Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 10-22-2002, 03:40 PM

Default Rahway Prison, NJ

Does anyone have any loved ones in Rahway ? My husband was recently transferred there from Trenton State and I havent been able to visit yet.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:27 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

I know lots about Rahway--visited there for several months. I also have a good friend who is up there almost weekly. So, what do you want to know???? I will tell you it's nothing like Trenton [I visited there for almost 6 months back in 1999-2000 and still visit a friend there occassionally] or any other NJ prison for that matter.
Post or PM me w/your questions, etc....

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 10-23-2002, 03:40 AM

Thanks for the response. I haven't been to visit yet because I've heard such negative things about the visiting process there. Do they have contact visits , in enclosed are, etc.? Are they allowed unscheduled visits?
He doesnt want me to come there because he's so close to parole (we hope). But I really miss himjavascript:smilie('')
frown
Old 10-23-2002, 07:58 AM

Hi Jersey neighbor
My guy is in NY though, so I can't really offer any info as far as that goes. It is still contact visits though...
Old 10-23-2002, 04:49 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

Yes, they have contact visits--oh, boy, do they have CONTACT!!! [I'll explain in a minute]. In the late Spring and summer they are outside [seen as a perk] but now they are inside due to weather. The registration process is pretty awful--you need to get there early so you can get into line for registration. Visits last 2 hours so if you are late you have less time. Large groups are brought in to the visiting area in intervals of about 10-15 minutes.

There are unscheduled visits but they are window visits only--you will have to call the prison to find out about the rules r/t to window visits.

Ok, about contact....let me put it this way....there have been "many a baby" conceived in the visiting hall at Rahway--this prison is infamous for the amount and "intensity" of contact that is allowed--it is a pretty incredible sight to see all these couples in various stages of sexual contact. There are all these rituals that the couples learn to do to accomodate this type of contact. For example, couples will "block" for other couples--that means they move their chairs in a certain way to help block the CO's from looking [like they don't know what is going on!]. Also, there are "designated areas" where the couples sit so families and/or kids or couples who do not engage in this type of contact are not viewing the action! Also, if a couple has kids w/them but want to "mess around" there is a play area the kids can go to and/or other couples will take those kids for a while so the parents can "play". In that way, it is fairly civilized but of course there is no protection used [condoms] and that is a major problem!!!! I'm not saying no one gets caught--but typically this is when a CO is either after a prisoner's woman or has a grudge against the prisoner [or both]. Typically they lose contact visits for 6 months if hit. I've been a visitor at 6 NJ prisons--nothing is like Rahway in this respect--and like I said, it is known throughout the State as the one prison where you can have sex during contact visits. Perhaps this is why your guy is hesitant to have you visit--but let me also say there is nothing to be said for those couples who don't engage in this activity--in fact there are lots of couples who do not!!!

Contact visiting days are Saturday and Sunday. There are two separate visiting sessions on the weekend--you can visit on one session each day. Early registration is at 7:45AM to 9AM w/visits starting at 9:15 and second visit registration starts at 11:45AM to 1PM w/visits starting at 1:15. First registered is first in for the visit--that is why you need to get there early!!!!
Hope this is helpful!!! Let me know if you need more info.

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 10-23-2002, 06:38 PM

Default Thank You

Egs, thanks so much for the info. You answered ALL my questions!!! And considering the info you gave me, I'm sure that's the reason he doesn't want me there. Now it makes sense.
I guess I'll stick to the phone and letters thanks again.