Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Georgia Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Georgia prisons.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:48 PM

Arrow Phillips State Prison, Georgia

PHILLIPS STATE PRISON
(CLYDE N. PHILLIPS PRISON)
GWINNETT COUNTY, GEORGIA

ADDRESS:
2989 W. ROCK QUARRY ROAD
BUFORD, GA 30519

TEL.: (770) 932-4500
FAX : (770) 932-4544

ADULT MALE FELONS
CAPACITY: 1036
CONSTRUCTED: 1988
OPENED: 1990
SECURITY LEVEL: CLOSE
RENOVATED:

HISTORY:
To house prisoners who have had management problems at other prisons or centers, and those who could pose a risk if housed elsewhere. Provides all levels of Mental Health service to include Level IV Crisis Stabilization. A supportive living unit for Level III MH probationers is provided at the Phillips SP annex.

HOUSING:
Consists of ten living units each with two dormitories. The number of units with two-man cells is seven and a half while the remainder are a combination of two single-man cells. The combination two-single man cells houses MH/SM inmates. There is a total of 100 isolation/segregation cells. The PSP annex consists of 150 beds and 50 beds for Level III MH/MR probation detainees.

RESIDENT WORK ASSIGNMENTS:
All outside work details are provided by Phillips SP annex. A total of ten details are provided to surrounding cities and counties. Additional details work on the outside grounds of Phillips SP. Work details also provide support to the GCI print shop

PROGRAMS:

Academic: GED, ABE, Special Education, Literacy, GSAMS

Substance Abuse: Substance Abuse Education, AA/NA

Counseling: Domestic Violence, Corrective Thinking, Vital Issues, Violence and Substance Abuse, Victim Impact, Lifers, Toastmasters

Recreation: General Recreation

Religious Activities: Worship Services, Scriptural Studies, Confronting the Self, Pastoral Care/Counseling

Vocational/OJT : Auto Body, Auto Mechanics, Welding, Small Engine, Woodworking, Food Preparation, Printing

DIRECTIONS:
From Atlanta: I-85 North to Hamilton Mill Parkway (Exit 120). Exit and turn left. Turn at the first street to the right (Sardis Church Road). Go one mile, then turn left onto West Rock Quarry Road. Phillips SP is approximately 1/4 mile on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phillips_sp.jpg (5.4 KB, 473 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to strongernow For This Useful Post:
BrendaT (10-27-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2004, 06:56 PM

does anyone know what this prison is like or how the visits are?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:56 AM

We have 2 active members with loved ones at this prison... hopefully they will come along soon and be able to share some information from their experiences with you
Old 01-11-2006, 05:53 AM

Default New Here

I am new to this forum. A friend was looking on the web and sent this to me. I lost both my sons when I was 19 (54 now) and my youngest son found me about 2 months ago and he is at Phillips. I was wondering if anyone knows what the visitaion is like there. He has not had a visitor in 15 years (as long as he has been there) and I am going this month.
Are there any good hotels to stay at near there?
Teri in Texas
Old 02-09-2006, 05:30 PM

hi im responding to anybody tha has a love one in phillhps state prison it is a good facality i like .
Old 11-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Donation Award 

Default Phillips

there are several hotels two exits before Phillips State Prison (if you are coming from the airport) that range in costs and are nice. They are called the Suwanee exit and Mall of Georgia exit (Lawrenceville/Buford). Phillips is a good facility overall. Visitation...ask specific questions.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Missing my Hubby everyday

I heard from husband that he has finished testing at GDCP and they told him he would go to a minimum security prison. But they also said that because he takes mental health meds that he would most likely go to Phillips prison.
But the way this description reads, it doesn't sound like minimum security. Or is it? I read another thread that said that the place is a free for all. That doesn't sound very safe or promising. My husband is not a violent person. I dont want him hurt.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 AM

i was just wondering if anyone knew things like when can they make phone calls and what day is visitation on and how long is visitation. my husband got sent there yesterday oct 23 and i really dont know much about this facility and im a little scared for him,he got put in jail right before i had our daughter...she is almost 6 mths old now and he'll get to come home in jan...if anyone knows anthing about phillips please let me know~its driving me crazy... thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkangel127
does anyone know what this prison is like or how the visits are?
Yes...I can certainly tell you anything/everything about this faciltiy. I spent almost two and one-half years there. This prison has changed a lot in the last two years. Warden changes as well as personnel turn over. Mass changes. Right now it has settled down some and the new Warden seems to be treating inmates right. The inmates received a Christmas package this year from the Warden, which is a BIG step in the right direction. There has been some serious chaos regarding Ministries which come to the prison. KAIROS, which was a huge part of that facility while I was there. However, almost the day I was released (early 2006) the old Wardens stopped KAIROS from coming in. That spiritually hurt the inmates there a great deal.

