Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Default Success stories?

I don't know much about addiction, and all I have learned I have learned in the last couple years with my bf. I have never known anyone else who had an addiction before. I am trying to educate myself as much as possible for when he comes home. I know he has to want it for himself, and I truly believe he does which is why I stand by him and will do anything I can to help myself and him. I would love to hear some success stories to help get thru some of the tougher days. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2011, 10:20 PM

yes please I would also like to hear some success stories! I am tried of hearing "yeah well he has God and AA, NA now but just you wait til he gets out" the negativity is sucking the life out of me and I do not dare tell him no one believes him, but then again who cares because I DO !!!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:32 PM
English Super Moderator

PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,562 Times in 6,757 Posts

I have moved your thread here because we do have some members with very heart warming success stories

Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells4Kev View Post
I don't know much about addiction, and all I have learned I have learned in the last couple years with my bf. I have never known anyone else who had an addiction before. I am trying to educate myself as much as possible for when he comes home. I know he has to want it for himself, and I truly believe he does which is why I stand by him and will do anything I can to help myself and him. I would love to hear some success stories to help get thru some of the tougher days. Thanks
I'm in the same exact place. Great post!!! Now bring on the success stories

Last edited by IS2012OURS; 10-11-2011 at 06:56 PM..
Old 10-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,204 Posts

Ok, I don't think I've ever posted my story, but I guess this is a good time, I guess it can be construed as a sucess story..

I am an addict... Meth is my drug of choice (my hubby's as well).

I was a functioning addict for many years... I uld go to school, work, pay rent, etc. and still get high on a daily basis. For about 8 years the longest piece of sober time I had was the 10 months of "dry" time that I had while pregnant with my little one. Things drastically changed for me in January of 2008... I had a run in with DCFS and they threatened to take my then 2year old from my custody. I started doing out-patient classes in an atempt to get them off my back, and passed drug test ofter drug test (not legitimately of course). In August of the same year I was arrested for possession and spent almost two weeks in jail. At the time, my hubby was out of prison and took care of the little one. The day I was released from jail I went home and wasn't home for 30min before DCFS showed up at my door.

They took my son from me that day and I don't even know how I made it through that day. 5 days later my hubby went back in (he does that a lot) and a week later I was served an eviction on my house. In a matter of a week I lost everything that mattered to me.

I went a little nutty for a while there & ran the streets... but eventually I called the social worker & asked her what I had to do. She set up an appointment for me to get into a residential program.

In late September of 2008 I entered rehab. In March of 09 they gave me my baby back. I stayed in that program with my baby for 20 months.

Today I rent a room and go to school full time. I am a medical assistant, a phlebotomist, and most importantly I am a mother to my son.

I used to hate the social worker that took my son, but today I understand that she saved my life. Rehab wasn't easy... I really hated being there for a long time, but I am very grateful for them now. I have wonderful in-laws & a couple of my own family who supported me when nobody else would. I am blessed to have had people in my corner that believed in me when nobody else would.

My sobriety date is September 23, 2008... a little over 3 years ago...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to D4C For This Useful Post:
charok1 (03-22-2014), ek2011 (05-18-2012), IS2012OURS (11-28-2011), LifeTraveler (10-16-2011), mithuthecat (10-17-2011), Mz.MM (04-16-2014), tialooey (03-24-2014)
Old 10-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,176 Times in 6,849 Posts

Down4Crow, kudos to YOU, Lady!! You did it! You really did it! That is so awesome! Keep on keeping on! You're doing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
D4C (10-16-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Donation Award 

Default that's a beautiful success story

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4C View Post
I used to hate the social worker that took my son, but today I understand that she saved my life. Rehab wasn't easy... I really hated being there for a long time, but I am very grateful for them now. I have wonderful in-laws & a couple of my own family who supported me when nobody else would. I am blessed to have had people in my corner that believed in me when nobody else would.
So happy for you and your son.

got my toes in the sand and a drink (water) in my hand
The Following User Says Thank You to Survivor Cat For This Useful Post:
D4C (11-21-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Donation Award 

Default yeah Kelann, I hear ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelann View Post
yes please I would also like to hear some success stories! I am tried of hearing "yeah well he has God and AA, NA now but just you wait til he gets out" the negativity is sucking the life out of me and I do not dare tell him no one believes him, but then again who cares because I DO !!!!!
Bring on the success stories! I guess I have one -- in 1994 I had a big birthday party at my house, everyone was there, we made pitchers of margueritas, drank a TON, we laughed, had a ball, and nothing bad happened, UNTIL the next morning! OMG the hangover from hell. I thought I was gonna die. I was sick for two days! I said to myself, I will never do that again! Guess what? I didn't. My head is clear now -- and I don't kill my brain cells with alcohol. That was 17 years ago.

got my toes in the sand and a drink (water) in my hand
The Following User Says Thank You to Survivor Cat For This Useful Post:
IS2012OURS (11-28-2011)
Old 12-23-2012, 08:48 AM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to share my success story in case it helps anyone else.

