Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation & Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal Probation & Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 PM

Question Fbop Halfway house or home monitoring?

Oka I am trying to figure all this out and need some help. My husband is in a Fbop Satellite camp in Indiana. He was sentenced to 24 months I believe( I keeping getting it mixed up because we always talk in terms of his good time release date) which he would have to do 18 months of. His Good time release date is jan 8th 2012.

They told us when he went in he was approved for release to home monitoring...and our understanding was on Jan 8th he would come home from the prison for that. So now as time has passed and he is getting more info on the process...mostly from other prisoners mind you...he is stating he may have to go to a half way house for awhile first and the release date for that should be even earlier then Jan8th...then on the 8th he will be released from the half way house( if they say it is oka) to our home for home confinement.

I tried contacting his probation officer he had during the pretrial phase but she has since transferred to another district ...and I have no idea who to call.

So can someone please explain to me how all this works...and the release dates for a half way house and the different date of home monitoring? Or in general how this process works? My husband thinks its a percentage of his full sentenced time for each and then you count backwards....but we are just lost and just trying to get a handle on whats going on so we can plan accordingly.

Any help is appreciated

Tamie
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 AM

I do believe that you have it correct, but please confirm with his PO. He may have to go to the halfway house & obtain employment before getting home confinment. My baby's release is in December, but he's going to HWH in June. Once he obtains employment, in a few months he should be on home confinement as well. Good luck..
Old 03-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Fairy Fed Mother

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,392 Posts

There usually isn't a set date of going from HWH to HC because it hinges on many factors...such as employment and any programs required by probation to be completed. The good time date is the date he should be fully released from the BOP, this INCLUDES HWH time and HC time. So I would count back 3-6 months from the good time date and that should be the time he goes to HWH or HC. I would have him ask his counselor these questions. That person should know how much HWH time he should get.

GO BULLS!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Csmcgrl23 For This Useful Post:
bellisq (04-06-2011), tamieTrue (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Well if that's the case it would be good news.He already has employment set up...the trick is he works from home ...he works for a company based in florida, he handles all their web design,marketing and internet sales.
He is saying he cant talk to his counselor for another 2 month...their is some kind of rule with that.

If his PO officer has transferred how do I find out who his new one is?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Fairy Fed Mother

I don't think you'll know that until you are contacted for the home approval side of things.

GO BULLS!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 PM
PTO Research Assistant

Staff Superstar Award RA Training 

Donation Award 

Thanked 9,012 Times in 5,502 Posts

The half way house and home confinement happen before his release date. He will technically still be in BOP custody, but under "community control". He will begin supervised release (probation) on Jan 8,2012. The terms and conditions of the probation will be set by his PO and could be as minimal as only having to file a monthly report, or as strict as requiring him to wear a GPS ankle monitor. He will be advised of what he needs to do by the probation officer, who doesn't have jurisdiction until his release date. A clue as to how strict his probation conditions will be is on his judgement & commitment order, which lists any "special conditions".

I went to a HWH 3 months before my release date and was sent to home confinement by them 3 weeks later. One other thing, probation will have to inspect (and approve) your house and the other residents of your house, before he can move there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Csmcgrl23 (03-24-2011), tamieTrue (03-24-2011), Willie'sQueen (04-06-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Default Thanks and another question.

That sound more like what my we thought...so will the special condition be on his sentencing paper work from the courts or where will I find that...he is in on a wire fraud charge but if he hadn't been suffering depression and his alcoholism in full swing it would never have happened. He is taking a class in the prison on alcoholism now he thinks that will cover it so we wont have to do any when he gets out...that really didn't make sense to me because he is not out in the real world dealing with it yet...so it's just not realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The half way house and home confinement happen before his release date. He will technically still be in BOP custody, but under "community control". He will begin supervised release (probation) on Jan 8,2012. The terms and conditions of the probation will be set by his PO and could be as minimal as only having to file a monthly report, or as strict as requiring him to wear a GPS ankle monitor. He will be advised of what he needs to do by the probation officer, who doesn't have jurisdiction until his release date. A clue as to how strict his probation conditions will be is on his judgement & commitment order, which lists any "special conditions".

