Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jails > Arizona State Prison Complex - Yuma
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Arizona State Prison Complex - Yuma Topics and discussion specific to ASPC - Yuma in San Luis, Arizona.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 AM
kruss kruss is offline
BB's Baby
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 44
Thanks: 10
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default Cibola visitation CLOSED until further notice

FYI, to anyone planning to visit Cibola today - a special notice is on the AZ DOC site stating: "December 17, 2011 Special Notice: Until further notice, visitation at Cibola Unit is closed."

My boyfriend is in Cibola and we were planning to visit this weekend. Anyone know what's going on over there? I talked to a friend who's husband has been at Yuma for 2 years and she said she's never seen this happen before. Help!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-17-2011, 09:19 AM
decoprincess's Avatar
decoprincess decoprincess is offline
Love over Fear
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CaliZona
Posts: 1,763
Thanks: 639
Thanked 1,252 Times in 754 Posts
Default

This is not good. I called down there and tried to get info asking what can you tell me. Officer was nice, but couldn't say.
My husband is at Cheyenne and will be calling at 3rd rec (or not), perhaps they heard.

I just got off phone with wife of another in Cibola. She is actually there, drove to prison and turned away (came from New Mexico). They told her maybe tomorrow.
__________________
This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
--Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)--
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-17-2011, 09:54 AM
lost4da1time lost4da1time is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 167
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

My loved one just called and all he said was that something happened last night and visitation was cancelled for the rest of the weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 AM
kruss kruss is offline
BB's Baby
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 44
Thanks: 10
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost4da1time
My loved one just called and all he said was that something happened last night and visitation was cancelled for the rest of the weekend.
Thank you. Is your LO in cibola or a different unit? Didnt know if they'd be able to use the phones.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:13 AM
decoprincess's Avatar
decoprincess decoprincess is offline
Love over Fear
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CaliZona
Posts: 1,763
Thanks: 639
Thanked 1,252 Times in 754 Posts
Default

This is what I got from a wife, while on the phone with her husband last night, he suddenly said I gotta go, somethings happening and hung up.
__________________
This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
--Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)--
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:20 AM
kruss kruss is offline
BB's Baby
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 44
Thanks: 10
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Any word what races were involved? CO or inmate(s) involved?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:23 AM
decoprincess's Avatar
decoprincess decoprincess is offline
Love over Fear
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CaliZona
Posts: 1,763
Thanks: 639
Thanked 1,252 Times in 754 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruss View Post
Any word what races were involved? CO or inmate(s) involved?
I'm concerned with rumors, and I have nothing to confirm, but the women who spoke with her husband thought it was a CO involved.
__________________
This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
--Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)--
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 AM
lost4da1time lost4da1time is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 167
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruss

Thank you. Is your LO in cibola or a different unit? Didnt know if they'd be able to use the phones.
He is cibola unit. They were allowed to call very quickly to advise there was no visitation...I was already on my way.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-17-2011, 05:02 PM
kaisal kaisal is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruss
FYI, to anyone planning to visit Cibola today - a special notice is on the AZ DOC site stating: "December 17, 2011 Special Notice: Until further notice, visitation at Cibola Unit is closed."

My boyfriend is in Cibola and we were planning to visit this weekend. Anyone know what's going on over there? I talked to a friend who's husband has been at Yuma for 2 years and she said she's never seen this happen before. Help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost4da1time

He is cibola unit. They were allowed to call very quickly to advise there was no visitation...I was already on my way.
I have a friend in the cibola unit he called his mom today and could only talk real quick they haven't been able to make calls all week from what he told her there were two things that happened This week one on sunday and something yesterday I know there was one death due to what happen sunday i have no clue what happened yesterday but there's no visitation this weekend and it doesn't seem they can use the phones. :/ it sucks not knowing and not being able to talk to him. If anyone hears anything let me know
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-17-2011, 09:44 PM
becky616 becky616 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: arizona us
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default cibola closed

they have closed cibola another inmate got murdered last night...2nd one in a week..Wonder where the gaurds were this time>?

