from what you say.
l live in Thailand and plan to go to visit him next month. Hopefully he will become a permanent there before l arrive and will be able to have visitors.
Ken writes me a lot and also talks about the stealing in this "miniature hell". He should have an appeal soon and get out of there. l can't wait!
Thanks again and all the best to you and your son.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 AM

Default GDCP commissary

How do you put money on the commissary account for an inmate at GDCP?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Thanked 1,230 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthchik View Post
Yes, you can write him and he can write you... You should always include his GDC# on his mail, and once he lets you know his location within the prison (k-5/132B), you should include that too... It's a good habit to start because some prisons will send back your letter if it doesn't have that info... But you'll need to make sure he has money on his account so he can get envelopes and stamps... Once he finishes the diagnostic process he will more than likely remain there for a while, but not too long... It depends on how far behind the GADOC is...

Hope this helps!!

And we're more in love and happier than ever!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Thanked 1,230 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbout View Post
How do you put money on the commissary account for an inmate at GDCP?
The state of GA has a new consolidated banking process that they use for all inmates... You can visit the GADOC website here: http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/default.html

The opening page has the info, you just click on the part where it says "Send inmate commissary funds", but in short here are a few ways to do it...

Money Orders: GA Dept. of Corrections, P.O. Box 405699, Atlanta, GA 30384-5699 (you'll need to print out a voucher with his name and ID# on it to include with your money order) *do not send money directly to the prison!*

JPAY: online, by phone or in person (incurs a fee)

Western Union: online, by phone or in person (incurs a fee)

And we're more in love and happier than ever!
Old 05-11-2009, 03:58 AM

Hello all,

I am new to this entire experience, my fiance is currently at the GDCP facility. He was sentenced to life for murder. We are from Louisiana and its hard not being able to see or talk to him regularly. He has been there since 4-22-09 and I was hoping that someone could give me a bit of information on the kind of environment this place is. He came from Clayton County and is was a pretty laid back facility, and we're hoping this place is too. So any information about the background of this place is greatly appreciated.