Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > DELAWARE > Delaware DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Delaware DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Delaware Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Donation Award 

Default How long does it take inmates to get prison jobs, into programs, etc...

ok, so here goes... yes, i am about to hit the year mark of being involved in the prison system... but no, i am unable to get any answers ANYWHERE!!!

i love in delaware... my LO was arrested on feb 23rd... of 2011... he did not actually get sentenced until november, 2011... we have a little while to go... six years total... five-ish years left... one year almost down and "good time served"... then there is this nice rule that if you dont get in any trouble, you get awarded 2 days a month as "good time" (time knocked off the term)... ok, thats wonderful... the state of delaware website states that you can earn 5 days a month if you are enrolled in programs, continue your education, get a job... etc... (AWESOME!!!)

so here is the dilemma... my LO has been in his new "home" since november... all of the other guys there say that he has to meet with his "councellor" in order to get involved with a job, a program, etc... he has written numerous letters to the councellor, and some to the sergeant for that hall... etc... and nothing... in fact... he has only seen this guy come onto hsi building or his wing or his section or whatever once since he got there... once???

so i see it this way... we are losing 3 days a month for each month that he goes without getting a job, enrolling in a program, taking classes etc... so naturally, im being a nagging wife trying to push what cant be pushed... but this is my first time dealing with the DOC, so i am lost...

any advice or experience anyone would like to share in reference to obtaining jobs, etc? does anyone else have to go through a councellor in order to get these things? how long normally does it take? my LO has asked around, and everyone is saying that it takes years to get a job... YEARS?S?!?!?!?!?! what on earth is going on?

thanks guys... PTO is jsut so wonderful1!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Mike's Wifey

im not sure about delaware but i'm in maryland & if you get his case workers name you can call the prison & ask to speak to him. maybe you can get more direct answers. keep calling & leaving messages until you hear from him.

The Following User Says Thank You to babygiirl For This Useful Post:
raynebow_taster (02-03-2012)