Yea I think that you can wear sandles. I have wore sandles they are not full open toe ones but I have seen people wear sandles. I am not sure if all of the prisons are the same but i think you can wear them but you might want to double check before hand. If you want you can always try and take an extra pair of shoes with you when you go that way you can just change them if there is a problem.
I would think that they would like if you wore sandles then you could not hide anything in your shoes. But I would check first or take an extra pair just in case!
I beleive that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly
Yuck! Who wants to wear hose or socks with sandals!
You would look like a total idiot!
I am going for a visit on Friday and I will ask someone then.
I will also pick up a set of clothing rules just to "refresh my memory".
I know I dont particuarlly want to wear no hose or socks.... You pretty much have to dress like a nun! I mean really.. *laughs* What the heck is it going to do if they see your naked toes anyways? Maybe the prisons are just afraid that the men incarcerated will have feet fetishes or something...LOL, get all crazy and lustful over some womans feet......
I was kinda thinking what Melanie posted before -- that you would think the prison wouldn't object to you wearing sandals because you couldn't hide anything in them.
I'll let you know when I get back after Friday's visit. Thanks girls!
I spoke to two, female CO's about the sandals. They both said that at Grafton you are allowed to wear them. They didn't say anything about hose or socks. I got a new dress code paper, so next time I log on, I will let you know exactly what it says.
I would say to anyone visiting Ohio prisons - talk to the CO's about the dress code/shoes before going. I believe that the prisons all have their own rules. I don't believe that it is "across the board". That would be too easy!
Just as a precautionary, I will be bringing socks and shoes with me just in case they change their minds about the sandals (not like that hasn't ever happened)!
Here is the actual wording for the dress code for Grafton, OH. I don't know if this is the same at other Ohio prisons, so please check with the prison that you visit.
DRESS GUIDELINES: Visitors shall be dressed in a manner consistant with the below-listed guidelines, or will not be permitted to enter the institution for the purpose of visiting.
a) Shoes must be worn;
b) Shirts must be worn;
c) The following examples of clothing are not appropriate to be worn by visitors and shall result in a denial of the visitor to enter the institution:
1) See-through clothing;
2) No shorts, culottes, or knickers unless under the age of 12. Capri and clam digger pants are permitted as long as they are of appropriate fit and length.
3) Skirts or dresses shorter than the middle of the knee. (Exceptions for children age 12 or under will be evaluated by the visiting staff.)
4) Slits in dresses/skirts above the middle of the knee.
5) Clothing with gang or club insignias or obscene gestures and/or language;
6) Tank-tops, tube-tops and muscle shirts;
7) Bare midriff clothing;
8) Wrap around dresses and blouses/skirts;
9) Low cut dresses or blouses, front or back and no sleeveless blouses, shirts or dresses;
10) "Spandex" type clothing or tight fitting clothing similar to "spandex";
11) Appropriate undergarments must be worn; i.e., bra, slip and underwear;
12) Dresses/skirts with full length buttons
13) No skull caps or bandannas
I went for a visit on Friday (05/21) and wore sandals (I had extra shoes and socks in my car, just in case ). I didn't have any trouble at all. In fact, almost all the women that I saw going in for visits that day were wearing sandals and no hose or socks!
But, like I said, this was at Grafton. Not sure about the other prisons.