Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Ohio General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Ohio that do not fit into any other Ohio subforum.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:41 PM

Default Who determines what prison an inmate goes to?

I would like to know who determines where an inmate goes and how it is determined. The reason I want to know is because my son is into the fifth month of his 11mo sentence. He was sent to Noble after 2 wks at CRC. His crimes were non violent and he is an easy going person. Since Noble is one of the worse prisons for violence and gangs I really don't know why he would be sent there. Is it determined by the openings in the prisons, does the sentencing judge have something to do with it or what? I know alot of people who did worse crimes and violent crimes that were sent to less violent prisons such as the one in Chillicothe. Also does anyone know if a person would have a case against a hired lawyer that denied his clients request for inpt drug rehab and instead went with the plea agreement that was probabtion etc and my son later commited crime while on probabtion due to his addiction. Was his rights violated when the lawyer from the first case did not request this be part of the plea bargain. He just told my son to stay out of trouble..easier said than done when addicted to drugs and living in the same town where every drug dealer gets off and continues on to deal the drugs. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Friends for life

It's purely based on offense, the person and their attitude towards rehabilitation and the availability of an opening in the institution. But, honestly, it all comes down to security level. If your son is determined to be a minimum security type offender, he will goto a facility that is minimum security or would be house in the minimum security section of a given institution. The sentencing judge really has nothing to do with it, it's all determined once the person gets to CRC and their security level and risk is assessed and the case manager makes a determination where to send the person.

My guy is in for a murder charge and he's in Ross in Chillicothe and he's what is considered "close security" It's not maximum, but a step below that. He's able to get along just fine at Ross, but I haven't heard much about Chillicothe prison which is right across from Ross. But, yeah, it truly is determined by security classification.

Noble is synonymous for housing drug charges. My cousin was sentenced to Noble for 5 months after his conviction for drug abuse and possession after he came up dirty on a drug test while on probation. That prison alone got that boy clean and he's been clean ever since, just because he never wants to be in prison again, let alone Noble. I feel for you, I really do. I hate to think about what goes on inside the prison walls at times. I have to put it out of my mind at times because I would go crazy if I thought about it as much as I want to.

As for your son's request for treatment, it's not up to him what his request is. At that point, the lawyer knew either rehab wasn't an option anymore or the prosecutor has already said there would be no plea that involved rehab. We just don't know what lawyers on both sides discussed before making it to the final court date. It stinks, to put mildly. They are all very friendly with each other, and who knows what they discuss when their clients aren't around. The problem with your son's case, in the attorney's eyes, is that your son had a responsibility while on probation to stay out of trouble and he didn't. He's going to say that you could have or he could (your son) have checked into a treatment facility on his own during his probation, it doesn't have to be part of the plea agreement. Basically, it all comes down to the lawyer and the judges and everyone in between holding people accountable and responsibility to be taken.

In no way do I mean this harsh, I'm just giving it to you based on how my cousin was treated during his arrest for drug charges. It's not fair at times and it's hard when drug addiction causes other crimes to be committed. They just don't care, but they are all for locking people up. How about treating the addiction and helping with that instead of locking people up all the time? Seems to be a foreign word to these criminal justice people at times, it really does, and our loved ones suffer along with us.

I hope your son makes it through everything alright and he keeps his chin up and gets clean and turns everything around for the better!! I'm currently in college for criminal justice and I am hoping to find a career in policy and procedure or Constitutional Law when I graduate this spring. The criminal justice system is broken and something needs to be done. I might be only one person, but I'm going to do my best to make a difference and if that's only small thing to change, then it's a start!!
mom in fremont (12-18-2010)
Old 11-26-2010, 04:17 PM

Angry

Thanks so much for your response and I hope and pray that you are able to make changes in the system for it is sorely needed...our town is a joke when it comes to lawyers,judge and prosecutors...they don't want to change the drug problems of the town cause if they do it will slow down the flow of money for them..no lie..judge caught buying drugs along with a local lawyer..judge did community service and lawyer went to rehab...well known that most all of them use cocaine even the former prosecutor who is now an administrator at our local hospital. So tell me this is not a corrupt town, but unfortunately, those that probably could do something to report this to the right administrations out of this county are afraid to do so.