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoprincess View Post
This is not good. I called down there and tried to get info asking what can you tell me. Officer was nice, but couldn't say.
My husband is at Cheyenne and will be calling at 3rd rec (or not), perhaps they heard.

I just got off phone with wife of another in Cibola. She is actually there, drove to prison and turned away (came from New Mexico). They told her maybe tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-17-2011, 09:46 PM
becky616 becky616 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: arizona us
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cibola closed

Cibola is closed due to another inmate being mrdered last night...2nd one in a week...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-17-2011, 09:55 PM
kaisal kaisal is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wow really... :/ who knows where they were they didn't seem to be around for the first one it's just sad.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:13 PM
lost4da1time lost4da1time is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 167
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Sigh.....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:14 PM
becky616 becky616 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: arizona us
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default nope

the first one happened on the yard during rec and they found him when everyone went in.... the one last night happened where they use the phones to call so sad.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisal View Post
Wow really... :/ who knows where they were they didn't seem to be around for the first one it's just sad.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:15 PM
lost4da1time lost4da1time is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 167
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky616
the first one happened on the yard during rec and they found him when everyone went in.... the one last night happened where they use the phones to call so sad.....
That's horrible.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 PM
kaisal kaisal is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Omg are you serious? That's awful makes me do nervous bc he calls me and his mom so hes on the phone every night I can't believe this . Do you have a loved one in this unit ?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Paulie'sGirl Paulie'sGirl is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,889
Thanks: 61
Thanked 838 Times in 539 Posts
Default

Ok, I am been on PTO for a long time...and I have been there when the major riot happened in Kingman (over 120 guys). I am stepping in to put a major stop on the rumors at Cibola!!

Yes, things happen in prison, that we, on the outside do not understand, but these rumors of murder HAVE to stop!!


There are deaths that occurs, fights and riots that happen inside. Something HAS obviously happened in Cibola, but everyone who is posting, YOU are posing HERESAYS at this point.


If you were IN visitation and turned away, YOU have something to say. IF your loved one has called and said that something happened, YOU have something to say!! But to start these rumors of murder on PTO is completely out of line!
__________________


Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie'sGirl For This Useful Post:
sallyanne (12-22-2011)
  #18  
Old 12-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Paulie'sGirl Paulie'sGirl is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,889
Thanks: 61
Thanked 838 Times in 539 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky616 View Post
the first one happened on the yard during rec and they found him when everyone went in.... the one last night happened where they use the phones to call so sad.....
Becky616, nothing personal, but you started posting YESTERDAY about Cibola. You have had 6 postings total on PTO, starting yesterday. Rumors, like this, spread like wildfire. Please allow some of us long time PTOer's to just ask, without prejudice, where did you hear this!?

I am certain something bad happened in Cibola. There are visitors that have been turned away and loved ones that have called home.

Back in May 2010, there was a major riot that happened in Kingman, and PTOer's were 'on top of it' posting what they knew and what they had learned over the day. My concern with this Cibola incident, is that there ARE very few calls coming out of the yard, it is LOCKED down, but in the last 2 years, I realize, lock downs occur all too regularly.

I remember just recently, being IN visitation, and being LOCKED in, with the search squad and dogs searching the yard, looking for contraband. It was serious, but I DID NOT go and start posting rumors on PTO!! It happens all too regularly!!

I am just stating, we need to quell the rumors, wait till we hear what really happened.

Please....
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-18-2011, 09:06 AM
nessta nessta is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: yuma,az
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My fiance is on cibola.......... im really scared about all this. i went yesterday to visit and was sent away. i called the sargent of the unit and he said they could not release info till today however i havnt been able to get through. I told him my fiances adc number and he said it was "in good standing" so im hoping that means hes ok. I would just like for one person to hear from a loved one in cibola. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-18-2011, 09:29 AM
lost4da1time lost4da1time is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 167
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie'sGirl

Becky616, nothing personal, but you started posting YESTERDAY about Cibola. You have had 6 postings total on PTO, starting yesterday. Rumors, like this, spread like wildfire. Please allow some of us long time PTOer's to just ask, without prejudice, where did you hear this!?

