Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OKLAHOMA > Oklahoma DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Oklahoma DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Oklahoma Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:37 PM

Exclamation How to get an inmate transfered???

I called and wrote everyone and anyone to request that my husband be transferred out of OSP in McAlester to another facility that could offer him rehab services so that he could show the world that he did want to change and that we wanted a chance to be given parole. Months later, I got my wish and they transferred my husband to LCF in Lawton. I have sent letters and made calls again and requested that my husband be transferred to another facility but I am always told the same thing...that my husband is in a facility that best meets his needs, the facility is the correct security level and offers rehab courses that were suggested by DOC for him. I am told that visitation is a privilege and not a law. My plea for another transfer is that my husband has had no conducts against him and it seems every time that I turn around the facility is under lock down. If they are under lock down they can not go to any courses and besides my husband has already completed all the courses that DOC suggested would benefit him. I requested a move of facility as well for what couple of times we have got to visit in Lawton in is very difficult for us to do. It is not just the mileage but our youngest son has SID and Asperger's and this makes it very difficult for long travel and visits in a large public place for our youngest son does not and can not act like others and they do expect him to. It is hard enough to get a sitter for him just so I can work and our youngest son has a right to see his dad just like anyone else. In fact it is recommended that I take our youngest son to visit his dad for any changes within our son's routine and life is very upsetting to him. I know that it is not easy on anyone (kids mostly) to see our loved ones in these facility but I have to fight for our youngest son and his rights too. Please, if someone can tell me what I can do?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:34 PM

What facility do you want him moved to?? Who is your State Senator or Representive? How long has he been at Lawton? (OP's say an inmate must be at a facility a year before they can request another move.) When he was at OSP did you request a certain facility or just that he leave OSP?

For those of you that like to jump my case, I'm not being just nosey either. More than likely there won't be a way that DOC will allow a move but depending on the answers to some of those questions I might be able to point her in a direction to find help.

Last edited by docwatchdog; 07-21-2010 at 07:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to docwatchdog For This Useful Post:
irshnrse (07-26-2010)
Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Thank you docwatchdog. My husband has been in LCF for a little more than a year. I do not know what facility to request. Stringtown is the closer of all the facilities. I am clueless as to how large the visitation area is and what visitation is like. There are so many issues with our son's disorders that the rules that I understand they have to enforce just are not rules that our son can always manage. When I requested that they transfer my husband when he was in OSP I was told that they had to wait for an available bed and when one came open they would transfer him. My husband did request a yard close to home but we were informed that we can not choose a facility. I do not even know how to find a facility that would make things easier for our youngest son to visit. I want to see my husband and our boys want to see him too. I know that when he was in OSP that his case manager thought my husband was a role model inmate and a candidate for a transfer to a medium security facility. He may get a new level (level 3) with his next review but that is whole other post that I submitted. If he is given a level 3 can we request a minimum security facility? Could my husband's case manager request minimum security if he gives him a level 3? I am so confused on all of this.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:29 PM

According to my fiance', you can go to a minimum with a Level 2, Class X write up at that!.....so it's not that you have to be on a "certain level"......but thing alot of things have to be "in order"...

That's all I know....(not a whole lot, I know) .. .. but that's my

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwgirl View Post
Thank you docwatchdog. My husband has been in LCF for a little more than a year. I do not know what facility to request. Stringtown is the closer of all the facilities. I am clueless as to how large the visitation area is and what visitation is like. There are so many issues with our son's disorders that the rules that I understand they have to enforce just are not rules that our son can always manage. When I requested that they transfer my husband when he was in OSP I was told that they had to wait for an available bed and when one came open they would transfer him. My husband did request a yard close to home but we were informed that we can not choose a facility. I do not even know how to find a facility that would make things easier for our youngest son to visit. I want to see my husband and our boys want to see him too. I know that when he was in OSP that his case manager thought my husband was a role model inmate and a candidate for a transfer to a medium security facility. He may get a new level (level 3) with his next review but that is whole other post that I submitted. If he is given a level 3 can we request a minimum security facility? Could my husband's case manager request minimum security if he gives him a level 3? I am so confused on all of this.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 PM

