Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Execution Watch > Stays of Execution
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Stays of Execution Details of stays, commutations or other delays to scheduled executions.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:05 PM

That is so good to hear that he's taking this well. I've been thinking a lot about him, not knowing if I should be happy for him or feel sorry for him. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well too. He did accomplish a lot, and his case helped stir up much discussion about the death penalty - the discussion that needs to be had.

When you see him, make sure you give him a big ol' hug from all of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to RainyCola For This Useful Post:
barellano (11-27-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2011, 06:10 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,880 Posts

Glad I was here to help you. Please contact me anytime as I know you're going to stick with Gary through this journey. Much love to you both.
The Following User Says Thank You to mammastalkin For This Useful Post:
barellano (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyCola View Post
That is so good to hear that he's taking this well. I've been thinking a lot about him, not knowing if I should be happy for him or feel sorry for him. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well too. He did accomplish a lot, and his case helped stir up much discussion about the death penalty - the discussion that needs to be had.

When you see him, make sure you give him a big ol' hug from all of us.
I will , he is taking it very well but still wants the execution a lot of Oregonian;s are angry at the Governor and are trying to get enough signatures to oust him so the story continues , I have no idea how it will end but I am beyond happy that we will get to go see him!!
As always thank you for being supportive!!!!!
Starr
Old 11-27-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esu96kph View Post
Even though this was not what he wanted, it's great news for Gary. The main positive that can come out of this is that the dp is stopped and death row closed down for good.

Unfortunately death row has not been closed down, they just refuse to do any executions while this Governor is in office, all the men are still on the row. You would think the Governor would have to commute the sentances to life with no parole and send them back to general population but he has not even said any thing about that , seems very one sided and not fair. Gary's journey is not over and we don't know what will happen next but he does know that what ever happens I will be there for him cuz I love him to the end and on.
Starr
Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastalkin View Post
Wow! If only more Governors would stand up for what they believe in. I'll send him a card--I know this isn't what he wanted. If he were treated in a more humane way he'd be okay, I think. Maybe they'll abolish the D/P and he can move back to GP.

I don't know if Gary going back into general population would be a good thing, there he would have acsess to drugs again and when on drugs he is a dangerous man and might kill again. Sober Gary is a nice, caring, loving man , the brother I know. As much as he would like to get off the row I am really concerned that he may go back to his old ways and not be the brother I know. I don't want to see him take another life or get back on drugs.
Starr
Old 11-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Then our prisons need to do a better job at controlling the flow of contraband and providing counciling and addiction services to prisoners. We can do better! Poor administration is not an excuse to cruelly treat prisoners.
The Following User Says Thank You to mammastalkin For This Useful Post:
barellano (12-04-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM

Dear Barellano,

I am happy to hear your good news about Gary. Congratulations on being able to see him.

Your situation really hits home for me. I feel compassion and empathy because I was in a similar situation. I mean that I was prevented by the authorities from ending my own life. As in your situation, there was someone who cared about me, and did not want me to die. For a thousand nights I prayed I would go to sleep and never wake up.

At that time, I was unable to consider the feelings of the person who cared about me because I wanted to escape from my life so much. I was unable to feel or see the conflict. But, it was a terrible conflict because I put my feelings before hers, and she tried to put her feelings before mine. And there were the wishes of society which neither of us cared about, but which ultimately had all the power and applied it by proxy through the justice system.

Since there was some publicity about the case, there were people on both sides who used it to further their own ideology and self-interest under the cover of moral arguments. This proved to be too stressful for us.

Through this experience, I have concluded (so far in my life) that we are not completely free to end our own lives because we are connected to society whether we like it or not. Even though we did not choose to be born, we are a part of society and it is our duty to try to contribute in some way. We can not just leave everyone else "holding the bag."

I truly wish that your can resolve your situation in a way that gives you some peace of mind because I know how difficult it was for us.

-c
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craig_hope For This Useful Post:
barellano (12-03-2011), mammastalkin (12-01-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_hope View Post
Dear Barellano,

I am happy to hear your good news about Gary. Congratulations on being able to see him.

Your situation really hits home for me. I feel compassion and empathy because I was in a similar situation. I mean that I was prevented by the authorities from ending my own life. As in your situation, there was someone who cared about me, and did not want me to die. For a thousand nights I prayed I would go to sleep and never wake up.

At that time, I was unable to consider the feelings of the person who cared about me because I wanted to escape from my life so much. I was unable to feel or see the conflict. But, it was a terrible conflict because I put my feelings before hers, and she tried to put her feelings before mine. And there were the wishes of society which neither of us cared about, but which ultimately had all the power and applied it by proxy through the justice system.

Since there was some publicity about the case, there were people on both sides who used it to further their own ideology and self-interest under the cover of moral arguments. This proved to be too stressful for us.