I went to a HWH 3 months before my release date and was sent to home confinement by them 3 weeks later. One other thing, probation will have to inspect (and approve) your house and the other residents of your house, before he can move there.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
PTO Research Assistant

Staff Superstar Award RA Training 

Donation Award 

Thanked 9,012 Times in 5,502 Posts

The judgement and commitment order is part of his court file. It is the same form that lists his sentence and it is signed by the sentencing judge. It is also included in his BOP file, so he can get it from his counselor (but not his presentence report, which is also in the file but not permitted to be kept by the inmate). You can also get it from his attorney or from the clerk of the court where he was sentenced.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Fairy Fed Mother

Hmmmm...with wire fraud there might be an issue with him working a internet based job at home. That's for sure something you should check out.

GO BULLS!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 AM

If his release date is jan 8th 2012 from the bop, that means he will get out to the hwh 4 to 6 months prior to that. Depending on his PO, terms of HC, employment, getting the home approved and inspected, and other required procedures of HWH it could take atleast 3 to 4 weeks to get on HC.

As the person who will accept him, you have to do certain things to expedite the process once he gets closer to being released to HWH...to name a few 1)make sure the phone line is under your name with no call waiting features 2) you can provide one more utility bill under your name 3) if it is a computer related crime....no laptops allowed (desktop with monitoring will be allowed)...etc
Old 04-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamieTrue View Post
Oka I am trying to figure all this out and need some help. My husband is in a Fbop Satellite camp in Indiana. He was sentenced to 24 months I believe( I keeping getting it mixed up because we always talk in terms of his good time release date) which he would have to do 18 months of. His Good time release date is jan 8th 2012.

They told us when he went in he was approved for release to home monitoring...and our understanding was on Jan 8th he would come home from the prison for that. So now as time has passed and he is getting more info on the process...mostly from other prisoners mind you...he is stating he may have to go to a half way house for awhile first and the release date for that should be even earlier then Jan8th...then on the 8th he will be released from the half way house( if they say it is oka) to our home for home confinement.

I tried contacting his probation officer he had during the pretrial phase but she has since transferred to another district ...and I have no idea who to call.

So can someone please explain to me how all this works...and the release dates for a half way house and the different date of home monitoring? Or in general how this process works? My husband thinks its a percentage of his full sentenced time for each and then you count backwards....but we are just lost and just trying to get a handle on whats going on so we can plan accordingly.

Any help is appreciated

Tamie
Although there are some rare occasions when an inmate is sent directly home for house arrest, they usually have to go to a halfway house first. He will have to jump through the halfway house's rules before getting a furlough to come home to visit; and then jump through some more rules/hoops to get to come home and be on house arrest. There is no set time. It's up to the people at the halfway house as to when this occurs. Your house will have to be inspected prior to this happening, usually by a PO and someone from the halfway house. While he is living at home he probably will wear an ankle monitor at all times. The halfway house will call your house frequently to make certain he's there. There will also be visits from someone from the halfway house. Your husband will also have to report to the halfway house three to five times per week and may be required to attend counseling sessions on the weekends. As for who you can call, there's really no one. The people at the halfway house will not talk to you prior to your husband being assigned to them and the probation office is not really involved until BOP releases him from his sentence. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to downup28311 For This Useful Post:
tamieTrue (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Thanks so much...I guess its just breath and wait...I guess the FBOP doesn't want you even a little ahead of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downup28311 View Post
Although there are some rare occasions when an inmate is sent directly home for house arrest, they usually have to go to a halfway house first. He will have to jump through the halfway house's rules before getting a furlough to come home to visit; and then jump through some more rules/hoops to get to come home and be on house arrest. There is no set time. It's up to the people at the halfway house as to when this occurs. Your house will have to be inspected prior to this happening, usually by a PO and someone from the halfway house. While he is living at home he probably will wear an ankle monitor at all times. The halfway house will call your house frequently to make certain he's there. There will also be visits from someone from the halfway house. Your husband will also have to report to the halfway house three to five times per week and may be required to attend counseling sessions on the weekends. As for who you can call, there's really no one. The people at the halfway house will not talk to you prior to your husband being assigned to them and the probation office is not really involved until BOP releases him from his sentence. Hope this helps.