Thank you Lamarsbigsexy. I do not understand why we are having such a difficult time with transfers and levels. If I had the money I would hire a lawyer but I do not even know if a lawyer could help. My husband has had no conducts against him and he has served almost 5 years on a 10 year sentence. We are at a level 2 and have been for years. I just want to see the one I love. When we visit I am in constant worry and pay constant and close attention to our youngest son for any noise, any movement, and just almost anything can lead to a break down for him. Bathrooms, a whole issue in its self, he can not use a public bathroom with the door closed. The list of things go on and on. Therapist tell me that our son needs to keep contact with his dad for it will be hard enough on him with just the change of dad being at home. Therapist tell me just to talk to the facility and the facility tells me that they have rules. I just thought with a minimum security facility that we could go outside and that it would not be so crowded and so strict if my son did start to rock and get loud.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:02 AM

jdwgirl-

out of curiosity - has anyone outside of you or your family wrote the prison/DOC?

when did your husband become eligible for parole and does he have any violent priors?

I don't want to play upon hopes that I could help, but my father was the associate warden of the federal prison here in El Reno for near 20 years and still mingles with several friends that serve in the same role. So thinkin if I had an idea of everything in its entirety and what you are trying to get done - that maybe I present it to my father and see what, if any, ideas he could add.

It's ironic - because it's been hard to find any info on what I am facing right now - heck I still haven't even had charges filed against me yet -- but in reading your sincere writings its hard to ignore that my father has extremely extensive experience in prison systems and could maybe offer ideas. It definitely couldn't hurt. And I really feel for the good people on here who have the integrity to really stick by their loved ones in the ways I see on here - so I can't in good faith not try to help someone if I think I possibly can ya know. If you'd like - you could send me a p.m. and maybe figure a nugget or 2 out. If ultimately I can't be helpful I am sorry, but I'd like to try and like I said -with the experience my father has with prison systems....maybe.

just pm when you have the time.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwgirl View Post
Ok since he has been there over a year, if he hasn't all ready done so he needs to put in a request to transfer & put in it his preference of MACC and explain about your son. If your Dr. will do a letter to explain how much it would help your son send a copy to your husband to attach to his request. Also contact your state Senator and Reprsentative and explain why you need him moved also give them a copy of the letter from the Dr.
Since he is at Lawton contact Renee Watkins too. She is over private prisons for DOC. Give her all the info. If that doesn't work then contact the BOC members, by letter or better yet hand deliver the letters at a BOC meeting where you can talk to them also. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to docwatchdog For This Useful Post:
irshnrse (07-26-2010)
Old 07-25-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson14 View Post
jdwgirl-

out of curiosity - has anyone outside of you or your family wrote the prison/DOC?

when did your husband become eligible for parole and does he have any violent priors?

I don't want to play upon hopes that I could help, but my father was the associate warden of the federal prison here in El Reno for near 20 years and still mingles with several friends that serve in the same role. So thinkin if I had an idea of everything in its entirety and what you are trying to get done - that maybe I present it to my father and see what, if any, ideas he could add.

It's ironic - because it's been hard to find any info on what I am facing right now - heck I still haven't even had charges filed against me yet -- but in reading your sincere writings its hard to ignore that my father has extremely extensive experience in prison systems and could maybe offer ideas. It definitely couldn't hurt. And I really feel for the good people on here who have the integrity to really stick by their loved ones in the ways I see on here - so I can't in good faith not try to help someone if I think I possibly can ya know. If you'd like - you could send me a p.m. and maybe figure a nugget or 2 out. If ultimately I can't be helpful I am sorry, but I'd like to try and like I said -with the experience my father has with prison systems....maybe.