Through this experience, I have concluded (so far in my life) that we are not completely free to end our own lives because we are connected to society whether we like it or not. Even though we did not choose to be born, we are a part of society and it is our duty to try to contribute in some way. We can not just leave everyone else "holding the bag."

I truly wish that your can resolve your situation in a way that gives you some peace of mind because I know how difficult it was for us.

-c

Hi thanks for your kind words! I feel no peace in my heart and neither does Gary , I don't know what will happen next but this is a crazy emotional journey that I have promised to stay on with my brother. I love him unconditionally but I don;t love the crime's he committed. Our Governor should have said his feelings on the death penalty while he was running for office , I know I would not have voted for him if he had been open about it. There are a lot of Gary hater's out there but I am now seeing a lot of Oregonians that want the Governor out of office. I have had to stop reading all the comments after news store's because some people are so ignorant it makes me sick. How did you resolve your feelings? I can't seem to find a way for mine I am angry and devastated at the same time, Gary is taking this better than I am he keeps telling me to chill it will work out how ever it is meant to be and that he love's me and does not want me all stressed out because I have some big health problems and he is worried that I will get sicker. He always thinks of me , his half sister and a very dear mutual friend of ours that was around when we were in foster care together . I feel like I am rambling so I will go but would like to know how you were able to get your mind set to where it is now . I don't know how .
thank you!!
Starr/B.Arellano ( all my friends and family including Gary call me Starr)
The Following User Says Thank You to barellano For This Useful Post:
chococreme (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barellano View Post
I don't know if Gary going back into general population would be a good thing, there he would have acsess to drugs again and when on drugs he is a dangerous man and might kill again. Sober Gary is a nice, caring, loving man , the brother I know. As much as he would like to get off the row I am really concerned that he may go back to his old ways and not be the brother I know. I don't want to see him take another life or get back on drugs.
Starr
Dear Starr,

I just want to let you know that Gary (and you, ofcourse!!) is in my thoughts and prayers! I follow his case for about a few months now and sent him a card to let him know I'm thinking of him. I'm far, far away from you (Netherlands) but please know I think about you a lot!!

With love, and if there's anything I can do, please let me know.
Colinde.
The Following User Says Thank You to chococreme For This Useful Post:
barellano (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Default Gary

Hi I find it very comforting to know that people as far away as the Netherlands would think of Gary and I!!! This is hard but I am working at keeping a positive attitude and I look forward to every phone call and letter and he said we should be approved for visits with in a week so I really look forward to that. Gary also has a half sister Rita and I have reached out to her to try to be helpfull during all of this mess. Who knows how many years this will drag on.
Thank you,
sincerely. Starr/B.Arellano
Old 12-06-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Hi thanks for your kind words! I feel no peace in my heart and neither does Gary , I don't know what will happen next but this is a crazy emotional journey that I have promised to stay on with my brother. I love him unconditionally but I don;t love the crime's he committed. Our Governor should have said his feelings on the death penalty while he was running for office , I know I would not have voted for him if he had been open about it. There are a lot of Gary hater's out there but I am now seeing a lot of Oregonians that want the Governor out of office. I have had to stop reading all the comments after news store's because some people are so ignorant it makes me sick. How did you resolve your feelings? I can't seem to find a way for mine I am angry and devastated at the same time, Gary is taking this better than I am he keeps telling me to chill it will work out how ever it is meant to be and that he love's me and does not want me all stressed out because I have some big health problems and he is worried that I will get sicker. He always thinks of me , his half sister and a very dear mutual friend of ours that was around when we were in foster care together . I feel like I am rambling so I will go but would like to know how you were able to get your mind set to where it is now . I don't know how .
thank you!!
Starr/B.Arellano ( all my friends and family including Gary call me Starr)
Dear Starr (Is it okay if I address you this way?),

First let me apologize for my late reply.

Yes, I am happy to share my experiences with you. I can see that you are struggling with many things and I hope you can find some ways to get some relief.

As in your situation, I struggled with the conflict between my own desire to escape from my own life and my girlfriend's desire that I continue to live. In the end, the conflict was mostly resolved because I changed. I mean I was able to adjust to my loss of freedom in prison. But, it took years for me to come to terms with it and I went through many difficult times.

I think that I was lucky that my personality was able to adjust to prison life because some people can not and I could easily have fallen into that group. Something inside me changed as I accepted my life. In spite of my difficult (brutal) childhood, I lost my contempt for society and much of my anger. I believe this was related to my ability to accept prison, but I am not sure it was cause and effect. I was lucky that I found an interest that gives my life meaning.

Maybe my acceptance of prison life resulted from natural hormonal changes from aging, or maybe there was a spark of good inside me, or maybe I was just able to adjust for reasons I will never understand.

As i mentioned, I was lucky because I found some things which interested me and gave my life meaning. Although, even now, I still struggle to find meaning in life.