A great number of the guards at Phillips are women. This is only my opinion but spoken from experience. Many of these women I believe are abused at home and utilize their positions to exert "control" over the men there. That is a very uncomfortable atmosphere. However, many of the guards are NOT that way and truly CARE about the inmates there. Of all the facilities I lived in, Phillips had the greatest number of caring staff. ALL facilities have this problem and some are worse than others.

The "store" at Phillips is one of the best. The education there is excellent to include a "trades" facility housing body shop, mechanical, woodshop, small engine repair and welding. The eductional staff in my opinion were very professional.

Visitation is about the same as in any Georgia Prison. Inmates and guests may sit next to one another however physical touching is "theoretically" allowed only when guest's arrive and leave. However, many visitation officers do not enforce this to and allow couples to enjoy each other. The inmates are not allowed to purchase anything from the vending machines, only the guests may do so. A guest may bring in some money (preferrably quarters and one's) to buy food for the inmate. This is a HUGE treat for the inmates. Overall, I believe the majority of the officers who work visitation are "reasonable." Visiting hours were on Saturday and Sundays and Holidays, I believe 9am to 5 or 6 pm each day.

The food is at this or ANY prison facility in Georgia is the same. Basically just enough calories to allow one to survive. Portion sizes were consistently reduced during my time inside and according to several friends still inside continues to shrink. Without some provisions of money from the outside family and friends it is very hard to exist.

Phone calls begin at 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm weekdays and 8 am to 11 pm weekends and holidays (if you can get a phone.)

Of all the facilities I lived in I felt Phillips was the best. However, total loss of freedom stinks regardless of where you are. Please understand prison life is truly living "hell" 24/7. There is nothing pleasant about being incarcerated. I honorable served my time and paid my debt to society. I have a new wife and a great job and have been blessed since my release. I will leave everyone with this. If you have a relative or friend who is incarcerated, please don't forget them. Regardless of their crime. These men and women are human beings too and need forgiveness, love and support in an impossible environment. Have you every really been thankful for a toothbrush or a toilet seat? I have............
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rikochee For This Useful Post:
2ndChance4Us (06-25-2009), eeniaLorr (04-19-2009), LORNA (11-27-2008)
Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 AM

Default Hotels

Can anyone update us on inexpensive hotels that are clean near Phillips?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Josh's Mom

Babydoll,

There are so many hotels/motels near this prison. I would think anything at the Suanee exit 111 or Mall of Ga exit 115 (Ga 20) would be nice and safe. Any hotels before these 2 exits would be a little "iffy". Gwinnett County is a pretty high crime area closer to the city of Atl. As for price, I have no idea. Most of them are name hotels so you will be familiar with appprox. what they might cost.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:09 AM

Transportation from Forest Park to Phillips needed. Please PM me if you know of anyone or organization that will offer transportation. I'm writing for another inmate that needs to see his family.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:42 AM

Default Good as any of them

Phillips is as good as any of them,,,they stay on top of thing's ...but i guess that's a good thing!!!! I have a son there and also had a friend there...thing's can happen at any of them but so far so good
Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 PM

does anyone know what the mail system is like there? how long does it take them to get to it?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Ashmari3

I know mail is pretty slow there.
sarahas (05-06-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Well ir is taking nearly a week for my letters to get to D....he is on the transitional side but I figure its all the same mail room. There has bn times its taken 10 days for me to get a letter. Ugh its ridiculous

<3 Heart belongs to Droopy <3

<3 MY HEART BELONGS TO DROOPY <3
The Following User Says Thank You to Southernsun For This Useful Post:
sarahas (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 11:33 AM

that is ridiculous and i live in Canada so it takes even longer for mail to be sent there