Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Member Introductions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Indiana Member Introductions Please post your introduction here if you are involved with the Indiana prison system.

Old 05-01-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Intro - Jule003

This is my first real experience dealing with the Legal System -and I use that term losely! Before anything else I just wanted to say how brave I think each of us are. It's not easy to have a loved one in prison! My hubby is still at RDC (day 17) waiting to see his counsler. He was sentenced to 1 1/2 yrs. IDOC or County Jail followed by a 6 mos. sentence, to be served in a comunity corrections program. (Two seperate charges and counties) It looks like he'll be at a level 1 or 2. (although I'v learned not to hold my breath!) Of course we're hoping minimum sec. The closest facility to me would be Chain O'Lakes. Does anyone have any info. about this or similar facilities. We also have a 10 yr and 5 yr old who desperately want to visit their daddy. Any information would be great. Good luck- God Bless you and your loved ones. Jule
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO!

Glad to have you with us!

Diane
Old 05-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Back in the pen AGAIN

Talking welcome!

welcome to PTO! I'm sure someone will be along to answer some of your questions a little bit better than I can. Your man should be at RDC for approx 30 days before he is transfered. You can go to www.in.gov and type in "Indiana Department of Corrections" there go to the offender search. Type in his information and it will list all of his stats...they update it everyday so you'll know where he is at before he can contact you.
Also, we are having a get together for all the Indiana gals, it's June 11-13 in Auburn IN. PM me if your interested, there will be a lot of gals there that are in the same situation that you are.
If you have any more questions let me know!
Old 05-02-2004, 10:31 AM

My son will be sentenced this Thursday, and the way I read the law it is a 6 year minimum nonsuspendible sentence at least. My question is, what kind of educational opportunities are available at the various places he might go to? Can prisoners take on-line courses? Thanks for any information. Katya
Old 05-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Joy Seeker!

Hello and welcome!
TG hit on the RDC issue hated that part of this journey! As far as Chain O Lakes goes, I have no clue, but I remember someone recently asking about it there, so we must have at least one with a guy up there.

Katya, it depends on which prison he is at and no they don't get internet access, but he can get corespondence courses through the mail. Depending on which prison....they can do high school, college, trades, etc....it varies.

You are all in my prayers and I am so excited about the g2g!!

Becki
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phil 4:13
Old 05-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,722 Times in 1,646 Posts

Welcome to PTO!

Old 05-02-2004, 11:18 PM
He loves me so amazingly!

welcome to PTO Jule and Katya- you've come to the right place for support! Hope you can join us for the Indiana get together in June! I'm always around if you need anything.... My boyfriend is at MCF and I also use to work for DOC- so I have some knowledge from both sides of the fence. Blessings-
Lisa
Old 05-03-2004, 06:23 AM
Been here forever

Hi and welcome to pto
Old 05-03-2004, 07:55 AM

Thanks everyone for all your support- Thanks Thompson's Girl, the get together sounds fun, need to check on the date and I'll get back to you!
Jule
Old 05-03-2004, 07:56 AM

Jule003 - Hey! First off, I wanna say Welcome to PTO! You will find all these ladies extremely helpful and stress relieving. I know when I have a question, to come here. Most likely someone will have an answer. So it beats calling the facility and not getting a straight answer. You mentioned something about him possibly going Chain 'O Lakes. I think that is the best prison, but in my eyes its not really a prison. I expected it to at least look somewhat like Pendleton or Miami, but there is no fence or anything around it, its really open. They also get to work around the park, so its great that they get to get out of the building every now and then. And there's not really "guards" there...LOL If you think he is going there, just PM me with any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

**Not too long ago, my nigga caught a case. And I really don't know the next time I'll kiss his face. Even though ur gone. This relationship lives on. Being without u, is too hard to see. All u niggaz trying ta holla. Save my time and ya dollaz. Cuz I'm saving all my loving for my g.**
Old 05-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Is it 2011?

Welcome to PTO and thanks for sharing your story!!! I have no information for you, I just wanted to welcome you.

Old 05-06-2004, 11:28 PM

My son just got 20 years. This sounds impossibly hard. How long is it really? Also, what about prisoners getting married in Indiana? His fiancee and he would like to get married, but aren't sure what is allowed, and if conjugal visits are a part of the plan in Indiana. Anybody know? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:03 AM

Katya,

welcome to PTO and i guess to answer your question, more than likely if he received a 20 year sentence, he will have to do 10 years, but I would highly recomend he get into some classes that will cut his time down. as for weddings. most facilities in Indiana will allow weddings as long as he isn't a security risk. your future daughter inlaw may want to call the chaplain of where your son is at and the chaplain should be able to tell her everything she needs to know in order to get the ball rolling. in most places your son would have to send a request to the chaplain to be married and it goes from there.

hope this helps out a little. let us know what facility your son ends up in and some one might have a better idea of how marriages go in that certain facility.

Robin
Old 05-07-2004, 04:04 AM

by the way.... welcome JULE to PTO !!!! we are glad to see you made it here.

Robin
Old 05-07-2004, 07:22 AM

Katya- Welcome to PTO!! Robin was right about everything, as far as I know, you can get married at any facility. When I was visiting my friend at Pendleton not too long ago, a couple got married in there. But they were sitting in the visiting room, so after the visit, I was just being nosey and asked her what it was like to get married in there. She said the only thing that was private was the actual ceremony. They got no special treatment, she recieved her hour visit as usual. And the visit was like any other visit. Also, no facility in Indiana allows conjugal visits.

**Not too long ago, my nigga caught a case. And I really don't know the next time I'll kiss his face. Even though ur gone. This relationship lives on. Being without u, is too hard to see. All u niggaz trying ta holla. Save my time and ya dollaz. Cuz I'm saving all my loving for my g.**
Old 05-07-2004, 11:30 PM

Thanks, everybody. Today girlfriend and dI got to visit with my son a bit in a conference room. Thanks for your advice about education ... I made a quick trip to Bloomington and got the materials for the General Studies A.A. degree, ordered old transcripts, GED scores, etc., sent in, and my son is now signed up for three of the nine classes he will need for his associate's. Also I talked to the county jail where he is now and the RDC about how to get his mail to follow him wherever he is and whenever he goes. The bit about prison weddings sounds rather grim. Thanks for the support. Am I right in thinking the associate's will take off one of those tend years, and the bachelor's another two? Again, thanks to all.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Closed

Jule003 and Katya -
Welcome to PTO! I am so glad that you are here. We are a strong, tight group and we always welcome new members with hugs!
Feel free to ask any of us anything! We are a family here...just a reminder, the g2g is June 11 - 13. Would love to see you there!