Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

LOUISIANA Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Louisiana - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, etc.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:26 PM

Exclamation Lord please help the women at L.C.I.W.

At Louisiana Correctional Institute for Women (LCIW) the women are routinely subjected to maltreatment above, and beyond guidelines of incarceration. LCIW is surrounded by several chemical plants, located in the town of St. Gabriel,La. approximately 30 miles south of Baton Rouge, La.Its commonly referred to as "Cancer Alley." These plannts omit a chemical named "Benjene" which is the most cancer causing agent known to man. Many of the women at LCIW are contracting cancer at an alarming rate. Many hav died. The medical neglect is rampid. Dental fitters are not routinely changed, and in the enviornment of HIV, and Hep C, the diseases are spread. Food quality is substandared with canned fruit only given to those with restricted diets. No fruit is issued to the rest of the population who suffer from vitamin C deficiency and compromised immune systems. There are frequent "food sales" for those who have the financial means to pay extreme elevated prices. Food is used as a weapon at L.C.I.W. The women are fed portions smaller than a childs plate, and are often hungry leaving the dining room. They are told the prison does'nt have to make them full, only keep them alive. They are told to purchase food from the canteen. M.R.E. (Meals Ready To Eat) are expired when given to the women which causes food poisioning. The kitchen is very unsanitary. L.C.I.W. officials are always forewarned when inspectors are coming. The women at that time are issued bleach, and other cleaning products, to frantically clean in order to pass inspection. All clothes at L.C.I.W. are washed together, without bleach, with body fluids with those that possess communical diseases, mixed with everyone else clothes. Bath towels are reissued to women not knowing what disease still lingers. Toilet paper is rationed, and women are told to purchase from the canteen. Toilet paper is not a luxury, its a neccesity. Half of the womens incenitive pay is held in an account in a local bank until the amount reaches $250. At no time are the women allowed to utilize the $250, however L.C.I.W collects the interests from the principle of each account. This practice is illegal according to federal banking laws,and security and trade mission laws. Medication is distributed three times daily throughout the day. Each women is required to pay for their own meds. If someone has run out of their prescription the nurses will issue the same med from another person supply, with no record kept, requiring the borrower to repurchase sooner. The abuse and maltreatment of the nurses inside the infirmary forces many women to postpone or forego medical treatment. The women are most often screamed at or cursed at for requiring medical attention. The walls possess mold which is painted over. The staff is very unprofessional. Many of the security is related. Inmates are constantly being brought to lockdown by dirty guards and the guards family.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,904 Times in 5,349 Posts

Do you have documentation for any of this? Letters from other inmates? Anything to back up your story?

Introducing PTO Quarterly - Winter 2014 Issue Read All About it Right Here!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Still KraZee in Love !

Thanked 4,292 Times in 2,164 Posts

I have a friend who is serving at this facility and she and I write on a regular basis and she has never mentioned any of this to me . She has completed several programs and has had a significant amount of her time reduced. She even told me she sent her sentencing judge a thank you card for sending her there because it saved her life. She's in for a 5th DWI . She also told me that she attends church regularly in there and has formed new friendships and a better outlook on life. So, I'm not saying your wrong, just saying that my friend paints an entirely different picture of this place than you do.
LifeTraveler (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 02:14 PM

I guess it's like how I get a completely different story about what's going on in Angola. I'll read horror stories about mistreatment and whatnot, but my friend that is there never has encountered any of it - an he's been there for 10 years.

I guess their time is what they make of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to RainyCola For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (08-05-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 01:22 PM

My girl is currently there and she did get food poisoning from a ready made meal from canteen. Don't know if that was cause it was expired or not.

She does complain of being given dirty unclean water to drink while on lockdown.

She does complain about the infirmary and how they are dismissive of her for complaining about having a kidney infection (she is now getting meds but she had to suffer for days before getting treated).

She complains about some guards being overly mean, specifically on lockdown. I'm assuming this is everywhere though as she said there are good ones too.

The way she was treated while on lockdown was inexcusable with what she was telling me. I am horrified by it. She didn't complain like this prior to lockdown so it might just be a problem isolated to lockdown and all prisons may be like this. I don't know.

They wouldn't let her buy pads when she was on her period or things like that (yes she should have stocked up when she was able but that is inexcusable for them to treat her like that). That should be a basic right.

There are very bad parts of LCIW but it sounds like there are ok parts too. Not sure that is different than any other prison but that is what I heard from my fiancé.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian27 For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (08-22-2011)