Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Default Parole Violator Center Program

Does anyone have info on the new Parole Violator Center Program? Like the Parole Therapeutic Community, but for technical parole violators. I guess this is the answer to how they will "divert technical violators away from prison"

My questions are:
-Are ALL new technical violators being sent there?
-Are they sending them their after Gangnon I hearing or do they wait until after Gangnon II or until you plead guilty of the tech?
- Does it matter which tech???

I tried to post the link, but wasn't allowed (not enough posts).
Here is some info. First is from the brochure that's on-line. The other is from the Board Website under "Community Re-Entry"

You will immediately receive programming at the Parole ViolatorCenter. You do not need to go through the Board’s violation hearing process.

The Parole Violator Center Program is a joint effort between the Pennsylvania Board of Probation and Parole and the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections. The goal is to divert technical parole violators from incarceration while successfully addressing the criminogenic needs and behaviors within a safe and secure environment. The centers will use a Community Based Life Skills (CBLS) program.
What is the Parole Violator Center Program?
 The Parole Violator Center Program is operated as a secure Community Correction Center (CCC). Secure means that an offender is not allowed to leave the Parole Violator Center for any reason, including job searches or to attend treatment programs. All offender needs will be addressed at the Center.
 Placement in the Parole Violator Center is based on an offender's technical parole violations. In a short period of time, the Department of Corrections will transport the offender from the state correctional institution to one of the Parole Violator Centers located throughout the state.
 It is important that an offender does not incur any misconducts in the meantime. If a misconduct is received prior to physical placement at a Parole Violator Center, an offender's placement may be cancelled.
How does this Program benefit the individual offender?
 An offender is placed in the Parole Violator Center instead of remaining at a state correctional institution, which will keep the offender close to community support systems.
 An offender will immediately receive programming at the Parole Violator Center. The offender does not need to go through the Board’s violation hearing process.
 An offender will likely be released to an approved home plan in a much shorter time period as long as the individual successfully completes ALL programming and requirements.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsc2be For This Useful Post:
bobble60 (01-05-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 PM

would an arrest for criminal possession of a controlled substance be a technical? and if yes or no - could someone still be sent to CCC????
Old 05-08-2011, 07:26 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,620 Times in 932 Posts

NO, an arrest would lead to action as a CPV if the charge is "held for court" at the Magistrate level in PA.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:02 AM

wondering if someone listed as an absconder would qualify for this??
Old 05-18-2011, 04:30 AM

PTO Moderator 

While absconding is a technical violation, the PVC is low-security and easy to walk away from. My guess is that an absconding charge disqualifies the PV from the center.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 AM

My boyfriend was arrested on parole for two technicals last wednesday. Absconding and leaving a home plan. He said that parole met with him and told him he will be leaving sci pittsburgh in 30-45 days for a pv ccc program. So I guess that is a case by case basis. He also has had no cpvs....just techs. Fingers crossed.
The Following User Says Thank You to phicetangel For This Useful Post:
bobble60 (11-18-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 AM

Default Good Luck and hope for the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phicetangel View Post
My boyfriend was arrested on parole for two technicals last wednesday. Absconding and leaving a home plan. He said that parole met with him and told him he will be leaving sci pittsburgh in 30-45 days for a pv ccc program. So I guess that is a case by case basis. He also has had no cpvs....just techs. Fingers crossed.
My boyfriend who is in jail for TPV in SCI greensburg has told me that they are starting to use the new SB 100 Bill for TPV's. Which is great news for new TPV"s.

However I am a little confused why TPV's that are already in jail are getting parole hits? My boyfriend has completed all his programming, non violent offender, no misconducts and just got another hit for 12 months( he now is serving 2 years for drinking alcohol at home) And since they eliminated post relief he cannot serve his time in a CCC either. Sorry to rant, but is so hard to see all these changes coming into play and they cannot help everyone!

Even the DOC counselor and staff are a little confused by TPV's that are getting more hits, considering the new laws that are being implemented. Perhaps things will change come January however how can on inmate serve 2 years for a TPV and now someone commits the same TP, gets out in six months?

I think this issue needs brought up due to the fact that TPV"s are sitting in jail with no programming, and I thought the goal of the new prison reform was to reduce jail population, and provide more resources to paroles? Could the prison society look into this? Or does anyone know if writing our State Representative will help?

Last edited by amandamarch22; 11-14-2012 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 PM

I am learning that its a case by case basis and they system really is not fair. I myself have been searching for several answers and all i keep getting is "its a waiting game". I am sorry your man got hits like that. hopefully in january things will go thru. I honestly dont think that the "system" likes the new act 100 and they are using time to their advantage and screwing every person they can before it takes effect. good luck. I am not a religious person, but i have never prayed so much in my life. I now know how it feels to love someone in prison...and learning that love hurts...A LOT. All we can do is hope and pray for a quick homecoming. Hang in there girl....theres apparently a lot of people out there who care about their man whos down....I got an ear...and time. Im here.
The Following User Says Thank You to phicetangel For This Useful Post:
amandamarch22 (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by phicetangel View Post
I am learning that its a case by case basis and they system really is not fair. I myself have been searching for several answers and all i keep getting is "its a waiting game". I am sorry your man got hits like that. hopefully in january things will go thru. I honestly dont think that the "system" likes the new act 100 and they are using time to their advantage and screwing every person they can before it takes effect. good luck. I am not a religious person, but i have never prayed so much in my life. I now know how it feels to love someone in prison...and learning that love hurts...A LOT. All we can do is hope and pray for a quick homecoming. Hang in there girl....theres apparently a lot of people out there who care about their man whos down....I got an ear...and time. Im here.
Thanks for the support and kind words. I know it is hard for everyone around this time of the year. I agree with you that the system does not like the new senate bill too much. But there is still hope things will change, because their is alot of problems currently going on, with paroling TPV's. I wish the best for you and your family, especially during the holiday season. This is the second year w/o having my son's father for Christmas, so I now how hard it can be for everyone. Hopefully with all the changes he will get to spend his 1st Christmas with his father, next year! Good Luck and stay strong!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:16 AM

PTO Moderator 

It's almost impossible to "get inside" the Board's "head" when it comes to their decisions. I agree that they generally seem haphazard.

Every parole decision leads to a green sheet, and every green sheet has the reasons for parole denial on it. if folks want to challenge the Board on denials, then they have to be prepared to address those reasons. nothing can happen until a pattern is found.

While it's true that recent efforts have been geared toward reducing the state prison population, it's just as true that the DOC doesn't want to downsize. They're building prisons.

And, yes, The Pennsylvania Prison Society is watching this very carefully. We fought long and hard for SB 100 and we're monitoring the effects.