I am certain something bad happened in Cibola. There are visitors that have been turned away and loved ones that have called home.

Back in May 2010, there was a major riot that happened in Kingman, and PTOer's were 'on top of it' posting what they knew and what they had learned over the day. My concern with this Cibola incident, is that there ARE very few calls coming out of the yard, it is LOCKED down, but in the last 2 years, I realize, lock downs occur all too regularly.

I remember just recently, being IN visitation, and being LOCKED in, with the search squad and dogs searching the yard, looking for contraband. It was serious, but I DID NOT go and start posting rumors on PTO!! It happens all too regularly!!

I am just stating, we need to quell the rumors, wait till we hear what really happened.

Please....
Thanks for posting that...I noticed that becky616 just created the acct yesterday. Like I said my bf called on Thursday and no mention of anything happening besides the phones being down most of last week for one reason or another. Yesterday when he called he only said something happen Friday night and visitation was cancelled. Obviously something happened, but he wasn't able to tell me why.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 AM
kaisal kaisal is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Im not sure where Becky gets her information and I'm not sure what happen the second time but yeah something did happen but if you look it up the first one is sad and my heart goes out to his family. We all have people we care about in there I really dont see a point turning it into drama. All I hope is things get worked out so I can talk to him again and be able to go visit him.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Paulie'sGirl Paulie'sGirl is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,889
Thanks: 61
Thanked 838 Times in 539 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessta View Post
My fiance is on cibola.......... im really scared about all this. i went yesterday to visit and was sent away. i called the sargent of the unit and he said they could not release info till today however i havnt been able to get through. I told him my fiances adc number and he said it was "in good standing" so im hoping that means hes ok. I would just like for one person to hear from a loved one in cibola. Thanks so much
Nessta, Thank you for sharing. If your fiance is "in good standing" you have nothing to be scared about. He is ok!!

Something obviously happened in Cibola. And we may never really know what/why. In times like this, we need to remember, this IS prison and it is NOT a safe environment for our loved ones. For the last (almost) 2 years I have had a knot in my stomach every day and I thank God everyday that we are one day closer to my Paulie coming home and that he IS safe and has survived one more day in this hell hole of the DOC.

If you hear anything from your fiance, please feel free to share with us and so many PTOer's are worried about their loved ones, as well.

((hugs))

PG
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-18-2011, 11:48 AM
rollngrock40 rollngrock40 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost4da1time View Post
Thanks for posting that...I noticed that becky616 just created the acct yesterday. Like I said my bf called on Thursday and no mention of anything happening besides the phones being down most of last week for one reason or another. Yesterday when he called he only said something happen Friday night and visitation was cancelled. Obviously something happened, but he wasn't able to tell me why.

By Ainslee S. Wittig/Arizona Range News

Published: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:07 PM CST
Eddie Martinez, of Willcox, turned 51 on Dec. 12, but there was no joyous occasion. Instead, his family was waiting for six doctors to determine his fate after he was nearly beaten to death the day before in Yuma.

Martinez was declared brain dead at St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix and will likely have his life support turned off Thursday, said his sister, Tina Hidalgo, also of Willcox.

The tragedy is compounded by the fact that this could have been prevented.

Martinez was in prison for repetitive offenses of fraudulent schemes and theft. He was incarcerated on June 29, 2009 and has been moved five times. When he was transferred to Phoenix unit SMU 1, he was severely beaten by other inmates about four months ago, she said.

"His jaw was broken. They kept it wired shut four weeks longer than they needed to and his pain medications were being stolen. He lost 35 pounds, and had just started working out again. He was a body builder," she said.

He was moved after that incident to the Arizona State Prison Complex Yuma's Cibola Unit in San Luis.