I don't know if this answer is of any help. Please feel free to ask anything you wish.

I wish you the best.

-c
The Following User Says Thank You to craig_hope For This Useful Post:
barellano (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Question Gary Haugen

Hi, please call me Starr , thanks for asking !! How long have you been locked up? Gary can accept life in prison in his mind but if he were to go back to GP I am afraid he would take up drugs again and that could make him kill again, scares me. He still wants to keep fighting this but there really no other things he can do to get them to go through with the execution. He thinks his constitutioanl rights have been violated but the reporter that he has doing his personel story came out to interview me and said the lawyers she talked to said short of getting the Governor impeached there is nothing they can do ,I also talked to a lawyer here in the small town I live in and he told me the same thing. Ironically today is the day they were supposed to execute him , the news reporter was going to have her first interview with him but yesterday there was a huge fight like 50 guys so OSP went on lockdown and her visit was cancelled she had to reschedule it for friday, just seems wierd .
How long have you had your girlfriends support? Are u a lifer or will you or have you been parloed? What state are you in ? I always wonder how different the DOC is in other states my only experiances with DOC has been Oregon and Ilinois I have a couple of lifer friends from my days when I lived in Chicago and write to them a lot that DOC is much different than Oregon DOC. I am sure I will drive you nuts with a million questions as time goes on. But for now I think this is it. Thank you so much for sharing your experiances so openly with me!!! You mentioned getting older and hormones slowing down when does that happen Gary is 49 and is still pretty hot headed also he has been locked up since he was 19 he was raised in the DOC system so I dont know if he can change his way of looking at things, I hope he can I try to encourage him every time we talk.
Thank you!!!!!!! Starr
Old 12-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Donation Award 

Default Hi Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_hope View Post
As i mentioned, I was lucky because I found some things which interested me and gave my life meaning. Although, even now, I still struggle to find meaning in life.-c
Your posts are insightful, and show compassion. I'm glad you were able to find things to give your life meaning.

I totally understand dark days. And sometimes it seems those days just go on forever -- thankfully, those too shall pass, and there can be sunshine once again.

got my toes in the sand and a drink (water) in my hand
The Following User Says Thank You to Survivor Cat For This Useful Post:
barellano (12-07-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Donation Award 

Default hello starr

Starr -- I'm glad you'll be able to see your brother in person, once you get the visit approved. That will be a comfort to him, I'm certain, to see a friendly face. And a comfort to you as well, to support him face-to-face.

It must be a very conflicting/emotional rollercoaster you and your family have been on. Know this -- that people do have compassion, for you and Gary, and for the governor's decision, and for the victims' families as well.

In these times, I remind myself that this world is wild at heart, and weird on top -- these are strange times we live in, and who really knows what is just around the next corner.

Keep us posted.

got my toes in the sand and a drink (water) in my hand

Last edited by Survivor Cat; 12-06-2011 at 09:28 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Survivor Cat For This Useful Post:
barellano (12-09-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Buddy loves Shar

Hello Starr,
I have been following your brother's progress and I wanted to let you know that my heart and prayers goes to him and your family. Keep us posted on the status.

The Following User Says Thank You to swooden For This Useful Post:
barellano (12-09-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Hi, please call me Starr , thanks for asking !! How long have you been locked up? Gary can accept life in prison in his mind but if he were to go back to GP I am afraid he would take up drugs again and that could make him kill again, scares me. He still wants to keep fighting this but there really no other things he can do to get them to go through with the execution. He thinks his constitutioanl rights have been violated but the reporter that he has doing his personel story came out to interview me and said the lawyers she talked to said short of getting the Governor impeached there is nothing they can do ,I also talked to a lawyer here in the small town I live in and he told me the same thing. Ironically today is the day they were supposed to execute him , the news reporter was going to have her first interview with him but yesterday there was a huge fight like 50 guys so OSP went on lockdown and her visit was cancelled she had to reschedule it for friday, just seems wierd .
How long have you had your girlfriends support? Are u a lifer or will you or have you been parloed? What state are you in ? I always wonder how different the DOC is in other states my only experiances with DOC has been Oregon and Ilinois I have a couple of lifer friends from my days when I lived in Chicago and write to them a lot that DOC is much different than Oregon DOC. I am sure I will drive you nuts with a million questions as time goes on. But for now I think this is it. Thank you so much for sharing your experiances so openly with me!!! You mentioned getting older and hormones slowing down when does that happen Gary is 49 and is still pretty hot headed also he has been locked up since he was 19 he was raised in the DOC system so I dont know if he can change his way of looking at things, I hope he can I try to encourage him every time we talk.
Thank you!!!!!!! Starr
Dear Starr,

Thank you for your information and for sharing about the efforts you have made to help Gary.

Yes, please feel free to ask me a million questions if you like. I am happy if I can do anything to help.

