Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Default Headed to state jail.. What should I expect?

I will be sentenced in Houston on April 8 to do 12 months at a state jail. I would like to know what to expect, how long till im transferred from county and what i should wear into the jail, can i take anything with me like tshirts undies. I am a woman how is very scared of all this and just want some insight as to how it will go when im sentenced. also what about my family can i write them or call. should i take money in with me?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,488 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGONMYWAY View Post
I will be sentenced in Houston on April 8 to do 12 months at a state jail. I would like to know what to expect, how long till im transferred from county and what i should wear into the jail, can i take anything with me like tshirts undies. I am a woman how is very scared of all this and just want some insight as to how it will go when im sentenced. also what about my family can i write them or call. should i take money in with me?
im sorry that i dont have solid answers for you as im on the "family" side, but i would suggest leaving some funds with a family member to put on your books once you're settled since im pretty sure you can't take money in with you.

good luck to you...God bless.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 PM

Default Can Someone tell me what to expect and how to prepare for State Jail In Tx.

Can I bring money, underclothes, anything? How long till I get transferred from harris county to state jail ?and will that time count towards my state jail time? what state jail will i go to? what do you do on a daily basis in state jail, other than time? how do i contact my family? Someone please give some insight on these questions...
Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

You can’t bring any money, they take it along with all your personal belongings, such as clothes, jewelery, anything of value; this all gets kept for you until your release.

You will go to a facility for processing and then onto a state prison for assessment, the time frame is something I can’t speak of. Once you’re in jail you can write family via snail mail, phone calls are allowed but each facility has different rules on that.

You are issued clothes once you enter a facility, from there you get the minimal necessities for personal hygiene and the rest is up to you. As someone pointed out it’s best to have someone put money in your personal account, that’s what you us to purchase items from the commissary if needed. TDCJ provides the very basics so this is recommended. From there you get a job assignment that you perform Mon-Fri, weekends off. Other than that the drama in women’s prisons is your biggest obstacle, avoid the drama and do your time is strongly suggested.

I’m sure others will come along and give better details.

Last edited by Back12draft; 03-08-2011 at 07:31 PM..
Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 PM

Default state jail input

Hey, thanks for that information. I think its the fear of the unknown that gets me the most.
What do they assign you to do for work? Do you know if I can bring anything to Harris county jail while waiting to go to the state jail? and do u have any idea how long it will take me to get transferred to a state jail from Harris county once I am sentenced?
How does jpay work and when can I use it? in county or state???
Sorry for all the questions, i figure this is the place to ask...
Thanks Again,
Pamala
Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

Thanked 4,122 Times in 972 Posts

The hardest part is waiting and not knowing what to expect. I know that it seems like more than you can handle just right now. Know that there are other women less than yourself who have gone through the same thing you’re about to face and they made it. If they can do it then you can do it. It’s just that simple. No one is going to put barbeque sauce on you and then roast you over a hot fire for supper some night.

I haven’t done time with women, but I’ve done time around women…..if that makes any sense. I spent 2 years at Dawson State Jail here in Dallas and more than half the prisoners there are women so, from time to time I would see them as they went about the business of doing time. At times the hard part is waiting and at other times the gals you have to do time with will at some point rub you the wrong way. Yes, there are disagreements & confrontations to be considered, but consider them when they happen. Don’t allow the month that you have in front to do out here in the Free World to be a time that beats you down. You’re going to be gone for year; you’re not going to be gone forever.

Once you get in there, you’ll find your way. I spent 14 years in prison here in Texas and a lot of the same fears that you have right now were the same ones that I had and most all of us do in the beginning. For you, the hard part is not knowing and seeing beyond all the hype and the Hollywood version of what prison is like. You’ll meet women in there that you’re destined to become friends with and you’ll meet others that you’ll know to avoid.

Some women have a tendency to want to use the alternative lifestyle image as a weapon for the sake of being the center of attention and as a way to intimidate other prisoners around them. Always remember that the one’s who talk the loudest are the ones with the most problems. If someone disrespects you, say something to them once and if it happens again, slap the hell out of them. I’m not a mean person nor do I encourage anyone to rebel or show out, but the simple truth is if other people see that they can run over you then they will.

You have a job to do until April comes along; accept the situation for what it is. You’re a woman, not a kid, not a girl, and not incapable of getting through this. You’re a woman so, take it like a woman. You can come out of this experience a stronger woman and a better woman because of what you’ll go through. God is with you through it all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebrand For This Useful Post:
britecloud (03-09-2011), montysmom (03-09-2011), OMGONMYWAY (03-09-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 PM

Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
The hardest part is waiting and not knowing what to expect. I know that it seems like more than you can handle just right now. Know that there are other women less than yourself who have gone through the same thing youíre about to face and they made it. If they can do it then you can do it. Itís just that simple. No one is going to put barbeque sauce on you and then roast you over a hot fire for supper some night.

