Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Kern Valley State Prison located in Delano, California.

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Stormy41Mom

Thanked 1,132 Times in 800 Posts
Default KVSP 2011 IFC (Inmate Family Council) Updates/Questions/Issues

Please see below for information on the IFC. If you do not get a response from here please go to the IFC website directly:

CA-IFC Webmaster

Kern Valley State Prison And Delano 2
INFO@KERNVALLEYSTATEPRISON.INFOContact staff member for the Inmate Family Council at KVSP is: Visiting Lt. Blackstone (661) 721-6300, ext. 5712
and Public Information Officer Lt. Cano (661) 721-6300, ext. 5514

This is a link to the 2010 thread HERE

Last edited by Sylvia; 12-31-2010 at 01:51 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2011, 03:38 AM
His Ride or Die

Just wondering about the KVSP Inmate Family Council, I dont see anything posted here regarding meeting, updates. Is the Inmate Family Council being used at KVSP? And where do I find more information.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:48 AM
His Ride or Die

Also. was wondering if anyone knew who the IFC members are for Kern Valley thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 06:34 PM

wat is IFC? my boyfriend has been in kern valley since the beginning of april. i would like some info on this.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Loves of his life

Default IFC info

The IFC is the Inmate Family council. They are made of inmate family members and concerned citizens. They attend, I believe, monthly meetings with prison personnel where they discuss issues surrounding inmates and their families. These issues include visiting regulations, food vendor issues, and arsenic levels in water used at the prisons. They are the people to go to with questions about the prison system process. I'm too sure who the IFC members are for KVSP, but it would be nice to find out! Hope this info is helpful to you !
Old 01-13-2011, 10:16 AM
His Ride or Die

I received a message that they are trying to find out who the IFC members are. I have been going to KVSP for almost 2 years and have never heard of it before. I went to another prison for a visit and was told about it. Doesnt seem that IFC is being promoted at KVSP, which is ashame because what I saw at the other prison was pretty incredible what they are accomplishing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ22 For This Useful Post:
Mrs.Smith<3 (01-13-2011), traviesita (01-13-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Loves of his life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ22 View Post
I received a message that they are trying to find out who the IFC members are. I have been going to KVSP for almost 2 years and have never heard of it before. I went to another prison for a visit and was told about it. Doesnt seem that IFC is being promoted at KVSP, which is ashame because what I saw at the other prison was pretty incredible what they are accomplishing.
You're right cuz I don't think I've seen the IFC promoted at KVSP either. I've heard of it at other prisons and read about it online though! I haven't been to KVSP since Aug '09 but will as soon as "A" yard southerners come off LD. I really wouldn't mind being on the IFC if an opening came up . Does anyone know the process of becoming an IFC member? Do you have to meet certain requirements?
Old 01-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmhernandez View Post
You're right cuz I don't think I've seen the IFC promoted at KVSP either. I've heard of it at other prisons and read about it online though! I haven't been to KVSP since Aug '09 but will as soon as "A" yard southerners come off LD. I really wouldn't mind being on the IFC if an opening came up . Does anyone know the process of becoming an IFC member? Do you have to meet certain requirements?
i agree i would love to also!!! so when you find out let me noe.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Loves of his life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Smith<3 View Post
i agree i would love to also!!! so when you find out let me noe.

Will do!!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmhernandez View Post
Will do!!
thank you
Old 01-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Stormy41Mom

Thanked 1,132 Times in 800 Posts

To become a member of the the IFC you ask for an application. I know at CCI where my son was I obtained the application from the visiting Sgt in the visiting room. You could also ask the Lt. on your way out in the visiting center. If all else fails call the visiting Lt on the phone and ask where you might obtain the application.

This is copied from CCI and it may be just a bit different for here:

All IFC representatives serve as volunteers.
You will not be compensated in any way.

Representatives talk to visitors and provide information and assistance. When needed and appropriate, issues are entered into the meeting agenda and presented to the Warden and assorted staff. We pull the suggestions/comments from the suggestion boxes and present them.

We meet once a month on the third Friday of the month at 1:30 p.m. provided there are appropriate new issues to present or items tagged for follow-up from the prior meeting.

If you have an interest in becoming an IFC representative, please stop by and ask for an application when you come to the prison to visit. Lt. xxx should have the most up to date version on hand.

For those who do not know what IFC is; it stands for Inmate Family counsel which is made up of family members of inmates incarcerated at each facility. We present family and visiting concerns as able and appropriate. Over the last two years we have covered considerable ground from vending services and visiting unit conditions to procedure clarification. Yes, they do listen. Please note the IFC does not present inmate issues which are handled via the inmates' own MAC reps.

Ideally there should be 2 representitives from each yard. Plealse talk to the visiting LT or warden to see if this valuable resource can be viable here at Kern Valley.
I was an IFC rep for a few months at CCI, until he came home, and we were able to make some needed procedure changes for our loved ones in regards to visiting and how somethings happened.

Good luck ladies and gentelmen.

Last edited by Sylvia; 01-14-2011 at 04:06 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sylvia For This Useful Post:
malmhernandez (01-15-2011), Mr Lonesome (06-14-2011), warriorangelzym (05-08-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,055 Posts

Currently there is not IFC members. The Lt. from Visiting said hed been there since Dec of 2009 and he's not seen a IFC Meeting.

We the visitor need to ignite this, they sure wont. He recommended to call the PIO I believe his name is Smith. And that should get the ball rolling. To any of the ladies that are interested.

If we the visitors have no voice nothing will get changed.

I was looking at the floor we need to walk across from in the processing and thats disgusting.

Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traviesita For This Useful Post:
meximami707 (05-08-2011), warriorangelzym (05-08-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 PM
His Ride or Die

[quote=traviesita;5903203]Currently there is not IFC members. The Lt. from Visiting said hed been there since Dec of 2009 and he's not seen a IFC Meeting.

We the visitor need to ignite this, they sure wont. He recommended to call the PIO I believe his name is Smith. And that should get the ball rolling. To any of the ladies that are interested.

I was looking at the floor we need to walk across from in the processing and thats disgusting.

Hope this helps.

I would love to be on this commitee. I am there every weekend anyway. My husband is from A yard, but is current in B yard Ad Seg, which has been okay with me since A yard has been on lockdown forever. But I will talk to the Lt Denning this Saturday and find out who is the prison contact for the IFC is.
Anyone else from KVSP want to volunteer for this sounds good to me, no wonder none of us has heard about this committee until now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ22 For This Useful Post:
Mrs.Smith<3 (01-19-2011), traviesita (01-20-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 05:07 PM

Thanked 1,286 Times in 757 Posts

how does one bcome involved in this again? i forgot..

I live far.. so would it be hard for me to attend these meetings?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meximami707 View Post
how does one bcome involved in this again? i forgot..

I live far.. so would it be hard for me to attend these meetings?
Contact the Sgt or Lt. of visiting. i believe there is a application process. So when you get a chance to go up to visit ask for one. That would be great for D yard (thats your yard right?) lol...
The Following User Says Thank You to traviesita For This Useful Post:
meximami707 (05-08-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 11:04 AM

yeah thats my yard.. thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by traviesita View Post
Contact the Sgt or Lt. of visiting. i believe there is a application process. So when you get a chance to go up to visit ask for one. That would be great for D yard (thats your yard right?) lol...
Old 05-08-2011, 01:00 PM

hey ladies.. i saw a sign on the door about IFC to ask for an app..

i told myself ask for one once you get out from visiting..

my stupid ass forgot lol
Old 05-08-2011, 07:50 PM

[quote=DJ22;5904550]
Quote:
Originally Posted by traviesita View Post
Currently there is not IFC members. The Lt. from Visiting said hed been there since Dec of 2009 and he's not seen a IFC Meeting.

Hope this helps.

I would love to be on this commitee. I am there every weekend anyway. My husband is from A yard, but is current in B yard Ad Seg, which has been okay with me since A yard has been on lockdown forever. But I will talk to the Lt Denning this Saturday and find out who is the prison contact for the IFC is.
Anyone else from KVSP want to volunteer for this sounds good to me, no wonder none of us has heard about this committee until now.
I would totally join the committee. Let's get this started.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Still loving my hubby...

Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meximami707 View Post
hey ladies.. i saw a sign on the door about IFC to ask for an app..

i told myself ask for one once you get out from visiting..

my stupid ass forgot lol
You dont have to ask for a form babe, they are on the wall to the right when you walk in to processing.

The Following User Says Thank You to ALWAYS HERE 4 M For This Useful Post:
meximami707 (05-09-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Loves of his life

So I know that in order to become an IFC we can't have a kind of disciplinary actions on our background and especially none for excessive contact. The only thing I know I have is a warning for excessive contact, does that count? I'm still really interested in becoming an IFC member. I haven't really talked about it with my husband but maybe a few times of mentioning the IFC, however I do think that an IFC committee is integral at all prisons in making things happen.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 AM

So ladies when are we gonna get this IFC program started?? I think there's A LOT of issues here at KVSP that we need to start getting cleared up! I'm more then down to meet once a month a represent for D yard! So lets do the damn thing!!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:33 PM

I want to but I live so damn far. Its a 5 hour drive. And I'm NOT trying to sound fucked up.. BUT once my bf gets out in November, I would have no other reason to go back to Delano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lonesome View Post
So ladies when are we gonna get this IFC program started?? I think there's A LOT of issues here at KVSP that we need to start getting cleared up! I'm more then down to meet once a month a represent for D yard! So lets do the damn thing!!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:55 PM
I miss my man

I would love to join the IFC however my husband and I have been suspended for excessive contact...LOLZ...but I would love for the food in the visiting room to be brought up! I mean we have to eat and we are gonna be overpaying for it but at least can you give us some variety of decent food!!! I mean yesterday all they had in ALL 3 machines was burritos and tacos...oh yeah and subs. I mean what happened to the pizzas (my hubbys fave) and the cheeseburgers???

Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsPrincess81 View Post
I would love to join the IFC however my husband and I have been suspended for excessive contact...LOLZ...but I would love for the food in the visiting room to be brought up! I mean we have to eat and we are gonna be overpaying for it but at least can you give us some variety of decent food!!! I mean yesterday all they had in ALL 3 machines was burritos and tacos...oh yeah and subs. I mean what happened to the pizzas (my hubbys fave) and the cheeseburgers???
The vendors do this on purpose so we are forced to buy their 6.50 crap.

Also just an FYI when you open those vending machine slots do it slowly. Seems the vendors are not giving ones money lost and are passing the buck to CDC, saying they are owned by CDC so you need to fill out a paper and wait who knows how many months.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Loves of his life

I agree with Mr.Lonesome, we definately need to get the IFC up and running here @ KVSP. I know there is an application that needs to be filled out. I will try to obtain a copy this weekend, if southerners are off LD and I'm able to go visit. I will be sure to mention it again to my husband to make sure we are on the same page about the IFC and if all is good then I'm for sure ready to get this ball rolling !!

Traviesita, so do you think the warning I have will effect me bing a part of the IFC? Also, can there be more than one rep per yard? Thanks girl