Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Jersey General Prison Talk Prison related discussions that do not fit anywhere else in the NJ forums

Old 12-19-2010, 10:02 AM

Default Child support (Do they have to pay while they're incarcerated?)

Does child support get ordered to stop once they are go to prison for longer than a year? Not that i ever got any to begin With lol
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2010, 03:11 PM

He doesnt have money to send but, it still adds up some inmates get a new order to drop it down because they are in but, it will never stop they will put a freeze on it for not sending out a warrant but, it will build up while they are in and they have to notified them when they are released and if not then they will be picked up. U can also track it on the web site u can see it still goes up I know they have a child support web site
Old 12-20-2010, 03:48 PM

thanks I have been on and it does keep going up, but someone told me that when they are locked up it stops...but thanks for the response
Old 12-20-2010, 04:07 PM

In Kentucky, now this has been about 8 years ago, But they keep adding it on, after they get out of jail/prison they have 8 weeks to get a job and 6 weeks to get behind after that (or vice versa) then they are on the hook for another warrant.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM

How is anyone able to catch up on back child support....i mean just getting out of prison it m ust just be hard to find a job...i don't think that makes any excuse because I bust my hump to pay bills and give my son the things he needs or wants....and I do it all on n my own
Old 12-22-2010, 03:18 PM

Well i know they told my hubby that after 2 or 3 months he has to go back up and set up a payment arrangement but with my hubby his is all back support all of his kids are adults now and have been removed off his support order and he just owes from when the youngest was still in high school her last year of High school. and any other back support that was owed which I have his paper work on how much is his back support but good luck hopefully this helped
Old 12-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,641 Posts

in NJ they have to request a child support hearing and it gets lowered. i know when my brother's dad was locked up his support went down to 7$ a month and it will come out of his state pay. if he doesnt request a reduction it will stay at the amount it is set for now and build up.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean123 View Post
in NJ they have to request a child support hearing and it gets lowered. i know when my brother's dad was locked up his support went down to 7$ a month and it will come out of his state pay. if he doesnt request a reduction it will stay at the amount it is set for now and build up.
That blows my mind. In Cali if you're locked up for more then 30 days (county or state time) or if anyone in your family unit is on welfare you are automatically exempt from paying any child support.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Dallas DIVA Doll
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,020 Times in 805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Duncan View Post
That blows my mind. In Cali if you're locked up for more then 30 days (county or state time) or if anyone in your family unit is on welfare you are automatically exempt from paying any child support.
My husband is in Texas and he has 16 y.o. twin girls; his ex had a support order in effect that ordered him to pay $146.00 a week and he was current at the time of his arrest. They charged him the same rate for 30 days after he was arrested meaning he owed her $584.00 plus $210.00 for his share of their medical and dental insurance that his job was ordered to deduct each month. After the 30 days passed his ex applied and received welfare, food stamps and medicaid so his payments were suspended. About 14 months later he received a letter ordering him to submit to DNA testing so that the state could determine if he was the biological father of these two minor girls that were getting government assistance; he is, he has never disputed that and at that time he was told he would be required to reimburse the state for 3/4 of the money she is getting, the DNA test plus pay for any medical and dental services they pay for on their behalf. Also when he was sent to TDC he had approx. $1,200 on his books sent to him by various friends and relatives; they took $794.00 of it for the part he owed her for the 30 days before the payments were suspended.
Now I'm cool with this, he's their father and he should support them IMO; the only part that wrecks my nerves is that SHE attempted to come after ME a few months after we got married last year. She did not succeed but her attorney damn sure tried and in doing so she now knows exactly where I live and work, how many hours a week I work and how much money I make and had in my bank accounts! I have a minor son myself that I work hard and support WITHOUT GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE so WTF makes her think I should support her kids while she sits at home on her lazy a$$ making more babies with his former best friend?....Marcia

Free at last...Together 4-Ever

Our Baby: Miss Ayleah Zaide Brooks born... Jan. 8,2012 8 lbs. 1oz.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:28 AM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

They were "generous" to reduce his payments to $35 per month from $800 starting in December. That said, he was unemployed since January. Was on probation, revoked in September. Has been in prison since Sept serving 2 years. And two months later his ex dragged him to court to have his financials reevaluated because she felt he should be paying her the $800. Oh - on the side, it's through her that he has been putting up with this whole mess for the last 3 years in the first place. Duh woman.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Yea mu hubby ex tried that and they said if we did that they would have to bring her hubby in and she didnt like that because he makes good money and they wouldnt of gotten anything because they make more than us but in the state of NJ their spouse having nothing to do with there past children. Its over for me know they are adults now and living their own life and having children and ect. So we just have back support from one when he went in she was in her last year of high school
Old 10-11-2012, 03:45 PM
4everHisLady<3

Unhappy Child support modification!!!! Helpppppp!!!

My hubby has 2 kids from a previous marriage that he pays child support for. When he was initially incarcerated he filed to suspend his child support due to indigency and of course the courts turned it down. In the meantime he has been locked up for 7 years & within that time his childsupport has backed up to $40,000.00 We are a couple of idiots because, between the two of us we never realized that he should have filed for a support modification. My question is: Is it too late to file for a support modification, and if it is granted will NJ backdate it to the date of him being locked up?? Please if anyone knows anything about this I would greatly appreciate your help/advice!! Thanks!!!