I havenít done time with women, but Iíve done time around womenÖ..if that makes any sense. I spent 2 years at Dawson State Jail here in Dallas and more than half the prisoners there are women so, from time to time I would see them as they went about the business of doing time. At times the hard part is waiting and at other times the gals you have to do time with will at some point rub you the wrong way. Yes, there are disagreements & confrontations to be considered, but consider them when they happen. Donít allow the month that you have in front to do out here in the Free World to be a time that beats you down. Youíre going to be gone for year; youíre not going to be gone forever.

Once you get in there, youíll find your way. I spent 14 years in prison here in Texas and a lot of the same fears that you have right now were the same ones that I had and most all of us do in the beginning. For you, the hard part is not knowing and seeing beyond all the hype and the Hollywood version of what prison is like. Youíll meet women in there that youíre destined to become friends with and youíll meet others that youíll know to avoid.

Some women have a tendency to want to use the alternative lifestyle image as a weapon for the sake of being the center of attention and as a way to intimidate other prisoners around them. Always remember that the oneís who talk the loudest are the ones with the most problems. If someone disrespects you, say something to them once and if it happens again, slap the hell out of them. Iím not a mean person nor do I encourage anyone to rebel or show out, but the simple truth is if other people see that they can run over you then they will.

You have a job to do until April comes along; accept the situation for what it is. Youíre a woman, not a kid, not a girl, and not incapable of getting through this. Youíre a woman so, take it like a woman. You can come out of this experience a stronger woman and a better woman because of what youíll go through. God is with you through it all.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:54 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,928 Times in 3,179 Posts

I'm glad you found us on PTO! But, I'm so sorry to hear this for you. It's difficult to say how long you will be in county before being transferred. It all depends on how soon a TDCJ bed becomes available. You might be in county 3 days or you might be there for all 12 months. I wish I had better info for you. Someone else might know better than I do. I do know that state jail time is day for day, but whatever time that you spend in county will count toward that. I agree with the others that you should leave money with someone to put on your books. JPay lets your family set up an account to send money to your books, and your loved ones can email you for .44 cents (I think) a page that you will get that day if your loved ones email it early enough. Once you get processed into whichever jail you're at, you will be able to make collect calls, and you can always snail mail your loved ones. I wish you the best, and good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:
OMGONMYWAY (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:50 AM

If you have money on your account in county jail, it goes with you to state jail. When my sister went I was worried she would get to go to the store at state jail before the money from county made it, so I sent money by Jpay. She went to Woodman State Jail.

The thing is, your friends and family may not know when you leave county to go to state jail. Some people leave an envelope with a note to friends and family with another inmate at the jail to mail for them so their family knows. You may be able to use the phone at the county jail to call and tell someone. I am not familiar with Harris County.

Anyway once you go into the state jail you will show up on this: http://168.51.178.33/webapp/TDCJ/index2.htm and your number will show up too. And it will say where you are and friends and family can get the address and number and write to you.

She had two sentences and one was TDCJ so she has left Woodman for an ID unit, but I think intake took about 30 days and we heard from her after about 30 days. At the state jail she was in a dorm with bunk beds and no cubicle. She was able to buy things like thermal underwear and stationary and foods in the store. She said they had to go outside sometimes and wait. At woodman she had a job working in the kitchen.

She hasn't mentioned having fighting trouble with any other inmates or anything. Either at state jail or at the ID unit. She did say that there are very strict rules and was very worried about getting a case for the glasses that she went in with. If you wear glasses try to get some plastic frames before you leave.

http://www.paroletexas.com/articles/GTP2008.pdf it would be a good idea for you to read this, they give really good advice here.
The Following User Says Thank You to KamisSister For This Useful Post:
britecloud (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Default Thank you for this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I'm glad you found us on PTO! But, I'm so sorry to hear this for you. It's difficult to say how long you will be in county before being transferred. It all depends on how soon a TDCJ bed becomes available. You might be in county 3 days or you might be there for all 12 months. I wish I had better info for you. Someone else might know better than I do. I do know that state jail time is day for day, but whatever time that you spend in county will count toward that. I agree with the others that you should leave money with someone to put on your books. JPay lets your family set up an account to send money to your books, and your loved ones can email you for .44 cents (I think) a page that you will get that day if your loved ones email it early enough. Once you get processed into whichever jail you're at, you will be able to make collect calls, and you can always snail mail your loved ones. I wish you the best, and good luck!
When I get sentenced and go to county jail, can I take money with me then and how do I get my loved ones my "number" for them to use in jpay?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Thanked 4,947 Times in 2,969 Posts

