Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona DOC - What You Need to Know > Arizona Prison Phones & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Arizona Prison Phones & Mail Use this forum to discuss Arizona prison Phones & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the Arizona forum.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Default Using netTalk for phone service

This is an honest report. I am the father of an inmate, now at the Yuma Prison. I live in Phoenix and have been trying for a couple of years to find a reliable, cheaper system for phone calls than the expensive ( about $7/call) collect calls through CBS (now Securus). I think that I have found one.
There is a company called netTalk (find them at nettalk.com). They sell a small device called the Duo. It's nominal price is about $70 which includes unlimited calls throughout the U. S. and Canada for one year. After that it is $30/year. I found several discount codes, tried a couple which didn't work. But, when I called them, I got a 25% discount just by asking. Connect it to your router and plug in a phone and it works even when the computer is off. You can also connect it to a computer.
After connecting it you register it on-line and choose a phone number. I picked one in the local area code for Yuma. Then I set up that number with a pre-paid account with Securus/CBS. My son got the number approved by the prison. Last night he used it for the first time, making two 15 minute calls. Since the number is a local one from the prison, they each cost only $1.73. So far, so good

Last edited by irvingkolodin; 04-08-2011 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: mis-spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the update...but you may run into problems soon. What you have is a 3rd party line...it's routed through your computer....just like magic jack.

A few people have tried these and it works for a few calls and then gets blocked.

So far, from what I have read, researched, etc for the last year....the ONLY way to get calls consistantly IS either thru a land line or cell phone and of course Serecus/CBS.

The best route is to get a local cell phone number for what-ever prison your loved one is located...only issue is if the DOC makes their famous...'move for no reason' decisions.

Of course, there is also the exception of setting up your land line (CBS approval) and getting all collect calls billed directly through Qwest or Cox. My bf's mom has Cox and gets calls billed directly on her account, and STILL has restrictions every month with calls.

I, on the other hand, have pre-paid on my cell and have never been restricted (assuming I have $$ on the lines)

If this service continues to work for you, please let us know...trust me, I'll change in heart beat...but not willing to take a chance and get blocked!!!

It takes way too much time to get numbers approved and re-approved!!!

Thanks!

PG

Last edited by Paulie'sGirl; 04-12-2011 at 12:40 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie'sGirl For This Useful Post:
His Beloved (04-12-2011), LadeeInWaiting (04-13-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 01:47 PM

Default Whether the NetTALK Duo Qualifies as 3rd Party Telephone Setup is Debatable

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvingkolodin View Post
This is an honest report. I am the father of an inmate, now at the Yuma Prison. I live in Phoenix and have been trying for a couple of years to find a reliable, cheaper system for phone calls than the expensive ( about $7/call) collect calls through CBS (now Securus). I think that I have found one.
There is a company called netTalk (find them at nettalk.com). They sell a small device called the Duo. It's nominal price is about $70 which includes unlimited calls throughout the U. S. and Canada for one year. After that it is $30/year. I found several discount codes, tried a couple which didn't work. But, when I called them, I got a 25% discount just by asking. Connect it to your router and plug in a phone and it works even when the computer is off. You can also connect it to a computer.
After connecting it you register it on-line and choose a phone number. I picked one in the local area code for Yuma. Then I set up that number with a pre-paid account with Securus/CBS. My son got the number approved by the prison. Last night he used it for the first time, making two 15 minute calls. Since the number is a local one from the prison, they each cost only $1.73. So far, so good
Hopefully you won't run into the same kind of luck I did after talking with my son over several days. The middleman (same as yours: securustech) started dropping the calls after informing me via recording that "three way calls are not allowed, this call will be terminated" these company's really stick together, they love the hell out of the status-quo...

Third party phone bans were originally implimented to eliminate conference type calls and calls that ment to beat the system out of over-priced high rates... What phone company's and middlemen charged Family's to talk with incarcerated Loved ones in the past amounted to a form of extortion.
Its like this: Poor John Doe = working stiff finally gets a fricken break, he can eliminate one of the monthly bills, the phone bill, and maybe, just maybe, afford high-speed internet or DSL.. So with high-speed, you can get a device like the NetTALK Duo, and,,, unlike the Magicjack (PC REQUIRED), the Duo plugs right into a router ethernet port, otherwise known as an rj-45 jack (similar to rj-11 phone jack).

They try to push the point that the Duo is a 3rd party phone device, don't except it, its not.. It is a Legitimate; Voice over Internet Phone (VoIP). Last year NetTALK didn't have any way to buy credit minutes for over-seas calls OR (I don't know if it'll work yet but I intend on trying it), or, reverse charges/collect calls, now they do have this available. We have to stick to our damn guns or they'll just keep piling on, never taking anything off, eventually we're going to be crushed-to-death!

Last edited by 2lives2fly; 08-19-2011 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: More suited for the remark after this one