Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Coming Home in Texas - Resources and Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coming Home in Texas - Resources and Stories Information and resources to assist ex-offenders and families post-incarceration in Texas.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:48 AM

Default Help for Felons

Hi everyone,

I came across this site while Tweeting about international calls from TDC. I thought it might be of help. If you click on the links and resources tab you can search for help by State.

http://www.2ndchances4felons.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codysgirl11 For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (08-28-2011), Stevesgrl (04-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 AM

If you check out the http://www.2ndchances4felons.com/ link under the links and resources tab, there is a whole list of places that hire felons complete with contact names and phone numbers.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to codysgirl11 For This Useful Post:
grmnclt_gurl (08-03-2011), keith74mom (08-01-2011), purplerose212 (08-02-2011), Stevesgrl (04-27-2012), Sugar Plum (08-01-2011), Y25 (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

Interesting site. Let's hope that it pans out and has more resources available outside of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. There are several other large metropolitan areas (Houston, San Antonio, Austin) that have thousands of felons that are trying to be the good citizens and do their duty.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotjas View Post
Interesting site. Let's hope that it pans out and has more resources available outside of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. There are several other large metropolitan areas (Houston, San Antonio, Austin) that have thousands of felons that are trying to be the good citizens and do their duty.
Just trying to help in any way I can. My husband, too, will need employment when he comes home and not being from Texas I have no clue where to look for work for him or for me so I am really flying blind here. Hope it helps someone anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to codysgirl11 For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (08-01-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned

There is the Texas Workforce.. i think they're named Texas Worksource now? or Texas Works? .. can't remember, they've changed their name a few times over the years. Any how, your husband will go through "Project RIO", it's an offender only program, developed by an inmate years ago. RIO = Re-Integration of Offenders. It's specifically setup to assist inmates when they get out with government assistance programs, job placement, job services, training, etc.. while RIO is only for inmates, the Worksource is available to anyone that resides within the Texas borders. I think your situation you would be able to utilize their services as you will be residing in Texas.

Check them out @ http://www.twc.state.tx.us/
Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
There is the Texas Workforce.. i think they're named Texas Worksource now? or Texas Works? .. can't remember, they've changed their name a few times over the years. Any how, your husband will go through "Project RIO", it's an offender only program, developed by an inmate years ago. RIO = Re-Integration of Offenders. It's specifically setup to assist inmates when they get out with government assistance programs, job placement, job services, training, etc.. while RIO is only for inmates, the Worksource is available to anyone that resides within the Texas borders. I think your situation you would be able to utilize their services as you will be residing in Texas.

Check them out @ http://www.twc.state.tx.us/
I thought that "Project Rio" was done away with during the whole budget business. I don't claim to know anything really about the Texas budget cuts and all (although I do try to keep up) so if I am mistaken please let me know.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Account Closed

Project RIO was indeed eliminate as part of the 2011 Budget Cuts.

http://texasimpact.org/content/close...jc-project-rio
http://www.***********.org/2011/02/t...ram-as-of.html

I think the websites and information should be updated to reflect this but often at times it doesn't happen.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrasil View Post
Project RIO was indeed eliminate as part of the 2011 Budget Cuts.

http://texasimpact.org/content/close...jc-project-rio
http://www.***********.org/2011/02/t...ram-as-of.html

I think the websites and information should be updated to reflect this but often at times it doesn't happen.
Thank you for the update.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Banned

Wow! RIO was cut? Who'd ever think that something that possibly didn't benefit most of the inmates would ever be cut in funding. I mean, I've been self employed since I graduated UCLA 12 years ago. (Spent 12 years in college to get a few masters degrees) and they insisted that I go through the RIO program to find me a job, government assistance, enroll me in food stamps, the whole 9 yards. I looked at the lady and said, "Did you even check anything I said? You have access to my SS number and previous employment. You have my transcripts from UCLA, did you not pay attention to anything I've told you? I don't need the governments help. Don't waste your time or money on me cause it's pointless." Yet, they still did it anyway because it was 'required' that all inmates enroll in RIO. WOW, I just can't believe they cut it's minimal funding it had already. Go figure. I guess it wasn't a 10th as productive as they were claiming it's success.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:13 AM

Default Thank you so much for adding my link

Since creating my website I have added in more cities & states. This website has been a work in progress for a very long time. I make updates to it frequently and work very hard on it so you sharing my link means a lot to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2C4F For This Useful Post:
waitingformyluv (04-23-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Since creating my website I have added in resources and information for all 50 states. I also want to thank you for the positive feedback. Sincerely M.F.H. creator of the 2C4F website
The Following User Says Thank You to 2C4F For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (04-18-2012)