Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 PM

Default Power of attorney form?

Does anyone know where I can print a power of attorney form for my husband in jail? I am in the state of Indiana and I called and they said I can just mail it to him. I am broke so I hope it's free. I need to gain access to his bank account, he draws social security/disability and have to pay his bills and the bank won't just take a letter he mailed me and had notorized, guess it has to be a legal form.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 02:30 PM
attorney

Thanked 11,711 Times in 4,295 Posts

http://www.in.gov/icpr/webfile/formsdiv/01940.pdf
Old 03-01-2011, 02:33 PM
PTO Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,215 Times in 9,151 Posts

I'm not sure about Indiana, but I was told here in KY that after its notarized, you must take it to the County Clerk and have it filed belore a bank will accept it. That part cost me $17, but it has the Clerk's stamp/seal on it. Call your bank and ask if all yoiu need is the notarized form, or if you have to file it at the Courthouse too.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 PM

that form is for a watercraft it says. I found that earlier to and you would think I could find the form but it's like nowhere on the net.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:39 PM
attorney

it should cite the statute - a number that corresponds to Indiana state law. That statute will be to the Statutory form in the Indiana Statutes. Find the one in the statute that fills your needs and copy and paste it into your word processing program.

Access to both State and Federal statutes is free through government sites. You can also check with the State department of social services, whatever it's called in your state, and see if they have a pretty one that you can just print out and fill in. Look up government only cites, or you'll run into form mills that will charge you unnecessarily.

Alternatively, you can generally go to your local hospital and ask to get a POA from them. Some states have more than one POA, and advanced directives. You can usually get some guidance from a hospital administrator. Some larger hospitals have a person who specifically helps people with advanced planning - POA healthcare, POA property, living will, advanced directives for psych care, etc.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:23 PM
PTO Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,215 Times in 9,151 Posts

Here's a copy of the one I used, I think it's pretty standard:
Attached Files
File Type: doc General Durable POA 1.doc (34.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Donation Award 

Default Indiana - General Power of Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeil View Post
Does anyone know where I can print a power of attorney form for my husband in jail? I am in the state of Indiana and I called and they said I can just mail it to him. I am broke so I hope it's free. I need to gain access to his bank account, he draws social security/disability and have to pay his bills and the bank won't just take a letter he mailed me and had notorized, guess it has to be a legal form.
Do a Google search using the words "Indiana General Power of Attorney Form". Once you find and download the form, fill out as much as you can, mail it to your husband to complete the remainder [in the presence of a correctional officer authorized to notarize legal documents. Your husband should then obtain a copy of the notarized document; keep a copy and mail the original to you via certified mail. The hardest part will be for your husband to arrange for that correctional officer to notarize the document.

Be sure to make copies of the original and place in a safe place. Only present the original when required.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Here's a copy of the one I used, I think it's pretty standard:
actually, they are state specific. While the intent may be the same, usually you need the enacted statutory language for your state. Further, if he's incarcerated in another state, it has to be that state's POA.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-01-2011)