Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons Post all letters, stories and information from inmates and ex-convicts here. Share their perspective with the rest of us who have not been on the inside.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:29 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,378 Times in 3,117 Posts
Default ‘Call Out My Name’

‘Call Out My Name’

Darkness and loneliness fills my cell,
With pain and emptiness to great to tell.
I wait at mail call to hear my name,
As I hold back these tears/bury my shame.

I hope so sincerely with my eyes raised above,
“Please God, soon send me a letter of love”.

I long to gaze and read it so clear,
With its fullness of love, I'll always hold near.

“I love you, I miss you, I pray you’ll be free”,
A treasure of written love, in this envelope for me.

Yet, today’s cold darkness and loneliness prevail,
For my name once again, was not called for mail.
Cactus~.

P.S. Write, write, write.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cactus For This Useful Post:
Citalyn (07-20-2016), Huskers (07-26-2016), Keltria (07-01-2016), Libby1234 (08-24-2016), mauri23 (06-10-2017), maytayah (06-10-2017), miamac (07-20-2016), Nomes (06-24-2016), Sean'sGirl82 (08-24-2016), sidewalker (06-17-2016), sweetfla (06-30-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 PM

Thank you for that important reminder, Cactus!! I've become the worst at putting pen to paper any more, it seems that as the years march by, I become slower and slower in writing or sending cards to my son-in-law and his cellie. My son calls frequently, but during the last phone conversation we had he asked me to at least send a card to his cellie, who literally has no family, just one pen-pal in England and is serving life. I bought a card with no frills or whistles (aka anything considered contraband, so no pop-ups or pop-outs, glitter etc.) made sure it had a white envelope -- some facilities now require a white envelope only -- I'd got as far as addressing it last weekend and putting a stamp on the envelope before opening the card and sitting there just not knowing what to say. But as my son-in-law said, ANYTHING! Just words to let an inmate know they're not forgotten.

I'm going to now write what I haven't yet in that card and pop it in the mailbox. And send it with my love.

Last edited by Citalyn; 07-20-2016 at 08:03 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Citalyn For This Useful Post:
Cactus (09-14-2016), miamac (07-20-2016), shellh37 (06-10-2017), sidewalker (07-25-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 08:27 PM
Donation Award 

I have to admit when my brother first went to prison - I wasn't good at letter writing. I finally made a deal - I write one to him - he writes to me. That still didn't work. Now - I try to write at least 3 or 4 times a week - sometimes half a page sometimes several pages. He has been in SHU since March and has gotten better at writing - on his way to USP Lee with a regular transfer - hopefully out in the yard there - EMAIL - can't wait. When he had access to email - I never got a letter - and his emails were WAY to short for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huskers For This Useful Post:
Cactus (09-14-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 07:24 AM

My heart just broke. Time to finish up this letter to my mwi friend and get it into the mail.
The Following User Says Thank You to ahowell4 For This Useful Post:
Cactus (09-14-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 10:38 PM

Default So beautiful

So real so deep
Just touching I can't even imagine
Just do touching
The Following User Says Thank You to Aayaah For This Useful Post:
Cactus (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,378 Times in 3,117 Posts
Default Just a short follow-up...

Write, write and write again...that's my best advice for all! There is nothing greater behind that wall than to hear one’s own name called at mail-call. Writing on a regular basis will help you stay connected with each other. It will also give him or her something to focus on besides the politics behind that wall. Writing is a very important message for me to share. I cannot express enough about its importance.

There's always something to write about! Today we as a society depend way too much on instant communication--(text with gratification), so much so that we've forgotten how to write. Someone once said that putting pen or pencil to paper is like an ice cube on a hot stove. Just like the ice, words will tend to flow on their own and in their own direction. Much like a daily journal; share everything about you and the family in detail every day. You need that contact & reassurance, and remember too that he/she will have the opportunity to read and re-read each letter everyday.

That to me beats anything that could be said by phone (which is too expensive) or at visits (which are too short). Receiving letters from family and of course loved-ones on a continued basis will help keep him or her from becoming institutionalized, regardless of the time spent apart".

JMOpinion...
Cactus~
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cactus For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-15-2016), LadyTroy (02-27-2017), LuvBugBlacky (06-10-2017), mauri23 (06-10-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama jo View Post
Yes my son loves getting mail even though we talked once a week he still wants mail he loves the mail it lives up his day more than a phone call
Old 06-10-2017, 05:35 AM
Donation Award 

Thanks a lot for your thoughts.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:37 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,574 Times in 2,987 Posts

I know this post is a year old but its a good reminder of how important a simple letter is to inmates. With the electronic communications available now a simple hand written letter saying Hi I am thinking of you can still be so important.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
onparoleinTO (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 03:22 PM
OnparoleinTO

When you're in jail, every letter is a ray of light. It's impossible to overstate how important these links to the 'real world' are, even for short timers.
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
mama jo (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post
When you're in jail, every letter is a ray of light. It's impossible to overstate how important these links to the 'real world' are, even for short timers.
This is so true a letter from home means everything to them my son tells me every single day when we can talk letters mean more to him than anything to keep him knowing what is going on it does mean a ray of sunshine in that doll very dull Gray Place
Old 06-10-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post
😎 yes it is a ray of sunshine in that dark dull Gray Place that they call home my son loves to mail and it does mean quite a bit and there is people in there that never hear from no one so, 😞