You can give them the link to the online TDCJ Offender Information Search website where they can search for you using your first and last name. You should appear in the database within a day (maybe two) of catching chain and it will show them where you are and your TDCJ number. A day (maybe two) after you show up on the TDCJ site you should appear in the JPAY database where they can put money on your books if they have a credit card. They can also put money on your phone account using jpay. For someone to be able to receive phone calls they must be on your approved visitors list, have a landline phone billed intheir name at the same address that shows on the visitation list and register their phone (online or by phone) when your visitation list is approved and available.

Last edited by RobinsMan; 03-09-2011 at 10:21 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RobinsMan For This Useful Post:
montysmom (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
When I get sentenced and go to county jail, can I take money with me then and how do I get my loved ones my "number" for them to use in jpay?
I can't say for certain about Harris county, but when Tarrant county sheriff's deputy's came to our house to pick up our daughter, she asked me for some cash so it could be put on her books when she got to county jail. So I'd have to say yes, you can take money with you when you go to county jail, and have it put on your account so you can go to commissary and buy things. Someone more familiar with how Harris county does it may want to verify this is true also for Harris county jail.

Jpay is a great way to put money on someone in the TDCJ system. But it doesn't work for county jails. We had to travel into Ft.Worth to put money on our daughter's acct, when she was in Tarrant county jail. Jpay comes into play after you get to an intake facility in the TDCJ system. You HAVE to have a TDCJ # in order to put money into your trust fund account in the TDCJ system. And it can be done in many different ways.....jpay is just one of them. We use it because of convenience. You also have to have a TDCJ # in order for your loved one's to set up telephone privileges once you are transferred to a TDCJ unit.

Pamela, I applaud you for taking the initiative by preparing for what's coming. A lot is coming at you, and you're trying to learn as much as you can. That's good!

I think you should expect to be in county jail at least 30 days, out to 45 days before you are transferred to a TDCJ intake facility. Our daughter was in county 37 days(after her probation revocation hearing) before transferring to Plane State Jail. But also she had been in county a full 30 days prior to her hearing.

I hope this helps a little bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe817 For This Useful Post:
OMGONMYWAY (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:40 PM

I am not sure if Harris county will take money from your belongings to place into commissary but you will certainly want some on your books while you are there. I used the machines in the jail lobby to put money on Robins books while she was there but there are other ways to get it done. Money on your county books will follow you to TDC but will be some weeks behind your transfer. I would want someone to put money on my TDC books as soon as the account was set up in case I got the chance to make store before the money from county followed me over.

I will give you one other word of warning about TDC, get ready to lose all your modesty. Particularly while you are in intake you will be doing the strip search, open mouth, spread fingers and toes, spread it, bend over and spread that too then squat and cough routine every time you turn around and, at least in the type of cell that Robin has stayed each time she went through intake, spent her days in an eight person cell with a single, stainless steel toilet/sink all by it's lonesome on one wall.

Last edited by RobinsMan; 03-09-2011 at 12:41 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RobinsMan For This Useful Post:
montysmom (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM

Default Wow !!!!!

I know that I will be going to a state jail for 1 year. I have a theft charge and a background of felonies (all from 1995). All are non-violent none drug related cases.
Any idea where I will be sent, is there any chance I can stay close to Houston as that is where my family is, I am 43, female, My parents are in very bad health and will have a hard time driving too far to visit. Maybe they(Dept. of corrections) just dont care and I will go whereever, would just like to know.
This is my first time going to state jail in Texas. Ive been told I will serve day for day and that I will most likely spend appx 30 days in Harris county after sentencing before being transferred to a state jail.
Also would like to know what kind of work detail will be assigned to me.
Thanks so much and I am estatic that this web site is here not only for me but for my family as well.
Thanks Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsMan View Post
I am not sure if Harris county will take money from your belongings to place into commissary but you will certainly want some on your books while you are there. I used the machines in the jail lobby to put money on Robins books while she was there but there are other ways to get it done. Money on your county books will follow you to TDC but will be some weeks behind your transfer. I would want someone to put money on my TDC books as soon as the account was set up in case I got the chance to make store before the money from county followed me over.

