Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Adult Children and Siblings of Inmates
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Adult Children and Siblings of Inmates For Adult Children, brothers and sisters of prisoners

Old 06-06-2011, 01:41 PM

Default Brother incarcerated and looking for someone to talk to..

My name is Amanda and I'm 14 years old. My older brother's name is Ryan and he is 23. he is in prison in California. I don't get to see him because I live in Texas. I'm not very good at writing letters regularly. I'm looking for someone to talk to and help me understand and help me through this hard time. Someone to give me advice and help me learn what's going on. He is in prison because he attempted to rape a neighbor while drunk/high. I really miss him and I love him more than anything, but he has already been in prison 4 years and about 4 more years to go. I'm just worried that once he gets out, things won't be the same. He won't be my big brother that I know. He will be different. Not the same person. I visited him a few times and he was totally strict and didn't seem like my brother at all. I really need help on this. Any age would be fine if anyone wants to talk to me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,051 Times in 10,529 Posts

Hi Amanda, and welcome to the board!

Your brother will be a different person. He will have learned a lot, and some will be good, some bad. If he's keeping busy in prison, taking classes, working, then he will probably find more of the good and less of the bad. We can't tell you how he's going to handle it all. Right now, though, he's learned how to survive in prison, and that alone will make him seem different to you.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:01 PM

Prison or jail time can be hard thing for everyone not only the inmate. It's important for you to stay strong and try not to stress or worry, I know that is easier said than done. I hope your brother is doing the best he can with the situations hes in. Good Luck...
Old 06-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Thank you. I really hope you're right
Old 06-30-2011, 02:45 PM

I think it's wonderful that you found PTO and you are looking for people to help you understand what your brother is going through and I'm sure this incarceration deeply affects you as well. Even as young as you are, you seem bright and hopeful. The best advice I can give you, is never give up on your brother and do everything you can to write him. He needs to know that you still love him and you are thinking about him, even when you can't visit him!!

I have a boyfriend in prison and I write him all the time. He loves my letters. I tell him the most silly things happening in my life, what my dogs are doing, how my friends are, what classes I'm taking.

I hope you can do the same with your brother. Do a little journal each day. I type my letters, it's so much easier for me, and Paulie gets super long letters this way. I truly wish you the best, and I do hope you continue to post on PTO and ask questions and look for advice and support. Whether it's a boyfriend, a husband, a brother, sister or son, prison all affects us and we are all here on PTO looking for answers and support.

((Hugs))

PG

Last edited by Paulie'sGirl; 06-30-2011 at 02:47 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie'sGirl For This Useful Post:
krystal_is_me (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 03:21 PM
waiting on forever.

Sweetie, you have an opportunity to get closer to your brother during this time! You are correct in thinking he will not be the same when he comes home, but you will not be the same person you are today when he comes home. Time changes people regardless of where you are at. Just take it a day at a time... I encourage you to write those letters, even if they are really short and do not say a whole lot. Your brother needs the support, and you deserve to have your brother as well. He can still be your big brother, even if miles and bars are in your way. You have an opportunity to get to know your brother and he, you. Doing this will help when he is released because then you will not feel as if he is a stranger. Send him all kinds of things (that are allowed of course), pictures, cards, cross word puzzles, or just send him letters. I am sure it will mean the world to him that you stand by him through all of this. My sister spent three years in prison, and it was extremely hard (and can still be hard even now) but I learned so much about her, and myself by standing by her and being a silent supporter for her. Then you need to figure out what you can do for yourself! Make goals and do what it takes to achieve them, make yourself proud and then tell your brother about it! If you ever want to talk you can message me, and I mean this! You need to be able to let your feelings out occassionally and I can be a really good listener. Good luck!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." Maria Robinson
Old 07-05-2011, 10:42 PM

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. I too have a brother in the penal system. While this will be a difficult time for you and your family, just be supportive of your brother and keep faith in god.

As difficult as this must be for you, you have no idea what your brother is going through every day in that hell. I think you should tell him to keep quiet about what he was convicted for as rapists tend to be targets of violence and even rape themselves.

My own brother was serving a 7 year sentence for armed robbery. He had to defend himself physically from some inmates that had been raping him and abusing repeatedly and killed one of them in an attempt to end his torment and humiliation. Now he's had 15 years added to his sentence and has had to join the Aryan Brotherhood for protection. Last time I spoke with him he hinted that he would have to kill again to prove his loyalty and that he was sure he would die in prison sooner or later.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 PM

It is a great thing you reached out here. I found this website 2 years ago and boy, has it helped me. My brother is in NC. I live out of state, so only see him 1 or 2x a year. Our relationship has grown thru letters. We are tighter now than before. He loves getting my letters. I mail them every Monday so he can count on it. Sometimes they are short, sometimes not. Either way, it means alot to know I care, I love him. Try your best to get something out to him regularly. All the best!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Thank you so much!