Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Georgia.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:27 PM

Arrow Valdosta State Prison, Georgia

VALDOSTA STATE PRISON
(AKA: VALDOSTA / LOWNDES UNIT)

LOWNDES COUNTY, GEORGIA

ADDRESS:
POST OFFICE BOX 310 /
POST OFFICE BOX 5367
VALDOSTA, GA 31603

TEL.: (229) 333-7900
(229) 245-6450

FAX : (229) 333-5387
(229) 245-6586

ADULT MALE FELONS
CAPACITY: 870/316
CONSTRUCTED: 1988/1956
OPENED: 1989/1959
SECURITY LEVEL: CLOSE/MEDIUM
RENOVATED: 1989

MISSION:
To protect the public by maintaining custody of close security inmates, while providing academic and vocational education, MH/MR services and specialized counseling programs. The Intensive Therapeutic Program provides military style training to inmate, instilling discipline and teaching inmates to adjust to prison life. The Lowndes Unit maintains custody of medium and minimum security inmates.

HOUSING:
Consists of nine general population units with 480 beds and seven mental health units with 340 beds. The Intensive Therapeutic Program consists of one unit with 50 beds. The Lowndes Unit contains 316 general population beds.

WORK DETAILS:
Inside details: Orderlies, Grounds Maintenance, Horticulture, Laundry, Food Service, Trash, Library Aides, Barbers, Maintenance. The Lowndes Unit provides outside and inside details: Correctional Industries, Department of Transportation, Canines, Georgia State Patrol, National Guard Armory, City of Valdosta, Lowndes County.

PROGRAMS:

Academic: GED, ABE, Literacy, Remedial, GSAMS, Special Education

Substance Abuse: Substance Abuse Education, AA/NA, Relapse Prevention

Counseling: Corrective Thinking, Family Violence, Victims Impact, Vital Issues, Reality Therapy, Value Clarification, Intensive Therapeutic Program, Correctional Overview, TOPPSTEP, Anger Managment, Behavior Awareness

Recreation: General Recreation

Religious Activities: Various Worship Services, Bible Study, Spiritual Enlightenment

DIRECTIONS:
From Atlanta: I-75 South to Exit 18 in Valdosta. Turn right onto Highway 133 for one mile. Take the first street on the right. Valdosta SP follows the Lowndes Unit on the left.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2005, 01:52 PM

Question Visitation Rules at Valdosta State Prison?

I am going to visit an inmate at the Valdosta State Prison, GA. next Saturday, and I was wondering where I can find the rules for visitation at this prison. This will be the first time visiting an inmate, so I don't want to get him in trouble, nor do I want to have my visitation priveleges affected in any way.

After reading on the visitation forum, I realize that I want to put my washed quarters in a plastic baggie, and to not have any currency on me. I plan on taking my prescription medicine in advance of showering before going to the prison.

I have some questions, and I don't want to wait until I arrive at the prison before finding out the answers. Will I have a safe place to store any personal items that I may have? How long can the visit last? Can I take a digital camera in to take pictures? Can I print out his information sheet off the GDC website and take that in with me?

I would appreciate any help to a first time visitor so that the visit is beneficial for both myself and the inmate.

Thanks,
Old 05-15-2005, 05:54 PM

I do not visit that prison but I visit another one in Ga. You can not take in camera--leave personal items in the car. You can only take in ziploc with quarters. You can not bring in the printout off of the DOC website. I mailed J's in and they let him look at it and then the discarded the paper---says its a risk-for some members to find out what others are in for (J's is not a risk) but apparently is a blanket rule.

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 PM

Best thing to do it call Valdosta State Prision at (229) 333-7900. They will tell you everything that you need to know. Who can visit, how many can visit. We have a family of 12 and all 12 of us can visit my sone at one time. We can stay the entire time if we like.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaTim
I am going to visit an inmate at the Valdosta State Prison, GA. next Saturday, and I was wondering where I can find the rules for visitation at this prison. This will be the first time visiting an inmate, so I don't want to get him in trouble, nor do I want to have my visitation priveleges affected in any way.

After reading on the visitation forum, I realize that I want to put my washed quarters in a plastic baggie, and to not have any currency on me. I plan on taking my prescription medicine in advance of showering before going to the prison.

I have some questions, and I don't want to wait until I arrive at the prison before finding out the answers. Will I have a safe place to store any personal items that I may have? How long can the visit last? Can I take a digital camera in to take pictures? Can I print out his information sheet off the GDC website and take that in with me?

I would appreciate any help to a first time visitor so that the visit is beneficial for both myself and the inmate.

Thanks,
If you are worried about an ION scanner with the money then if I am not mistaken no GA prison has a scanner. You can only take your plastic bag of money, car keys and ID in the prison with you everything else must be locked in your car. At the prison I visit one of the guards check the cars to be sure they are locked and if not you will be asked to leave visitation to go lock your car. The only pictures you can take are the ones taken by the prison and your loved one must purchase a "picture ticket" from commissary to be able to take one. No other papers are allowed at visitation and you can not give the inmate anything to take back with them. If you dress like you are going to your Grandparents house and behave like a teenager at a church social that is strictly chaperoned then you will be fine. You are allowed a hug and kiss at the begining and end of each visit, where I go no other touching is allowed. Dont worry about too much just go and enjoy your visit, the first ones are always emotional for both sides. Have fun and enjoy your time with your loved one.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Donation Award 

http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/lo...317104141.html
Old 08-28-2011, 05:29 AM

Default VSP Mailroom

I would just like to know how is the mailroom system in Valdosta State Prison?
I'm from South East Asia and I sent mail to my boyfriend who's an inmate in VSP but it's been almost a month now and he still hasn't got any of my mails :-(
Local post office here says it'll only take up to 10 days for my mail to get to US, so I'm wondering maybe the problem is in the VSP mailroom.

Will it be a good thing to call the mailroom and ask? It's just really important for letters to get to my boyfriend, he's been expecting it. I got all his letters and mostly took only 10 days to get his letters but he hasn't got any of mine.

just pisses me off when there's huge delay on mails :-S especially when it's there in the mail room and they just let the mails pile up, wait for huge amount of time before they give it to recipients.. ugh!