I will try to answer your questions from your previous post:

I made parole after twenty four years in prison in California. I live in Northern California.

While incarcerated, my girlfriend stayed with me for nine years before moving on romantically. She continued to be my friend and still gives me moral support. I do whatever I can to help her whenever I am lucky enough to get that chance.

I was quite young when I was locked up and I did not appreciate the value of her support as much as I do now. I will never be able repay what she did for me.

Yes, I think the DOC is different in different states and implements its policies inconsistently within California.

To answer your question on how hormonal changes and aging affect aggression: I am no expert on this so please only take this as an opinion based on my observations when I was locked up. I think most guys reach their peak natural aggression level in their late teens or early twenties (although their level of violent behavior can increase after that age for other reasons). If several decades of aging has not provided some relief from unwanted feelings of hot headedness, then Gary's suffering might come more from his psychology and environment, than from unusually high hormone levels. (only my opinion)

I understand your fear about the problems we face from the extra freedom we get when transferring into general population.

I hope you are managing to cope. I wish you the best.

-c
barellano (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor Cat View Post
Your posts are insightful, and show compassion. I'm glad you were able to find things to give your life meaning.

I totally understand dark days. And sometimes it seems those days just go on forever -- thankfully, those too shall pass, and there can be sunshine once again.
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. It is nice to have.
barellano (12-08-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 AM

I was approved for visitation so today i am going to call OSP to set a date I can't wait to see him . Also a koin 6 new reporter did an interview of me ,Gary by phone and Rita Marie his half sister it was interesting. I never know what is around the next corner.
Starr
Old 12-10-2011, 03:06 PM

Default Gary Haugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastalkin View Post
Then our prisons need to do a better job at controlling the flow of contraband and providing counciling and addiction services to prisoners. We can do better! Poor administration is not an excuse to cruelly treat prisoners.

You are so right!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 03:10 PM

I want to thank each and every one of you for your kindness and emotional support that you have given me during this mess !!!! You are all amazing people it let's me have faith that there are still good people in the world! I hope all of you have a wonderfull holiday season. God bless each of you! This journey is far from over but it is nice to know when I am feeling lost and alone i can write it here and you all cheer me up!!!
Much love to all!! Starr
Old 12-15-2011, 11:44 AM

well here we go again, I really dislike OSP !! The news reporter was supposed to have a visit last friday , DOC cancelled it and would not give a reason, Gary has not called or sent any letter's in a week and that is not his normal routine. I don't know what OSP is doing to him. Frustrated is where I am at. We can not go see him till January because my husband has only had 5 days of work due to the ice on the roofs(he is a roofer) every day , so we dont have gas money and i need to find a pair of black jeans cuz every pair of pants I own are blue denim and they won't allow that because the inmates wear those colors I am so close to be able to see him and can't it makes me cry. Sorry if I sound like I am whining I am trying not to but I am so over whelmed with emotions it is insane. Any way just thought I would bring things up to date for all of you awesome people here that have helped me stay strong.
Starr
Old 12-22-2011, 05:17 PM

Gary called last night, he was saying how a lot of people that he thought were friends have just dropped out of his life since he will not be executed while this Governor is in office, he thinks they just wanted to be part of the media frenzy it made him really sad. I am glad he know's I am not one of those people ! I can't wait till the holidays are over and we get to go see him , He has talked with my 13 year old son Karlos who calls him Uncle Gary and Gary has been talking about playing the drum's, my son wants to learn to drum. Gary say's it does his heart good to have a youngster interested in his passion(drumming) and gives my son lots of good input. I try to find any way I can to keep his spirits up. Starr
The Following User Says Thank You to barellano For This Useful Post:
mammastalkin (12-30-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,589 Posts

Gary Haugen describes life on death row

Gary Haugen says each day at the Oregon State Penitentiary plays out in repetitive fashion, like a darker version of the movie "Groundhog Day."

He pins much of the blame for his fate on Gov. John Kitzhaber who canceled his scheduled Dec. 6 execution.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/arti...life-death-row

America - land of the free, home of the incarcerated.

The USA has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the the worlds prisoners.

Last edited by mammastalkin; 01-01-2012 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: made compliant with PTO fair use policy
The Following User Says Thank You to JJS811 For This Useful Post:
barellano (01-05-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,589 Posts

Convicted killer Gary Haugen to challenge governor's reprieve on execution.

http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local...duouBlSXw.cspx

America - land of the free, home of the incarcerated.

The USA has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the the worlds prisoners.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJS811 For This Useful Post:
barellano (01-05-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Oregon death row inmate Gary Haugen wants to die. He's "cool with it." In fact, he's so cool with it, he and his attorney have asked a state court to re-issue a death warrant, which would force the state to carry out his execution.
Read more here.
Thinking of you barellano.