Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM

Default Patton State Hospital

Not sure where to put this, but there's nothing for Patton on here, so maybe someone in General can direct me where to post or knows where I can find some answers.

My gf has a blockmate at Lynwood/CRDF who's been sentenced to Patton, supposedly for mental incompetence. For some reason she's under the impression that her blockmate will only be in Patton for a few months and then released with charges dropped. This doesn't make sense to me. I also have had someone tell me that if you get sentenced to Patton that your term is indefinite. Also, I was under the impression that if you are mentally incompetent to stand trial and then, after treatment, become competent to stand trial, that at that point you will stand trial? I'm really not sure I understand. The last thing I want her doing is somehow convincing the judge that she's not competent to stand trial and then winding up in a State Hospital indefinitely. Plus, a few years back I knew a guy who worked as a psychologist there (or maybe it was a psychiatrist...either way, he dealt with the patients there on a pretty high level) and he told me the people there were "some of the sickest individuals you could ever hope to avoid."

Basically Dee thinks (because she does have a diagnosis of Bipolar and some mental health issues in her past) that if she can convince a judge that she is not mentally competent to stand trial that they'll just sentence her to Patton for a few months and then she can get about her life. If that were true, and if that option is safe, that'd be great, but I have a sneaking feeling it doesn't work that way.

Anyone with any idea about how sentencing to Patton works, your input would be appreciated. Right now the last offer was 2 years of County Time. She's served 2 1/2 months. I'm encouraging her when she goes to court next week to take the deal so we can be over with the worrying about a possible trial and sentencing and just start making plans for when she gets out. I miss her so much.

Thank you.

-E
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 PM

Thanked 1,901 Times in 945 Posts

Sorry but I don't know anything about Patton except it's a mental hospital located in San Bernardino which houses many found to be mentally incompetent and/or those found guilty but suffering from a mental condition. I would discourage her plan. A mental hospital is nothing to play with. She's not looking at that much time so it would be better to just do her time making the best of it. Her plan could work perfectly or she could find herself in a world of trouble and I wouldn't be willing to take the chance. I wish the two of you the best.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DP's Girl For This Useful Post:
missingdee (01-05-2012), sidewalker (01-06-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP's Girl View Post
Sorry but I don't know anything about Patton except it's a mental hospital located in San Bernardino which houses many found to be mentally incompetent and/or those found guilty but suffering from a mental condition. I would discourage her plan. A mental hospital is nothing to play with. She's not looking at that much time so it would be better to just do her time making the best of it. Her plan could work perfectly or she could find herself in a world of trouble and I wouldn't be willing to take the chance. I wish the two of you the best.
Thanks DP, I'm thinking the same way you are here, just trying to see if anyone does have experience with it or has some knowledge about it. I looked into it a little bit when she told me about her bunkie's sentencing, but I really couldn't find much out about it except for what you know. The only perk is that it seems like she could potentially get contact visits there, but what good would that be if we don't know when she's going to get out, you know?

I've been reading some really bad things about things that have happened at Patton in the past on top of it all and I'm just worried about the kinds of people she'll encounter when she's in there. Apparently CRDF is on overfill in their mental health section (Yellows) right now and her current bunkie (the one who is going to Patton is actually in the hole right now for singing "I Shot The Sheriff" of all things...at least that's the story I got from a few of the inmates who I talked to on the phone right around then...) is, as Dee puts it, "not all there" and I think she's realizing that she's not as "crazy as the crazies", so to speak (no disrespect intended to those with mental illness, I've got a diagnosis of Bipolar myself, I'm just speaking sort of relative to how she talks about them.) I think after I visit this weekend I'll have convinced her to take the plea bargain, but if anyone does know something about it that I don't, please let me know.

-E
Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 AM
grateful for my Man!
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,611 Posts

there are different levels in your question:

1) this bunkie wants to try to not get a try, based on her mental ill issues in the past.
I have no idea if this would work. I either dont know what would be the consequence, but out of MY point of view, if a trial would get dropped, she might not get sentenced to prison either.

