Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Texas should be posted here.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 AM

Default Does having a Parole attorney better your chances?

Does it better their chances for parole if they have a attorney?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Mrs. Alcorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjack
Does it better their chances for parole if they have a attorney?
I have seen a lot of people on here say it was a waste of money but then others swear by it. I didn't use one. I made my parole packet myself and my fiancé was just granted parole on dec 7th. IMO save yourself the money and do the packet on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

The Following User Says Thank You to IloveyouRuben For This Useful Post:
Renee (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 01:34 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

Thanked 4,094 Times in 970 Posts

That’s probably one of most debated issues to be found the world over when discussing anything that has to do with TDCJ or the Parole Board. The only real truth I could think to say about parole attorneys and their effectiveness to help someone get out of prison would be that it wont’ hurt to try, but don’t get your hopes up too high.

There are 3 things the parole board looks at that a lot of people don’t take into consideration when it comes to the issue of parole that an attorney doesn’t have the ability to influence or change. The nature of offense, how much time is served on a sentence and a prisoner’s conduct record are all points that the board considers more so than anything else. Where a parole attorney is concerned, those are issues that they don’t have any way of affecting. The nature of the offense has to do with what led to someone being put in prison. The amount of time served on that sentence and their conduct record reflect what has happened since they went inside. If those are the issues considered most by a board member or a commissioner then, what good is a parole attorney? In reality, they’re more like a well paid cheer leader on the sideline trying to cheer the team on and provide a bit of encouragement. Does that make a difference as to who wins or not? No, but it probably helps a little bit. A parole packet is not that hard to put together and if the truth be known, the most important document within a packet is the letter to the board that the prisoner who is coming up for review writes on his own behalf. You don’t need a parole attorney to write a 1 page or 1 ½ page letter if you’re in prison and want to communicate with the people who are to vote on your case.

Parole attorneys often say of themselves that they have a good rapport with members of the parole board in which they have the ability to present material or gain possible favor that other people may not possess. It may be that a parole attorney does in fact have a good relationship with someone on the board, but that doesn’t mean that the person who comes up for parole will be perceived with more consideration or less bias because of that. There’s always been a “smoke & mirrors” type persona about parole attorneys that has turned me off and I can remember a time when there was no such thing. Criminal attorneys and civil attorneys, yes, but a parole attorney……what is it that they’re supposed to be able to do that the law doesn’t protect and provide for? You do your time, you stay out of trouble and one day you go home; that’s it. So where does a parole attorney play into all that? Are they effective because they know how to put together a parole packet that a 5th grader could do, as well? Are they effective because they supposedly have an undercover understanding or relationship of good standing with a board member that will help someone get out of prison faster as opposed to if they didn’t have a parole attorney? You know what I think parole attorneys are all about? I think they’re a group of money hungry opportunists that figured out an easy way to make money off of people who assume some things that don’t know any better. That’s what I think. They are not representing someone in a court of law in the way that a criminal or civil attorney does. They’re going before a panel of people who have been appointed by a higher authority from within the government that make decisions based on a political philosophy or attitude and therefore they’re not really attorneys. Parole boards and parole panels are not influenced by points of justice that call for interpretations of the law as seen in a court room. They are a group of people that weigh the severity of a crime committed against the amount of time served and the conduct of the individual who is up for consideration. It’s the term “attorney” that brings about a degree of dishonesty about the whole parole process that is wrong. An attorney is someone who represents you in a court of law where the facts and the interpretation of the law come into play. Parole attorneys are not presenting facts of any real importance that determine the outcome of anything. You’ve already been convicted and it’s more a matter of someone on the parole board taking a look at whether or not they think you’ve paid enough of the debt you owe to society back and whether or not you’d be a threat to someone once you get out.

Cara1947 (01-02-2012), gabby1979 (01-12-2012), j_massey (01-08-2012), Klewis (12-30-2011), LovingJEasley (12-30-2011), MamaB58 (01-27-2012), montysmom (12-29-2011), Renee (12-27-2011), WilcoMom (01-01-2012), Y25 (01-03-2012)
Old 12-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand
That’s probably one of most debated issues to be found the world over when discussing anything that has to do with TDCJ or the Parole Board. The only real truth I could think to say about parole attorneys and their effectiveness to help someone get out of prison would be that it wont’ hurt to try, but don’t get your hopes up too high.

