Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:51 PM

Arrow Sumter County Correctional Institution, Georgia

SUMTER COUNTY CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION
SUMTER COUNTY, GEORGIA

ADDRESS:
346 MCMATH MILL RD
POST OFFICE BOX 484
AMERICUS, GA 31709

TEL.:
(229) 924-6066
FAX : (229) 924-0040

ADULT MALE FELONS
CAPACITY: 350
CONSTRUCTED: 1989
OPENED: 1990
SECURITY LEVEL: MEDIUM
RENOVATED: N/A

MISSION:
Provides housing for state and county inmates and a general labor force supporting Sumter County Government.

HOUSING:
Seven dormitories with 40 beds each. One 18 bed dormitory. One 34 bed dormitory.

WORK DETAILS:

Provide labor force for road details and maintenance details for Sumter County and municipalities. Performs grounds and maintenance details for Macon County CI.

PROGRAMS:

Academic: GED, ABE, Literacy, ESL, Entrance Preparation to Technical and Vocational School

Substance Abuse: Substance Abuse Education, AA

Counseling: Prerelease

Recreation: General Recreation

Religious Activities: Various Worship Services

Vocational/OJT: Heavy Equipment, Carpentry, Laundry, Custodial Maintenance

DIRECTIONS:

From Atlanta: I-75 South past Macon. Take the Highway 27 Exit and turn right onto Highway 27 West through Americus. One mile West of town, turn right onto McMath Mill Road. Sumter CCI is two miles on the right.
The Following User Says Thank You to strongernow For This Useful Post:
*Chuck's Girl* (03-01-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2005, 12:25 PM
christ04

does anyone have any information on this prison or have a loved one there? any info will be appreciated. thanks

AT THE SOUND OF THE TRUMPET, IM OUT OF HERE I THEL. 4:7
Old 09-09-2005, 03:00 PM

i dont really know a whole lot about this place i just now how to get to it and stuff .. i could probably find out information though cause its in my town .. i dotn know anyone whos been there though because they never send anyone from around here there .. oh how i wish they would though
Old 04-23-2007, 10:26 PM

Question

My brother is now there but we have never been to see him. How are the facilities?
Old 04-24-2007, 02:10 PM
christ04

My husband has been away from Sumter a little over a year now. The facilities are as well as to be expected. You can go outside and sit and the picnic tables at visitation. There are snack and vending machines with food (sometimes). The guards there were very nice. We never had a problem.

AT THE SOUND OF THE TRUMPET, IM OUT OF HERE I THEL. 4:7
Old 03-10-2008, 10:22 PM

Unhappy Can you send stamps and paper to someone there at SCI

My son has been sent to Sumter Correctional Institution and I would like to know if I can send him stamps and paper to write me. Also how do you receive collect calls from inside the facility. He has tried to call me collect several times but the operator says my phone is not set up to accept collect calls. They give me a number to call but when I call it I can't get to an operator to set up a way to set up a collect call. I have heard stories about being charged a huge fee to accept collect calls and would like someone to let me know about this also. If anyone can help with any of my questions I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Donation Award 

hello mckrjk and welcome to pto. many prisons in ga do not allow you to send inmates stamps and/or envelopes. send your son a postal money order and he will be able to buy stationery and stamps to write you.

your son has to speak with his counselor to add you to his phone and visitation list. once he sends the the significant other form to you and you return it, you should be able to visit.

continue to call gtl to set up your phone account. they will be able to give you the rates.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Donation Award 

Hey mckrjk. My son is at Sumter Co. CI. As far as a prison goes this is a good place. If he has just gotten there it will take a few days for them to get the phones set up. Visitation is Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Take a clear bag of quarters to get drinks and snacks from the vending machine. You can send money orders. They have store call on Monday, Wednsday and Friday.
Good luck. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Donation Award 

I forgot to tell you the phone calls are through Bealls Communications 888-523-2557.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:55 PM

Smile Thanks for the infor on Sumter County Correctional

Thank You very much for the information on Sumter County Correctional and how to send stamps and stationary for him to write me. I have not called his counselor in a while so I need to talk to her about putting me and his father on the visitors list. I'm glad to know that you can visit with them outside and not be inside with a wall between you. mckrjk
Old 08-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Default Help!

Hello

I was wondering if anyone can help me. My father was just transfered yesterday morning from Johnson State to Sumter County Correctional in Americus. I live in Philadelphia,PA and am about to visit him over labor day. I have no idea about this place, what is visitation like? where should I stay? I haven't seen him in over a year (because of the distance) and now I'm really worried... any info would help me! Thanks in advance!

Lindsey
Old 08-14-2010, 12:53 PM

I know someone who was at Sumter several years ago and they said that the visitation was ok, but they are strict about following the rules like no touching except a hug and kiss at the beginning and end of visitation. Just make sure that you are on the visitation list before you travel because I have seen people get turned away even after making a long trip. Good luck and I hope your visit goes well.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:01 PM

Thank you so much for the info. I called yesterday to confirm that my father was there and had them check the list, since I had them on the phone. I heard that you are able to walk around with them and sit outside is this true? At Johnson it was more structured.... do you know anything about the area at all? I have no idea whats around it or anything, getting a little nervous about traveling down by myself... any other info you have would be great! Sorry about all the questions..
Old 08-14-2010, 03:57 PM

It's right outside of Americus, Georgia, which is a typical small southern town that's really all there is. The people there are pretty nice, real laid back relaxed kind of country town. There is a lot of farmland around the area (cotton, peanuts, pecan orchards), it's near the Flint River, it has a SuperWalmart, but not too much as far as shopping. That's really about all there is. I believe visitation is outside unless the weather is bad and they have vending machines. Most prisons allow you to bring $20 in change for the vending machines in a clear plastic bag, no cell phones, no purses or anything else. Some of them are strict as far as no shorts, halters or flip-flops, I have seen them tell people to go to Walmart to get appropriate clothing. I know my friend who went to see her bf at Sumter said that they would not allow him to hold their baby, she had to hold the baby the entire visit, but when my bf was at Johnson, they let him hold our baby the whole visit, so sometimes it can just be a matter of who is working the visitation room that day. Enjoy your visit.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:00 PM
~He has my heart~

I live in Americus where the SCCI is! It's an okay facility. This isn't a huge town @ all. If you need any info or help PM me! I could probably help since I live here & my fiance used to be @ SCCI.

*Chuck's Girl*
Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 PM

My boyfriend was transfered there from the diagnostic facility in Jackson.. It's twice the amount of time to get there because I live in Mobile, AL. I was thinking about visiting soon, but I am waiting on the significant other paper I have to fill out. My question was about dress for the visit. I read where other people are said it's outside so if it is.. its gonna be hot so am I allowed a sun dress as long as it's not short and strappy?.. or would I be better off in jeans?