"He had just written a letter to my mother (Helen Martinez of Willcox) saying that the inmates who had beaten him up were transferred to his unit. He did not say their names," Hidalgo said. "This time they killed him. We don't know how long he had been laying there before anyone found him."

"We want to know who is going to be held accountable for what happened to my brother."

Hidalgo said her mother had not been able to get any information from the prison.

"They called her after he was taken to St. Joseph's, but did not give her clearance to come see him until he was determined to be brain dead," she said.

When reached Tuesday morning, Bill Lamoreaux of the Arizona State Prison Central Media Office, said Martinez was discovered at just after 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 11, "with injuries consistent with an assault."

"He remains hospitalized (as of Tuesday), and a criminal investigation is ongoing by the ADC (Arizona Department of Correcitions)," Lamoreaux said.

"I can't give you any more information at thei time,a sthe investigation is ongoing."


Friday, December 16, 2011


Eddie Martinez was

beaten unconscious at ASPC YUMA on December 11, and placed on life support. The death announcement below was posted by the Arizona Department of Corrections late today. Condolences to Eddie's family. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to organize with other families to prevent this kind of thing from happening again, or if you need support fighting the state in court. Do what you need to do to grieve, but know that you don't have to go through it alone.


Prayers to the families. This is public.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rollngrock40 For This Useful Post:
sallyanne (12-22-2011)
  #24  
Old 12-18-2011, 05:38 PM
lost4da1time lost4da1time is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 167
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollngrock40

By Ainslee S. Wittig/Arizona Range News

Published: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:07 PM CST
Eddie Martinez, of Willcox, turned 51 on Dec. 12, but there was no joyous occasion. Instead, his family was waiting for six doctors to determine his fate after he was nearly beaten to death the day before in Yuma.

Martinez was declared brain dead at St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix and will likely have his life support turned off Thursday, said his sister, Tina Hidalgo, also of Willcox.

The tragedy is compounded by the fact that this could have been prevented.

Martinez was in prison for repetitive offenses of fraudulent schemes and theft. He was incarcerated on June 29, 2009 and has been moved five times. When he was transferred to Phoenix unit SMU 1, he was severely beaten by other inmates about four months ago, she said.

"His jaw was broken. They kept it wired shut four weeks longer than they needed to and his pain medications were being stolen. He lost 35 pounds, and had just started working out again. He was a body builder," she said.

He was moved after that incident to the Arizona State Prison Complex Yuma's Cibola Unit in San Luis.

"He had just written a letter to my mother (Helen Martinez of Willcox) saying that the inmates who had beaten him up were transferred to his unit. He did not say their names," Hidalgo said. "This time they killed him. We don't know how long he had been laying there before anyone found him."

"We want to know who is going to be held accountable for what happened to my brother."

Hidalgo said her mother had not been able to get any information from the prison.

"They called her after he was taken to St. Joseph's, but did not give her clearance to come see him until he was determined to be brain dead," she said.

When reached Tuesday morning, Bill Lamoreaux of the Arizona State Prison Central Media Office, said Martinez was discovered at just after 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 11, "with injuries consistent with an assault."

"He remains hospitalized (as of Tuesday), and a criminal investigation is ongoing by the ADC (Arizona Department of Correcitions)," Lamoreaux said.

"I can't give you any more information at thei time,a sthe investigation is ongoing."

Friday, December 16, 2011

Eddie Martinez was

beaten unconscious at ASPC YUMA on December 11, and placed on life support. The death announcement below was posted by the Arizona Department of Corrections late today. Condolences to Eddie's family. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to organize with other families to prevent this kind of thing from happening again, or if you need support fighting the state in court. Do what you need to do to grieve, but know that you don't have to go through it alone.

Prayers to the families. This is public.
Thank you for providing that info.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM
lost4da1time lost4da1time is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 167
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

This waiting to find out what is going on sure sucks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cibola, closed, visitation, yuma

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2013 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics