Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:10 PM

I have no words for this.Unbelievable...that poor Child. Something has got to be done to change the system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigmomma52 For This Useful Post:
blipsycat (06-11-2011), survivingainteasy (10-07-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3Boyz View Post
I knew there was more to this story than met the eye and now I am even more upset about this case. This child has endured a horrible life from the get go and the system did in fact fail him.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...eglected-child

this is so,so sad.the poor boy hasnt had a good start at all in life.in fact the whole family and no way on earth is there any rehabilitation for him in prison!!! all he will learn in prison is more violence and learning that the only way to "survive" is to fight. my prayers go out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramira34 For This Useful Post:
survivingainteasy (10-07-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,876 Times in 1,674 Posts

Wow, I am sickened, saddened and appalled. This is a job for God, and His people...NOT PRISON!!!!!!!!!! I am praying for all. Prison for a 12yr old??? Really??? ABSURD! Are we as a country really THAT BROKEN?! I feel a rally comming on.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1bird2 For This Useful Post:
survivingainteasy (10-07-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabehr View Post
. Kids that age don't just commit premeditated murders!!!!
Are you sure? Even us peaceful and fun loving Canadians do it!

google "medicine hat girl murders family."

Who at age 12 did not realize that murder was illegal? Until what age do you think people should be allowed to commit whatever crimes they please without facing any consequences?
Old 07-10-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CagedLove View Post
Are you sure? Even us peaceful and fun loving Canadians do it!

google "medicine hat girl murders family."

Who at age 12 did not realize that murder was illegal? Until what age do you think people should be allowed to commit whatever crimes they please without facing any consequences?
I'm sure 12 yr. olds know that murder is illegal. I don't think they should be allowed to commit whatever crime they want until a certain age. But the reality is that he has been abused his whole life. He has been taught that hitting and knocking the crap out of a kid is the right thing and the way to keep them in order. This 12 yr. old was left to watch his younger siblings. 12 yr. old kids are in no way capable or ready to babysit small children. He did what he was taught, they act up beat the hell out of them. This child needs help not prison!!! There are adults who commit murders who get less than they want to give this kid. Really it is sickening to give up on someone that never had a chance. You can't really think that this state should lock him up and throw away the key! It is a tragedy that a little boy lost his life and it's tragic that another child is losing his. With so much being said about protecting children, why is it that it's for all kids except this one??????? We as a country should do better than this, there's another solution to this problem and I'm pretty sure prison isn't it!!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,314 Times in 670 Posts

Neurological research shows that a human being's frontal lobe (which is part of impulse and control) does not finish growing until around AGE 27!

How can a child of this age be charged with something when his brain isn't fully developed!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cara1947 For This Useful Post:
Mzneeta (10-28-2011), survivingainteasy (10-07-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 05:09 PM

This is not the first time and will not be the last. JMO....I believe that parents are responsible for 100% of their childs behavior until they reach the age of 21. We are suppose to be preparing them for adulthood.

God hears our prayers and because we are not getting what we pray for does not mean that God is not doing anything.

Jaycc had no help, Kyron had no help, Caylee had no help, the little boy upstate that was dismembered had no help, Haielie had no help

The list goes on and on. Until there is a way to handle this, we must be vigilant. Keenly watchful to detect danger, wary,like a sentry. . ever awake and alert,sleeplessly watchful. Sounds like a lot to ask of a mom and dad, but every case that has involved a child, there was no vigilant and loving parent to protect them.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:17 PM

what an upside down world we live in! When did it get like this??? People don't value life..theirs or others. We do drugs to make ourselves feel better or not feel at all. We treat each other with disdain. We depend on our emotions to guide us through crisis. How can children grow up healthy?

My heart goes out to this child and to others affected by abuse of any kind. It is sad that they have no recourse for anger but to lash out at others, many times hurting those smaller or weaker than themselves.

Even so Lord Jesus, Come quickly!
Franbake (10-09-2011), survivingainteasy (10-07-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
This child's name is Christian Fernandez, please pray for this child, his mom and his 2 siblings.
Are you saying that he didn't do it? Otherwise I don't understand your post.

I think that most people would have trouble garnering up sympathy for anybody who kills a 2 year old child, despite the age of the assailant. Also, instead of praying for the mother of the killer, why not pray for the mother of the murdered child?
Old 07-17-2011, 06:34 PM
attorney

Thanked 12,301 Times in 4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay L. Bird View Post

I think that most people would have trouble garnering up sympathy for anybody who kills a 2 year old child, despite the age of the assailant. Also, instead of praying for the mother of the killer, why not pray for the mother of the murdered child?
if you're the praying type, why wouldn't you pray for everybody involved, including both mothers?

2 year olds die every day. Mostly, it's a result of illness or tragic accident. While I'd love to see cancer on death row, it's not going to happen. And, while we may be really, really mad at the swimming pool manufacturer for a defect, we can't put the company in prison. We can get all bent out of shape about the teenager who was supposed to be watching a 2 year old when the 2 year old escaped and then toddled off towards traffic. That's negligence, not a criminal act.

We're talking a 12 year old. You tell me what you were able to appreciate at the age of 12. You tell me if you really knew what was permanent, what was too much force, what's premeditated. I'm sorry; the juvenile justice system first emerged in the 19th century because we acknowledged that children are DIFFERENT. The emphasis is on reform. The emphasis is on giving kids a second chance, teaching them, and allowing them the opportunity to become contributing members of society. That's very different from adults - adults already had a chance to become contributing members of society and blew it.

12 year olds are not allowed to work. they aren't allowed to drive. They can't quit school. They have no right to contract. They can't vote. They aren't old enough to be emancipated. Without parents, they are placed in CPS. They can't go to a PG-13 movie. They need to have their parent or guardian sign off on everything - permission slips, bank deposits and withdraws. Most have never made a major purchase in their lives, at least not beyond spending birthday money on a new bike. They don't pay taxes. They don't have the math knowledge to even do a 1040EZ. They can't have wills. They don't own any property.

12 year olds - we're talking kids who've only been away from home for sleep over camp and slumber parties. Catholics, Lutherans, Jews, Presbyterians, and probably far more than that, don't consider 12 year olds old enough to participate in religion as anything other than a child.

12 year olds - they're still growing all of their adult teeth, let's not even bother to mention secondary sexual traits or how far away they are from having adult bodies.

Tell me, please, what does a child know of murder?

Then again, it was less than 20 years ago that some jurisdictions allowed the execution of 14 year olds. Interestingly, the Supreme Court finally said that people under 18 are not mature enough to commit the types of crimes that can result in the death penalty.

At one point in time, the US lead the world in juvenile justice, and acknowledging that kids are kids, and deserve a chance to become contributing adults, no matter what they do. Now? we're trying to convince people that a 12 year old, who can't buy spray paint legally, can do something so premeditated, so knowingly, and with such adult awareness that he forfeits the rest of his life. To me, that's a huge step backwards.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
DannysFM (10-27-2011), Jake123 (08-01-2011), LaBooBoo (07-20-2011), LeBeau (07-18-2011), survivingainteasy (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Now Cristian is being charged with first degree murder -- as an adult.

Consider signingthe petition to:
Reverse decision to try 12 y/o Cristian Fernandez as an adult

http://www.change.org/petitions/reverse-decision-to-try-12-yo-cristian-fernandez-as-an-adult

[url=http://www.ezticker.com/]

Last edited by DABsgirl; 10-07-2011 at 08:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DABsgirl For This Useful Post:
Mzneeta (10-28-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 PM

Agree completely, this child had no chance...If all this abuse is known WHY was the child left in this household??? Our system sucks... There is a 25 yr old here in TN that CONFESSED to hiding a pregnancy and smothering her TWINS one after the other after giving birth. She is out on bond (250,000) and I am appalled at this 12 yr old child being put in an ADULTS shoes... Something has to change BUT where do we start??? We have turned into a world that uggghhh I dont even have words. I just left from visiting my son in jail and my heart was just broke.. The jail is overcrowded and they had released 4 people early and they all ask to use my phone (all young like 18 to 20) to get a ride and do you know NOT one could get a person to answer the phone. I had tears in my eyes. I said what about your parents??? Everyone said WE DO NOT TALK.... What have we become...

Quote:
I'm sure 12 yr. olds know that murder is illegal. I don't think they should be allowed to commit whatever crime they want until a certain age. But the reality is that he has been abused his whole life. He has been taught that hitting and knocking the crap out of a kid is the right thing and the way to keep them in order. This 12 yr. old was left to watch his younger siblings. 12 yr. old kids are in no way capable or ready to babysit small children. He did what he was taught, they act up beat the hell out of them. This child needs help not prison!!! There are adults who commit murders who get less than they want to give this kid. Really it is sickening to give up on someone that never had a chance. You can't really think that this state should lock him up and throw away the key! It is a tragedy that a little boy lost his life and it's tragic that another child is losing his. With so much being said about protecting children, why is it that it's for all kids except this one??????? We as a country should do better than this, there's another solution to this problem and I'm pretty sure prison isn't it!!!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM

All of you, please read the entire story before rendering your opinions. This is a 12 yr old who has a mother 12 years older than he. She was not equipped to be a mother. This child should have been taken from her at his birth and given a chance at a real life. When he was 2, he was sent to a foster home with his then 14 yr old mother because his grandmother, who was his guardian was doing drugs & who knows what else. Christian was found wandering naked in a parking lot.

Christian's mother has now given birth to other children and at 24 yrs old, is still not capable of being a real mother. Christian's step-father abused him. Christian at age 12 has not only been sexually abused but mentally & physically abused! He should have never been left alone with a 2 yr old, but his "mother" left them. Christian's step-father was charged with the abuse & committed suicide last Oct. in FRONT of both Christian AND David. David was covered in his blood. NEITHER child was sent to counseling.

Children wrestle & rough-house. As a result, David's leg was broken. Again, the "mother" left them alone just a couple of months later! David then sustains a head injury and when the "mother" returned and found him unconscious, she did NOTHING. She should have taken him to the ER. Instead, she waited 6 HOURS. The doctors said had he been brought in earlier, it is highly possible he wouldn't have died.

We are all products of our childhood. This poor little boy has been abused & molested & now if facing prison. He has been evaluated and it has been shown that he is capable of being rehabilitated. He has a chance of overcoming his abusive first 12 yrs & could grow up into a healthy functioning adult. He needs that chance!

Have a heart. I am all for punishment for crimes, but the punishment needs to fit the crime. Had he intentionally killed his little brother, that would be one thing. I for one, believe this was an accident. I know of incidents where children get guns & shoot & kill another child. They don't get this type of punishment.

This child needs help and another chance! I strongly urge every one of you to do what you can to make the public aware of this case & try to help this child.

It may be too late for his mother to get help and change, but I don't believe it's too late for Christian...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leos mom For This Useful Post:
Franbake (10-09-2011), ladydy228 (10-09-2011), Mrs.ASwift223 (10-10-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 08:21 PM

Default I signed the petition for 12 yr old Cristian

[quote=DABsgirl;6385457]Now Cristian is being charged with first degree murder -- as an adult.

Consider signingthe petition to:
Reverse decision to try 12 y/o Cristian Fernandez as an adult

I signed the petition!
The Following User Says Thank You to ladydy228 For This Useful Post:
Leos mom (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Donation Award 

Default words won't even cover all

I think "yourself" made the most valid points without emotion taking over the comments. I belive it's very easy for people to judge the actions of others...and give opinions freely and quickly.

I hope everyone takes a moment to digest and ponder the details behind this story and the 12 yr old's life. He has endured pain and suffering that most people do not experience in 75 years on this planet. Untold numbers of adults spend years in therapy working through how to handle emotions related to "traumatic" experiences...and yet people are willing to throw a 12 yr old to the hands of the system for something that may not have been intentional.

Placing blame comes so "easily" but let's make sure we place it where it should be placed.

*The mother who left a 2 yr old home to be watched by a 12 yr old and who didn't take her OWN child to the hospital in time for treatment
*The system for failing both of these children repeatedly by not removing them from the environment they were in

Nothing is black and white, nothing is ever simple and this is a prime example of what is wrong with today's society. I hope everyone who reads this story stops and thinks about the system and this society and how everyone has already failed these kids by NOT taking action to help them.

There's still time to take some action and HELP one of them instead of writing them both off for dead. If the people do not speak up, nothing will change....
Old 10-10-2011, 06:43 PM

what last i new the brain is full groun at 25 and fron thare is all doun hill but thats what i recall reading at least were you hear 27 from just wondering so i may read up if new info or something but yes this is a sad case of injustice in the us the mad war for tuffer justice and tuff on crime has hit harder then it ever should have and the way it is going dose not look to be geting better soon poor kid i cant even think of standing trial let lone that yong and for that sort of crime where it can be the rest my life what a nightmare this is bad a nuff in kids courts but as a adult in adult court it be cruil to send him to prison in a adult prison he would not even be abel to be with other inmates till is is 18 thats a lot of years in solitary if your only 12 going in not that it should even get that fare in the first places it is cases like this one that make me ashamed to be part of this country at times or at least a shame to what it stands for that and justice in and of itself at that oh what shame we have brout to the name of lady justice and the us god help this poor boy all that comes to mind is the song queen rote boheemen rap city grate song but a vary sad trueth for are time
Old 10-10-2011, 11:34 PM

Thanked 1,238 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay L. Bird View Post

Ok I don't understand what you don't understand. She never said that he did not do it and if I am reading the post right, if you are praying for the mother of the child that was killed, then you are also praying for the mother of the child that did the killing, were they not brothers or did I miss something???
Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 AM

This is too horrible to comprehend, i pray they get some help for this boy.

what is it with all these children taking lives? what possess them to do such a thing?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Banned

WOW....i have a 11yr and a 3yr, i could'nt imagine going through this, i sending my prayers to this mother, no words can explain what this woman is going through.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,933 Posts

God am I sick of hearing "tough on crime" when what we really mean is that some people are not considered worth rehabilitation and should just be locked up and have the key thrown away.
This poor kid never had the intervention and help he needed and probably never will :-(
Add this to my list of things I am disgusted with my governement about,in addition to all the "gang validations" and new shu units,in addition to placing rivals in the same cells to "work it out" and ending in the death of inmates,in addition to letting inmates die of heat stroke,in addition to cutting out meals and calling it "brunch"etc...We pride ourselves on having a great nation but it is fast going down hill by the looks of the "justice" sysytem!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheryl P. For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 12:24 PM

I feel for this kid. I know what it is like to be incarcerated as an adult. When I was 15 I robbed a store and was tried and sent to prison as an adult in Alabama. That was in 1977. I was 17 when I got out of there and felt lucky to be alive. I made the most of it though and went to work and have lived a good life ever since. The fact that I have not been back to prison shows that even "troubled" kids can learn to be productive citizens.
Words cannot describe the fear this kid is going through. I knew right away that I was in a cage with 100 big gorillas any of whom could squish me like an ant anytime they felt like it.....or rape me, or just take my stuff or whatever! You have to experience fear like that to understand it. And on top of that is the fear this kid has of NEVER getting out! I hope he doesn't commit suicide......at least until or if that happens. I pray for a good outcome in the end like mine. Be strong, kid.
The Following User Says Thank You to KerVarnedoe For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (07-07-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 05:41 PM
BirdandAlexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl P. View Post
God am I sick of hearing "tough on crime" when what we really mean is that some people are not considered worth rehabilitation and should just be locked up and have the key thrown away.
This poor kid never had the intervention and help he needed and probably never will :-(
Add this to my list of things I am disgusted with my governement about,in addition to all the "gang validations" and new shu units,in addition to placing rivals in the same cells to "work it out" and ending in the death of inmates,in addition to letting inmates die of heat stroke,in addition to cutting out meals and calling it "brunch"etc...We pride ourselves on having a great nation but it is fast going down hill by the looks of the "justice" sysytem!
They should put the mother in prison. It's our jobs as mothers to be responsible for our children. Its crazy that they would try him as an adult.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdAndAlexis

They should put the mother in prison. It's our jobs as mothers to be responsible for our children. Its crazy that they would try him as an adult.
Bull you must not have any kids I am very over protective I don't do drug no criminal record at all but my son does what he feels I've tired whipping talking and therapy nothing has helped he has his mind set he has to learn the hard way I'm not doing time for anybody else's crime I have two other child who are very well behaved
Old 07-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

I agree with the above poster. I think genetics (nature) has a lot more to do with how kids turn out than upbringing (nurture). People are so quick to blame the parents when a kid acts out, but some kids are just born to be rebels.

Take myself and my younger brother. He's a total conformist who always followed the rules and did well in school, went on to college and graduated. I, on the other hand, dropped out of school in 9th Grade and ended up spending time in both the juvenile and adult lock-ups in my teenage years. I was a non-conformist who had issues with authority from a VERY young age.

You can have two kids raised by the same loving parents who turn out to be completely different as they grow up. If its not environment, its got to be biology. That doesn't mean parents shouldn't try more extreme interventions when needed, but parents shouldn't shoulder all the blame when kids go wrong either.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:32 PM
BirdandAlexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful View Post
Bull you must not have any kids I am very over protective I don't do drug no criminal record at all but my son does what he feels I've tired whipping talking and therapy nothing has helped he has his mind set he has to learn the hard way I'm not doing time for anybody else's crime I have two other child who are very well behaved
I do have a child. Who I take care of. Did you read the full report on this matter. The child in the story didn't have any caregiving. No proper upbringing or protection. Our children are our rsponsibility. To protect and teach. If not, then u leave it to the state. Which is what happened here.