Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Employment Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:05 PM

Default Are there Trucking Companies that hire sex offenders?

Hi, my husband is a registered sex offender from 1989 and his last felony conviction (felon in possession of a firearm) was in 2005. He is currently in truck driving school and I need some suggestions as to where to start looking for a job. Does anyone know of companies that hire sex offenders?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Donation Award 

Default CDL Driving jobs

Okay here is something for you & him to think about....
First, I would look for some local small company jobs that DO NOT check with DAC/HIRERIGHT. Here is the site info... http://www.hireright.com/Consumers-Applicants.aspx
I have a low class felony from 2003(Served time in 2004 to 2005 for the same offense). I had nothing show up on my DAC report until I went looking @ some of the Big Companies like Schneider,Werner,Ryder & such..Now my DAC is screwed because it shows up now on the report.The big Orange company did a local search & reported it to DAC themselves(Crock of Bull there).
Now back to the pros & cons of working for small companies...
Usually more friendly. But less pay & insurance benefits. Usually older trucks unless you find an owner who really knows the ups & downs of having newer trucks. Most local companies will just shoe string the trucks together just to get by then go on..With the new CSA 2010 rules that will hurt the driver.
Points will add up on him & the company. But the company just doesn't care that much until the insurance carrier gets a report & then will say you have to cut such & such driver for their CSA points.
Also have your HIRE RIGHT /DAC report sent to you immeadieatly after getting his cdl. It is like a credit report. But more on the personal info & drivers license background..You are allowed 1 free report a year just like a credit report. But if any dicrepensies are in there make sure you contest them & get them off.
Alot of companies will screw you on the DAC for quitting them(their own way of messing with you in the end). I know some folks might say that's wrong. But it happens all the time..Just look up some truckers message boards.
I know that this post is getting long. But I'm not even close to all the info I need to post on here. I have had my CDL since 1999 & have been lucky with the companies I have worked for since then...I can assist you in any questions & such..Just PM me Or I can post more on here later if you want me to. I am pretty good driver & have also worked on the Safety(office)side of driving also. I haven't had much on my record luckily like speeding & such. So I am pretty well qualified to talk about being a trucker & what it takes to survive & get jobs. Also watch out for the many,many myths out there!
PR

The Following User Says Thank You to roadiez For This Useful Post:
justinr11 (09-07-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 06:42 AM

Try England in Salt Lake City or Marten Transport in Mondovi Wi- just a hunch
Old 09-06-2011, 07:22 PM

Anyone with something really bad in a rap sheet might consider how easy it can be to buy a used truck- easier than you think. But you should take precautions against repeated vandalism: Immediately install a lock on the hood and locking gas caps the day you purchase it. Get financing through a bank. A decent truck can Sometimes be found for $10,000 but you wont pay that up front. If you don't have a wife, put your stuff in storage, shower at the gym, stay at Mom's or even go camping two months while employed and you could have 20% down right there. The guys who keep their money driving over the road live in the delux sleepers. You can save thousands and thousands a year. Just make sure you get a free DoT inspection at a TA Truck Stop every month because trucks get lots of miles. Be sure to pay the $300 for a top end inspection when buying the truck so you know if the engine is good. You can rent a trailer from Extra Lease or Ryder until you save money. Contact the state Police for information on getting an operating authority. It is simplified if you run less than five trucks.

Don't forget a hood lock and gas cap lock immediately. I know a driver who was looking for his three children and only found two ten years later after he was accused of molestation but later proved it false. They adopted his kids out. He went to buy a truck and in a week it blew up. He had lots of money living on a truck and bought another. That one blew up a week later. Get a lock.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:41 PM

You have the right to contest info on your driver record DAC-not sure how it would pan out
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 PM
♥♥♥♥I love my boys!♥♥♥♥

My husband's sex offence is a misdemeanor...do you think he will find the same roadblocks as a RSO with a felony? He has 2 years experience driving, his CDL is still active, and just got out of prison(one year in). TIA.
Our Family - established in 1999
Old 10-12-2011, 04:50 PM

Small companies sometimes still drive all 48 states and they can be better to work for by a country mile. I don't know how your SO registry works, but a lot of small companies dont care about anything but wrecks and tickets.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Often small companies will hire someone on the spot if they show up for an interview with the short form driver record that shows all moving violations, but no DAC information. Just tell them you printed it out for non driving interviews.