I'm 24 years old and was highly addicted to heroin. I started in high school with the pills and eventually started sniffing dope and then shooting it. I had a boyfriend at the time who would basically do everything in his power to make sure I kept using along with him. I was young..about 16 when I started it all. I was able to quit for a little bit before the addiction tore me to shreds. I relapsed when I was 19 and went head first into my addiction. My tolerance rose as did the amount I used each day. I couldn't keep a job, I wasn't living at home with my family and I couldn't stay in college so I dropped out. Every day was the same routine and all I cared about what the needle and my high. Finally it got to a point where I was so desperate for change. I was back with that same using boyfriend and it was not a good relationship even when drugs weren't involved. I think the drug helped me forget it all and numb my emotional pain. I decided to get help and change my life. 3 years ago I found a program to go to and I have been clean ever since. I still to this day go to the meetings there and on the outside. It definitely has not been easy to stay sober and trust me I've had a lot of crap go down that makes me want to relapse for a split second but then I remember the girl that I was. I'm not proud of my past at all. I let a lot of valuable time go down the tubes. But I don't dwell on it. I take each and every day as it comes and I utilize every support tool I need to stay sober. I no longer have to wake up every morning feeling sick and wondering about my next fix. Now I get up nice and early, shower and drive to work in my new car that I bought. I've been at the same job for a year and a half and before that I was at a job for 2 years. I recognize that I have to work at my recovery every day but I rarely have cravings now. It gets so much easier as time goes on. It helps to have the support of family and friends also. My boyfriend is extremely understanding too. I currently have a younger brother who is also struggling with an addiction and its sometimes very difficult to see what he's going through. Unfortunately, he will not get clean unless he truly wants it for himself. I had to learn the same lesson. I can only hope in the near future he can turn that corner into recovery.
My life will forever be changed by the decisions I made when I was younger. Sometimes I have a hard time remembering things and I know it's because of my drug use. If you wanna play you have to pay, and that's true for all drugs I'm sure. I would rather have some memory issues occasionally rather than still be out running the streets every day looking for the next fix. I am so happy of where I am now and where I will be going. I really do feel like that chapter in my life is over. My thoughts are now on remaining sober through triggering times. I have accomplished so much more than I ever expected in the last few years since I have been clean, and I am excited to continue doing that. This upcoming February 14th is my 3 year clean date.
My best advice to anyone is to take things one day at a time or even one hour at a time. Look into your heart and soul and find out why you're using, and work on yourself. Remind yourself of the person you don't want to be and the things you're missing out on because of your addiction. I hope that everyone who is struggling finds strength to get sober and to all the families with loved ones who are using, I pray for their sobriety also.
It's never easy but it is so worth it.
Thanks for reading if anyone ever has any questions, feel free to PM me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IfIAintGotU For This Useful Post:
4ever love (12-23-2012), bumblebee37 (11-27-2013), charok1 (03-22-2014), Mz.MM (04-16-2014), OfficeGirl (01-15-2014), OnlyInTexas (01-15-2014)
Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 AM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,975 Times in 1,392 Posts

Your post brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my face. I am so very happy for you and I truly wish you the very best in this life. I hope that you will keep a clear focus on your recovery. Thank you for sharing your story.

PTO Quarterly Winter Edition
Follow the Link to the newest Edition!

The Following User Says Thank You to nevaeh2morrow For This Useful Post:
IfIAintGotU (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 2,008 Times in 862 Posts

I have one too! I got a knock on the door today and when I opened it, it was my brother! The years of drug abuse are visable on his face, but he looked so good to me. He stood there and hugged me and we were both crying and crying.

He's doing ok and has been clean off the drugs for 3 years now. He missed his family and needed to see his sis. His friend drove him all the way here and I'm so thankful.