There are 3 things the parole board looks at that a lot of people don’t take into consideration when it comes to the issue of parole that an attorney doesn’t have the ability to influence or change. The nature of offense, how much time is served on a sentence and a prisoner’s conduct record are all points that the board considers more so than anything else. Where a parole attorney is concerned, those are issues that they don’t have any way of affecting. The nature of the offense has to do with what led to someone being put in prison. The amount of time served on that sentence and their conduct record reflect what has happened since they went inside. If those are the issues considered most by a board member or a commissioner then, what good is a parole attorney? In reality, they’re more like a well paid cheer leader on the sideline trying to cheer the team on and provide a bit of encouragement. Does that make a difference as to who wins or not? No, but it probably helps a little bit. A parole packet is not that hard to put together and if the truth be known, the most important document within a packet is the letter to the board that the prisoner who is coming up for review writes on his own behalf. You don’t need a parole attorney to write a 1 page or 1 ½ page letter if you’re in prison and want to communicate with the people who are to vote on your case.

Parole attorneys often say of themselves that they have a good rapport with members of the parole board in which they have the ability to present material or gain possible favor that other people may not possess. It may be that a parole attorney does in fact have a good relationship with someone on the board, but that doesn’t mean that the person who comes up for parole will be perceived with more consideration or less bias because of that. There’s always been a “smoke & mirrors” type persona about parole attorneys that has turned me off and I can remember a time when there was no such thing. Criminal attorneys and civil attorneys, yes, but a parole attorney……what is it that they’re supposed to be able to do that the law doesn’t protect and provide for? You do your time, you stay out of trouble and one day you go home; that’s it. So where does a parole attorney play into all that? Are they effective because they know how to put together a parole packet that a 5th grader could do, as well? Are they effective because they supposedly have an undercover understanding or relationship of good standing with a board member that will help someone get out of prison faster as opposed to if they didn’t have a parole attorney? You know what I think parole attorneys are all about? I think they’re a group of money hungry opportunists that figured out an easy way to make money off of people who assume some things that don’t know any better. That’s what I think. They are not representing someone in a court of law in the way that a criminal or civil attorney does. They’re going before a panel of people who have been appointed by a higher authority from within the government that make decisions based on a political philosophy or attitude and therefore they’re not really attorneys. Parole boards and parole panels are not influenced by points of justice that call for interpretations of the law as seen in a court room. They are a group of people that weigh the severity of a crime committed against the amount of time served and the conduct of the individual who is up for consideration. It’s the term “attorney” that brings about a degree of dishonesty about the whole parole process that is wrong. An attorney is someone who represents you in a court of law where the facts and the interpretation of the law come into play. Parole attorneys are not presenting facts of any real importance that determine the outcome of anything. You’ve already been convicted and it’s more a matter of someone on the parole board taking a look at whether or not they think you’ve paid enough of the debt you owe to society back and whether or not you’d be a threat to someone once you get out.
Thanks for your insight!! I really appreciate this!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 PM

Thanked 1,237 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post

Well said Marty.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveyouRuben View Post
I have seen a lot of people on here say it was a waste of money but then others swear by it. I didn't use one. I made my parole packet myself and my fiancé was just granted parole on dec 7th. IMO save yourself the money and do the packet on your own.

Was this his first parole hearing?
Old 12-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Mrs. Alcorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky's Wifey

Was this his first parole hearing?
Yes it was I realize that he's very lucky but as by my fiancé's situation people can see its not impossible to get parole your first time up and WITHOUT a parole "attorney"

Old 12-30-2011, 02:29 PM

I hired a parole lawyer for my husband and while some say don't get one and some say do, it's a personal choice and one only you and your loved one can make. My husband has done 17 months on a 12 and was granted FI-2 today on his first time up. Was it because of the lawyer? I can't say for certain but I do know this, if I had to do it all over again, and I hope I never do, I wouldn't change a damn thing!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Account Closed

I think its something that has mixed opinions and a personal opinion. For my husband and I we do not want to spend the money on a Parole Attorney. However, for his next Parole Review we have an Attorney who will represent him for no fee. Last Parole Review I did the work myself and it stressed me out to a point I broke down when he was given his 1 year set-off. So, next time around I'm going to let the Attorney do the work with my help. Will it increase his chances? Probably not. Will it make us feel better? Probably so.