The drug dealers cases are reduced to misdemeanors by the same judge mentioned earlier and they are back on the streets to sell more. The young people that commit crimes of theft to buy their drugs are sentenced to prison instead of an inpt rehab. The common pleas judge put an article in the paper that said he likes to give them a second chance..yeah a second chance to mess up by not sending them to rehab and knowing that they will most like be back in his court.

My son's sentence is 11 mos 5th degree felonies for probabation violation..he will have 2 more yrs probabtion with 3 yrs added parole after that.

But anyway, thanks for the info and yes the lawyers etc. are all friends in this small town and party together. I am sure they have a good laugh about the money they make from the families cause we know we are for the part the ones who are paying up.

Glad your family member is doing better and sorry that your going through this with your guy...best wishes.

Last edited by mehman; 11-26-2010 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: add
Old 11-27-2010, 05:20 PM

Why then would one be sent to Belmont security level 1b in for non support?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestyvixen05 View Post
It's purely based on offense, the person and their attitude towards rehabilitation and the availability of an opening in the institution. But, honestly, it all comes down to security level. If your son is determined to be a minimum security type offender, he will goto a facility that is minimum security or would be house in the minimum security section of a given institution. The sentencing judge really has nothing to do with it, it's all determined once the person gets to CRC and their security level and risk is assessed and the case manager makes a determination where to send the person.

My guy is in for a murder charge and he's in Ross in Chillicothe and he's what is considered "close security" It's not maximum, but a step below that. He's able to get along just fine at Ross, but I haven't heard much about Chillicothe prison which is right across from Ross. But, yeah, it truly is determined by security classification.

Noble is synonymous for housing drug charges. My cousin was sentenced to Noble for 5 months after his conviction for drug abuse and possession after he came up dirty on a drug test while on probation. That prison alone got that boy clean and he's been clean ever since, just because he never wants to be in prison again, let alone Noble. I feel for you, I really do. I hate to think about what goes on inside the prison walls at times. I have to put it out of my mind at times because I would go crazy if I thought about it as much as I want to.

As for your son's request for treatment, it's not up to him what his request is. At that point, the lawyer knew either rehab wasn't an option anymore or the prosecutor has already said there would be no plea that involved rehab. We just don't know what lawyers on both sides discussed before making it to the final court date. It stinks, to put mildly. They are all very friendly with each other, and who knows what they discuss when their clients aren't around. The problem with your son's case, in the attorney's eyes, is that your son had a responsibility while on probation to stay out of trouble and he didn't. He's going to say that you could have or he could (your son) have checked into a treatment facility on his own during his probation, it doesn't have to be part of the plea agreement. Basically, it all comes down to the lawyer and the judges and everyone in between holding people accountable and responsibility to be taken.

In no way do I mean this harsh, I'm just giving it to you based on how my cousin was treated during his arrest for drug charges. It's not fair at times and it's hard when drug addiction causes other crimes to be committed. They just don't care, but they are all for locking people up. How about treating the addiction and helping with that instead of locking people up all the time? Seems to be a foreign word to these criminal justice people at times, it really does, and our loved ones suffer along with us.

I hope your son makes it through everything alright and he keeps his chin up and gets clean and turns everything around for the better!! I'm currently in college for criminal justice and I am hoping to find a career in policy and procedure or Constitutional Law when I graduate this spring. The criminal justice system is broken and something needs to be done. I might be only one person, but I'm going to do my best to make a difference and if that's only small thing to change, then it's a start!!
Old 11-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Friends for life

Because it's what the case manager at CRC decided would best fit the offender. Like I said, it's not fair, but that's how it happens, unfortunately! If he's a level 1, that's minimum security. It doesn't get any lower than that. Sure, he's gonna be in a prison with 2, 3's and in some other prisons 4's and 5's, but there is no prison that just has minimum security unless it's a halfway house or treatment facility.

Thanks Mehman! This guy that is in, he's just a friend, a family friend, I've known since he was younger. He went in 17 and is serving 18 to life for murder after shooting someone at a party who was beating up on his friend. I don't condone what he did, he shouldn't have had a gun and he didn't need to shoot the guy. I just simply provide support and friendship and whatever else I can be for him while he spends at least the next 11 years before he has a parole hearing.

