Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > UNITED KINGDOM PRISON FORUMS > Transatlantic Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Transatlantic Connection Forum specifically for UK members with loved ones in the US prison system or US members with loved ones in the British prison system.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Default Upcoming radio prog on calif prisoners.

I know this may be of interest to some on here.
A Radio 4 programme next Tuesday, 20:00 on BBC Radio 4
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019fxb1

I'm sure this will be of use to those in the CA forum or some in the lifer forum. Unfortunately unless you're in the UK you probably can't hear this, even on iPlayer.
Quote:
Gary Younge travels to Los Angeles to hear the story of one family who has had three generations pass through America's criminal justice system. The United States is the world's leader in incarceration with 2.3 million people currently in the nation's prisons or jails, and the Gamble family is just one family in that story. Jeffrey Gamble's father spent time in jail, his brother's Ricky and Mike are set to be in prison for the rest of their lives whilst his son Khalif has spent time inside too. But why has this cyclical quality of family history stretched back three generations. What has caused it, what could have been done to stop it, and will it continue?
If it was not for one decisive moment in Jeffrey Gamble's life he believes he would either be dead or in prison for the rest of his life. In their own words the family reflect on what might have gone wrong since they moved to Los Angeles from Hope, Arkansas in the late 1960s. They all have differing versions but what becomes clear is that once you become a felon your chances of finding employment, housing and a new life are drastically diminished. What should be done to improve their chances? Is rehabilitation rather than punitive justice the answer and what will stop the same family members passing through the same prison doors?
Gary Young once stayed at my house btw! He's a nice guy.

If anyone can find a way to get around the UK only listening to radio4 iplayer, that'd be handy...
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,589 Posts

Thank you for this. I am VERY interested in this. How to get it to a wider audience? Hmmm not sure. It would have to be taped, then uploaded as an audio file. That is simple enough, but I don't have any audio equipment. If someone has, then I could play it to them live or on iplayer via Skype, then they could upload. Unless someone knows a simpler way?

America - land of the free, home of the incarcerated.

The USA has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the the worlds prisoners.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:07 AM
English Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,523 Times in 6,748 Posts

This is very interesting. I will have my son look at my laptop and see if there is anyway I can record it so I can upload it.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:09 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS811 View Post
Thank you for this. I am VERY interested in this. How to get it to a wider audience? Hmmm not sure. It would have to be taped, then uploaded as an audio file. That is simple enough, but I don't have any audio equipment. If someone has, then I could play it to them live or on iplayer via Skype, then they could upload. Unless someone knows a simpler way?
I've just had a quick peek around the BBC site and found this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/help/how-to-listen/#abroad
Quote:
Can I listen from outside the UK? You can listen to Radio 4 online anywhere in the world, but you will not be able to pick up BBC stations broadcasting on FM, MW and DAB very far from UK shores. They are funded by the UK licence fee and the BBC is not permitted to re-broadcast them from other countries.
I'm still not quite sure if the "listen again" service is available online abroad. It seems however that it can at least be listened to live...

There are ways around the UK only restriction, but they seem a bit complicated, using proxy servers located in the UK.

Am still looking for a way around this though!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Just bumping this up as it's on right now, so if anyone wanted to tune into BBC radio 4 online, you can catch the next 20 mins of this.