Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Texas should be posted here.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:14 PM

Default Texas Early Release

My wife is at the Henley unit and they are getting told by staff and CO's that effective September 1, they have to begin releasing non-violent first time offenders, even the chaplain is telling them. Then they are told that they have to transfer them out. She says that other inmates families are seeing news reports about early release. I've checked the Legislative's web site and the new laws and can't find anything. If anyone has any info, please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 AM

My husband is at Bartlett. Mostly he hears stuff from other inmates, so you can't put any faith in those comments. He is third time DUI and is up for parole in December. It sounds like it's pretty much a crapshoot as to whether they get released. I think that one of the hardest things about all of this is that you never know anything. Mostly you just have to wait and see what happens...

I went to visit yesterday and I couldn't see him 'cause there's a virus and they have three of the dorms quarantined
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 AM
I LOVE MY BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoc View Post
My wife is at the Henley unit and they are getting told by staff and CO's that effective September 1, they have to begin releasing non-violent first time offenders, even the chaplain is telling them. Then they are told that they have to transfer them out. She says that other inmates families are seeing news reports about early release. I've checked the Legislative's web site and the new laws and can't find anything. If anyone has any info, please help!!!
I haven't heard anything, but im very interested to know. my man falls into that category, however he is in parole review at the moment, hopefully that would speed it along.

We got a one year set off. Hoping 2012 is our year!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 AM
Banned

Most of the staff are going to base what they hear/say from what they hear other inmates talking about. The COs are not informed on decisions that parole make or even new laws that concern parole release. The few that DO concern themselves with it, they're not likely to discuss such things with offenders. This is obviously my personal opinion based on my time done within the system.

Each time I went down, I heard countless rumors about early releases, holiday kickouts, yadda yadda yadda. All came to the same conclusion: false. TDC doesn't have any of those things. This is how I would imagine it to be happening, should they be doing any type of early releasing:

/begin opinion
Parole will review people and if a situation arises that over crowding is imminent, they might vote positively on non-violent offenders that pose very little danger to the community. Remember something as well, the voting members of the parole board are held accountable for violent offenders that get released AND commit another violent offense. Meaning, they can be fired for letting the wrong ones out. Back to non-violent offenders.. the Federal guidelines have a maximum capacity for units and prisons in general. When the system reaches a critical stage, they must vote more positively to ensure that the system isn't taking more than it can handle. Checks and Balances. Obviously those that are non-violent are going to be considered first, and then progressively worse offenses are considered down the line. They are not going to let someone out that is non-violent that hasn't been up for review, during this 'release' process either. Only those that would normally be under review and have a possibility of a denial would be considered for such release.
/end opinion
Old 08-01-2011, 06:08 AM
チェッカー
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,353 Times in 393 Posts

I agree with shotjas. There never has been and most likely never will be a "mandatory kickout". One of the things that breeds rumors in prison is the news itself. Lots of times it will be reported that a certain bill will go before the legislature and half the people watching it will assume it is already law not realizing it is not law until it is approved in both houses and signed by the governor. I agree with shotjas' opinion that the parole decisions might become more relaxed due to political or logistical pressures, but a sweeping law requiring release I would have to see in writing from a reliable source. Even then I would be skeptical because the early kickout rumor has been around since the first unit opened up in 1849.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Real Checker For This Useful Post:
cphillips (08-05-2011), keith74mom (08-01-2011), Y25 (08-02-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 02:59 PM

My understanding is that there were some "early release" bills being considered during this past session but none made it to the Legislature. And as shotjas said, even if something had passed, it would only apply to those eligible and being reviewed for parole. TDCJ just isn't going to randomly release a large number of inmates, non-violent or otherwise, budget crisis or not. I hate that these rumors get started and falsely raise people's hopes.

Last edited by Y25; 08-02-2011 at 03:04 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Y25 For This Useful Post:
acro (08-02-2011), heartfriend (08-04-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 03:09 PM

There is also a rumor of state jail people only having to do 50% of their time.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 PM

All of these is just rumors. The 35% rumor did not make it thru legislation, so nothing yet
The Following User Says Thank You to MsPrettiJackson For This Useful Post:
Renee (08-02-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