2) if she would be seen as insane IN THE MOMENT OF HER CRIME, then she would be COMMITTED for reason of insanity to a State hospital. (there are more than one, so which one the time would show!)
she would be committed; this means, she gets many years and have to go through all the paperwork process to get a *restauration of sanity again* and on this process she depends FULLY of the evaluations of the doctors. and they dont run any risk.
so she might do much more time as she would do in prison!!!!
if she is committed to DMH (dep of Mental Health) she risk to get a very long time, as there is the right they have for the restauration of sanity.... but for sure all depends on what her crime is/was.

to be honest.... If it is a small thing she is in for, I would do the time and then make sure I would never seen the inside of a prison/jail again. there is a far better chance to get treatmen outside.
in the prison there is treatment as well, which actual is only based to pass out medication.... no disrspect meant,but I dont call it therapy if there are other people in the same room who can hear all what is shared. so the way this is handled in prison is just the basic which is needed to assure the right medication.

out of my personal point of view (and I am a psychiatric nurse) I see cannot see to spent a few months in a State Hospital would prevent a trial. and IF it would prevent a trial RIGHT NOW, there is a huge chance this is following up after. but I dont know how this is handled in Ca.
but in the way of thinking of the system: if a person is not able to stand trial, this person is not able to live outside either, (what the *crime* showed); so there is a huge chance it would lead into a comitting for reason of insanity..... but this is my privat point of view!

the way the other acts is his karma and responsibility, the way I respond is mine!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shush For This Useful Post:
missingdee (01-07-2012), sidewalker (01-06-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 04:24 AM

Default Patton/DMH

I can't really tell if you are asking for this info for your gf or her blockmate, but she does not want to get caught up in the DMH system in CA. Yes, you can be tried after they find you competent to stand trial.
I am involved in the CDCr/DMH system with my husband (not Patton, but SVPP) and it is nothing to monkey around with.
If she has any offer of a deal and already has served that much of it, I would advise taking it and making sure that good time credits would apply and then behave so I got out and put it behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Not sure where to put this, but there's nothing for Patton on here, so maybe someone in General can direct me where to post or knows where I can find some answers.

My gf has a blockmate at Lynwood/CRDF who's been sentenced to Patton, supposedly for mental incompetence. For some reason she's under the impression that her blockmate will only be in Patton for a few months and then released with charges dropped. This doesn't make sense to me. I also have had someone tell me that if you get sentenced to Patton that your term is indefinite. Also, I was under the impression that if you are mentally incompetent to stand trial and then, after treatment, become competent to stand trial, that at that point you will stand trial? I'm really not sure I understand. The last thing I want her doing is somehow convincing the judge that she's not competent to stand trial and then winding up in a State Hospital indefinitely. Plus, a few years back I knew a guy who worked as a psychologist there (or maybe it was a psychiatrist...either way, he dealt with the patients there on a pretty high level) and he told me the people there were "some of the sickest individuals you could ever hope to avoid."

Basically Dee thinks (because she does have a diagnosis of Bipolar and some mental health issues in her past) that if she can convince a judge that she is not mentally competent to stand trial that they'll just sentence her to Patton for a few months and then she can get about her life. If that were true, and if that option is safe, that'd be great, but I have a sneaking feeling it doesn't work that way.

Anyone with any idea about how sentencing to Patton works, your input would be appreciated. Right now the last offer was 2 years of County Time. She's served 2 1/2 months. I'm encouraging her when she goes to court next week to take the deal so we can be over with the worrying about a possible trial and sentencing and just start making plans for when she gets out. I miss her so much.

Thank you.

-E
Make your place in the mystery and think hard on those around you.What holds people together is a pain that has no wound. All your love grows from this pain. All that understand this are wiser than good or evil. Do secret good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aligatorz For This Useful Post:
missingdee (01-07-2012), Shush (01-06-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 AM

Thank you Shush and Aligatorz, I really appreciate both of you responding and giving feedback.

