Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Execution Watch > Stays of Execution
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Stays of Execution Details of stays, commutations or other delays to scheduled executions.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:52 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,265 Times in 1,880 Posts

Hank does have more motions pending. Sandrine says they were expecting this denial. We have to try and stay positive. The fight isn't over!
The Following User Says Thank You to mammastalkin For This Useful Post:
DuvetDays (03-02-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,589 Posts

That's true mamma, and the other motions do look more positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastalkin View Post
Hank does have more motions pending. Sandrine says they were expecting this denial. We have to try and stay positive. The fight isn't over!

America - land of the free, home of the incarcerated.

The USA has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the the worlds prisoners.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
English Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,523 Times in 6,748 Posts

I hope things stay positive, I wish Hank, his loved ones and all his supporters the strength to keep fighting .

Old 03-03-2010, 05:53 AM

Default Justice!!

Hi - I am from Australia and have been keeping a close eye on this cae for over a year now Hank deserves justice and definitely dna testing - how difficult is that for this to be granted - it is not rocket science??? I have already faxed a letter to the Court re. the appeal - there is simply no justice here and I honestly believe that Hank is totally innocent. I pray to God that justice will prevail.

Feel helpless - he needs our help - what can we do????????
Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

The best thing to do is to keep an eye on his website hankskinner.org. Look for the tab that says "how you can help". I think it will be updated today or tomorrow. You can also write to Hank and send him postive thoughts.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:21 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

"Rob Owen, Skinner's attorney, issued the following statement:
"We are disappointed that the Supreme Court chose not to hear this petition. The most serious question raised by Mr. Skinner's case, however, is why the State continues to refuse the DNA testing that could substantiate Mr. Skinner's longstanding claim of actual innocence. That question remains pending before the Supreme Court. We continue to hope that the Court will intervene to ensure that Mr. Skinner is not executed before the troubling doubts about his guilt can be resolved through scientific evidence."
A state habeas petition was filed with the state district court in Gray County on Monday. Details of Skinner's innocence claim are in the pleading beginning on page 8. .."
http://standdown.typepad.com/weblog/...nner-case.html
Old 03-08-2010, 10:19 PM

This is insane. I don't understand how they can DENY DNA testing. WTF???

It's true that people are viewed as "guilty until proven innocent" instead of the other way around.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:10 AM

Loved reading the skepitcal juror - still praying for Hank
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Donation Award 

"Sam Millsap, a former Texas district attorney from San Antonio, recently called for DNA testing in the case of Hank Skinner, who is scheduled for execution on March 24. Texas has so far refused to conduct additional DNA tests on critical evidence from the crime scene that could support Skinner's claim of innocence."

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/new-...ding-execution
Old 03-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Old Timer

Thanked 1,166 Times in 526 Posts

Lawyers make last bid for man convicted in Panhandle slayings
By ALLAN TURNER
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
March 15, 2010, 10:37PM

With their client's execution for a triple homicide set for next week, Henry Skinner's lawyers are making a last bid to have so-far unexamined evidence — bloody knives, a rape kit, fingernail scrapings — subjected to DNA testing.

But attorneys for the prosecutor filed paperwork Monday asking U.S. Supreme Court justices not to review the case, arguing that such testing could not prove innocence.

The case of Skinner, set to die March 24 for the 1993 Pampa murders of his girlfriend, Twila Busby, and her two adult sons, has created furor among death penalty opponents who argue that Skinner was railroaded to death row.

Earlier DNA testing revealed clothing Skinner wore the night of the killings was caked with the blood of Busby and her older son. Testing of hair in Busby's hand, done at the insistence of a Chicago journalism professor, was positive for Skinner's DNA.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6914752.html
Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Here is a link to Hank's lawyer's letter to the governor.
http://standdown.typepad.com/SKINNER...ReprieveRq.pdf
Old 03-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Lawyers make last bid for man convicted in Panhandle slayings
By ALLAN TURNER
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
March 15, 2010, 10:37PM

With their client's execution for a triple homicide set for next week, Henry Skinner's lawyers are making a last bid to have so-far unexamined evidence — bloody knives, a rape kit, fingernail scrapings — subjected to DNA testing.

But attorneys for the prosecutor filed paperwork Monday asking U.S. Supreme Court justices not to review the case, arguing that such testing could not prove innocence.

The case of Skinner, set to die March 24 for the 1993 Pampa murders of his girlfriend, Twila Busby, and her two adult sons, has created furor among death penalty opponents who argue that Skinner was railroaded to death row.

Earlier DNA testing revealed clothing Skinner wore the night of the killings was caked with the blood of Busby and her older son. Testing of hair in Busby's hand, done at the insistence of a Chicago journalism professor, was positive for Skinner's DNA.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6914752.html
More terrible reporting. Please look at Hank's site for more info and proof. But the blood was smeared--not splattered--which would actually support his claim of innocence. You can't bludgeon someone and not have blood splatter on your clothes. The hair? It excluded Hank.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

" HOUSTON — The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has refused to halt the scheduled execution next week of a man convicted of a triple slaying in Pampa in the Texas Panhandle more than 16 years ago...."
http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/...or-378166.html
Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Old Timer

If the hair excluded Hank, then why is it being reported that it was his????? I just don't understand..............