Fortunately from what I understand, if an Attorney is Licensed to Practice Law in the State of Texas then they are eligible to represent an Offender for Parole. So, we will see how it goes. As always I will not give a dime to pay for a "Parole Attorney" to represent my husband and he won't allow me to do so.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,719 Posts

Was your husband in prison for a violent offense. I mean I am glad this worked for you but not many can say they have received the same luck as you. I know plenty of people that have not even been sentenced to 12 years and they are having to do most of their whole sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codysgirl11 View Post
I hired a parole lawyer for my husband and while some say don't get one and some say do, it's a personal choice and one only you and your loved one can make. My husband has done 17 months on a 12 and was granted FI-2 today on his first time up. Was it because of the lawyer? I can't say for certain but I do know this, if I had to do it all over again, and I hope I never do, I wouldn't change a damn thing!

To the world you might just be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 PM

My husband is not in for a violent offense and the point of my post was simply that to hire a parole attorney or not is a personal choice and one that should not be made simply on the recommendation of another. It is a decision that should be made based on personal preference and all the information at hand. While I am not positive that having a parole attorney is the reason that my husband was granted parole, I am very happy knowing that I did what I thought was best for him.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:34 PM

I live in louisiana but my husband is in prison in texas.....i need some names of some parole attorneys....and a idea about fees

Sent from my LS670 using PrisonTalk
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 PM

Thanks in advance

Sent from my LS670 using PrisonTalk
Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 PM

What county was he charged in? I have found it best to get an attorney who practices where he was charged...
Old 01-27-2012, 09:31 PM

RA Treasure Hunt Winner 

Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,014 Posts

In my opinion, the answer is no. The first year I did the parole packet myself. Was denied. The second year, I hired a parole attorney. I wanted to make sure I was doing everything I could. She asked for a copy of the parole packet I had made and never asked for any further information. My son was given a serve all from parole and then denied his PRD. He is now back up again. The only time I hear from her is to tell me that he is back up again, which I already know, and then to tell me he was denied, which I already knew for several days. So, in our experience it was a waste of money. Would I do it again? Probably. Just for the simple fact that I know we have done all we can.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 PM