just pm when you have the time.
Thanks Jackson14. My husband has not ever been arrested as a violent offender. I spoke to him the other day and he says that they will never transfer him to a minimum yard due to the crime that he has been sentenced to. I would post the crime but if I did so I just know everyone could narrow down (very easily) who my husband is. My husband has served time mostly over alcohol related crimes. No no one has ever written DOC or the prison, just myself. My husband is eligible for parole once a year and the last parole hearing was Feb. of this year. Any ideas would be great and I am so thankful for any suggestions or help. I couldn't even begin to give a name of a facility that would not be so difficult for our youngest son. I do not know of any facility that is equipped or could be easier on those who are on the Autism spectrum.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatchdog View Post
Ok since he has been there over a year, if he hasn't all ready done so he needs to put in a request to transfer & put in it his preference of MACC and explain about your son. If your Dr. will do a letter to explain how much it would help your son send a copy to your husband to attach to his request. Also contact your state Senator and Reprsentative and explain why you need him moved also give them a copy of the letter from the Dr.
Since he is at Lawton contact Renee Watkins too. She is over private prisons for DOC. Give her all the info. If that doesn't work then contact the BOC members, by letter or better yet hand deliver the letters at a BOC meeting where you can talk to them also. Good luck.
Thank you Docwatch. Do you know about MACC and how the visitation area is and how strict the visitations are? I am sure that I can get a letter from his doctor or even therapist. We have been told that my husband can not be transferred due to a hardship. I can ask him to submit the request again but I really do not want to get my hopes up. I have been told that visitation is a privilege and not a right, they do not transfer inmates due to a hardship, and it just makes me feel like my son and I have no rights. I do not want to make any problems for my husband, I just want to see him and I want to see him more than once a year.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:31 PM

I wrote my husband and asked him to submit a request for transfer. I will stay in prayer. If he calls before he gets the letter I will ask him to submit the request when we talk for it will still be a day or two before he gets any postal mail from me. The one real problem is not knowing what facility is best for our youngest son. I understand that they have to have strict guidelines for visits but there are circumstances that not every child (person) would be able to follow.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:56 PM

you might want to write letters to the warden..i was advised to do that cuz im on the same boat, i'm going thru ups and downs trying to get my husband transfered from a facility where he got hurt at.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:13 PM

Thank you Angie1157. Did you write the warden and if so what was your outcome? I will do anything, what is the worst thing that could happen? They tell me sorry but they can't help.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Has anyone any information about International Transfer process. My fiancee is in Federal prison in Canada and I am hopeful that he could get a transfer to Ireland as this is where I live. Sorry if I hijacked this post.... Hope your efforts are working out positively for you and your partner JDW-girl....
Old 09-05-2010, 01:21 PM

We were told that they no longer took requests to be moved to other facilities, that they were basically stuck where they are until they reach lower security level status. My fiance' is 3 1/2 hours from my house and we tried to get him moved closer and that's what we were told.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Smile How to get an inmate transferred to another institution?

I am curious as to how you go about getting an inmate transferred to another institution? My husband is at James Crabtree and has had nothing but grief since he got there. He would like to go to Joe Harp but doesn't know the ropes a I don't know how to help him. Any advice or suggestions would help,please? he is presently in SHU as of yesterday because of some trumped up crap. He needs out of that hell hole! Thanks! Angelface
Old 11-02-2010, 07:34 PM

Unless he's eligible for Minimum, it ain't happenin.........no LATERAL TRANSFERS...unless you aer a really bad trouble maker or you piss off someone and they ship them..........it's so hard to get a transfer now a days....

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelface55 View Post
I am curious as to how you go about getting an inmate transferred to another institution? My husband is at James Crabtree and has had nothing but grief since he got there. He would like to go to Joe Harp but doesn't know the ropes a I don't know how to help him. Any advice or suggestions would help,please? he is presently in SHU as of yesterday because of some trumped up crap. He needs out of that hell hole! Thanks! Angelface
Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 PM

Well guess we're out of luck because Richard is neither! He is in SHU right now because of A trumped up charge over absolutely nothing! A jealous rat ratted him out ! Crabtree is nothing more than an adult daycare center! Makes me sick!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Inmate Fiancee

Correct me if I am wrong but similar to Granite Joe Harp has a min side and med unit.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Thanked 3,888 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMyMan17 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but similar to Granite Joe Harp has a min side and med unit.
No minimum side that am aware of, it does however have a geriatric unit.