Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Legislation & Laws
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Legislation & Laws Discuss and learn about pending legislation or changes in law.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,182 Times in 657 Posts
Default Has anyone heard any new info on a Federal Good Time Bill?

my man said that he read an article on friday jan 28 in the Wall street journal regarding good time early release he's federal so i think thats what he's referring too. i tried to find the article online but couldnt? has anyone heard anything?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 05:33 PM
His wife 4 life

I have seen an other thread about the same thing, maybe its going to happen.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:01 PM
TriCky'sWif33

no idk but wanna know
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM

My son has heard the same thing - I'd really like to know what is rumor and what is fact. Would appreciate any information or where to find information! Thanks--
Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

If passed, the Good Time Bill will increase the number of days inmates can earn towards early release, basically giving them parole earlier, as long as they behave. The bill's still stuck in the judiciary committee, but rumours say President Obama's thinking about signing it. Not sure it's gonna be retroactive though, so it might just apply to sentences given from the day the bill is signed and onwards. Bet let's keep our fingers crossed!

Sorry, I'm not allowed to post a url cause I haven't done 25 posts yet, but you can find more info on fedcure.org.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 AM

This is really driving me nuts, i want to know the facts lol. I went to visit my boyfriend the other day and he told me that the bill was passed. When i asked him how he knew this he said that his buddy in there well his girl printed out the whole thing and sent it to him. An that the bill will go into effect July 6th 2011.

I wrote to my boyfriend and asked him if he read it for himself or if it was just something he was told. I am really excited about this and so is he. But i would really hate to get my hopes up over nothing. I want to see it with my own eyes. I want the proof lol....

if anyone knows anything that can help please feel free to share
Old 02-20-2011, 03:36 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisbabyny View Post
my man said that he read an article on friday jan 28 in the Wall street journal regarding good time early release he's federal so i think thats what he's referring too. i tried to find the article online but couldnt? has anyone heard anything?
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/01/27/if-the-hatchet-comes-to-justice-heres-how-it-might-hit/
Here is the link to the wall street journal artical
Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 AM
His wife 4 life

Thanks for this, me and my husband have heard that they have pass the law bout the 80% to now 60% i have tried to find it. a laid told me she seen it on the news and then called her lawer to see if it was true and he told her yes it was.has any one heard of this? if so then my man will be home at the end of this year.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage26 View Post
Thanks for this, me and my husband have heard that they have pass the law bout the 80% to now 60% i have tried to find it. a laid told me she seen it on the news and then called her lawer to see if it was true and he told her yes it was.has any one heard of this? if so then my man will be home at the end of this year.

So a lawyer actually said that it did pass? I am sooo confused about this lol
Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,144 Times in 558 Posts

Is this for both Federal and State??
Old 02-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,144 Times in 558 Posts

guess if I had taken the time to read....dud....Federal, does not help me, but I am happy for whom it does
Old 02-20-2011, 05:59 PM
His wife 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRoux2B View Post
So a lawyer actually said that it did pass? I am sooo confused about this lol
The girl that told me, she said she called her lawyer to find out if it was true, he told her yes it was true that they passed the new law. about the 80% to 60% for federal inmates to serve.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 AM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

The Federal Goodtime Bill HR 1475 died with the 110th congress. I believe it has just been re introduced in the 111th congress so whoever told anyone the bill has passed is not dealing in facts! Goodtime remains the same in the Federal system at 15%

I believe this is the new proposed bill

HB 2648: This bill would allow prisoners to earn early release credits for good behavior if they participate in educational or treatment programs. If all available earned release credits are earned, a prisoner who is designated non-violent, non-repetitive would be required to earn 66% of their imposed sentence, instead of the current 85%. If released at 66%, the prisoner would have to successfully serve the remaining 34% on community supervision. Proponents favor this (criminal defense attorneys, prisoner advocates, public defenders, etc.) because it would still allow punishment for crimes; would allow non-violent, non-dangerous and non-repetitive offenders to be released for good behavior, but would still keep more violent or repetitive prisoners for a longer amt. of time. It would save money for the state because some prisoners would not spend so much time in prison. Opponents (who are prosecutors, victim's rights advocates and most legislators) believe that the criminal code is working just fine to protect society. They believe that the last budget to be cut or reduced should be prisons/public safety. They believe that letting people out of prison early will increase crime.