Default Parole package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post

. I am new at this and hope I am doing this right, I was so happy to find you again, I read one of your post when I was trying to get as much information on Gurney as I could and what you wrote was so moving, brought me to tears of how it is when someone first gets in the system, my son will be there three weeks this Thursday, first time offender but was in county jail 17 months we could not afford bail, I could not remember your name but wrote it down now, my mind is getting bad with my age. Was so happy to see what you wrote here because I cannot afford an attorney and my daughter and I are going to have to do the parole packet ourselves. I have tried and tried to find out exactly what we need to put in this packet I called Gurney and they said he could not do anything for 32 days from Jan. 13, not talk to us, not have commissary that his processing would take that long so we were counting on having those 32 days to get his packet together, but I got a letter from him today saying he is finished with sociology last thing to do which I don't know what that means and he hoped we had his parole packet ready that another young man in there told him his family had done his and sent him copies, now I am panicking that we don't even know exactly what to put in there, I have letters from people that know him well and for years and pictures of our family and I was going to write a letter also, I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer which I did not tell him till he was about to leave did not want him worrying about me where he was but knew I had to tell him before he left and now we are debating to use it so they will send him closer to us but heard the prisons near Dallas were not good, reading things on here can be scary sometimes, he mentioned Hutchins I think, was hoping he could get into a faith based prison there is Prison fellowship that is go awesome. He is in for controlled substance, he got addicted to his ADD medicine, has been ADD since he was twelve but like he said he just made bad choices and he looks at it now as God saved his life, he fell for awhile but has picked himself back up, God does everything for a reason he says. Everyone at county said he should get a turnaround which we did not know what that was but talking to others there visiting their family member that had been through this said it was basically going through the process at gurney seeing he has been in jail 17 months, excellent behavior, and even the guards there said he should be released right away I just can't believe so many people would be wrong I got to know these families so well when we visited my son every visiting day, and his lawyer also saying he' ll get timed serve with good behavior, so sorry I go on and on I'm just glad to let it all out , I pray so hard and we have been blessed in so many ways, I tell my son be humble God loves humility and know God is always with him, he knows that at county I told him always smile you may touch someone's life, someone who just may have needed that smile and kindness, to look for the reelection of God in everyone you meet and being his first time ever in jail and for that long it got him through it, he keeps telling me he's ok, gurney is better then county they can move around and do things and he said it was awesome to see so many inmates at church singing like they did, he loved that part. I still could not get a lot of information on Gurney and so much of it was old, I've never written on here and I hope I didn't say to much , but everyone here seems to be such good people I pray for for the many that their hearts are breaking as mine is, I feel so happy for those that are released, answered prayers. It just hurts so bad when it's your child, you are an inspiration to everyone here, God uses you that's what I tell my son when he tries to help someone, you are his angel on earth to many here there are no coincidences, coincidences are Gods way of remaining anonymous. I got on here and was so mad I could not remember your name then there it is in the subject I was looking for, I had just asked God to please not make it be to late to send in a packet and please help me find some information on what to send, finally my main question can you or I guess anyone who reads this tell me what is best to send the parole and my son gave us an address also, do we just say its for him and his # my daughter said we will send it overnight so they can get it right away, I'm afraid that if he's finished with processing the parole process will start. Does his good behavior for the 17 months he was at county count, I hope it does. Again I'm sorry so long, so many questions but just telling us what we will need in packet and what you know about being sent home right away what they called a turnaround the other inmates and guards told him about. Keep writing all you write, remember its God using you, and to all here your in my prayers always, now after all this I hope I did this right, God bless you and your family, how blessed they are you are home . Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to scristanti For This Useful Post:
asmom (02-27-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scristanti View Post
. I am new at this and hope I am doing this right, I was so happy to find you again, I read one of your post when I was trying to get as much information on Gurney as I could and what you wrote was so moving, brought me to tears of how it is when someone first gets in the system, my son will be there three weeks this Thursday, first time offender but was in county jail 17 months we could not afford bail, I could not remember your name but wrote it down now, my mind is getting bad with my age. Was so happy to see what you wrote here because I cannot afford an attorney and my daughter and I are going to have to do the parole packet ourselves. I have tried and tried to find out exactly what we need to put in this packet I called Gurney and they said he could not do anything for 32 days from Jan. 13, not talk to us, not have commissary that his processing would take that long so we were counting on having those 32 days to get his packet together, but I got a letter from him today saying he is finished with sociology last thing to do which I don't know what that means and he hoped we had his parole packet ready that another young man in there told him his family had done his and sent him copies, now I am panicking that we don't even know exactly what to put in there, I have letters from people that know him well and for years and pictures of our family and I was going to write a letter also, I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer which I did not tell him till he was about to leave did not want him worrying about me where he was but knew I had to tell him before he left and now we are debating to use it so they will send him closer to us but heard the prisons near Dallas were not good, reading things on here can be scary sometimes, he mentioned Hutchins I think, was hoping he could get into a faith based prison there is Prison fellowship that is go awesome. He is in for controlled substance, he got addicted to his ADD medicine, has been ADD since he was twelve but like he said he just made bad choices and he looks at it now as God saved his life, he fell for awhile but has picked himself back up, God does everything for a reason he says. Everyone at county said he should get a turnaround which we did not know what that was but talking to others there visiting their family member that had been through this said it was basically going through the process at gurney seeing he has been in jail 17 months, excellent behavior, and even the guards there said he should be released right away I just can't believe so many people would be wrong I got to know these families so well when we visited my son every visiting day, and his lawyer also saying he' ll get timed serve with good behavior, so sorry I go on and on I'm just glad to let it all out , I pray so hard and we have been blessed in so many ways, I tell my son be humble God loves humility and know God is always with him, he knows that at county I told him always smile you may touch someone's life, someone who just may have needed that smile and kindness, to look for the reelection of God in everyone you meet and being his first time ever in jail and for that long it got him through it, he keeps telling me he's ok, gurney is better then county they can move around and do things and he said it was awesome to see so many inmates at church singing like they did, he loved that part. I still could not get a lot of information on Gurney and so much of it was old, I've never written on here and I hope I didn't say to much , but everyone here seems to be such good people I pray for for the many that their hearts are breaking as mine is, I feel so happy for those that are released, answered prayers. It just hurts so bad when it's your child, you are an inspiration to everyone here, God uses you that's what I tell my son when he tries to help someone, you are his angel on earth to many here there are no coincidences, coincidences are Gods way of remaining anonymous. I got on here and was so mad I could not remember your name then there it is in the subject I was looking for, I had just asked God to please not make it be to late to send in a packet and please help me find some information on what to send, finally my main question can you or I guess anyone who reads this tell me what is best to send the parole and my son gave us an address also, do we just say its for him and his # my daughter said we will send it overnight so they can get it right away, I'm afraid that if he's finished with processing the parole process will start. Does his good behavior for the 17 months he was at county count, I hope it does. Again I'm sorry so long, so many questions but just telling us what we will need in packet and what you know about being sent home right away what they called a turnaround the other inmates and guards told him about. Keep writing all you write, remember its God using you, and to all here your in my prayers always, now after all this I hope I did this right, God bless you and your family, how blessed they are you are home . Thank you
Scristanti, hello and welcome to PTO. I know Marty will come along soon and give you some of his fine information and inspiration, but meantime I will tell you that I just sent my sons parole packet in and put in letters from his minister, sister, Grandmother, and of course myself. The letters were fairly short just getting to the point of identifying yourself and your relation to him and his plans for the future and how you will give him support, any job offers, where he will live, make the letters short, as the parole board does not spend much time on them, put in pictures of where he will live, his family, any you have of him with his family. I made 3 copies, I sent one to my son, one to Austin, one to the parole board in his district. Do not put it in any plastic covers or binders, just leave it loose and mail in a large manilla folder. I did put a cover page with his TDCJ # and a picture of him. Hope this helps you get started. God Bless
Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Super Mod