I will give you one other word of warning about TDC, get ready to lose all your modesty. Particularly while you are in intake you will be doing the strip search, open mouth, spread fingers and toes, spread it, bend over and spread that too then squat and cough routine every time you turn around and, at least in the type of cell that Robin has stayed each time she went through intake, spent her days in an eight person cell with a single, stainless steel toilet/sink all by it's lonesome on one wall.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM

Your friends and family can also send you books, I use amazon but there are other vendors you can use for things like books, tablets, envelopes etc. They cannot send it themselves but places like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Office Max can send stuff to you at the prison.
The Following User Says Thank You to KamisSister For This Useful Post:
OMGONMYWAY (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I know that I will be going to a state jail for 1 year. I have a theft charge and a background of felonies (all from 1995). All are non-violent none drug related cases.
Any idea where I will be sent, is there any chance I can stay close to Houston as that is where my family is, I am 43, female, My parents are in very bad health and will have a hard time driving too far to visit. Maybe they(Dept. of corrections) just dont care and I will go whereever, would just like to know.
This is my first time going to state jail in Texas. Ive been told I will serve day for day and that I will most likely spend appx 30 days in Harris county after sentencing before being transferred to a state jail.
Also would like to know what kind of work detail will be assigned to me.
Thanks so much and I am estatic that this web site is here not only for me but for my family as well.
Thanks Again!

I don't know that I can say where you will go for sure but Plane in Dayton is going out of the State Jail business, which is where I would have expected you to go otherwise, and that leaves few other choices. I have heard (by way of rumor) that State Jail inmates from Houston are being sent to Dawson in Dallas but I cannot say that I know that is where you will go. There is Henley in Dayton, which would be close, but I suspect Henley is too specialzed in treatment programs for that to be a real possiblity. Finally, there is Woodman in Gatesville, about 45 miles west of Waco which is another TDC intake facility like Plane is and just about as far away as Dawson.

It is just as hard to predict work details. If you go to Dawson I think there is no such thing as hoe squad but possibilities such as laundry and kitchen exist. Most common work detail is, basically, dorm janitor (I think called SI for Service Inmate?). If your assignment is for your dorm then all you do is a scheduled clean up of the place on your shift or whatever other tasks the CO's on shift need you to do. It is possible you could be assigned to another dorm for that where you would have to go a report somewhere else. But like where you will go, you will also have to just wait and see what sort of work detail you might get.

Last edited by RobinsMan; 03-09-2011 at 03:01 PM..
Old 03-09-2011, 04:40 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,928 Times in 3,179 Posts

Quote:
I think these questions have been answered by the other great members above, but just to clarify, once you leave county and go to TDCJ, your loved ones will be able to use the TDCJ Online Offender Search to get your TDCJ #. That TDCJ # will be on everything associated with you -- including your mail, visitation, phone privledges, commisary -- everything. You will also be able to snail mail your loved ones your number once your settled in. I don't know if Harris county allows you to bring money or if it has to be done in another way. I know they kept my man's money in his wallet at Orange county, and I had to send in money orders to Orange county jail. I did get his money out of his wallet when I picked up his property after he was tranferred to TDCJ, though. I also want to say that it is a great thing that you are doing everything you can to prepare for this. I admire you for that! It seems like you are a strong person, and you should come through this just fine. Take a deep breath, and like the old saying goes, do the time, but don't let the time do you. Best wishes!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:20 PM

Renee, Thanks for the feed back, this website is awesome for me and my family.
Pam
The Following User Says Thank You to OMGONMYWAY For This Useful Post:
Renee (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
The hardest part is waiting and not knowing what to expect. I know that it seems like more than you can handle just right now. Know that there are other women less than yourself who have gone through the same thing youíre about to face and they made it. If they can do it then you can do it. Itís just that simple. No one is going to put barbeque sauce on you and then roast you over a hot fire for supper some night.

I havenít done time with women, but Iíve done time around womenÖ..if that makes any sense. I spent 2 years at Dawson State Jail here in Dallas and more than half the prisoners there are women so, from time to time I would see them as they went about the business of doing time. At times the hard part is waiting and at other times the gals you have to do time with will at some point rub you the wrong way. Yes, there are disagreements & confrontations to be considered, but consider them when they happen. Donít allow the month that you have in front to do out here in the Free World to be a time that beats you down. Youíre going to be gone for year; youíre not going to be gone forever.

Once you get in there, youíll find your way. I spent 14 years in prison here in Texas and a lot of the same fears that you have right now were the same ones that I had and most all of us do in the beginning. For you, the hard part is not knowing and seeing beyond all the hype and the Hollywood version of what prison is like. Youíll meet women in there that youíre destined to become friends with and youíll meet others that youíll know to avoid.