Just to clarify, the question is mostly for my gf but also partly for her one-time bunkie. For some reason she was under the impression she would spend only 4 months at Patton. That didn't seem right to me. Then someone told her bunkie's GF (her bunkie is in a same-sex relationship just so we're clear that this isn't some co-ed situation somehow) that Patton sentences are indefinite and not a set amount of time. (Maybe it's 4 months in Patton and then they re-evaluate to determine her competence for trial? I don't know, I wish I could explain where the 4 months number came from.)

Believe me when I say that I'm opposed to this option. However, since as of our last visit Dee was thinking about exploring an insanity/Patton option (how exactly I'm not sure,) I thought I would ask so that when I go to visit her this weekend I can tell her "that's a good idea, people said blah blah blah" or "that's a bad idea, this is what people told me." From every person I've talked to OUTSIDE of the inmate population, I've been informed this is a VERY BAD idea and you guys have just reinforced it, thank you, I appreciate that and going in armed with what you've told me will help me convince her NOT to go that route.

I just want to clarify where I stand - she's got the 2 years COUNTY TIME offer on the table as of last court date, I'm crossing my fingers that MAYBE they'll reduce it but even if that's as low as the offer goes, the reality is 50% time as long as she's on good behavior. To this point I know she was locked down for 24 hours once for a minor infraction but I don't believe they had any disciplinary hearings or took away any credit for it (maybe for that day specifically but nothing past that.) I know it's rough in there and she's exploring every way out but the last few weekends have been VERY POSITIVE and this past weekend was actually the first time I heard her say "well...maybe if I have to do my time in county, if there's no other good option, it won't be so bad, I know how things go in here now and I love getting your letters and it's hard not to see my kids but you visit me and I know when I get out you're going to help me get back in their lives (which is true, I have made that promise and I'll do everything I can to help her re-establish that relationship, I just wish her ex- would let them write to her.)" So....please just keep a good thought for both of us and pray pray PRAY that she will take the deal (I don't like our chances at trial, especially not with this public defender, dude is WORTHLESS) so we can get this part over with, figure out when her release date is, and start REALLY planning getting both our lives back on track together.

-E
Old 01-07-2012, 03:34 AM
grateful for my Man!
Donation Award 

just know.... with two years of time it is NO good solution to have anything to do with dmh!
what most forget is, if you have to do with prison it is already bad, but there might be a chance to get a job in the future..... but if you have to deal with dmh, there is normal not much chance left for the future.
and this plops up what ever you are going to do in the future. for example if in the future you want to give massages, it might not be possible because of the time in dmh, or might bring you trouble if someobdy finds out.

people are scared of patients; this is the same everywhere.

the lawyer has really done a good job.....

for the 4 months; this might come from an evalutation time; if our psychiatric hospital here has to do evaluations, this is a time frame which is used. then it is decided if it is more needed, of if a treatement is not needed. with other words: after 4 months they or speak you insane or you are sane and you go to trial then.....

the way the other acts is his karma and responsibility, the way I respond is mine!
The Following User Says Thank You to Shush For This Useful Post:
missingdee (01-09-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 AM

Am not sure how the county system would work for DMH referral programs. CDCr has a program called 'Psych and Return' (*lol* I first thought it was called 'psycho return') which sends inmates to either SVPP at Salinas Valley SP or to the program at Vacaville. This is generally a very low level mental health program and is about 6 months in length. There are also 'Intermediate Level' programs and 'mental health crisis beds' which are for acute cases. CDCr also uses Patton and Atascadero for inmates but those hospitals are not on prison grounds and also have general public mental health cases.
Once you go to DMH (in any capacity) Title 15 no longer applies. DMH falls under Title 22.
Make your place in the mystery and think hard on those around you.What holds people together is a pain that has no wound. All your love grows from this pain. All that understand this are wiser than good or evil. Do secret good.
The Following User Says Thank You to aligatorz For This Useful Post:
missingdee (01-09-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 AM

One other thing. CDCr has recently increased their DMH bed capacity at SVPP to about 4 times what it was previously. Almost all of the doctors, psychs, and other mental health staff are 'contract employees' provided by an agency under contract to CDCr. They are not really either CDCr or DMH employees as far as I can tell from looking at the contract details I could find online. Staff is not only rotated, but frequently change so there is very little accountability or consistency. Well, that, in of itself is about the only consistency I have found.
The Following User Says Thank You to aligatorz For This Useful Post:
missingdee (01-09-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 PM
grateful for my Man!
Donation Award 

really not helpful when staff rotates all the time!

