Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Employment Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 AM

Default Walmart's background check - How far back to they check your record?

I've been offered a greeter position at my local Walmart contigent on a urinalysis and background check. The urinalysis won't be a problem,,,,the background check may be. I have 2 felonies over 7 years old,,,,2003- assault and resisting arrest, and a slew of misdemeanors, some from 2003, some from 2006,,,assault, tampering with a witness, others that I can't remember. Does anyone have any information on how far back Walmart goes in the background check and what they look for? Some say Walmart goes back 7 years, some say 5, some say other things. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2011, 08:25 AM
mrs.robinson {l@ l@}

as far as i know 5 and i found out personally i have a case pending (felony ) and they seen it i was down o the day to start took 1s an 2d interview and the drug test in then they seen my case in told me they werent intrested.so i wud be honest in tell them that was my mistake bu ur situation might be diffrent
Old 08-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I Smell Shenanigans

Thanked 2,363 Times in 1,113 Posts

Just be honest with them and don't think negatively about it. Yes, there is a chance they could reject you and then there is a chance they could accept you. Just go in there and conduct yourself in an upstanding and mature way, dressed to impress and explain what happened. Who knows what could happen .

Rest In Peace Chad. I LOVE YOU and I MISS YOU!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 PM

Default Ex-felon w/ a Walmart interview

I am an ex-felon...released from prison in 2005. I did my time for my stupid mistakes and served 3 years of clean parole. I haven't been in any trouble since. My controlling case that sent me to prison was a felony Battery on a police officer...caught that case in 2004. I also had a misdemeanor Assault and misdemeanor Possession of Paraphanalia charge from '03 that I never took care of and they added to my prison case. So technically, I was convicted of all the above charges Dec '04. Once out of prison, I was lucky enough to find work as a Temp. In '09 I got laid off do to the economy crisis and stuck on unemployment for 2 years. I moved to Texas in Sept. 2011 because I was told the job market is thriving there. Well, it kinda is, but not for a felon or anyone with a record for that matter. EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE does background reports these days and I think it would be easier to pull teeth than get a job. I had a Walmart interview in Oct. 2011 and they did my background report. All of the above charges shown on there though I was convicted of them 7 years ago...I would really like to know how far back they really go. I have changed my life, relocated and I am trying to start new again and no one will give me a chance. I have lots of different experience and skills and even an Associate Degree in Human Services...graduated with honors. And I can't get a job at Walmart??? I have been on other job interviews as well...they go good, but as soon as they get back my background report...I don't hear from them again or I get the copy of the report and a letter that tells me an offer of employment will not be extended to me at this time based on the findings in my background report. Wow...I am really at this time just not knowing what I should do. I know I need to try to get this expunged and off my record but I don't have the money to do that right now...plus my record is out of CA and I live in Texas now. So anyway...thats what happened with me and my Walmart interview. I am here to tell u they go back at least 7 years.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Mrs. Alcorta

Walmart looks at your entire history because my mon has a felony from 1975 and they saw that on her background check and she had to explain that in her interview...still no word if she'll get the job or not

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 AM

Default Try Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavonna36 View Post
I am an ex-felon...released from prison in 2005. I did my time for my stupid mistakes and served 3 years of clean parole. I haven't been in any trouble since. My controlling case that sent me to prison was a felony Battery on a police officer...caught that case in 2004. I also had a misdemeanor Assault and misdemeanor Possession of Paraphanalia charge from '03 that I never took care of and they added to my prison case. So technically, I was convicted of all the above charges Dec '04. Once out of prison, I was lucky enough to find work as a Temp. In '09 I got laid off do to the economy crisis and stuck on unemployment for 2 years. I moved to Texas in Sept. 2011 because I was told the job market is thriving there. Well, it kinda is, but not for a felon or anyone with a record for that matter. EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE does background reports these days and I think it would be easier to pull teeth than get a job. I had a Walmart interview in Oct. 2011 and they did my background report. All of the above charges shown on there though I was convicted of them 7 years ago...I would really like to know how far back they really go. I have changed my life, relocated and I am trying to start new again and no one will give me a chance. I have lots of different experience and skills and even an Associate Degree in Human Services...graduated with honors. And I can't get a job at Walmart??? I have been on other job interviews as well...they go good, but as soon as they get back my background report...I don't hear from them again or I get the copy of the report and a letter that tells me an offer of employment will not be extended to me at this time based on the findings in my background report. Wow...I am really at this time just not knowing what I should do. I know I need to try to get this expunged and off my record but I don't have the money to do that right now...plus my record is out of CA and I live in Texas now. So anyway...thats what happened with me and my Walmart interview. I am here to tell u they go back at least 7 years.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record.....

It is now illegal to ask about criminal background on a job application in Massachusetts' "ban the box" law. They must at least give you an interview. Furthermore, effective May 4, 2012, the state provided background check called CORI will have some liability shields that will leave private background checks at a disadvantage. It is likely that many companies will rely exclusively on CORI for background checks. The employer accessible version of CORI will hide things that private background checks reveal.

Last edited by AwareNow; 01-09-2012 at 08:46 AM..
Old 01-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Mrs. Alcorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwareNow

At the risk of sounding like a broken record.....

It is now illegal to ask about criminal background on a job application in Massachusetts' "ban the box" law. They must at least give you an interview. Furthermore, effective May 4, 2012, the state provided background check called CORI will have some liability shields that will leave private background checks at a disadvantage. It is likely that many companies will rely exclusively on CORI for background checks. The employer accessible version of CORI will hide things that private background checks reveal.
Ok thanks for that. I should have specified that my mom applied and interviewed with Walmart in Texas...

Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 AM

Default It's worth moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveyouRuben View Post
Ok thanks for that. I should have specified that my mom applied and interviewed with Walmart in Texas...

I noticed your location in your avatar. I'm saying that since you have already wisely left California for Texas, it would be worth your while to move up here. As an added bonus, if you have children, Emergency Assistance (EA) will provide you with a hotel room. If you pay just one night at a cheap hotel and provide a receipt, you are resident if you have no housing in another state. You qualify for full assistance as a resident on your second day in the state.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Mrs. Alcorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwareNow

I noticed your location in your avatar. I'm saying that since you have already wisely left California for Texas, it would be worth your while to move up here. As an added bonus, if you have children, Emergency Assistance (EA) will provide you with a hotel room. If you pay just one night at a cheap hotel and provide a receipt, you are resident if you have no housing in another state. You qualify for full assistance as a resident on your second day in the state.
Ummm that wasn't my post about moving...I just wanted to clarify about the post I had put up...