Some women have a tendency to want to use the alternative lifestyle image as a weapon for the sake of being the center of attention and as a way to intimidate other prisoners around them. Always remember that the oneís who talk the loudest are the ones with the most problems. If someone disrespects you, say something to them once and if it happens again, slap the hell out of them. Iím not a mean person nor do I encourage anyone to rebel or show out, but the simple truth is if other people see that they can run over you then they will.

You have a job to do until April comes along; accept the situation for what it is. Youíre a woman, not a kid, not a girl, and not incapable of getting through this. Youíre a woman so, take it like a woman. You can come out of this experience a stronger woman and a better woman because of what youíll go through. God is with you through it all.
wow....I'm not in this situation if I was I thank you for the breakdown... Wow..;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to passionfruit For This Useful Post:
Firebrand (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Hey, thanks for that information. I think its the fear of the unknown that gets me the most.
What do they assign you to do for work? Do you know if I can bring anything to Harris county jail while waiting to go to the state jail? and do u have any idea how long it will take me to get transferred to a state jail from Harris county once I am sentenced?
How does jpay work and when can I use it? in county or state???
Sorry for all the questions, i figure this is the place to ask...
Thanks Again,
Pamala
You can't bring anything with you is what they are trying to explain. Everything you come in with gets locked up until you are released. You get the basics from the jail to wear and then when someone puts money on an account. Then you can buy what is approved by the jail.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Most common work detail is, basically, dorm janitor (I think called SI for Service Inmate?). If your assignment is for your dorm then all you do is a scheduled clean up of the place on your shift or whatever other tasks the CO's on shift need you to do.
Ya like go to Sonic Burger and every other fast food joint nearby to get their meals....

Ok, just joking!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I think these questions have been answered by the other great members above, but just to clarify, once you leave county and go to TDCJ, your loved ones will be able to use the TDCJ Online Offender Search to get your TDCJ #. That TDCJ # will be on everything associated with you -- including your mail, visitation, phone privledges, commisary -- everything. You will also be able to snail mail your loved ones your number once your settled in. I don't know if Harris county allows you to bring money or if it has to be done in another way. I know they kept my man's money in his wallet at Orange county, and I had to send in money orders to Orange county jail. I did get his money out of his wallet when I picked up his property after he was tranferred to TDCJ, though. I also want to say that it is a great thing that you are doing everything you can to prepare for this. I admire you for that! It seems like you are a strong person, and you should come through this just fine. Take a deep breath, and like the old saying goes, do the time, but don't let the time do you. Best wishes!
When she's in county, could her family put some money on her books and it will follow her where they send her? Idk trying to help! ;-)
Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Default Sorry to hit ya with all these questions! But...LOL

Do you know if I can ask for treatment, should I ask my attorney or is that not a good idea?
I put myself through treatment after I caught this case, 2years ago, I turned myself in , I live in Tn., but am going to have to move to texas with my partner while in there so she can take care of my folks while Im inside. I usually go back and forth every month to take care of whatever they need.
I am 2 years clean, but Im sure I could learn something in treatment, just dont want to take a bed that someone else needs more than me.

And hey thanks for the feedback.
Pamala

Quote:
I don't know that I can say where you will go for sure but Plane in Dayton is going out of the State Jail business, which is where I would have expected you to go otherwise, and that leaves few other choices. I have heard (by way of rumor) that State Jail inmates from Houston are being sent to Dawson in Dallas but I cannot say that I know that is where you will go. There is Henley in Dayton, which would be close, but I suspect Henley is too specialzed in treatment programs for that to be a real possiblity. Finally, there is Woodman in Gatesville, about 45 miles west of Waco which is another TDC intake facility like Plane is and just about as far away as Dawson.

It is just as hard to predict work details. If you go to Dawson I think there is no such thing as hoe squad but possibilities such as laundry and kitchen exist. Most common work detail is, basically, dorm janitor (I think called SI for Service Inmate?). If your assignment is for your dorm then all you do is a scheduled clean up of the place on your shift or whatever other tasks the CO's on shift need you to do. It is possible you could be assigned to another dorm for that where you would have to go a report somewhere else. But like where you will go, you will also have to just wait and see what sort of work detail you might get.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 PM

There might be some classes available to you while serving a state jail sentence but I do not think there are any bonifide treatment programs available to state jail confines. Someone else can come along and correct me if necessary. You might find AA inside but probably not even NA. There will be no parole exit treatment program since it is state jail and that is pretty much the only treatment programs TDC gets invoved in.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 PM

Default Sonic!!!!

Hey, Sonic sounds better than Hoeing fields !!! I'd be glad to be on sonic assignment !!!!LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back12draft View Post
Ya like go to Sonic Burger and every other fast food joint nearby to get their meals....

Ok, just joking!