I will add as well, about the 35% rumor.. it's been floating in the systems flux for over 10 years. From California to Florida to New York.. Inmates, Convicts, Offenders, what ever name they go by will have shotty facts that are not researched and undocumented to substantiate their claims of truth. Bottom line, non-aggravated sentences will be eligible for parole after their good time, work time and flat time (I believe there is bonus time now too) equal 100% of their calendar time. For aggravated sentences, they must do 50% of their time before they are eligible for parole. That would be 50% calendar days, flat time. There are no exceptions to these rules, there are no changes. There is that and that alone. It's the model the calculates the PRD and PED.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotjas View Post
I will add as well, about the 35% rumor.. it's been floating in the systems flux for over 10 years. From California to Florida to New York.. Inmates, Convicts, Offenders, what ever name they go by will have shotty facts that are not researched and undocumented to substantiate their claims of truth. Bottom line, non-aggravated sentences will be eligible for parole after their good time, work time and flat time (I believe there is bonus time now too) equal 100% of their calendar time. For aggravated sentences, they must do 50% of their time before they are eligible for parole. That would be 50% calendar days, flat time. There are no exceptions to these rules, there are no changes. There is that and that alone. It's the model the calculates the PRD and PED.
I don't think I get what you're saying about non-aggravated parole eligibilty. Good time, work time & flat time must equal 100% of their calendar time before being eligible for parole? By calendar time do you mean sentence time? i.e. sentence is for 10 years so good time + work time + flat time = 10 years?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Banned

That is correct. All their time earned equals 100% of their sentence. So if someone has 5 yrs, and they'll do 456.25 (estimate) days to eligible for parole. As they gain higher time earning status, such as S4, S3, S2.. they get more time earned per month. There is also Line1, Line2 and Line3..

I know the information is in the inmate handbook about how much time each class earns. I think the maximum is 45 days per 30 days flat done. So every month they do, they get 45 days good time and "bonus time" (if it's in effect). They'll receive work time so long as they are not "unassigned" or aggravated. Not to be confused with "Medically unassigned" - that is still a job, just with every restriction to prevent them from actually working.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 PM

My husbands PED is next month...He signed for a 3 year sentence and has been in jail since May. So what is that 15% of his time done before his PED. He still hasn't even seen a TDC facility yet.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotjas View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I believe that non-3G sentences are eligible for parole after their flat time + good time, etc equals 25% of their sentence. That would be the PED. The PRD is when the flat time + good time, etc equals 100% of their sentence, but they've been eligible for parole before that.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:11 PM

Thanked 4,945 Times in 2,968 Posts

Y25, you are correct.

I'll paste the tables in below for good time earned for line class. ABC credits were work credits. Now it is diligent participation credits.

Good time and ABC credits for 65thLegislature (Pre-70th) offenders (before 9-1-1987)

Flat time | Good time | ABC credits |Max goodtime earned
LC3: 30 days | 0 days | 0 days | 0 days
LC2: 30 days | 10 days | 15 days | 25 days
LC1: 30 days | 20 days | 15 days | 35 days

State Approved Trusty
SAT4: 30 days | 40 days | 15 days | 55 days
SAT3: 30 days | 45 days | 15 days | 60 days
SAT2: 30 days | 45 days | 15 days | 60 days
SAT1: 30 days | 45 days | 15 days | 60 days

Good time and Diligent Participation Credits for 70th legislature offenders (after 9-1-1987)

Flat time | Good time | Diligent Participation |Max goodtime earned
LC3: 30 days | 0 days | 0 days | 0 days
LC2: 30 days | 10 days | 15 days | 25 days
LC1: 30 days | 20 days | 15 days | 35 days

State Approved Trusty
SAT4: 30 days | 25 days | 15 days | 40 days
SAT3: 30 days | 30 days | 15 days | 45 days
SAT2: 30 days | 30 days | 15 days | 45 days
SAT1: 30 days | 30 days | 15 days | 45 days

Last edited by RobinsMan; 08-09-2011 at 04:13 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RobinsMan For This Useful Post:
Y25 (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y25 View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I believe that non-3G sentences are eligible for parole after their flat time + good time, etc equals 25% of their sentence. That would be the PED. The PRD is when the flat time + good time, etc equals 100% of their sentence, but they've been eligible for parole before that.
Yes, that's what I thought. 25%. I thought maybe I was missing something or that I was just plain daft not understanding what was being said.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 PM

Default Early release

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPrettiJackson View Post
All of these is just rumors. The 35% rumor did not make it thru legislation, so nothing yet
My husband is at Larry Gist in Beaumont. First time offender for evading arrest. Not only has there been no early release, there is hardly any release. Forty went before the board this week. Twenty got a year offset, 17 got serve all. Only 3 got parole. Mine fits all the qualifications for shock parole, but it has not been looking good. I drive 6 hours each weekend to visit and cannot even get him closer to home. I have sent copies of my medical records twice as well as the one that my Dr. sent. Get this, they never show that they have them. Our system is so messed up and I have no clue where to turn next. I am open for any suggestion,