Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Georgia General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia subforum.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 PM

Default Early release for inmates

I talk to a hearing examiner about the rumor to inmates getting let out of prison by june 1st. She said that was not true. I was told that the rule is 1/3.
kae (04-14-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2011, 03:47 PM

The 1/3 is definitely not true in our situation. My husband has served over 2/3 of his time and is 10 months away from his max out date and they just made a decision on his parole. I called today and they could not tell me because they have to notify him first.
The Following User Says Thank You to cojoni97 For This Useful Post:
kae (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 05:01 PM

I hate when they say that, The parole board made a mistake when determining my husband tpm, we had to appeal it and they finally answered us and said that they had made a mistake and will correct it, this will put him over for either a work release program or to home, when I called today the lady said that they had fixed his parole but could not tell me because they have to notifiy him first Which I think is so crazy..... notifing me is like letting him know, we talked every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoni97 View Post
The 1/3 is definitely not true in our situation. My husband has served over 2/3 of his time and is 10 months away from his max out date and they just made a decision on his parole. I called today and they could not tell me because they have to notify him first.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Default Early Release

I have a question I am hoping someone can help with. My husband has once again heard rumors that the state of Georgia is about to pass a law concerning 2 for 1. It has been said that all prisoners will be granted 2 for 1 days except those with a life without parole sentence no matter the charge. This time the information came from the warden. He has been told that the law will go into effect June 1, 2011. It will not be retroactive but will start that date. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to prove this rumor?

I HATE that he contantly gets his hopes up over these things...
Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Donation Award 

Hey there Zebsbaby,

Concern29 called the parole board a couple of weeks ago and there will be no mass release at the June 1st mark. Every year without fail early release rumors circulate in the spring and during the Christmas holidays. They are never substantiated in writing from the DOC, parole board, press, nor Governor. Someone usually says some warden or counselor says this but I have yet to see an actual loved one have direct contact with said counselor/warden.

It sucks that so many people get their hopes up on hearsay. My advice to everyone is if you don't personally see it in writing DO NOT believe it.

Welcome to the GA forum. I hope you stick around.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:39 PM

I understand what you are saying about the rumors are always coming out about early release but I did personally speak with my bf counselor and she did say that it was true that they are going to have to let people go starting in June. Now she did not go into any details in depth but she did say it was true and that was all she would say.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 AM

Default Not true, unfortunnately.

Having just been released yesterday, never heard anything like this. Chalk it up to "chain gang rumour". GA does NOT give 2 for 1 for anything. I was even on an outside work detail for my whole sentence and did not get 2 for 1.

Further, if you have a sentence of 2-3 years or less, you are NOT getting paroled, you will probably do all of the time. The GDC considers those "short sentences" so your case is not even reviewed and you will probably not get a grid. Most of the 4 years sentences I knew did most of their time (3+ years) however, once you get up to 5 years you have a good chance of making the 1/3 of your time, so long as you're not a violent offender. Parole is not fun, though, from what I hear, but a release is a release.

Parole consideration does vary, though, depending upon split sentences vs. straight time, it seems from my observations. You can't get a straight answer from anyone in the GDC or Parole Board, the employees/staff there probably know less than I do about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to CookieJarBill For This Useful Post:
kae (04-26-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieJarBill View Post
Having just been released yesterday, never heard anything like this. Chalk it up to "chain gang rumour". GA does NOT give 2 for 1 for anything. I was even on an outside work detail for my whole sentence and did not get 2 for 1.

Further, if you have a sentence of 2-3 years or less, you are NOT getting paroled, you will probably do all of the time. The GDC considers those "short sentences" so your case is not even reviewed and you will probably not get a grid. Most of the 4 years sentences I knew did most of their time (3+ years) however, once you get up to 5 years you have a good chance of making the 1/3 of your time, so long as you're not a violent offender. Parole is not fun, though, from what I hear, but a release is a release.

Parole consideration does vary, though, depending upon split sentences vs. straight time, it seems from my observations. You can't get a straight answer from anyone in the GDC or Parole Board, the employees/staff there probably know less than I do about it.
I have a great-niece whose husband was sentenced to 2yrs. Landed at Coastal 10/28/10 and paroled out 2 weeks ago ( April 2011 ). His was a violent crime ( terroristic threats and acts) and still made parole on a 2 yr sentence. I guess some are just luckier than others !!! Oh, and BTW , he rec'd 5 months jail time credit. Still he didn't do the 2 yrs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fretful53 For This Useful Post:
lifetime76 (04-25-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 AM

I'm not saying that's not true, but it doesn't jive with anything I've seen/heard/read during the two years I was serving, especially for a supposed violent crime.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CookieJarBill For This Useful Post:
LORNA (04-27-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 AM

I guess the only thing we can say for certain that we know about is our own personal experiences with the GDC. Our own personal experiences does not mean that we know everything there is to know about the GDC. Every situation is different. Even current/former inmates are not an authority. They can only give their experiences which can differ from another inmate's experience.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:32 AM

I never said I was an AUTHORITY, only what I have witnessed and experienced. You'll notice in every posting I make I mention what I have seen or known from MY prison and what staff members of the GDC at my prison have told me. We and others are only trying to help you in not getting your hopes up and tell you what you may need to expect, if your loved one is released, than all the better for everyone involved.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:10 AM

I was told that every inmate situation is different and I do listen to the rumors because false hope is good hope for me. I do have something to go on in moy own mind. My husband has a straight 9 and his 1/3 is in 2012 on a probation violation and its considered a violent offense, so whats his chances. Oh his security level has drop, no drs, and on work detail.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 AM

I would say on a straight sentence his chances are VERY GOOD of making his 1/3. I would keep checking on it, though, to make sure.