Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 04-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,127 Times in 590 Posts
Question Leg moniters, TDCJ; does anyone know about them?

I am inquiring about the leg moniters and home monitering system that TDCJ has for parole requirements. Can anyone tell me what they do? How long to they leave them on for and so forth? Any information about this would greatly be appreciated. also if you don't know how can i find out? thanks in advance for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2004, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk2001
I am inquiring about the leg moniters and home monitering system that TDCJ has for parole requirements. Can anyone tell me what they do? How long to they leave them on for and so forth? Any information about this would greatly be appreciated. also if you don't know how can i find out? thanks in advance for all your help.
They put this box in your home, I'm not sure if it is hooked directly to police or just parole, but it will monitor if he is late or leaves before his curfew. The time varies for each person, could be 60 or 120 days, or the duration of their parole. I know this was very sketchy, maybe someone will come along soon and give a much more detailed explanation.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:44 PM

I do not know but a great thread, I am interested in.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

yes i have searched through out this place and didnt find much at all about it. i am doing a parole packet and want to use this with provisions of release. giving the board some different options. thanks for all your input. i want to learn more about it.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:24 PM

Parole Division
Contract Information - Electronic Monitoring

BI, Incorporated

David Hunter, President/CEO

6400 Lookout Road

Boulder, CO 80301

PH: (800) 241-2911

FAX: (303) 581-2261 OR

BI, Incorporated Regional Office

JoAnn Jackson, Texas Acct. Mgr.

4324 Barnett

Ft. Worth, TX 76103

PH: (817) 531-1268

FAX: (817) 531-1269

Specialized Programs -

What is the Super-Intensive Supervision Program?
The Super-Intensive Supervision Program (SISP) was created by the 75th Legislature to provide the level of supervision and monitoring for potentially dangerous offenders that will best protect public safety. SISP is the highest level of supervision provided by the Parole Division. All offenders on SISP are supervised on some form of electronic monitoring. Offenders on SISP are required to comply with 24 hour-a-day schedules, which must be pre-approved in writing by their Parole Officer.

The Parole Division uses Global Position Satellites (GPS) to perform electronic monitoring of high profile cases that are supervised 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The offender remains in the program for their term of supervision or until removed administratively by the Parole Division Director. In January, 2004, there were twenty-four offenders under GPS supervision.

Who decides which offenders are supervised on SISP caseloads?
Before being released on parole or mandatory supervision, offenders who meet one or more of the following criteria are referred to a panel of Board of Pardons and Paroles members for consideration for placement on SISP:

Current or past conviction for an offense that involved an act of violence;
Current or past conviction for an attempted version of any offense that involved an act of violence resulting in bodily injury; or
Current or past conviction, including juvenile convictions, for any offense involving the threat of an act of violence that could result in bodily injury.
If an offender has already been released on supervision but otherwise meets one of the above criteria, the offender may be referred to the Board for consideration for placement on SISP if the Director of the Parole Division and the Chairman of the Board both recommend the referral. The Board Panel makes the final decision on SISP placement.

Are sex offenders supervised on SISP?
Yes, in some cases. Any sex offenders on SISP are required to participate in sex offender treatment programs and comply with all other aspects of sex offender supervision as well as the components of the Super-Intensive Supervision Program.

How is SISP different than the supervision of other caseloads?
Offenders on SISP are supervised by specially trained Parole Officers with caseload ratios of 14 SISP offenders per officer. Officers are required to complete 15 total contacts each month: six face-to-face, six drive-by, and one home verification. Technical violations committed by offenders supervised on SISP are not subject to the division’s policy regarding the enforcement of graduated sanctions.

SISP Parole Officers respond to all violations and request parole violation warrants 24 hours-a-day, seven days a week. All SISP offenders are supervised on electronic monitoring.

How long are offenders required to remain on SISP?
Offenders remain in the Super-Intensive Supervision Program until they discharge their term of supervision or until the designated Board Panel votes to remove the "SISP" special condition and allow the offender to be placed on a different type of caseload.

What is Electronic Monitoring?
Electronic Monitoring (EM) is a technology that supplements the ability of the officer to supervise offenders TDCJ to protect public safety by providing an additional surveillance tool to the parole officer. The Parole Board and field staff use EM as a sanction for offenders requiring a higher level of supervision than normal supervision provides. It can also be used as a cost-effective alternative to incarceration for offenders who do not pose an apparent threat to public safety. Initiated in Texas in 1987 through authorization by the 70th Legislature, EM was placed in Bexar, Dallas, El Paso, Harris, Tarrant, and Travis counties. In January, 2004, there were 56 locations around the State of Texas where EM was in use.

There are two types of EM in use in Texas:

Continuous The offender wears a radio transmitter around the ankle. A receiving unit hooked to a telephone line is placed in the home of the offender . The receiving unit picks up the signal from the ankle transmitter as long as the offender is within a specified range. Should the offender go beyond that range, a central monitoring station is alerted by the home receiver. The central monitoring station then alerts the Parole Officer to respond to the violation.

Drive By The offender wears the transmitter around the ankle. The parole officer monitors the offender by means of a portable, hand held receiver. This receiver can detect an ankle transmitter in most locations. This allows the officer to do surveillance even when the offender is not at home.

The Specialized Programs Section can monitor up to 700 offender on continuous or drive-by radio frequency monitoring and up to 100 offender by voice monitoring.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:29 PM

The radio transmitter will cost the offender approximatly $13.00 per week for the privilage to wear it, at least here in the state of Texas.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:48 AM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

my husband isnt a violant offender or sex offender. he just has two revocations with some drug charges. from what i read this wouldnt be applicible to him. i am looking for suggestions to the board for release on his firt review. his original crime in 94 was auto theft. does anyone know if he would qualify for this?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:01 AM

My husband had a leg monitor about 5 years ago. It was set up with the phone. It is very difficult to not pull the plug on the phone when you're in the middle of a huge fight! Just kidding ! There are certain times that the system checks over the phone line and if you are on the phone it can't get through so you have to be careful. He knew how many feet he could go so he had his little outside area set up within the distance, etc.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Kerri
Old 04-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

thanks all. key jo was he a violant offender? i wanted to suggest this to the board for a alternative to be paroled. but he isnt a violant offender just has more than one revocation.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Been here forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2
The radio transmitter will cost the offender approximatly $13.00 per week for the privilage to wear it, at least here in the state of Texas.
yup. and they do hook it up to police too, or at least here they done it
Old 04-08-2004, 11:03 AM

Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,448 Posts

Have they gone back to BI for the contract? I knew from talking with JoAnn a few years back that the contract was bid out to another company...I want to say it was a subsidiary of Ameritech that was handling the work.

If it is BI, then I may be able to answer some of the more specific questions since I still have one of their procedures manuals laying around...never could procure one of the manuals from whoever the other company was.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:33 AM

I pulled this info right off the TDCJ site....

kath