The Following User Says Thank You to Shush For This Useful Post:
missingdee (01-09-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post

Thank you.

-E
Yeah, your friend is not understanding the process. She will go to Patton for evaluation of competency. When found competent she will go back to court. They can hold her for 3 years to try to adjust meds and provide treatment and education to get her competent. In order to be competent to stand trial she has to be able to understand the charges against her and the rolls of the parties (judge, etc) involved and the different plea options, not really rocket science so she would have to be pretty sick to not pass that test and be really good at acting to carry that out for three years. If after 3 years she is still not competent AND they think she is a danger to herself or the community she can be indefinitely committed under a civil commitment. If she goes to trial and goes for a not guilty by reason of insanity plea and "wins" that then she would go to Patton or Napa, also indefinitely committed. If this is a low level offense she really should just take the best deal and get on with her life.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cricket7 For This Useful Post:
aligatorz (01-09-2012), missingdee (01-09-2012), Shush (01-08-2012), sidewalker (09-03-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 AM

cricket - most informative answer yet (all due respect to the other posters who I also thank for taking the time, but that was the most specific example to this point.) After seeing her today and saying "EVERYBODY says DON'T try for Patton" and really weighing the options and talking about some of her fears, I think that when she goes back to court on Tuesday that she's going to take the plea. Fingers crossed. Please keep a good thought and a prayer. I hate that she's in there, but I also don't want to encourage her to do something that might make the situation even worse. I'm hoping we've got it resolved...I just want the court stuff done so we can start having an idea of when she'll get out and we can start living life like normal again...

-E
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 PM
grateful for my Man!
Donation Award 

wishing you the best!!!

Old 09-03-2012, 01:57 AM

My aunt works here as a CO and they usually stay forever
Old 09-03-2012, 01:58 AM

Are 4 years LOL late reply I know
Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,467 Posts

There are 2 ways to get to Patton.
One is a finding of trial incompetency. Those statutes begin at PC 1368, and it is quite a process. The lawyer declares a client can't assist in their own defense as a result of a mental disorder or defect. The usual problem is a client wanting to plead guilty to please the voice in their head, or won't take a deal because they are on a secret government mission. Sometimes a client might be too ill to even have a chat. At least 1 psychologist or psychologist makes a finding that the lawyer is right or wrong. There can be up to 3 evaluations. Either side has the right to a jury trial, or everyone can agree. Once the matter is final on teh issue of trial incompetence, a report has to be done by teh county mental health director regarding palcement to make teh defendant competent. That letter nearly always says State Hospital is teh best choice. Patton is one of a handful of State Hospitals (others are Metro, Atascadero, and Napa). There's a delay getting to the hospital and eventually they are shipped. At best, the process up to this point takes around a month, 2 months is pretty average, and 3 mos. not unusual. Once at the hospital the inmate is evaluated, medicated, and educated. Average stay is around 4 mos. A handful go into the State hospital system and never get out, but that is highly unusual. The hospital dioesn't have to make the defendant well, merely "competent". That only requires a general understanding of the court process and the ability to go the legal equivalent of fogging a mirror. Once competent the inmate returns and the case starts back up.
The other way is a finding of "not guilty by reason of insanity". The maximum at the hospital is what the sentence could have been. Thereafter, there's a civil process if they want to hang on to someone. If teh hospital says they are good to go, they are supervised by Conrep and are in a structured living situation until they prove themselves.