Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison > PWCIP - Introductions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

PWCIP - Introductions Welcome to the Parents With Children in Prison Forum. Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:20 PM

Default Cathyk12 from Fla.-News on prison gain time change

My daughter is in Lowell CI for 3 years for dui manslaughter. She was 16 at the time of the accident and all were drinking. One of her friends died in the accident. The info I found out about the prison gain time change from 85% to 65% for nonviolent offenders is the senate in Fl is out of session until March 8. Nothing was found regarding any info of this in 2010 but to contact and follow up in March. Any bill not addressed by the end of 2010 is dropped and has to be reopened in March 2011. There is a bill #144 that may be helpful to some.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 PM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyk12 View Post
My daughter is in Lowell CI for 3 years for dui manslaughter. She was 16 at the time of the accident and all were drinking. One of her friends died in the accident. The info I found out about the prison gain time change from 85% to 65% for nonviolent offenders is the senate in Fl is out of session until March 8. Nothing was found regarding any info of this in 2010 but to contact and follow up in March. Any bill not addressed by the end of 2010 is dropped and has to be reopened in March 2011. There is a bill #144 that may be helpful to some.
cathy12,5916924,,, i hope and pray one day ,they will change gain time in florida , my son is in prison for 15 years , his first ofence , and nobody was hurt , why they do this to young people , just makes me so upset . brave heart
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM

You need to explain: what is gain time???

Madness takes its toll...please have exact change
Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 PM

Gain time is basically, good time inmates get for good behavior, in some states gain time also includes a % of time off their non violent sentences.

Cathyk12 welcome to PTO!! Sorry we have to meet under these circumstances. I feel so much for your daughter, 1 bad decision & a friend loses their life. I can only image the pain she is going through. I tried to check on the gain time & I couldn't find anything. Did your daughter get a "face sheet" ? ( It's the paper they are given from their caseworker, when they are in the reception ). It will show her sentence summary, it should read like this:
Sentence Date:
Mandatory Release Date:
Max Release Date:
Conditional Release Date:
Time Credit Release Date:

I see you said your daughter was 16 @ the time of the accident. How old is your daughter now? I pray that it works out for your daughter. As a parent, all we can do is support, encourage, love, our children when they are going through this difficult period in their lives. I would encourage her to take as many classes as she can in Lowell, that will help the time go by faster. If you ever need to talk, vent, a shoulder to lean on, please feel free to PM ( private message ) me. I remember how lost I was when I first came to PTO. And through some really great people here @ PTO, I have became a stronger person, & am learning how this process works. The friends I have made here have been Godsends to me.

Cheryl
Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,658 Times in 3,024 Posts

Hello cathyk12 and welcome to the parents forum of PTO. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter but I'm glad that you've found us. Unfortunately there's no imminent plans for a bill to reduce gain time in Florida. That's a persistent rumor that floats around the prisons constantly. Only time will tell what this new set of legislators and the new governor may consider though. I wasn't clear from your original post whether your daughter received a 3 year sentence or if she's 3 years into her sentence. Either way, we all understand how difficult it is to have a child in prison.

You should check out the Florida forum here on PTO as well. There's some good information there and you'll probably find others with loved ones at Lowell in the Region III forum. My son is at Tomoka CI and has about 2 years, 10 months remaining on a 5 year sentence.

I hope you will come back and visit us in the parents forum. We all know exactly what you're going through and we help each other get through it one day at a time if necessary. There's always someone here to listen.
Hugs....Niki

PTO Mod for Genl Health Care, Mental Health, Hep C, Prison Legal, Legislation & Laws, Inmate Card Forum, D & A Rehab & CP

Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Banned

Welcome to PTO