Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Missouri News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Missouri prison system.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:08 PM

Default Anyone know about a new 50/50 law for missouri

My fieonse is trying to find out hes being screwed over big time by prison system its not fair whats going on can anyone help me on anything he was falsely accused an is now locked up theres more to story if be glad to share if someones willing to help me...
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 06:24 PM

Hi Shaunsgirl,
I too am wondering about the new 50/50 law, My husband is in the farmington MO correctional center and told me that he had heard about it but I cant find any information on it? Have you been able to find anything??
Old 03-20-2011, 05:37 PM
PTO Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,766 Times in 9,389 Posts

You can look up bills and their status both in the House & Senate from the Missouri General Assembly Homepage HERE I hope its true, but keep in mind that there are always rumors about these sorts of things floating around in prison. Happy Searching!
hywesley1 (05-14-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 08:25 PM

My son is at FCC, he hasn't heard anything about a 50/50. Usually when he hears about something it is either a rumor or whatever the story is, the facts are usually distorted. Kathleenr
Old 05-01-2011, 08:39 PM

What is 50/50???
The Following User Says Thank You to kristina4546 For This Useful Post:
hywesley1 (05-14-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 AM

My fieonse is in farmington correctional center also. And he sent me a paper of some new laws passed for prisons. All I know is I want him home it is horrible n I feel so sorry for our kids they miss the only daddy they have ever known... its rough thank you all for posting
Old 09-22-2011, 03:49 PM

What is the 50/50 law that you are speaking of? If you send me a message I can try to research it. Also recommend you contact and join MO CURE. It's a wonderful organization that focuses on issues such as these.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:20 AM

How do I do that n I'm trying to remember what it was exactly so much has happened I can't think straight but ill ask n let ya know
Old 11-21-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm doing fine!

Someone else asked but I didint see a response, what is the 50/50 rule?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 AM

What is the 50/50 rule..I have never even heard of that? Is it only in MO or all prisons?

Old 12-17-2011, 07:20 PM
C.Coleman's Wife for life

My husband told me about it last night and it seems that when you get out on parole and you are vilation free for 30 days, it is like you were violation free for 60 days. From my understanding you get through your parole much faster. Actually in half of the time.
Precious'Girl (12-18-2011)
Old 12-18-2011, 08:03 AM

I so hope this is true!! I will be asking my LO if he has heard of it and I am going to try to research it too. Thanks for all the info!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,725 Times in 964 Posts

There was an article in our paper about it yesterday. From what I understand, it hasn't passed yet, but was recommended by a panel put together by (I think) the Governor's office. It looks like it has legs. I would reference the article, but I cut it out of the paper and sent it to my son. There were some other positives in the recommendations as well. If I'm remembering correctly, the first violations of parole were limited to 48 hours in a county jail as opposed to revocation. I'll see if I can find it on the web.
The Following User Says Thank You to moondoggie1 For This Useful Post:
Precious'Girl (12-18-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 04:55 PM

Here is what I found:

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - A Missouri House committee Wednesday examined possible changes to the state's probation and parole system that could save the state millions and reduce the prison population by hundreds of inmates.
A special state task force recommended the changes, and the House committee has been meeting to study the criminal justice system before lawmakers return to the Capital in January.
The recommendations could save $7.7 million to $16.6 million over five years while reducing the prison population by 245 to 677 inmates. Missouri was incarcerating 30,777 people at the end of November, and the Legislature this year included more than $600 million in the total budget for the Department of Corrections. Some of the money that is saved could be plugged back into the criminal justice system
The possible changes came from the Missouri Working Group on Sentencing and Corrections, which included officials from the legislative, executive and judicial branches. The working group said in its report that the recommendations are intended to improve public safety, hold offenders accountable and control costs.
State Supreme Court Judge William Ray Price, who served on the working group and presented its recommendations to the House committee Wednesday, said Missouri's current approach is expensive and ineffective. He said some, but not all, inmates belong in prison.
"We are trying to achieve better results for the safety of the Missouri people at a lower expense," Price said. "It's not a question about being soft on crime or hard on crime. It's a question of being smart on crime to get the best results for our people at the lowest expense."
Price was named to the Missouri Supreme Court in 1992 by then-Gov. John Ashcroft, a Republican. During his turn as chief justice over the past two years, Price highlighted the criminal justice system in speeches to a joint Legislature.
The sentencing and corrections working group made six policy recommendations:
-- Allow people who are on probation or parole to have their supervision period reduced by 30 days for every 30 days that they comply with their requirements.
-- Permit probation and parole officers to levy brief jail stays for violations -- limited to no more than 48 hours the first time and capped at a total of 15 days. The state would reimburse counties $30 per day for holding people in their jails.
-- Create an option for 120-day "shock" incarceration when probation is revoked. It would be limited to people convicted of nonviolent crimes, who commit technical violations that do not involve a new arrest or conviction. It would not be used when probation is revoked for absconding, violating stay-away orders or weapons violations.
-- Establish a new oversight committee that includes officials from throughout state government.
-- Approve legislation emphasizing the right of restitution for crime victims.
-- Revise the state's criminal code.
The working group found that most people who are sent to prison in Missouri are admitted because their probation or parole was revoked. In 2010, revocations for technical violations of probation and parole accounted for more than 7,800 admissions to Missouri prisons, which was 43 percent of the total admissions last year. On average, those prisoners spent 10 months behind bars.
"We want to have rewards for people who do well. We want to have swift and certain sanction for those that don't to reform behavior," Price said.
State officials worked with the Pew Center on the States to analyze sentencing laws, prison populations, probation programs and recidivism rates. Numerous other states have undertaken a similar effort.
Missouri's working group included lawmakers, two judges, the director of the state public defender system, the director for the state office of prosecution services, the Corrections Department director, and officials from the attorney general and governor's office.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gymshoe For This Useful Post:
alostsoul (12-26-2011), Hardt (12-19-2011), MzBMoore (01-03-2012), paw1968 (01-08-2012), scoopster (01-18-2012)
Old 12-19-2011, 05:03 PM

I looked all over the states general assembly site and could not find this anywhere - this was off a local NBC news site -
Let's pray someone has some brains and realizes that MO is spending millions of dollars to lock up individuals when other options are much cheaper and better for all involved. When will people realize that locking up people with no treatment plans does not fix what the root cause is.
I pray this bill helps out so many of you - my man and I have 5 months left exactly until he is DONE off paper - after 12 years of this nightmare we are finally finally free - and I doubt he will benefit from it.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Whewwww!I was told by my guy whos in NECC they are suppose to be passing some laws soon and something about 66% and those serving time can be released early but not really clear or sure about it and have been trying to look up early release because of over populating information and not coming up with anything.