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,818 Times in 3,099 Posts

scriscanti,

Please be sure to look at the Stickys at the top of the TX Parole Preparation Forum (click the blue underlined words). There are great examples and lots of advice! The packet is trying to offer the "good stuff" about the inmate that the parole board won't otherwise know. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 01-30-2012, 11:51 PM

Well this is my husband 2nd bid.this time they gave him 32yrs.Me I wanted to get a parole lawyer he said no I was like wth he said they are just a waist of money I told him did u forget you in texas.Well him and some more guys put together a parole packet.so after doing 6 years he will be home in april.SO u haft to do what is right for u .i wish everyone the best.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 AM

Default Son's parole

Quote:
Originally Posted by montysmom View Post
Scristanti, hello and welcome to PTO. I know Marty will come along soon and give you some of his fine information and inspiration, but meantime I will tell you that I just sent my sons parole packet in and put in letters from his minister, sister, Grandmother, and of course myself. The letters were fairly short just getting to the point of identifying yourself and your relation to him and his plans for the future and how you will give him support, any job offers, where he will live, make the letters short, as the parole board does not spend much time on them, put in pictures of where he will live, his family, any you have of him with his family. I made 3 copies, I sent one to my son, one to Austin, one to the parole board in his district. Do not put it in any plastic covers or binders, just leave it loose and mail in a large manilla folder. I did put a cover page with his TDCJ # and a picture of him. Hope this helps you get started. God Bless
Thank you so much for responding, so grateful for good information, I'm trying to write letter now but so hard to make it short, but I will. I'll pray for your son, God bless you, just believe in miracles. Sounds like your son is in good hands.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:38 AM

Default Sons parole

Well I tried to reply to Renee's reply to me but said I couldn't something about URL after 25 post, so I'll try this way, I was able to reply to one but not the other two reply , thank you both for responding and Renee I am so happy for loved one coming home, your prayers were answered, God bless all three who responded now I hope this post.
The Following User Says Thank You to scristanti For This Useful Post:
Renee (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Scristanti, I see I told you to mail it in a manilla folder I meant manilla envelope. Sorry