My focus in my career is going to be the abolishment of the life sentence for a juvenile offender, especially when there is a no previous criminal record of a juvenile offender. Some offenses and offenders deserve to be imprisoned for many years, I don't disagree with that, but the juveniles need a chance. It's one thing to sentence someone to 40 years, it's another to say 25 to life. I want to get that life tail taken away. If the offense is serious enough, then sure, sentence to many many years, but let's get that life tail off for a juvenile offender who has a chance to make it in the world down the road. We all made decisions as teenagers that we know we wouldn't make now as did the juveniles who committed offenses serious enough to warrant prison in the adult system. The key is if the juvenile offender learns and becomes someone better while in the inside, what kind of message are we sending when we sentence him or her to life without taking into account that the person can change. I might not succedd, but, I'm going to certainly try until the last door is closed in my face :-)

It is so sad that the entire judicial and legal teams of many counties are all buddies and enjoy living their lives while they cause others to suffer. The same thing happens in the small town I am in now and it just seems like there is nothing to do to make it fixable! It's the good old boys network and it sucks, to be blunt!

I wish the best for your son and for you. It's going to be a tough fight for him, but with you on his side and the good head on your shoulders, I think he's got a fighting chance to make it! I hope it all turns out for the best for him!!! :-) Keep me posted if you hear any good news or anything I might be able to answer. If I can't, i know a lot of people on here can or it can be looked up very quick! :-)
xxxaxxx (12-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2010, 07:15 PM

I have a couple of answers but not all....First the level of security makes a difference...Whether he is minimum, medium or close supervision or maximum. Second, there are specific programs at various prisons that assist with various issues, such as rehabilitation in various areas (for example...substance abuse), next they usually try to find a close prison near to the offender's home. If your loved one is over 2 hours away (via Mapquest) you can get a transfer to a closer institution. Keeping these objectives in mind, do a little research and see if your loved one is appropriately placed, then go from there. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehman View Post
I would like to know who determines where an inmate goes and how it is determined. The reason I want to know is because my son is into the fifth month of his 11mo sentence. He was sent to Noble after 2 wks at CRC. His crimes were non violent and he is an easy going person. Since Noble is one of the worse prisons for violence and gangs I really don't know why he would be sent there. Is it determined by the openings in the prisons, does the sentencing judge have something to do with it or what? I know alot of people who did worse crimes and violent crimes that were sent to less violent prisons such as the one in Chillicothe. Also does anyone know if a person would have a case against a hired lawyer that denied his clients request for inpt drug rehab and instead went with the plea agreement that was probabtion etc and my son later commited crime while on probabtion due to his addiction. Was his rights violated when the lawyer from the first case did not request this be part of the plea bargain. He just told my son to stay out of trouble..easier said than done when addicted to drugs and living in the same town where every drug dealer gets off and continues on to deal the drugs. Thanks for any info.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetswife View Post
I have a couple of answers but not all....First the level of security makes a difference...Whether he is minimum, medium or close supervision or maximum. Second, there are specific programs at various prisons that assist with various issues, such as rehabilitation in various areas (for example...substance abuse), next they usually try to find a close prison near to the offender's home. If your loved one is over 2 hours away (via Mapquest) you can get a transfer to a closer institution. Keeping these objectives in mind, do a little research and see if your loved one is appropriately placed, then go from there. Good luck.
PS Try calling the house or dorm or whatever your particular prison calls their person in charge of the group where your son resides.....ours is called a case manager..... and if you are not satisfied, call the warden and still if you are not satisfied, call or write to the higher ups at the state level. The DRC website is easy to navigate and has a LOT of answers and info.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Friends for life

Oh yeah, that's definitely a good determining factor, the programs offered at the various institutions plays a big part in where they go.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:35 AM

central office...bureau of classification also, call them too
Old 11-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Previously banned member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopster View Post
central office...bureau of classification also, call them too
Yup this is correct too. Ive written to the gentleman(excuse me ive forgotten his name)and requested where I wanted my husband to go twice and sure enuff he was able to.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:28 PM

Okay so since Belmot is 4 hrs from me then I just call the bureau of classification and ask them to put him closer. He still is in reception now how long will it take approx for them to change where he will be sent and how soon will they send him to belmont he was just given his security level b4 Thanksgiving? Please bear with me this is all new to me