Quote:
More terrible reporting. Please look at Hank's site for more info and proof. But the blood was smeared--not splattered--which would actually support his claim of innocence. You can't bludgeon someone and not have blood splatter on your clothes. The hair? It excluded Hank.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Old Timer

the TCCA has become a joke thanks to Keller. Most people have no respect for them anymore and just file because it's proceedure so that the case can move up along the line to another court that might have a 'brain cell' in their head some where.

If Texas proceeds with this execution. Would there still be a chance to continue to fight to have the rest of the evidence tested? Or would that be blocked now that he would be gone?????

Quote:
" HOUSTON — The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has refused to halt the scheduled execution next week of a man convicted of a triple slaying in Pampa in the Texas Panhandle more than 16 years ago...."
http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/...or-378166.html
Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
If the hair excluded Hank, then why is it being reported that it was his????? I just don't understand..............
Joy, go to hankskinner.org and look up the report titled Dr Shields affadavit....2005. It is under legal documents. Read all of it of course but the relevant section is on page 3 #6.

The press does this all the time. They don't fact check or do any research. Instead they just publish whatever a DA or the police tell them. We have very few investigative journalists left.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
the TCCA has become a joke thanks to Keller. Most people have no respect for them anymore and just file because it's proceedure so that the case can move up along the line to another court that might have a 'brain cell' in their head some where.

If Texas proceeds with this execution. Would there still be a chance to continue to fight to have the rest of the evidence tested? Or would that be blocked now that he would be gone?????
This was an emergency request for a stay while the SCOTUS examined the issues and decided whether to hear the case or not. His live now depends on the SCOTUS and Gov Perry.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Here is another link.
This is part of why the system is so maddening to regular folks like me. We see that there is some evidence that might point to reasonable doubt in a case where a man's life hangs in the balance. We're seven days from Hank Skinner's execution. And this is the response the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals gives to his appeal:
http://deathpenaltyblog.dallasnews.c...-denies-h.html
Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Old Timer

Wow... I also just saw who wrote the report. Our wonderful Mr. Michael GRACZYK. He wouldn't know the truth if it bit him the butt..... he reports what Texas wants him to say. He's afraid to write the truth.

Quote:
Joy, go to hankskinner.org and look up the report titled Dr Shields affadavit....2005. It is under legal documents. Read all of it of course but the relevant section is on page 3 #6.

The press does this all the time. They don't fact check or do any research. Instead they just publish whatever a DA or the police tell them. We have very few investigative journalists left.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Donation Award 

Default Innocence Project is now involved

I scanned through the 5 pages and did not see this posted. I got this email today from the innocence project.

https://secure2.convio.net/ip/site/A...svxsp4.app202a

Please post everywhere. Maybe we can get enough people outraged at this travesty of injustice. What is happening to our country? How can they justify killing a man who may be innocent.!!!

Last edited by MovingOn2Day; 03-17-2010 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: this is INjustice, not justice!!!! I am angry!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:13 AM
Always have a dream!!

Quote:

Joy, I think we have a pretty good example when it comes to that. The Todd Willingham case! They would toss and turn to protect their own backs, instead of taking the case AS an example.

That's why we have to keep on sending letters, emails and calls to who ever has a saying in this. It might not help (what I really do not hope) but at least we could try and save a possible innocent man's life!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cloudy For This Useful Post:
Joy (03-18-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 03:05 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,589 Posts

Wiggle out of this one Perry!

In response to a plea by the Innocence Project, Chromosomal Laboratories in Phoenix, Arizona has offered its accredited DNA testing services to help pursue justice. The offer was made to the Honorable Rick Perry, Governor of Texas for testing DNA evidence that could prove the innocence or guilt of Hank Skinner. Mr. Skinner is set to be executed on March 24th for the murder of his girlfriend and her two adult sons, which he was convicted of in 1995. The Innocence Project has asked that concerned individuals to urge Governor Perry to order a stay of execution until the testing can be completed.

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=114430

America - land of the free, home of the incarcerated.

The USA has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the the worlds prisoners.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJS811 For This Useful Post:
Joolz (03-19-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

I hope it will help but it will require Perry to grant a stay. The states position is that further testing will not prove innocence. Of course that is always the states position. We have to call him and post on his fb page.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Old Timer

Perry has a fb page?????

Quote:
I hope it will help but it will require Perry to grant a stay. The states position is that further testing will not prove innocence. Of course that is always the states position. We have to call him and post on his fb page.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:54 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

You bet he does. You can become a fan, post your comment and stop being a fan as you please. If you make enough comments though he will have you kicked out! lol.