Last edited by PTO-97580; 02-21-2011 at 08:09 AM..
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM

I hope it passes I want my man home
Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,182 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The Federal Goodtime Bill HR 1475 died with the 110th congress. I believe it has just been re introduced in the 111th congress so whoever told anyone the bill has passed is not dealing in facts! Goodtime remains the same in the Federal system at 15%

I believe this is the new proposed bill

HB 2648: This bill would allow prisoners to earn early release credits for good behavior if they participate in educational or treatment programs. If all available earned release credits are earned, a prisoner who is designated non-violent, non-repetitive would be required to earn 66% of their imposed sentence, instead of the current 85%. If released at 66%, the prisoner would have to successfully serve the remaining 34% on community supervision. Proponents favor this (criminal defense attorneys, prisoner advocates, public defenders, etc.) because it would still allow punishment for crimes; would allow non-violent, non-dangerous and non-repetitive offenders to be released for good behavior, but would still keep more violent or repetitive prisoners for a longer amt. of time. It would save money for the state because some prisoners would not spend so much time in prison. Opponents (who are prosecutors, victim's rights advocates and most legislators) believe that the criminal code is working just fine to protect society. They believe that the last budget to be cut or reduced should be prisons/public safety. They believe that letting people out of prison early will increase crime.

so this means anyone designated as a violent offender doesnt have a chance? i was wondering if there is any way that classification can be changed. its kind of unfair , what if someone that was classified as a VO has done really good and served alot of time? does that VO classification stick for good?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:51 PM

I want my man home too....hopefully this happens
Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 PM
His wife 4 life

me and you both.girl
Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Nikki Trini

I really hope this bill pass i am so ready to have my husband home we are both hopping for the best an if it does pass that means i am going to pick up my husband it is making me sick that he is not here.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 AM

Default Good Time Credits

Please keep me in the loop with this as I am also searching daily for new information.

Thank You
Paul J. Ianni
Old 03-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRoux2B View Post
This is really driving me nuts, i want to know the facts lol. I went to visit my boyfriend the other day and he told me that the bill was passed. When i asked him how he knew this he said that his buddy in there well his girl printed out the whole thing and sent it to him. An that the bill will go into effect July 6th 2011.

I wrote to my boyfriend and asked him if he read it for himself or if it was just something he was told. I am really excited about this and so is he. But i would really hate to get my hopes up over nothing. I want to see it with my own eyes. I want the proof lol....

if anyone knows anything that can help please feel free to share
Hi, My husband has heard the same thing he said wveryone in his cell block has talked about it, I cant find anything on it and it would put out this year if it is true, Let us know if you hear anything and I will do the same
Old 03-20-2011, 02:37 PM
His wife 4 life

Same here i would like to know on this to, please let me know if ya'll hear of any thing and i will do the same.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:20 AM

Thanked 1,048 Times in 654 Posts

Quote:
http://goodtimebill.info/

Old 04-15-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPI View Post
Please keep me in the loop with this as I am also searching daily for new information.

Thank You
Paul J. Ianni
Hello my name is nancy. I am new to this site. My husband has been in prison for 9 years and has also heard about this new law. Ive also been looking but have found nothing. Will you please keep me posted on any new info.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:43 PM

Default Confused!

I really need some kind of solid answer or website to know if the good time bill passed for new york state prisoners or not...can someone help me???
Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
so this means anyone designated as a violent offender doesnt have a chance? i was wondering if there is any way that classification can be changed. its kind of unfair , what if someone that was classified as a VO has done really good and served alot of time? does that VO classification stick for good?
i would like to now the same thing too. god this whole thing makes my stomach turn, i just want my baby home.