Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 04-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Mom & Wifey to the Greg's

Question Are there Notary services in prison?

Hello all,
Well I just got my sons birth ceritificate and there is a blank for father so the administration office told me since I am not married his father would have to sign a declaration of paternity and she said after a year it cost money to change it so in order for the declaration to be valid it has to be notarized she said I should go up to the prison but since he is 8 hours away that isnt possible with a 3 month old. Does anyone know if there are notary services in prison, and how we go about getting the declaration signed? He is at Sierra Conservation Center Jamestown if that helps,

SOON OUR FAMILY WILL BE A COMPLETE FAMILY!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2004, 05:06 PM

The counselor can/does serve as a notary.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Mom & Wifey to the Greg's

Thank you so much

SOON OUR FAMILY WILL BE A COMPLETE FAMILY!!!
Old 04-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Account Closed

Actually My husband is at Sierra Conservation. The counselor does not do the notary. They only schedule the appointment. But it takes FOREVER. There is only one guy for the whole prison. He visits each yard once evey 2 weeks. Back in december I was in the process of buying a house and I sent the forms in overnight. Spoke to the mail lady and explained to her everything. Well 7 days later he got the forms. To make a long story short after many phone calls and a flight out to sacramento from Vegas ( just to pick up the forms) I FINALLY got them signed 1 Month later. If you have a chance to talk to him tell him to sign up ASAP while you send the papers in. I'm currently watining for his Power of Attorney and I sent those in 2 weeks ago and still hasn't been able to sign up.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:15 PM

At Pelican Bay someone comes in to do the notary service. It is not the counselor. They have to put in a request for the notary to come. My guy needed one and it took three requests before he got a response back but the notary eventually did show up.
Lee
Old 04-21-2004, 11:45 PM

Default notery

Yes, it takes the inmate making a request to get something noterized. It can take up to a month so be patient.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Account Closed

Default Notary

In most of the facilities now the Correctional Counselor II is the designated Notary Republic. Sadly, for some reason few of them seem to want to perform that function despite the Department mandating that they do so. I believe they charge a five (5) dollar fee for that service unless the inmate is declared "Indigent" with no funds posted to their Inmate Trust Account.

CDC really should explore the use of a designated "Commissioner of Deeds" which some states utilize in lieu of a Notary Rebulic. A "Commissioner of Deeds" can attest to the valid signatory of any legal document just like a Notary Repbulic with the one exception of attesting to the transferrence of large funds. A Notary would still be required for that limited function.

A Notary Republic must attend training and that is where the department has had issue. It costs them money to send staff through that process and since so many inmates are "Indigent" the department "claims" it actually looses money. They may or may not be right in that assertion. However, the need is still there and a "Commissioner of Deeds" title can easily granted with no expense or indepth training involved.

Last edited by brenda12; 04-22-2004 at 05:56 PM..
Old 10-10-2007, 06:00 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

Thanked 2,163 Times in 860 Posts

I just received a letter from my son who is at Mule Creek in California:

The notary is an outside contractor and not an "essential service".
There is no "indigent" services on the notary - no pay - no service.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

It might be different at each prison. My friend who is in fire camp needed something notarized and they told him if he does it at the camp it would cost between $60 and $80. Yea I thought that was a little out there (he had asked me for the money), so I called the camp to find out if he was trying to pull something or me or not. The CO told me that yes that is what it would cost to get a notary out there. But the CO also told me he could go back to CCC, Susanville for a week and get it done for free and that is what he did. So I know that at CCC if they are indigent they can get the service.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Here we go again...
Donation Award 

My fiance and I have been trying to get his Affidavit of Paternity notarized for a couple of years. Something always gets in the way. Only one facilty he's been at had the notary service for indigent inmates(Lancaster), but trying to get anything done there was a joke. Mule Creek and SVSP require that you have $10.00 on your books and trying to get an appt. with a notary has been an even bigger joke. Our daughter is about to turn four and still we wait to get his name on her birth certificate. He's home in 18 months, so we'll probably just wait and do it ourselves then.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:46 PM

Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,467 Posts

I've been retained to bring a notary into prison and the State Hospital as part of a professional visit. It's an expensive way to go about it (around $700 is a deal), but it is fast.