It's definitely a Christmas miracle. He made it! He's alive and surviving one day at a time. I have all his contacts now and we've reconnected! So stoked!

Last edited by 4ever love; 12-23-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 PM

Default Thanks for the Hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIAintGotU View Post
I know this thread is old but I just wanted to share my success story in case it helps anyone else.

I'm 24 years old and was highly addicted to heroin. I started in high school with the pills and eventually started sniffing dope and then shooting it. I had a boyfriend at the time who would basically do everything in his power to make sure I kept using along with him. I was young..about 16 when I started it all. I was able to quit for a little bit before the addiction tore me to shreds. I relapsed when I was 19 and went head first into my addiction. My tolerance rose as did the amount I used each day. I couldn't keep a job, I wasn't living at home with my family and I couldn't stay in college so I dropped out. Every day was the same routine and all I cared about what the needle and my high. Finally it got to a point where I was so desperate for change. I was back with that same using boyfriend and it was not a good relationship even when drugs weren't involved. I think the drug helped me forget it all and numb my emotional pain. I decided to get help and change my life. 3 years ago I found a program to go to and I have been clean ever since. I still to this day go to the meetings there and on the outside. It definitely has not been easy to stay sober and trust me I've had a lot of crap go down that makes me want to relapse for a split second but then I remember the girl that I was. I'm not proud of my past at all. I let a lot of valuable time go down the tubes. But I don't dwell on it. I take each and every day as it comes and I utilize every support tool I need to stay sober. I no longer have to wake up every morning feeling sick and wondering about my next fix. Now I get up nice and early, shower and drive to work in my new car that I bought. I've been at the same job for a year and a half and before that I was at a job for 2 years. I recognize that I have to work at my recovery every day but I rarely have cravings now. It gets so much easier as time goes on. It helps to have the support of family and friends also. My boyfriend is extremely understanding too. I currently have a younger brother who is also struggling with an addiction and its sometimes very difficult to see what he's going through. Unfortunately, he will not get clean unless he truly wants it for himself. I had to learn the same lesson. I can only hope in the near future he can turn that corner into recovery.
My life will forever be changed by the decisions I made when I was younger. Sometimes I have a hard time remembering things and I know it's because of my drug use. If you wanna play you have to pay, and that's true for all drugs I'm sure. I would rather have some memory issues occasionally rather than still be out running the streets every day looking for the next fix. I am so happy of where I am now and where I will be going. I really do feel like that chapter in my life is over. My thoughts are now on remaining sober through triggering times. I have accomplished so much more than I ever expected in the last few years since I have been clean, and I am excited to continue doing that. This upcoming February 14th is my 3 year clean date.
My best advice to anyone is to take things one day at a time or even one hour at a time. Look into your heart and soul and find out why you're using, and work on yourself. Remind yourself of the person you don't want to be and the things you're missing out on because of your addiction. I hope that everyone who is struggling finds strength to get sober and to all the families with loved ones who are using, I pray for their sobriety also.
It's never easy but it is so worth it.
Thanks for reading if anyone ever has any questions, feel free to PM me.
Thank you for your story. You are one of the few heroin success stories I have heard. My son is just about your age and is also a heroin addict. I always worry that I will get a call that he is no longer with me. In other words, dead. I had a very good friend lose her son to a heroin overdose. Anytime I searched whether or not anyone could beat that drug, I could find none. I hope you are doing well and stay clean for the rest of your life! You have given me hope for my son's future.
The Following User Says Thank You to OfficeGirl For This Useful Post:
charok1 (03-22-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:33 PM

i have been clean off speed/meth since day before thanksgivining 2010 ( i believe 11-24-10) .been doing it off and on since 97. only by grace of god i never got busted..had friends around me that did( from possesion to manufact.) i still managed to get to work.guess it was a combination of just after 10+ years so over it, wasn't worth the $, or the aggravation..just had enough. however damage already done, i apparently aged much more than my years. i had a full upper denture plate and a partial lower all by time i turned 31 years old/(and this has been several years ago too LOL)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charok1 For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (03-25-2014), Lordbew/us (03-25-2014), Mz.MM (04-16-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 05:50 AM
English Super Moderator

PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,562 Times in 6,757 Posts

Congratulations on your success at staying clean. I know it must be a struggle to shut the door on meth.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisainengland For This Useful Post:
charok1 (03-25-2014), Lordbew/us (03-25-2014)